• You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1121 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

View Postworry, on 29 December 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

Diversionary tactics are indeed beneath Silencer.

Spoiler

you are a vile cur.

#1122 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostBriar King, on 29 December 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

They're probably just avoiding spoilers. I didn't even look at the SW toys for Xmas to avoid spoilers. Give it time and she'll show up.

Yeah that's what they were saying (in part). But you know what? I'm not buying it (pun intended). I think they had an idea what was going to happen - what with her profile being so high in the movie, but so low in most of the trailers - and they were testing the waters, checking demand. Maybe they wanted to avoid having another Lisa Lionheart on their hands? Remember, Disney is all about the Benjamins, they couldn't give a rat's ass about gender politics.

Come to think about it - can anyone recall any other formerly male-centric stories where a strong female came in and shook things up, then had strong merchandise sales? Disney may just be rewriting the book here, so maybe they're naturally inclined to be conservative. When you think about it, if the demand is there, it doesn't take long to speed up production.

Now I consider it further, while press releases spoke of Rey as much as Finn in the leadup, we didn't SEE so much of her doing cool shit. And tbh most discussion and focus was about Luke, Han and Leia. The newbies were a ... curiosity. People reserved judgement until they saw the finished product.
Which is why Rey blew up so much, IMNSHO.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 29 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1123 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostAndorion, on 28 December 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

I think both Silencer and Worry have made good points.

Spoiler

Look, if people loved the movie and weren't bothered by these things, I don't want to change it, but this defense is thoroughly illogical.

Spoiler

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1124 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostNevyn, on 29 December 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 28 December 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

I think both Silencer and Worry have made good points.

Spoiler

Look, if people loved the movie and weren't bothered by these things, I don't want to change it, but this defense is thoroughly illogical.

Spoiler

Uh, dude ...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 29 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1125 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Darth Vader was much better at mind reading. He could pluck thoughts from people without them even knowing, as pointed out by Somboku above.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1126 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 December 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 29 December 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

They're probably just avoiding spoilers. I didn't even look at the SW toys for Xmas to avoid spoilers. Give it time and she'll show up.

Yeah that's what they were saying (in part). But you know what? I'm not buying it (pun intended). I think they had an idea what was going to happen - what with her profile being so high in the movie, but so low in most of the trailers - and they were testing the waters, checking demand. Maybe they wanted to avoid having another Lisa Lionheart on their hands? Remember, Disney is all about the Benjamins, they couldn't give a rat's ass about gender politics.

Come to think about it - can anyone recall any other formerly male-centric stories where a strong female came in and shook things up, then had strong merchandise sales? Disney may just be rewriting the book here, so maybe they're naturally inclined to be conservative. When you think about it, if the demand is there, it doesn't take long to speed up production.

Now I consider it further, while press releases spoke of Rey as much as Finn in the leadup, we didn't SEE so much of her doing cool shit. And tbh most discussion and focus was about Luke, Han and Leia. The newbies were a ... curiosity. People reserved judgement until they saw the finished product.
Which is why Rey blew up so much, IMNSHO.

Thoughts?

It's utter and complete bullshit article and hastag. And people are fucking stupid if they havent found her toys.

She had a Black Series figure up front, a 3 1/2 inch figure up front too. Both of those in the first wave on Force Friday (I have them BOTH). The first Force Awakens Sideshow collectibles replica is of her. The only thing missing was her lightsaber figure with her outfit from the end of the film....and that is coming in the newest wave and was held in reserve to keep the secret about the ending (same reason why a Kylo Ren figure with his mask off didn't drop till now as well). They have a bobble head, Funko Pop, a mini fig Lego, Lego sets, a Disney infinity figure, plushes, her speeder even comes with her, and the new Millennium Falcon does as well. ect.

She is featured in the main lines as much as anyone else. Hell, even Han Solo wasn't in the first wave when Rey was. The toy sets with all the characters in them that I've seen...she IS in. She's a part of every specific line they have created.

The boxed set they are talking about seems to be an aberation (a bad one I'll admit)...but the idea that Rey isn't featured in the main toys like all others is uninformed, and trying to find outrage where there isn't.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1127 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

Saw it last night- really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

#1128 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 December 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Uh, dude ...

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 29 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1129 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

So are people against big hero moments now?

