#1361 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

Abyss, on 23 January 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

Y'all are part time astrologers

Astrology ≠ astronomy
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1362 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

$50 says Finn gets frozen in carbonite at the end.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1363 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Cheesewiz, on 24 January 2017 - 02:15 AM, said:

In new canon is Luke mentioned much? Did he make another green blade after DS2 or go blue or purple?

I think the odds are extremely high with this title that the 1st teaser will show him with a blade in hand to stoke our collective hard ons.

Most of the set leaks seem to confirm that Luke still has his green ROTJ lightsaber, because since they now use a lit-verison of the Force FX lightsabers on set to get the light of the sabres on faces better than having to do so exclusively digitally (or in the case of the prequels not at all), the set reports have said his FX sabre light is green.

This makes sense since Rey will use the blue one.

I agree we will see his sabre ignite in a trailer. After him not being in TFA almost at all...it would make sense to REALLY tease his heavy presence in this one so fans don't get pissed off.

While I understand why Luke was absent from TFA...I'm still a bit bothered he was such a small non-speaking cameo.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1364 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

I'm more and more apprehensive about this.

TFA was good in some ways, but after watching Cws, Rogue One, Rebels and the other 6 films tFA doesn't seem to gel well into the series. The history repeating itself bugs me, for although this does happen through time, tFA is clumsy and obvious in it's effort to recreate ANH.

I really hope they can bring something from the ot forwards into this - it's really going to depend on Hamill. I'm already kind of wishing they'd taken a different route with these new films as the ending of the ot now seems like a hollow victory.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1365 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Traveller, on 24 January 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

TFA was good in some ways, but after watching Cws, Rogue One, Rebels and the other 6 films tFA doesn't seem to gel well into the series. The history repeating itself bugs me, for although this does happen through time, tFA is clumsy and obvious in it's effort to recreate ANH.

I really hope they can bring something from the ot forwards into this - it's really going to depend on Hamill. I'm already kind of wishing they'd taken a different route with these new films as the ending of the ot now seems like a hollow victory.

Turns out there is a behind the scenes reason for this. If you follow New Canon Story Guru Pablo Hidalgo on twitter, he will openly showcase his dislike of a lot of aspects of TFA, and moreover JJ's personal choices (in fact I honestly don't think he LIKES TFA much at all...and he prefers ROGUE ONE). In fact, it turns out that while Kennedy and LFL asked JJ to direct and gave him the keys to the ship....the rest of the behind the scenes folks (Pablo and his Story Group included) were more at odds with them. It apparently often came down to Bad Robot (JJ's company) VS Lucasfilm themselves in the background. This is why TFA can stick out like an anomaly in some spots (I don't feel it's over the top, but I also notice it). It IS a big nostalgia movie. 100%. I would not call it a rehash of ANH...I feel it homages ANH, without directly copying it (but that's another discussion). It's as simple as ANH on a certain level, with very little extra world building. Without having read most of the current canon periphery material (books, comics, ect.) people who have only seen TFA would have little to no clue what the galaxy looked like as of 30 years after ROTJ. JJ did no favours to the galaxy. Luckily the rest of the behind the scenes writers picked up that slack. So it feels disjointed, I agree. I still really like TFA....but I understand why it's considered a kind of outlier.

Try not to think of the ending of the OT as a hollow victory. They got their happy ending...but happy endings don't last forever. Very much like WWII gave way to the Cold War. There was a period of peace, but eventually the galaxy is in turmoil again.

Anyways, it sounds like Lucasfilm, Pablo and Co. and everyone else is MUCH more on board with what Rian Johnson is bringing to the table in THE LAST JEDI, and with Episode IX (which he is also writing), and as such we should get a much more cohesive galaxy and events. And for anyone worried it won't be "original" enough...you don't know Rian. He's about to take Star Wars in a lot of unique and interesting, even philosophical directions. The man doesn't make simple movies, or homage movies. He blazes his own trail.

In fact, from what I read from someone in the know...they said something like "Wanna know what Episode VIII and IX are going to be like? Look at Rebels, TCW, and Rogue One, not TFA."

Anyways, hope that eases your mind a bit Traveller.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1366 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

It does actually, I'll have to check it out for the details.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1367 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

QuickTidal, on 24 January 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

In fact, from what I read from someone in the know...they said something like "Wanna know what Episode VIII and IX are going to be like? Look at Rebels, TCW, and Rogue One, not TFA."

Thank the Force. This is reassuring.

#1368 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Traveller, on 24 January 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Turns out there is a behind the scenes reason for this. If you follow New Canon Story Guru Pablo Hidalgo on twitter, he will openly showcase his dislike of a lot of aspects of TFA, and moreover JJ's personal choices (in fact I honestly don't think he LIKES TFA much at all...and he prefers ROGUE ONE). In fact, it turns out that while Kennedy and LFL asked JJ to direct and gave him the keys to the ship....the rest of the behind the scenes folks (Pablo and his Story Group included) were more at odds with them. It apparently often came down to Bad Robot (JJ's company) VS Lucasfilm themselves in the background. This is why TFA can stick out like an anomaly in some spots (I don't feel it's over the top, but I also notice it). It IS a big nostalgia movie. 100%. I would not call it a rehash of ANH...I feel it homages ANH, without directly copying it (but that's another discussion). It's as simple as ANH on a certain level, with very little extra world building. Without having read most of the current canon periphery material (books, comics, ect.) people who have only seen TFA would have little to no clue what the galaxy looked like as of 30 years after ROTJ. JJ did no favours to the galaxy. Luckily the rest of the behind the scenes writers picked up that slack. So it feels disjointed, I agree. I still really like TFA....but I understand why it's considered a kind of outlier.

