The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1141 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 December 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

My answer to all this:

It's Star Wars.

Not everyone is critically examining a big, fun, fantasy space opera for internal consistency or narrative inconsistencies.

I'm certainly not.

I think that people naturally critically examine more or less everything they watch, read, have an opinion on, etc. It's not a matter of sitting down and deciding to closely examine every frame of the film -- it's just part of the process of watching a film, and reacting to it (and trying to explain your reaction to it). I don't think that's a case of being overly critical; when I say "critically examining" I essentially mean "watching with any critical or opinion based faculty involved" which I would assume everyone here did, yourself included.

Being a fantasy space opera doesn't mean it's not worth critical examination -- especially when people are trying to explain what made them like or dislike different parts of the movie.

I find that movies are less fun -- for me -- when my immersion is broken by narrative inconsistencies, contrivances, etc. This isn't to say that they stop me enjoying the film. As I've said, I think Star Wars was very enjoyable despite the issues I think it has. Nonetheless, I think I would've enjoyed it more if these inconsistencies weren't there. Yes, we can apply different standards to this -- different people have different taste, and will care about different specific things -- but ultimately your response boils down to "Personally that doesn't bother me" which is well and good for you but not a particularly convincing response. Unless you want to suggest that other people shouldn't be bothered or have their immersion broken.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#1142 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostNevyn, on 29 December 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

How did ANH get around it? Luke is flying instead of fighting and needs surprise help from Han to elude Vader.

Spoiler

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1143 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostGrief, on 29 December 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 December 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

My answer to all this:

It's Star Wars.

Not everyone is critically examining a big, fun, fantasy space opera for internal consistency or narrative inconsistencies.

I'm certainly not.

I think that people naturally critically examine more or less everything they watch, read, have an opinion on, etc. It's not a matter of sitting down and deciding to closely examine every frame of the film -- it's just part of the process of watching a film, and reacting to it (and trying to explain your reaction to it). I don't think that's a case of being overly critical; when I say "critically examining" I essentially mean "watching with any critical or opinion based faculty involved" which I would assume everyone here did, yourself included.

Being a fantasy space opera doesn't mean it's not worth critical examination -- especially when people are trying to explain what made them like or dislike different parts of the movie.

I find that movies are less fun -- for me -- when my immersion is broken by narrative inconsistencies, contrivances, etc. This isn't to say that they stop me enjoying the film. As I've said, I think Star Wars was very enjoyable despite the issues I think it has. Nonetheless, I think I would've enjoyed it more if these inconsistencies weren't there. Yes, we can apply different standards to this -- different people have different taste, and will care about different specific things -- but ultimately your response boils down to "Personally that doesn't bother me" which is well and good for you but not a particularly convincing response. Unless you want to suggest that other people shouldn't be bothered or have their immersion broken.

Okay, yeah I can see that POV. I'm not trying to say that it isn't. But I'm going to say that such critiquing becomes much slipperier in a fantasy flick like Star Wars, than in a myriad of other media. Not to say you can't apply it, but applying it becomes a bit of a dogs breakfast of what you let slide and what you don't...which makes it much less cut and dried and more of "my personal taste allows this, but doesn't allow this"...which isn't the same thing as a carte blanche statement about internal consistency...if that makes any sense?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1144 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Internally consistent how? Within the film itself, or within the wider series? Within the genre of science-fantasy? What about the wider medium of film? Writing? Pacing? What aesthetic marker are we valuing here?