Spoiler

#1130 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostStudlock, on 29 December 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm really not sure why anyone has an issue with it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1131 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Spoiler

Ok, I'm going to let this go. Any second now, I'll stop arguing. Tricky, as its a passionate topic and this is a slow time of year. But we are arguing about how people felt about the movie, which is inherently both unwinnable and a bit silly. If those moments didn't bug you, it doesn't make you wrong. Just you enjoyed it more than others. But FWIW, most of the people who enjoyed it less (and lets remember that those people for the most part still enjoyed it somewhat) have had reactions on very similar notes, so not only are they not wrong, but there is very clearly a thing or two that ring false to a certain demographic. Write it off as can't please everyone, if you like.

But as to your specific criticism

Spoiler

#1132 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

But Ren isn't the big bad. The film puts clear emphasis on establishing that he's not fully trained and subservient to Snoke. Even Hux has comparable status to Ren in terms of Snoke's approval/orders.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1133 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 December 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

But Ren isn't the big bad. The film puts clear emphasis on establishing that he's not fully trained and subservient to Snoke. Even Hux has comparable status to Ren in terms of Snoke's approval/orders.

Grr, I'm too baitable today or too bored.

Spoiler

And Hux and Ren being equals is nothing new. A step up in fact from a fully trained Vader who answered to Tarkin.

#1134 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

Okay, but

Spoiler

#1135 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

So just to wade in here with probably unwanted commentary

Spoiler

Second, I don't recall seeing a Vader who ANSWERED to The Grand Moff. I recall seeing Vader acquiesce to Tarkin's wish that Vader not kill one of his subordinates, and only after he had made his point. Almost like they were equals. A Grand Moff is in charge of huge swaths of space, and Vader was the Emperor's 'wet works' man. Vader is outside the normal chain of command but a Grand Moff isn't a Lieutenant that can be easily replaced.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 29 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1136 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Spoiler

This is an argument that I find irritating whenever I come across it, and I find it really odd to see someone on making it on a SF board. You can apply it to almost any SF -- why complain about anything being narratively inconsistent, contrived or unrealistic when it has dragons in it? I guess we should just abandon all narrative criticism within genre fiction right, seeing as it's obviously pointless?

The answer is obviously internal consistency.

In this specific case:

Spoiler

As for "big hero moments", to me that just reads as handwaving critical approaches to the film with "but it's cooool". People aren't criticising it because it's a "big hero moment", they're criticising it because they found it contrived, inconsistent, immersion breaking, or otherwise narratively unsatisfying.

As for a better ending, I honestly think that it's not difficult to find one:

Spoiler

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#1137 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostGrief, on 29 December 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

Spoiler

This is an argument that I find irritating whenever I come across it, and I find it really odd to see someone on making it on a SF board. You can apply it to almost any SF -- why complain about anything being narratively inconsistent, contrived or unrealistic when it has dragons in it?

The answer is obviously internal consistency.

In this specific case:

Spoiler

As for "big hero moments", to me that just reads as handwaving critical approaches to the film with "but it's cooool". People aren't criticising it because it's a "big hero moment", they're criticising it because they found it contrived, inconsistent, immersion breaking, or otherwise narratively unsatisfying.

My answer to all this:

It's Star Wars.

Not everyone is critically examining a big, fun, fantasy space opera for internal consistency or narrative inconsistencies.

I'm certainly not.

#1138 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostStudlock, on 29 December 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Okay, but

Spoiler

How did ANH get around it? Luke is flying instead of fighting and needs surprise help from Han to elude Vader.

Spoiler

#1139 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 December 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

My answer to all this:

It's Star Wars.

Not everyone is critically examining a big, fun, fantasy space opera for internal consistency or narrative inconsistencies.

I'm certainly not.

Again, not about critically examining.

You felt how you felt when you watched it. The complaints are intellectual attempts to explain what felt odd/wrong about watching the big fun space opera at the time. They are things that made it less fun for some people.

#1140 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

Spoiler

Because one is a simple plot device to spur the story on, the other is basically a cheat in terms of development. Rather than having organic character growth it's taking a shortcut and creating a character and is unreasonably competent, hence, mary sue. It ruins the narrative. Thats why its being discussed.

View PostStudlock, on 29 December 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Okay, but

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 29 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic