The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#741 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostD, on 21 October 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Moreover, Lawrence Kasdan always expressed an interest in the idea that Fett became a mantle worn by different people (like the Dread Pirate Roberts in THE PRINCESS BRIDE) and has not always been that of the original Boba Fett (Jango's son and unaltered clone).

Wasn't Boba Fett also Mandalore? So the shifting-identity leader of the Mandalorians is itself a shifting identity...?

Technically Boba Fett adopted Mandalorian armor from his "father/clone batch" Jango (who WAS a Mandalorian; though Mandalore is a planet and culture not a species... they are still human). Boba was born/created on Kamino by the Kaminoan Cloners. He never lead any Manadalorians, and merely used the armor to honour his father, and strike fear into the hearts of his enemies with gear of Super Commandos/Death Watch. He never lead the actual Manadalorians in any way.

Sidebar Canon info: Darth Maul (post-The Phantom Menace; he was brought back in THE CLONE WARS tv series with robotic legs) was the last person to hold power over Mandalore, he and his brother Savage Opress lead the Death Watch commandos in a coup on Mandalore to unseat the ruling house. Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine came to Mandalore after that and took out Opress, and subdued Maul...which beghins the Imperial domination of the planet and the scattering of the Mandalorian culture.

I was sure I was remembering it at least somewhat right... so I looked it up and turns out he becomes Mandalore after the original trilogy:

With the rise of the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY and the Imperial occupation of Mandalore, Fenn Shysa was pressed to ascend to the role of Mand'alor as part of a covert campaign to force the Empire off the Mandalorian homeworld.[5] Under Shysa's leadership, the Mandalorians won their freedom from the Empire, driving the Imperial forces off of Mandalore,[10] and with the Mand'alor's guidance, the Mandalorians flourished. Even still, Shysa's past came back to haunt him years later, when Jango Fett's clone son, Boba Fett, was hired to kill Shysa in revenge for his actions during the Clone Wars. Tracking the Mand'alor to the planet Shogun, Fett succeeded in killing the Mandalorian leader,[1] but not as he had planned—coming under attack from the Sevvets, Shysa was mortally wounded after saving Fett's life. With Shysa unable to flee and Fett unwilling to leave the Mandalorian leader to a death at the hands of the Sevvets, Fett killed the Mand'alor as an act of mercy, but not before agreeing to Shysa's dying wish: Fett was to take Shysa's place as Mand'alor.[1][10] True to his word, Fett became the new Mandalorian leader,[10] and led the Mandalorians during the chaos of the extragalactic Yuuzhan Vong's invasion of the galaxy, first as the Vong's false allies while gaining intelligence on the strange new foes,[6] then as the open enemies of the alien invaders.[1] In the aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vong war, the restoration of Mandalore fell upon Fett's shoulders: the Mand'alor recalled millions of Mandalorians from around the galaxy to recoup the severe population loss incurred during the Vong attack on Mandalore, donated his own personal funds to the recovery effort, negotiated a trade treaty with the technologically gifted Verpine, and presided over the find of a new beskar iron ore lode, allocating the profits from the sale and manufacturing prospects of the metal for the betterment of Mandalore.[13] Fett's prior relationship with Imperial Admiral Natasi Daala,[10] elected Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance in 41 ABY,[32] helped to establish a working relationship between the Mandalorians and the galactic government.[33][7]

http://starwars.wiki...ore_%28title%29

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#742 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostD, on 21 October 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

Moreover, Lawrence Kasdan always expressed an interest in the idea that Fett became a mantle worn by different people (like the Dread Pirate Roberts in THE PRINCESS BRIDE) and has not always been that of the original Boba Fett (Jango's son and unaltered clone).

Wasn't Boba Fett also Mandalore? So the shifting-identity leader of the Mandalorians is itself a shifting identity...?

Technically Boba Fett adopted Mandalorian armor from his "father/clone batch" Jango (who WAS a Mandalorian; though Mandalore is a planet and culture not a species... they are still human). Boba was born/created on Kamino by the Kaminoan Cloners. He never lead any Manadalorians, and merely used the armor to honour his father, and strike fear into the hearts of his enemies with gear of Super Commandos/Death Watch. He never lead the actual Manadalorians in any way.

Sidebar Canon info: Darth Maul (post-The Phantom Menace; he was brought back in THE CLONE WARS tv series with robotic legs) was the last person to hold power over Mandalore, he and his brother Savage Opress lead the Death Watch commandos in a coup on Mandalore to unseat the ruling house. Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine came to Mandalore after that and took out Opress, and subdued Maul...which beghins the Imperial domination of the planet and the scattering of the Mandalorian culture.

