• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1041 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostBriar King, on 22 December 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I'm going to try again Wednesday if everything works out right. I think a 2nd time will help out big time. Hopefully Finn won't grate me so much this time except for
Spoiler

I hope you do. From what I've heard, those who has minor issues with it, the second viewing dusted those issues away. Lack of Expectations perhaps? So I'll cross my fingers you get more enjoyment out of it this time.

Sidebar: I'm also seeing it again Wednseday!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1042 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

I personally thought it was really weird that they couldn't simply take the part of the map they had, look at a galactic map and figure out where it belonged. It made sense that the First Order needed it, but it made very little sense to me that the resistance needed anything more.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1043 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Apparently it's supposed to be in uncharted space, but I just assumed it was the usual "J.J. doesn't understand how outer space works."
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1044 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 22 December 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I personally thought it was really weird that they couldn't simply take the part of the map they had, look at a galactic map and figure out where it belonged. It made sense that the First Order needed it, but it made very little sense to me that the resistance needed anything more.

You mean BB-8's portion, or R2's? BB-8's portion was not available till he was brought to them (Lor San Tekka had it on Jakku), and R2's was inside him and he was asleep since Luke left. They didn't have any map until the two droids spoke near the end.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1045 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm 60% done with the novelization and here are some things that are spelled out more explicitly in the book.

Spoiler

I'll report back when I have any more.

#1046 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Is there any chance that
Spoiler

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1047 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostTraveller, on 22 December 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Is there any chance that
Spoiler

Spoiler

#1048 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Watched Episode 7 earlier today. Really liked it.

As one of my friends noted over the weekend, it' a VERY unorginal film. It's practically a copy of Episode 4 through and through. But it works and it's a great way to give old fans what they want, tie the film to the older ones, and set up a series of new films.

I thought the writing was great, it had very little fluff and kept the momentum right up until the end. I don't mind saying there was probably a handful of times during the film where I teared up because of nostalgia and well executed story touches. A giant bearded dude two rows next to me was loudly sobbing during the
Spoiler

Generally I think this film manages to merge the writing/world building of the old films with the special effects budgets of episode 1-3. It's a fantastic looking film and the CGI really makes the aliens and alien environments come to life.

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 22 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

#1049 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Is there any chance that
Spoiler

Spoiler

It certainly seems likely. I wonder if Rey is involved in this -
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1050 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostApt, on 22 December 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostTraveller, on 22 December 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Is there any chance that
Spoiler

Spoiler

It certainly seems likely. I wonder if Rey is involved in this -
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

#1051 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I've thought of something else I liked about TFA with regards to lightsabers.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

#1052 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

Cool poster

Spoiler

No Touchy.

#1053 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

(I've skimmed through the past few pages while writing this, and have amended my post on the fly, but I haven't thoroughly read every previous comment).

Spoiler

And re: Silencer's comments about the EU — look, I've read most of the EU books, but I don't feel a huge attachment to them. So, I'm not comparing this movie to any of those books. However, the Thrawn Trilogy would have made a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better film series. He's just a better villain than any villain in this movie.

I've always wanted to like Abrams' works, but the more of his stuff I see, the more I realize he is just a poor storyteller.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

#1054 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

You mean BB-8's portion, or R2's? BB-8's portion was not available till he was brought to them (Lor San Tekka had it on Jakku), and R2's was inside him and he was asleep since Luke left. They didn't have any map until the two droids spoke near the end.

I mean BB-8's portion. They got it but couldn't use it because they lacked the rest of the map. One would think they could simply have looked at a map of the galaxy and figured it out in a few minutes. It was a sizeable chunk of the whole map after all.

It's a minor nitpick, but I found it contrieved at the time.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 23 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1055 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Whisperzzzz

Spoiler

Maybe Snoke
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

#1056 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 December 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I mean BB-8's portion. They got it but couldn't use it because they lacked the rest of the map. One would think they could simply have looked at a map of the galaxy and figured it out in a few minutes. It was a sizeable chunk of the whole map after all.

It's a minor nitpick, but I found it contrieved at the time.

And easily refuted within the Star Wars universe. :p

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?" ~ Han Solo

But moreover, they only get the BB-8 map just before the battle on Starkiller...which is just before R2 wakes up and gives the rest of the map, so it's really a non-issue.

#1057 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 December 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

(I've skimmed through the past few pages while writing this, and have amended my post on the fly, but I haven't thoroughly read every previous comment).

Spoiler

And re: Silencer's comments about the EU — look, I've read most of the EU books, but I don't feel a huge attachment to them. So, I'm not comparing this movie to any of those books. However, the Thrawn Trilogy would have made a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better film series. He's just a better villain than any villain in this movie.

Oh gods no. Other than Thrawn (who was a great villain) you've got a clone of Ben, a clone of Luke (Luuke), force denying slugs who live in little trees, and other stuff that is just awful.

I've always wanted to like Abrams' works, but the more of his stuff I see, the more I realize he is just a poor storyteller.

Keep in mind that Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote EMPIRE STRIKES BACK) had co-writing duties on this film and pulled JJ back a few times form ideas that wouldn't work (JJ noted this in an interview)

I'll go through this and rebut a bit of it, if I may? In red within the spoiler tag.

#1058 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

No. This is Kasdan and Abrams letting you figure it out what bits are important as an audience yourself. You get dropped into the story and their job as writer is to give you enough to infer the elements to get the story they are telling. Knowing that R2 got the map from the Imperial archives is an easter egg...NOT a needed bit of info. Should you need to know where R2 acquired the map in the grand scheme of things? No. The fact that they let that bit be ambiguous isn't doing a crappy job explaing the movie, it's having faith that your audience aren't a bunch of morons.

Not really.

It is not about understanding, it is about having enough context for the plot device not to feel lazy and contrived.

In the movie, it feels lazy and contrived. R2 having the rest of the map. The rest of the map being needed at all, R2 being in low power mode until a very convenient part of the story, etc.

Explaining your thought process outside the movie for how it fits in the story in a non lazy contrived way, does not change how it feels in the movie.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#1059 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 December 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Spoiler

Oh gods no. Other than Thrawn (who was a great villain) you've got a clone of Ben, a clone of Luke (Luuke), force denying slugs who live in little trees, and other stuff that is just awful.

Keep in mind that Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote EMPIRE STRIKES BACK) had co-writing duties on this film and pulled JJ back a few times form ideas that wouldn't work (JJ noted this in an interview)

I'll go through this and rebut a bit of it, if I may? In red within the spoiler tag.

Most of those are reasonable responses, showing that there are reasons behind most of the occurences in TFA. However, the fact that most of these things are not explained or hinted at in the film leaves it feeling too rough. I think that's on Abrams, as the director. It's his job to see where viewers can get lost and to guide them. Sure, one can say that these elements are "inessential" to the main plot so it doesn't matter if they're explained, but I don't think that's a good explanation. Without them, scenes in the film just do not make sense.

Also, regardless of whether one wants to put the onus on Kasdan or Abrams, the direction they chose to take the SW universe in, at least as shown in this, the first reboot film, is just...boring. Sure, the Thrawn Trilogy wasn't perfect (not sure what issue you have with the ysalamiri, who are not slugs...but lizards! :p), but at least it wasn't a straight rehash of a story previously told in the same universe. And at least it left me wanting more.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

#1060 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostNevyn, on 23 December 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

No. This is Kasdan and Abrams letting you figure it out what bits are important as an audience yourself. You get dropped into the story and their job as writer is to give you enough to infer the elements to get the story they are telling. Knowing that R2 got the map from the Imperial archives is an easter egg...NOT a needed bit of info. Should you need to know where R2 acquired the map in the grand scheme of things? No. The fact that they let that bit be ambiguous isn't doing a crappy job explaing the movie, it's having faith that your audience aren't a bunch of morons.

Not really.

It is not about understanding, it is about having enough context for the plot device not to feel lazy and contrived.

In the movie, it feels lazy and contrived. R2 having the rest of the map. The rest of the map being needed at all, R2 being in low power mode until a very convenient part of the story, etc.

Explaining your thought process outside the movie for how it fits in the story in a non lazy contrived way, does not change how it feels in the movie.

As I stated, it's present in the novelization, which was written off the shooting script long ago. So it was and is in there...it's just left a little more open in the final product. It's not a dealbreaker moment though. I'm not sure why it would be.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 December 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 December 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Spoiler

Most of those are reasonable responses, showing that there are reasons behind most of the occurences in TFA. However, the fact that most of these things are not explained or hinted at in the film leaves it feeling too rough. I think that's on Abrams, as the director. It's his job to see where viewers can get lost and to guide them. Sure, one can say that these elements are "inessential" to the main plot so it doesn't matter if they're explained, but I don't think that's a good explanation. Without them, scenes in the film just do not make sense.

Also, regardless of whether one wants to put the onus on Kasdan or Abrams, the direction they chose to take the SW universe in, at least as shown in this, the first reboot film, is just...boring. Sure, the Thrawn Trilogy wasn't perfect (not sure what issue you have with the ysalamiri, who are not slugs...but lizards! :p), but at least it wasn't a straight rehash of a story previously told in the same universe. And at least it left me wanting more.

The responses I made, a lot of that is in the movie in one way or another. I noted upthread how even I missed a LOT of exposition on a first viewing.

I actually think that the Thrawn trilogy IS a reshash of the OT, just with a more competent, less sentimental villain (Vader) in Thrawn himself. A military genius kind of a combo of the fear from Vader and the tactics of Tarkin in one guy). The rest of the plot really does read like the OT re-tread. You've got Jorrus C'Baoth in place of the emperor (disguised at first as a wayward Jedi like Ben), you've still got the Rebellion(New Republic) fighting battles against the Imperial remnant under a new leader (ie. nothing has really changed) who is trying to get Luke and Leia so he can turn them (like the Emperor and Vader wanted with Luke), you've got Mara Jade who is a Leia character just flipped so she is bad to begin with. She's still a rescue and a functional female soldier by the end. You've got functional fleet of ships from BEFORE the clone wars (in a universe where the Falcon is considered an old piece of junk) that the Imperials employ to great effect as a new navy (which is just this side of ridiculous). It's all a re-tread too.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users