• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1161 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 December 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 30 December 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 December 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

i can get behind this, getting tired of having to repeat the same things over and over again.

Which is why many pages back, I asked the question of "Why aren't the Death Stars or Star Destroyers droids too?"

Let us explore consciousness within Star Wars.

Because when you're a society based around the enslavement of what are pretty clearly sentient beings, you're better off not handing those beings the really big guns.

Nice idea! judging from R2 and BB8 I would say AI has progressed a lot. Are the Clone Wars cartoon series canon? Droids had charge of ships there.

I think AI could at least be partially implemented in ships i.e. it would make possible greater automation while ensuring a human/sentient living supervisory element.

Might actually make the death stars harder to blow upPosted Image

#1162 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

i can get behind this, getting tired of having to repeat the same things over and over again.

Which is why many pages back, I asked the question of "Why aren't the Death Stars or Star Destroyers droids too?"

short answer:Personhood of robots (post humanism is the term i've read for it) is a bit of a high brow subject for a hollywood blockbuster hit. Especially when in the movies only deal with a binary view of morality (and before everyone jumps down my throat, yes im aware of the existence of grey jedi. However none of the movies feature grey jedis so it's not what i'm talking about)

Long answer: There's obviously some sort of AI going on. Remember the sweeper droids? (small black things that roll around) but it's obviously shackled because you don't want robots going wild and murdering people everywhere (which im pretty sure has occured, just not at the level in frank hebert's dune series). Also the empire came from the republic which had a very nasty history with fighting droids. So because of the stygma around droids thats likely why the empire relies on flesh and blood. (that and clones were usually made out to be inferior to clones, at least from what i've come acrosss). Not that it couldn't be done i mean look at this guy

#1163 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

There was an EU story where the droid assassin from that scene with Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters manages to secretly put his consciousness into the second Death Star AND IS SECRETLY ABOUT TO TAKE OVER THE GALAXY but at the very exact definite moment his dastardly plan is about to succeed the Death Star explodes.

There are people in this world who will tell you with a straight face that the EU is worth reading.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1164 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 December 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

There was an EU story where the droid assassin from that scene with Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters manages to secretly put his consciousness into the second Death Star AND IS SECRETLY ABOUT TO TAKE OVER THE GALAXY but at the very exact definite moment his dastardly plan is about to succeed the Death Star explodes.

There are people in this world who will tell you with a straight face that the EU is worth reading.

Is the EU sanctioned in any way shape or form? Like can i just take the SW IP and write a bunch of stories, get published and be considered part of the EU

#1165 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

You can. For instance I wrote a companion novella called The Force Asleepens about what happens to the galaxy at night.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1166 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

View Postworry, on 30 December 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

You can. For instance I wrote a companion novella called The Force Asleepens about what happens to the galaxy at night.

what a twist

#1167 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

I dunno. It's pretty dark.

#1168 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

Woo! Saw it tonight for the first time, IMAX 3D. Such a blast! What an awesome film with a great SW feel to it, nothing like the horribly jangly prequels. Proper epic fun. Loved every minute of it!
Having said that,
Spoiler

It didn't spoil my enjoyment, anyway. Shame it did for others. I guess 30 years is a long time to build expectations.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1169 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 December 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

So not even a powerful machine intelligence on the verge of galactic domination can stop a Death Star from being blown up? Sigh....

#1170 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

I saw it! Loved it but boy did they play safe. My only comment is that in the car on the way home I said

Spoiler

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1171 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

We don't, it's a galaxy far, far away.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1172 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostGorefest, on 31 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

So ................... ANY galaxy except this one?

They are all far far away. Although JJ Abrams could get there instantaneously through hyperspace.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1173 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostNevyn, on 31 December 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

They are all far far away. Although JJ Abrams could get there instantaneously through hyperspace.

Andromeda!! Its the only logical solution. Andromeda is on a long term collision course with the Milky Way. That's why each movie starts with the line

"A long long time ago in a galaxy far far way"

These stories are from before. The force conflict ends when the two galaxies collide and everyone dies.

#1174 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostAndorion, on 31 December 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Andromeda!! Its the only logical solution. Andromeda is on a long term collision course with the Milky Way. That's why each movie starts with the line

These stories are from before. The force conflict ends when the two galaxies collide and everyone dies.

I read somewhere that the collision is not an actual collision but more like a merge since the distance between stars and planets are vast :D
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#1175 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

View Postiso9001, on 31 December 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 31 December 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I read somewhere that the collision is not an actual collision but more like a merge since the distance between stars and planets are vast :D

Unless of course your particular planet gets brushed a bit too close by a new comet.

#1176 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

http://m.uk.ign.com/...ending-and-more

New details to get your teeth in to...

Cannot quote as on my phone but it adds to the discussion here. Very interesting points brought up.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1177 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the official TFA Monopoly has left out Rey as a playable character in favor of Luke and even Vader (Ren and Finn are both there too, but they make sense). In case you needed another hole through the "they're just avoiding spoilers" nonsense.

#1178 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

Saw it, enjoyed it lots.I could nitpick a few things but meh, too much fun to dwell on the nits.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1179 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

View Postworry, on 05 January 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but the official TFA Monopoly has left out Rey as a playable character in favor of Luke and even Vader (Ren and Finn are both there too, but they make sense). In case you needed another hole through the "they're just avoiding spoilers" nonsense.

I saw that. What a wonky miss. Who does Monopoly? Hasbro again? Gods, what's wrong with them? There's no excuse for leaving her out of a monopoly set. And yeah at this point they can't call out spoilers as a reason.

On a slightly nicer note, I was in the toys r us the other day and saw a bunch of Black Series Rey figures. Which was cool. I know that people think that they made less of her figure and that's what is wrong with kids not being able to find her...but the guy at toys r us said he gets the same amount of each black series item, they just sell differently. Rey just happened to be more popuar than Finn (who's figure you can easily find in any given store).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1180 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

Thought it was good, not great.

The same criticisms i had have already been discussed here at length so i wont get into it, But I really enjoyed the new characters, probably the best part of the movie for me. On the other hand, the portrayal of the older characters bothered me the most, especially Solo.

But i need to watch it again.

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users