• You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1061 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 December 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

I mean BB-8's portion. They got it but couldn't use it because they lacked the rest of the map. One would think they could simply have looked at a map of the galaxy and figured it out in a few minutes. It was a sizeable chunk of the whole map after all.

This is definitely something the movie didn't handle well, but looking at the galactic map QuickTidal gave us, the BB-8 portion is squarely in the "Unknown Areas" portion of the galactic map.

The part BB-8 had couldn't be chewed upon by astronomical robots/scripts because it's entirely new to the databases.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1062 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 December 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

As I stated, it's present in the novelization, which was written off the shooting script long ago. So it was and is in there...it's just left a little more open in the final product. It's not a dealbreaker moment though. I'm not sure why it would be.

I don't know what a dealbreaker would be. I do rank it as about a 3 star film and better than the prequels. These are simply lists of things that bugged me enough to take me 'out of the moment'.

And, again whether it is in the script is irrelevant. What makes the screen is what I judge it by. Doesn't matter whether the bad decision is in writing or in editing. Its like you were a contestant on Masterchef and forgot to add your delicious sauce. I'm only going to judge what's on the plate.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1063 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostNevyn, on 23 December 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 December 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

As I stated, it's present in the novelization, which was written off the shooting script long ago. So it was and is in there...it's just left a little more open in the final product. It's not a dealbreaker moment though. I'm not sure why it would be.

I don't know what a dealbreaker would be. I do rank it as about a 3 star film and better than the prequels. These are simply lists of things that bugged me enough to take me 'out of the moment'.

And, again whether it is in the script is irrelevant. What makes the screen is what I judge it by. Doesn't matter whether the bad decision is in writing or in editing. Its like you were a contestant on Masterchef and forgot to add your delicious sauce. I'm only going to judge what's on the plate.

Fair enough. I just love discussing it. Sorry if I seem overzealous. :p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1064 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

I liked it! A lot. But I have to admit, I didn't feel the star wars magic. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but afterwards I had the feeling that I could just as well have seen it on TV, because I didn't get the same excitement I used to get from watching Star Wars. I give it 8 stars out of 10.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1065 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 December 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Fair enough. I just love discussing it. Sorry if I seem overzealous. :p

I don't think its overzealous. And I think its interesting to get perspective on what the story was meant to be.

I just don't think its an alibi for issues with the film
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1066 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1067 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

View Postworry, on 23 December 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

Spoiler

I'm just bored of giant guns.

#1068 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

That's all there is in space.

#1069 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1070 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostNevyn, on 24 December 2015 - 12:06 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1071 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

Luke Skywalkers' path to radicalisation.

http://decider.com/2...-path-to-jihad/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1072 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

This film was fucking awesome. Absolutely class. Right up there with one of the best I think. I'd need to watch it a few more times to see were I'd rank it but initial impression was 10/10.

I laughed. I whooped. I cried. Great all the way through. Great acting, great scenes, great DROID moments. Very much like a new hope I think in terms of story line but that's not a negative.

Loved it!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#1073 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

Now for some moments I loved. First if all Chewy.

Spoiler

BB8 is adorable. Very humanlike gestures.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#1074 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 24 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Now for some moments I loved. First if all Chewy.

Spoiler

BB8 is adorable. Very humanlike gestures.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1075 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

I have an overall complaint that there isn't enough new cool shit for my tastes in this film but BB-8 is the BEST.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1076 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 December 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

Something really jumped out to me on 2nd time.

Spoiler

She was fine when moving. It was the scenes with Han where they stood still and looked at each other that dragged. It's kinda hard to convey everything they were supposed to in a way that makes sense for this tone of movie.

I think this is where Ford's broken foot came into things. Having them stand still means he's not stumping around on it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1077 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

To be fair, it was media reviews that loved the first film, and young people. While I don't deny I enjoyed it, I could see its flaws even back then, just as I can with episode 7. It's just that 7 has a lot less, and has a much more 'traditional' feel to it - which is what everyone wanted after the prequels. *shrug*
It may eventually have a lot less excitement around it, but who can say. The EU became obviously mostly junk in hindsight too. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1078 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:15 AM

Saw it last night--it was super fun but far to derivative of existing Star Wars material to be a great film. I get that's what some Star Wars fan wanted but its a bit boring. I really enjoyed the new characters--though I'm a bit disappointed Finn isn't a force user, I had thought he was going to be a new Jedi but I'm still pretty happy with Rey. The best part, however, for me was still the score--the use of the 'Jedi' motif throughout gave me chills.

#1079 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

So, after waiting a week more than this entire forum and the entire world except China, Star Wars finally came to my city today, and I saw it First Day, First Show.

Here's my experience, or the parts that stand out the most.
Spoiler

Anyway, thats all I can think of for now.

#1080 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 December 2015 - 01:37 AM, said:

How much longer are we going to spoiler tag Sil? I believe Ando was the last we were waiting on to see movie. Not 100 on that though.

So BK,
Spoiler
I don't think a lot of people in my theatre did.

Also I saw you didn't like it in your initial viewing. Did it improve later?

Regarding Finn, I like him, though my favourite character is Rey. Why is everybody obsessing over the shiny stormtrooper captain? Is this an EU thing?

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users