That's my problem here--what are you valuing within this film? I think the big hero moment works because it took time to tie the character back to the original films, give the heroes a big enough handicap against the villain (not fully trained, over-emotional, injured, two vs. one, etc---y'all acting like he's Vader reborn but he's not, he's a person who didn't finishes his training, not the literal chosen one who will bring balance to the force), and works as an emotional climax for both the villain and the heroes. The film, if anything, is incredibly consistent in terms of writing, pacing, and character--Rey's power don't come out of nowhere, she's shown to be physically capable and in-tune with the Force. The arguments against this POV I don't find particular well-stated, not really, we have an abundance of evidence within many different aesthetic categories to measure this film against, and at the end of the day I don't see how it is unique in its description of the heroes journey compared to similar films, films within the series, or even itself. In fact I think one of the biggest things holding it back from being a truly great film is it to similar to previous Star War films, including Rey's hero journey. This is not me not 'thinking critically' I just disagree with complaints as being not very easy to actually justify given the materials at hand. So yes I find it silly that everyone is getting puffed up about a hero we've seen hundreds of times including the very film this film has taken most from and shown without complaint, till now.

#1145 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

Spoiler

How is it internally consistent? I gave the laundry list earlier hold on

Spoiler

How does she know how to fire a pistol accurately with 1 shot?????? How does she know force persuasion is a thing, let alone being able to do it? She get's a new talent or a new power every time the situation requires it from her. While some of it has plausibility, as a whole it beggars belief.

@red part, and here you go on again with the platitudes. Give it a rest Im here talking about one character in specific, and contrasting to another character in the same universe. Don't go bringning in this abstract "everyone" into your argument and painting me with the same brush. Focus on the argument at hand, getting tired of the SJW vibes im getting from this thread time and again, and i have stated that luke is a gary stue.

Yes there are hundreds of of example of mary and gary sues, and if this is the first time you've ever bumped into annoying or complaint/critique of the character, then dear god your naivete beggars belief.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 29 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

#1146 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

LP, I think there's reason to believe there's more to Rey then meets the eye, but if it doesn't turn out she's had past training as is widely theorised, more people will agree with you than do now, so you're not completely without a point; but the way you're going about trying to make it is going to do you or it no favours.

On the other hand, even though I'm sure some of the people who dislike Rey and her prowess are doing it at least partly because she's a girl, I'm also sure that not all of them do and, most especially, I wish the people defending her would stop acting as if use of the term 'Mary-Sue' was a surefire indication of sexism, conscious or unconscious. Although there are occasional attempts to use Gary-Stu for male equivalents, it's not at all a gender-specific phrase and certainly not used just when someone thinks a girl is overpowered. So stop it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1147 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

I don't have time to respond properly to the thread so for now I'd like to echo polishgenius' comment above, but in my mod-voice. Gender in film is an interesting topic, and I'm not barring it. However, please keep it civil, on topic, and avoid pointless sniping at each other. Address people's specific points. Suggestions that people only hold their specific opinion because they are part of a generalized group (sexists, SJWs, Ewoks, whatever) -- or that their opinions make them part of that group -- are not conducive to interesting discussion.

I've also removed a few posts that I felt didn't contribute beyond people needling at each other, or that were otherwise off topic/spam etc. If you have any questions, fire me a PM.

-Grief.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#1148 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:57 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 December 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

LP, I think there's reason to believe there's more to Rey then meets the eye, but if it doesn't turn out she's had past training as is widely theorised, more people will agree with you than do now, so you're not completely without a point; but the way you're going about trying to make it is going to do you or it no favours.

On the other hand, even though I'm sure some of the people who dislike Rey and her prowess are doing it at least partly because she's a girl, I'm also sure that not all of them do and, most especially, I wish the people defending her would stop acting as if use of the term 'Mary-Sue' was a surefire indication of sexism, conscious or unconscious. Although there are occasional attempts to use Gary-Stu for male equivalents, it's not at all a gender-specific phrase and certainly not used just when someone thinks a girl is overpowered. So stop it.

Well im not running for president of anything so currying favour isn't exactly a motivator.

Onto the more pertinent matter, if she's not a mary sue than what the hell is she? Cause im not buying these random powerups.

