• You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1181 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

http://www.independe...e-a6796136.html

Script leaked, couple of neat revelations. Article is spoiler heavy if you care.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1182 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 January 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 05 January 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but the official TFA Monopoly has left out Rey as a playable character in favor of Luke and even Vader (Ren and Finn are both there too, but they make sense). In case you needed another hole through the "they're just avoiding spoilers" nonsense.

I saw that. What a wonky miss. Who does Monopoly? Hasbro again? Gods, what's wrong with them? There's no excuse for leaving her out of a monopoly set. And yeah at this point they can't call out spoilers as a reason...

Dont believe the spoilers thing for an instant. It's classic 'little boys don't want to play w girl action figures' BS.

#1183 User is offline   protoclave 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

i no im coming late to this discusion without reading prior pages but did anyone consider rey might be luke's daughter?

#1184 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 January 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 January 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 05 January 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but the official TFA Monopoly has left out Rey as a playable character in favor of Luke and even Vader (Ren and Finn are both there too, but they make sense). In case you needed another hole through the "they're just avoiding spoilers" nonsense.

I saw that. What a wonky miss. Who does Monopoly? Hasbro again? Gods, what's wrong with them? There's no excuse for leaving her out of a monopoly set. And yeah at this point they can't call out spoilers as a reason...

Dont believe the spoilers thing for an instant. It's classic 'little boys don't want to play w girl action figures' BS.

Agreed. Even if they made the game long ago and "didn't want to spoil" anything...they have released it weeks after the movie, so they can't use that excuse.

Though, as I mentioned above, I will note that there are LOTS of Rey toys out there (meaning I don't think we can go as far as saying that Hasbro is doing the 'little boys don't want to play w girl action figures' BS):

Rey (Starkiller Base) 3.75" Basic Hasbro Figure

Rey (Resistance Outfit) 3.75" Basic Hasbro Figure

Rey with Speeder 3.75" Basic Hasbro Vehicle

Rey 3.75" Black Series Hasbro Figure

Rey 6" Black Series Hasbro Figure

Rey 6" Elite Series Disney Diecast Figure

Rey 12" Hot Toys Figure

Rey Disney Infinity 3.0 Figure

Rey's Speeder Lego Set

Rey Lego Buildable Figure

Rey Pop Funko Vinyl Figure

Various Rey figurines, plushies, bobbleheads, etc.

This doesn't excuse the disclusion of her in the Monopoly game, or that other set, and She SHOULD be in the Millenium Falcon set (she's not, it's Chewie, Finn, and BB-8). But the idea that there are less Rey toys in the various toy lines than other characters is not as true as the outraged are looking it to be. It's not as good as I wish it to be (these above sets SHOULD contain Rey, she's the lead after all)...but lots of people are claiming she's not in the toy lines in a representative way...and she totally is (for the most part).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1185 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

If I hadn't read it here I wouldn't have considered it an issue; our local stores are full of Rey figures.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1186 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Nabbed from a discussion thread. Thought this is succinct.

Attached File  NewmanSW.jpg (35.75K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1187 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Rey Monopoly piece being added to the set after Hasbro responds to kerfuffle about it.

Also at the link, noted nerdy blogger Jill Pantozzi puts things into perspective by noting just how many Rey figures and toys were and are available for purchase...which she says is a big improvement over the same issues with Black Widow and Gamora toys (lack thereof) last year.

Nice to know that Hasbro was listening to the complaints and didn't just fluff them off.

#1188 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

On the contrary. As usual, it's highly disheartening that it takes an outcry for a company focused on children to even attempt the low bar of "not proactively evil".
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1189 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

http://www.newsarama...-star-wars.html

heehee.... 482.... heeeeee

#1190 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

Yikes. I'm not even sure GL should be granted supervised visitation rights.

