• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#761 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostMaark, on 22 October 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Credence - as per KOTOR/2, Mandalore was a title taken on by whoever was leading the Mandalorians. Granted, KOTOR is now non-canon because Disney, but that's not to say that they've kept some of the ideas - as far as I remember, during IV/V/VI, Mandalorians were extinct, but it was a belief system as opposed to an actual race as far as I could see, it's not infeasible that they could come back.

If it does in fact though turn out to be Boba himself, brix will be shat by millions of nerds.

If I recall hearing correctly a lot of the KOTOR storyline was going to be salvaged, just not yet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#762 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

New post-Endor info from the final (4th) issue of Greg Rucka's SHATTERED EMPIRE comic. Spoilers for the issue.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#763 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Credence - as per KOTOR/2, Mandalore was a title taken on by whoever was leading the Mandalorians. Granted, KOTOR is now non-canon because Disney, but that's not to say that they've kept some of the ideas - as far as I remember, during IV/V/VI, Mandalorians were extinct, but it was a belief system as opposed to an actual race as far as I could see, it's not infeasible that they could come back.

If it does in fact though turn out to be Boba himself, brix will be shat by millions of nerds.

If I recall hearing correctly a lot of the KOTOR storyline was going to be salvaged, just not yet.

Now wouldn't it be interesting if Ren was Revan? Being that Revan got stuck in the Old Sith Empire for however long, frozen in time... Let's also not forget Revan's mask.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#764 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostMaark, on 22 October 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Now wouldn't it be interesting if Ren was Revan? Being that Revan got stuck in the Old Sith Empire for however long, frozen in time... Let's also not forget Revan's mask.

It would, but it would also be bad, because that would mean the rebellion would be seriously fucked.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#765 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

All the theorizing about how the movie is going to play out is making me nervous.

If we keep posting every single idea about which direction the main characters are going to take, or how the story will arc, or for example "If Kylo is Luke," or "What if Luke goes Dark Side?" Then someone might actually end up nailing the big "surprise."

I am trying to keep my mind clear, using an old Jedi Mind Trick, so that the movie is a complete surprise for me. I'd hate for one of the major theories we've posted ends up being the "Big Surprise" in the story.

.....eh, what am I saying. It's Star Wars. A new TRUE Star Wars moving taking place after Return. It'll be amazing even if it isn't amazing. Somehow that shouldn't be able to make sense, yet it perfectly does so at the same time.

Edit - I wanted to amend that I've never been a reader of any of the books, so I enjoy being so utterly clueless.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 22 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#766 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

While I like Revan a great deal...

spoilers in case people want to be fresh and my theory is right:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

#767 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostBrujah, on 22 October 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

All the theorizing about how the movie is going to play out is making me nervous.

If we keep posting every single idea about which direction the main characters are going to take, or how the story will arc, or for example "If Kylo is Luke," or "What if Luke goes Dark Side?" Then someone might actually end up nailing the big "surprise."

I am trying to keep my mind clear, using an old Jedi Mind Trick, so that the movie is a complete surprise for me. I'd hate for one of the major theories we've posted ends up being the "Big Surprise" in the story.

.....eh, what am I saying. It's Star Wars. A new TRUE Star Wars moving taking place after Return. It'll be amazing even if it isn't amazing. Somehow that shouldn't be able to make sense, yet it perfectly does so at the same time.

Edit - I wanted to amend that I've never been a reader of any of the books, so I enjoy being so utterly clueless.

Agreed. This thread has gone so far beyond anything I could contribute to and I don't have anyone handy to geek out to :D After the prequels I'm a tad nervous about letting myself get excited but what the heck. This is probably going to show my ignorance and I don't give a crap about knowing any new character names in advance but I'm excited that it looks (at least to me) like a girl is going to be the next jedi.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#768 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

I hope the characters from the originals all show varying degrees of change; leaving some blanks as to what they've been up to for the intervening decades.