Try not to think of the ending of the OT as a hollow victory. They got their happy ending...but happy endings don't last forever. Very much like WWII gave way to the Cold War. There was a period of peace, but eventually the galaxy is in turmoil again.

Anyways, it sounds like Lucasfilm, Pablo and Co. and everyone else is MUCH more on board with what Rian Johnson is bringing to the table in THE LAST JEDI, and with Episode IX (which he is also writing), and as such we should get a much more cohesive galaxy and events. And for anyone worried it won't be "original" enough...you don't know Rian. He's about to take Star Wars in a lot of unique and interesting, even philosophical directions. The man doesn't make simple movies, or homage movies. He blazes his own trail.

Anyways, hope that eases your mind a bit Traveller.

I'm also really glad to hear this, TFA was good, but it did seem to jar with the others (couldn't fault it, per se, but I had so many creative differences with what happened.) As for hollow victories, peace doesn't last forever, but TFA seemed to go out of its way to remove all the achievements the other movies made.

Spoiler

Last Jedi seems like an odd title. I wonder how that will work. The true Jedi are already eradicated, and why set up a new generation in a movie with that title? Unless there's going to be some kind of rejection of Jedi principles and a new organisation started instead?

This post has been edited by the broken: 24 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

#1369 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

You're all reading it wrong. It's not the Last (Final) Jedi, it's the Last (previous) Jedi.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1370 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

death rattle, on 24 January 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

You're all reading it wrong. It's not the Last (Final) Jedi, it's the Last (previous) Jedi.

Spot on. It's just a reference to Luke being the last of the old order. There will be more new Jedi going forward.

#1371 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 24 January 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

Thank the Force. This is reassuring.

That would be awesome, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Hopefully the success of Rogue One will help.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1372 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Cheesewiz, on 25 January 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

How is Leias Force powers described in new canon? We could see that she felt Han die but how does she use it? Luke says in 6 in time she will learn how to use it as he had.

Nothing in new canon suggests she's ever trained or honed it.

#1373 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Yet New Canon film-only fans think she's a badass warrior princess. If only they knew how badass she was in the EU :(

#1374 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 25 January 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Yet New Canon film-only fans think she's a badass warrior princess. If only they knew how badass she was in the EU :(

It's one of the missteps I think that TFA made. It feels like a fruitful loose end from the OT left completely unexplored because JJ wanted her to just do what she did before (Senator/Military Commander) and didn't want to muddy that with Force training or powers.

I thought the old EU did a great job with her balancing all those things, and they could have taken the cue from that. But nada so far in all her canon material, including BLOODLINE by Claudia Grey which was all about her.

#1375 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Cheesewiz, on 25 January 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 25 January 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

It's one of the missteps I think that TFA made. It feels like a fruitful loose end from the OT left completely unexplored because JJ wanted her to just do what she did before (Senator/Military Commander) and didn't want to muddy that with Force training or powers.

I thought the old EU did a great job with her balancing all those things, and they could have taken the cue from that. But nada so far in all her canon material, including BLOODLINE by Claudia Grey which was all about her.

Wtf?!

Yeah, as far as I know she's never even touched a lightsaber or used her force powers much beyond "sensing" Luke and others in the force.

#1376 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

I just wanna say, on individual terms I like the films JJ Abrams makes, in general, but man he fucking sucks at maintaining a mythos.

Was he this bad on Alias? He's absolutely savaged Star Trek (even if you account for/don't mind the entire reboot thing) in just two films and he's done damage to Star Wars already.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1377 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

polishgenius, on 25 January 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

I just wanna say, on individual terms I like the films JJ Abrams makes, in general, but man he fucking sucks at maintaining a mythos.

Was he this bad on Alias? He's absolutely savaged Star Trek (even if you account for/don't mind the entire reboot thing) in just two films and he's done damage to Star Wars already.

The two seasons that ALIAS ran were great.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1378 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

QuickTidal, on 25 January 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Wtf?!

Yeah, as far as I know she's never even touched a lightsaber or used her force powers much beyond "sensing" Luke and others in the force.

I consider using one's time and energy to construct a functioning government that is far less oppressive than the previous a much better thing than training to be a hyperviolent magic space cop.

Leia >>> Luke in either continuity.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1379 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Yes, eventually.

Abyss, on 25 January 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

The two seasons that ALIAS ran were great.

It's funny, I was going to say something like this. It flounders really badly after the s2 finale. Things just get crazy off the rails.

amphibian, on 25 January 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 25 January 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Wtf?!

I consider using one's time and energy to construct a functioning government that is far less oppressive than the previous a much better thing than training to be a hyperviolent magic space cop.

Leia >>> Luke in either continuity.

Two things.

1. The point I'd made was that Leia in the old EU was able to do all those things at the same time.
2. Jedi were/are monk peacekeepers that were pushed/slipped further and further into being soldiers....hyper violent space cop is...SO inaccurate.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

#1380 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

QuickTidal, on 25 January 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

2. Jedi were/are monk peacekeepers that were pushed/slipped further and further into being soldiers....hyper violent space cop is...SO inaccurate.

Wake up and smell the cool-aid, sheeple! Empror rools Jeedi droolz!
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users