I was sure I was remembering it at least somewhat right... so I looked it up and turns out he becomes Mandalore after the original trilogy:

With the rise of the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY and the Imperial occupation of Mandalore, Fenn Shysa was pressed to ascend to the role of Mand'alor as part of a covert campaign to force the Empire off the Mandalorian homeworld.[5] Under Shysa's leadership, the Mandalorians won their freedom from the Empire, driving the Imperial forces off of Mandalore,[10] and with the Mand'alor's guidance, the Mandalorians flourished. Even still, Shysa's past came back to haunt him years later, when Jango Fett's clone son, Boba Fett, was hired to kill Shysa in revenge for his actions during the Clone Wars. Tracking the Mand'alor to the planet Shogun, Fett succeeded in killing the Mandalorian leader,[1] but not as he had planned—coming under attack from the Sevvets, Shysa was mortally wounded after saving Fett's life. With Shysa unable to flee and Fett unwilling to leave the Mandalorian leader to a death at the hands of the Sevvets, Fett killed the Mand'alor as an act of mercy, but not before agreeing to Shysa's dying wish: Fett was to take Shysa's place as Mand'alor.[1][10] True to his word, Fett became the new Mandalorian leader,[10] and led the Mandalorians during the chaos of the extragalactic Yuuzhan Vong's invasion of the galaxy, first as the Vong's false allies while gaining intelligence on the strange new foes,[6] then as the open enemies of the alien invaders.[1] In the aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vong war, the restoration of Mandalore fell upon Fett's shoulders: the Mand'alor recalled millions of Mandalorians from around the galaxy to recoup the severe population loss incurred during the Vong attack on Mandalore, donated his own personal funds to the recovery effort, negotiated a trade treaty with the technologically gifted Verpine, and presided over the find of a new beskar iron ore lode, allocating the profits from the sale and manufacturing prospects of the metal for the betterment of Mandalore.[13] Fett's prior relationship with Imperial Admiral Natasi Daala,[10] elected Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance in 41 ABY,[32] helped to establish a working relationship between the Mandalorians and the galactic government.[33][7]

http://starwars.wiki...ore_%28title%29

Indeed. But that's no longer canon. Fett's story begins in the Clone Wars prior to ROTS, and the bits from the OT. That's it as it stands right now. All the rest of that stuff is no longer accurate.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#743 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

Indeed. But that's no longer canon. Fett's story begins in the Clone Wars prior to ROTS, and the bits from the OT. That's it as it stands right now. All the rest of that stuff is no longer accurate.

Of course. But Kasdan's comments are from before the NuCanon, too, right? I was commenting on Kasdan's comments in the context of when his comments were made.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#744 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

I thought the Star Wars discussions would be better now that EU is gone.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#745 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

The Star Wars discussions will never be particularly good. The universe has mediocrity baked into it from the get go.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#746 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

Music-only version of the trailer:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ci0C8ggQWys

#747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

View PostD, on 21 October 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Of course. But Kasdan's comments are from before the NuCanon, too, right? I was commenting on Kasdan's comments in the context of when his comments were made.

They were brought back up when he and JJ were writing the new one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#748 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:11 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 October 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

The Star Wars discussions will never be particularly good. The universe has mediocrity baked into it from the get go.

Boooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Boo you!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#749 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:46 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

Well in any case I was trying to just make a little joke with what little I know about Star Wars and instead it became a serious and unfunny conversation. Shrug!

#750 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:11 AM

A.... few.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#751 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

A few more than the guy above.....
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#752 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Basically, I can't wait. Like really, really can't wait.

This^
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#753 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Er.. a few. I sort of keep having a peek when I get a moment.

I'm hoping Kylo isn't Luke, or that Luke has gone dark.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#754 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

I doubt Luke has gone Dark, but I do like the idea of him in absentia. Not in hiding per se, but dealing and developing. I think Vader's legacy, including his death, necessarily lives on in both sides in this movie. There just has to be an element of aftermath, and it makes sense that Luke feels it the most on a personal level. I dunno how that squares with the end of RotJ though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#755 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

View Postworry, on 22 October 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

I doubt Luke has gone Dark, but I do like the idea of him in absentia. Not in hiding per se, but dealing and developing. I think Vader's legacy, including his death, necessarily lives on in both sides in this movie. There just has to be an element of aftermath, and it makes sense that Luke feels it the most on a personal level. I dunno how that squares with the end of RotJ though.

I hope he hasn't gone dark because there wouldn't really be any reason for that other than a cheap story gimmick. It's a big fucking galaxy, I'm sure there are other dark side users out there that not even palps and vader knew about.

No, Luke going dark side at this point is just bad story telling...coughcoughcoughdarkempirecoughcoughcough! Not a good story!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#756 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I reckon Luke's living in a little hut on Dagobah.

#757 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostD, on 22 October 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

Well in any case I was trying to just make a little joke with what little I know about Star Wars and instead it became a serious and unfunny conversation. Shrug!

Wait, that was a joke? Oh man, I did not get that. Sorry. My nerdyness took over. I should not be that obtuse.

#758 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostTraveller, on 22 October 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Er.. a few. I sort of keep having a peek when I get a moment.

I'm hoping Kylo isn't Luke, or that Luke has gone dark.

Kylo has been shown in the Vanity Fair spread with his mask off, and it's Adam Driver...and his mask is off in the newest trailer at the very end as he faces off against Finn in the forest...you can see his long dark hair fom behind.

Not to worry, he isn't Luke. The leaked pic of Luke from the set has him in brown and beige Jedi robes.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

#759 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

View Postworry, on 22 October 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

That is it exactly. And it's a lovely character progression for the new canon to take.

#760 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Credence - as per KOTOR/2, Mandalore was a title taken on by whoever was leading the Mandalorians. Granted, KOTOR is now non-canon because Disney, but that's not to say that they've kept some of the ideas - as far as I remember, during IV/V/VI, Mandalorians were extinct, but it was a belief system as opposed to an actual race as far as I could see, it's not infeasible that they could come back.

If it does in fact though turn out to be Boba himself, brix will be shat by millions of nerds.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users