I'd hate for them all to show up wearing the same gear, using the same attitudes and just looking older in it - in the same way that I hated the way that Lucas put all those awful clumsy 'origin' stories (threepio) and characters (shitty looking jabba, child-greedo) into the prequels. Gods, it was like Muppet Babies.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic - because Lucas is not involved.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#769 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

I've just been reading the early scripts for Return of the Jedi. This stuff is gold; the early drafts and discussions on how the story should run between Lucas, Kasdan and Marquand are particularly enlightening.

This may be old news to some people, apologies if this is all pretty well known, but most of this is new to me - it's really interesting to see how the ideas developed into what finally appeared on the screen.

In several early drafts, the Emperor is displeased with Vader for being weak (kind of answering my own question from earlier) and actually force-chokes Vader into submission by shutting off his ventilator. Vader is internally plotting the downfall of the Emperor, using Luke - he was being serious in ESB about ruling as father and son.. he's done with the Emperor. He's unaware that the Emperor is planning to replace him with Luke; the Emperor is aware of this - and is trying to get to Luke without Vader being present. Getting Luke to kill Vader will be how he turns him.

Vader knows he is not able to turn Luke himself - so he plans for the Emperor to turn Luke, so they can both then turn on the Emperor.

Another thing that seems clearer to me now - in the final movie, when Vader tells the Emperor that Luke is among the strike team as he can sense him, the Emperors says 'It is strange that I have not.' I've always wondered why, when he is so knowledgeable about what else is going on. Well, in the drafts, Ben and Yoda are still able to help Luke. In one, they help to deflect the Emperor's force lightning, but in several, Ben (spirit form) has been working to cloud the Emperor's mind to certain things. By helping to cloud the mind of the Emperor to Lukes intention (Luke pretends to turn in order to get to the Emperor) Ben is fulfilling his own prophecy that he 'would become more powerful than he could possibly imagine.'

Just thought I'd post it here as I'm reading it at the moment - the drafts for the final scenes involving Ben, Yoda and Luke vs the Emperor are particularly entertaining. As is one of Lucas' ideas about Lukes fate post-Jedi... he thought initially that it would be a nice twist to have Luke putting on Vaders mask at the end. But then says, we can't do that because of the kids watching!

(He was also against killing anyone off. The others thought a significant character should die in the last act, but Lucas said no, it would alienate the audience.. I think he made a good call there personally)

Funny that some explanations and important scenes on screen that are now lore were decided by things like Alec Guiness wanting more interesting lines to work with; they could only get him to return for that scene in Jedi by giving him more to work with than just exposition about the force.

Lucas originally states that both Yoda and the Emperor aren't Jedi. They teach, but don't fight. Anyone can become a jedi if they train - they learn it as a technique. He says, Yoda wouldn't be any good in a fight against Vader. I wonder when he changed his mind about that one.

I'll be quiet now ( and go back to my book)

(About Vaders final appearance..'does he shave?' Heh.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#770 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostTraveller, on 25 October 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

In several early drafts, the Emperor is displeased with Vader for being weak (kind of answering my own question from earlier) and actually force-chokes Vader into submission by shutting off his ventilator. Vader is internally plotting the downfall of the Emperor, using Luke - he was being serious in ESB about ruling as father and son.. he's done with the Emperor. He's unaware that the Emperor is planning to replace him with Luke; the Emperor is aware of this - and is trying to get to Luke without Vader being present. Getting Luke to kill Vader will be how he turns him.

Vader knows he is not able to turn Luke himself - so he plans for the Emperor to turn Luke, so they can both then turn on the Emperor.

This is essentially the plot of the new canon DARTH VADER comic series. The whole thing is a study of how neither Vader nor the Emperor trust each other as far as they can throw each other as of the end of ANH...and how once Vader discovers who Luke is...he begins plotting to get him to turn and take on the Emperor...and the Emperor is secretly searching for a new apprentice to help take out Vader. So it seems like they've worked those aspects back into canon. :D

#771 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

It's interesting how he went from that sort of potential character-driven coolness to the empty CGI-fests that are the prequel trilogy. Where did it all go wrong? Believing his own press? Wanking over advances in CGI?