#1149 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:06 AM

We don't know yet. Evidence suggests these "powerups" -- itself an assumption -- are not random though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1150 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:18 AM

Lets get a few things straight

Spoiler

#1151 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostAndorion, on 30 December 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

Lets get a few things straight

Spoiler

BEGIN RANT

Ok, I know you guys are defensive about a movie you love, but I can't even begin to see how you come to any of this. I'm trying to let this matter of opinion all go, but really the defenses being put forward are bugging more than ANYTHING in the movie.

One more time, Luke uses the force arguably twice in ANH. He is evasive to Vader in his x-wing (mostly good flying, but whatever, Vader senses him), and he turns off his computer and makes a really hard shot, when he has already established through awkward George Lucas exposition is something not really out of character for him (he is a good shot). And lets recall that this guy met a Jedi who started training him, and then spoke to him as a ghost after dying. He rescued Leah? Yeah, sort of. I mean, he didn't try to, he tried to deliver the plans, the sip got captured, he realized she must be on the Death star and he talks the others into attempting a rescue, Obi-wan gets the ship out. Han leads the rescue, Leah leads them into the garbage (where Luke almost gets killed), he screams at 3PO to have R2 stop the compactor, Han provides a distraction to get them away. Luke does a listing shooting (Leah probably more), and is handy with a cable thing that he uses to swing across a retracted bridge. Heroic effort, hardly any special power (nice aim with a cable).

Spoiler

END RANT

Side rant: This spoiler tag thing is getting old with so much quoting/etc Can we agree at some point soon that anyone who waits 3 weeks to watch and then blithely wanders onto a discussion thread first deserves to have the whole movie spoiled? Maybe edit the thread title to warn of spoilers and dispense with the tags?

In fact, if you are following THIS THREAD and have not seen the movie and don't want spoilers, I am ruining it for you right now. Yoda is back as a Zombie, and he's a BAD GUY OMG!!!! You were warned!
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1152 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:07 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 December 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

LP, I think there's reason to believe there's more to Rey then meets the eye

She's a transformer? Well, if Michael Bay was involved I think they did remarkably well to make the story THAT watchable.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1153 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

Silencer said till the new year. You can start a BK-like countdown.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1154 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

I've been following the thread but keeping out of it, you guys can argue the semantics but for my own personal experience...

Spoiler

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#1155 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

Everyone is beginning to repeat themselves now on both sides. We are just shouting past each other. Nevyn, LP, and perhaps a few others don't buy the reaosning the rest of us saw for Rey's character growth...and we don't buy their reasons for not seeing it....perhaps it's time we shift off that. We are just going to keep typing up the same posts in different ways.

Agree to disagree.

#1156 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 December 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Everyone is beginning to repeat themselves now on both sides. We are just shouting past each other. Nevyn, LP, and perhaps a few others don't buy the reaosning the rest of us saw for Rey's character growth...and we don't buy their reasons for not seeing it....perhaps it's time we shift off that. We are just going to keep typing up the same posts in different ways.

Agree to disagree.

i can get behind this, getting tired of having to repeat the same things over and over again.

#1157 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Seriously though, can we ditch the spoiler tags?

#1158 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 December 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

I was just leafing through Before Awakening bk. Man that bk is better printed and bind then the best of my old bks. Are all new bks that nice to hold or is this just a special bk?

They are indeed. I have all those novella ones....gorgeously made. And though I didn't like LOST STARS much, it's got a lovely matte cover with some UV coating for shiny logo sections.

#1159 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 December 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

i can get behind this, getting tired of having to repeat the same things over and over again.

Which is why many pages back, I asked the question of "Why aren't the Death Stars or Star Destroyers droids too?"

Let us explore consciousness within Star Wars.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1160 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 December 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 30 December 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Which is why many pages back, I asked the question of "Why aren't the Death Stars or Star Destroyers droids too?"

Let us explore consciousness within Star Wars.

Because when you're a society based around the enslavement of what are pretty clearly sentient beings, you're better off not handing those beings the really big guns.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

60 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users