#1191 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Recently watched it again and I think the things I enjoy are particularly stronger and the things I didn't particular weaker. Pros: the new characters are fun, Finn and Kylo Ren top among them, being the only two 'original' character types (a humanized Stormtropper, and pathetic villain), with Rey being a mash up all three original main heroes (seriously). The ending really works for me, starting with the talk between Han and Ren, the score, the use of light and environment to symbolize the battle between the dark and the light among multiply characters, while a bit on the nose, was effective. Scenes, as themselves, generally are really fun. That being said cons: those scenes never completely jell, they are strangely disembodied, there is not sense of plot, or building suspense, there is no real thematic connection between outside of wanting to do a showing of the Star Wars' greatest hits--feels weirdly episodic which doesn't create the best cinematic experience. Which brings up the point that the movie is extremely derivative or other Star Wars' material (unlike the original Star Wars which where derivative of other movies--WW1 movies, samurai movies, sci-fi pulps, etc...) and looses a lot of the dramatic tension because of it. Death Stars, Dark Lords, Trench Runs oh my! Finally, while I enjoyed the characters, their characterization was to quick--in fact everything about the film was to quick, and I don't say this often about films, but this one could had used a longer run time.

All in all I think is was good film, a better Star Wars flick, but not really a great film outside of its Star Wars context like Empire Strikes Back. My hopes the sequel is more originality, better character building (in the sense they have good, rock solid foundations here), and a plot that isn't a rehash of Empire Strikes Back. Maybe introduce a Sith opposed to both Supreme Leader Snork and the Jedi--third options in the Star Wars universe were always interesting like the Imperial Knights from the Legacy comic, or even Mandalorians. I'm very hopeful though.

#1192 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

Seeing it a third time tomorrow with my in-laws. Should be good times.

Sidenote: My Black Series Kylo Ren voice changer helmet came and it's AMAZEBALLS. I had to follow a quick instruction youtube on a piece of plastic that needed removed from behind the inner mic to make the voice changer work better (and it totally does), but along with the Ren ForceFX lightsaber, this is just an amazing collector piece that looks slick as hell on my shelf!

#1193 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

Who will be young Han Solo?

http://www.news.com....c8f7a2f7e83ddda
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1194 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 12 January 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

Who will be young Han Solo?

http://www.news.com....c8f7a2f7e83ddda

That's not the entire short list, those are the name-names...I still have hopes that Anthony Ingruber is on the rest of the list and that he gets chosen....becasue if he doesn't they are STUPID. He literally IS a young Harrison Ford.

And he's already done it once...Here he is playing Young Ford in Age of Adeline.

#1195 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:37 AM

Spoiler

#1196 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Dammit Worry I never even considered that

#1197 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

View Postworry, on 14 January 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Spoiler

I only started considering this the other day as I overheard it in the comic shop as a point with those two characters, and then this comic showed up. There's really no other way around it. That scene is even MORE poignant when you add that in.

#1198 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ˝ man, ˝ amazing

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 January 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

I only started considering this the other day as I overheard it in the comic shop as a point with those two characters, and then this comic showed up. There's really no other way around it. That scene is even MORE poignant when you add that in.

It does make sense thinking of it like that. ...but come on, Chewie was a long ways off. It's not like he's a master sniper. Sure emotion probably factored into his aim, but I think it was more rage/shock over what just happened.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#1199 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostBulwyf, on 14 January 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 January 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Spoiler

It does make sense thinking of it like that. ...but come on, Chewie was a long ways off. It's not like he's a master sniper. Sure emotion probably factored into his aim, but I think it was more rage/shock over what just happened.

Spoiler

#1200 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ˝ man, ˝ amazing

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

side note. What's the deal w/ bowcasters anyways? 15 or 20 years ago I probably knew the answer.

I thought it was supposed to be either heavier or have above average kickback. That's why a beefcake like chewy used it since he was above average strong.

Han used it several times during the movie and it seemed to be as light as his regular blaster and no additional recoil/kickback.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users