Le sigh. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#772 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

I still love the prequel lightsaber battles (and Natalie Portman). It's just the character "growth" and specific plot points that blow.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#773 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 25 October 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

It's interesting how he went from that sort of potential character-driven coolness to the empty CGI-fests that are the prequel trilogy. Where did it all go wrong? Believing his own press? Wanking over advances in CGI?

Le sigh. :D

I would be genuinely interested to know how he went from his first ideas about the force, to what we see in the prequels. It's quite a change of view from anyone being a potential jedi, to the midichlorian count nonsense which seemed to jar with everything that had been said before (or after, chronologically speaking.)

But then, in the Making of RotJ book I'm reading, they are discussing how to get Ben to explain to Luke why he didn't tell him about his father. They are quite literally making it up as they go along, and backtracking where it is possible to do so without creating plotholes.

But to go from draft scenes at the end of Jedi where Ben and Yoda are involved in bringing down the Emperor (Ben even 'uses up' his force maintained netherworld image to save Luke, meaning he is lost forever) to those scenes in TPM where they do a blood test on Anakin... I'd like to read the discussion about that.

#774 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

I expect a lot of people are going back to them for a rewatch. I've been watching the original trilogy recently, as since I put them on once my boy has been asking for them - he likes Jedi in particular.

I'm almost tempted to watch 2 and 3.. almost. I really can't stand the first one though, despite Maul. I've seen 2 the least, but that's because I remember the whole clumsy romance angle and get totally put off. Also I've buried my dvd copies so deep somewhere I can't even find them.

When did you last watch them BK? I'd left it so long that I was actually seeing them from a different point of view.. I guess as an adult. And being a father kind of changes things too.

As films they've actually aged rather well. I find the way ILM filmed explosions and then used them over everything makes them appear 'stuck on' and not really to scale, but it's a minor niggle - the effects still look way better than 99% of present day cgi.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

#775 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

I've been getting into Clone Wars - it's way better than I thought it would be. (I still hate the droid army - I guess they went comedy cannon fodder over.. Cylons.)

Although last night I hit an ep with Jar Jar in it. Which was as awful as it could have been. There was a bit near the beginning where it appeared he'd been killed, and I seriously thought for a moment that they'd gone and done it, as it would have been a smart move.

But, no. It went downhill from there.

#776 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostTraveller, on 26 October 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I've been getting into Clone Wars - it's way better than I thought it would be. (I still hate the droid army - I guess they went comedy cannon fodder over.. Cylons.)

Although last night I hit an ep with Jar Jar in it. Which was as awful as it could have been. There was a bit near the beginning where it appeared he'd been killed, and I seriously thought for a moment that they'd gone and done it, as it would have been a smart move.

But, no. It went downhill from there.

There ARE some filler eps in TCW (Jar Jar and Threepio)...but they get fewer and farther between as the seasons go on. Not to worry.

#777 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

There ARE some filler eps in TCW (Jar Jar and Threepio and R2 and Amidala and some of Ahsokah's early eps)...but they get fewer and farther between as the seasons go on. Not to worry.

FTFY.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#778 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

There ARE some filler eps in TCW (Jar Jar and Threepio and R2 and Amidala and some of Ahsokah's early eps)...but they get fewer and farther between as the seasons go on. Not to worry.

FTFY.

Truth.

#779 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

FTFY.

Truth.

I know, right?
You can cheerfully skip any ep that strongly features JarJar, the droids or Padme, content with the knowledge that you are missing utterly nothing important to the broader story.
Asoka is a little trickier... if the episode seems frivolous, it probably is, but into the late seasons her episodes are some of the best.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#780 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 October 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

FTFY.

Truth.

I know, right?
You can cheerfully skip any ep that strongly features JarJar, the droids or Padme, content with the knowledge that you are missing utterly nothing important to the broader story.
Asoka is a little trickier... if the episode seems frivolous, it probably is, but into the late seasons her episodes are some of the best.

You can freely skip S1 eps that feature only Ahsoka....but anything past S2 and you'd be missing her growth.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users