• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#61 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Justin bieber and one direction make crazy bank.
This does not make them good qt.

Edit for autocorrect.

This post has been edited by Macros: 31 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

#62 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I just read that Mark Hamill is set to return as Luke Skywalker, so that should give some idea about when the film is going to be set.
Get to the chopper!

#63 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm stunned.

I would never have guessed this would happen.

Well played, Disney. Very well played indeed.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#64 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 October 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 31 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

If they had had the balls to off someone remotely important then the avengers might have been more tolerable.
I don't get the love for the avengers film, as an action film, eh, it was passable. As a comic book movie, eh, it was passable.
But the love and hype it gets is ridiculous, its nots a great fil.., its a weak story, weakly told, I much prefered the solo offerings.

Ah, but I think the point is that yours does seem to be the minority opinion and a significant amount of the planet enjoyed it....as it made some serious, crazy bank. The love and hypoe it gets is because everyone is not you sir. :The Force: We actually did love it. Believe it or not.

Eh, I'm more inclined to agree with Mac on this one. It succeeds as an action movie, that I will not deny, but the story was predictable, uninspiring and for the most part entirely tensionless (with a few exceptions, and probably not the one you're thinking).

In any case, a step in the direction of the Avengers movie cannot be anything but good for the Star Wars franchise.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#65 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

MTS said:

1351676870[/url]' post='1005473']

Obdigore said:

1351673051[/url]' post='1005462']
I'm hoping Disney OK's a battlefront 3 and a new game in the vein of xwing and tie fighter.

Or even a capital ship homeworld-esque game in the universe.

Or perhaps a KOTOR 3?

Hells mothertruckin yes!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#66 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Justin bieber and one direction make crazy bank.
This does not make them good qt.

Edit for autocorrect.

92% of critics and 96% of audiences disagree with you Macros. :The Force:

http://www.rottentom...s_the_avengers/

Hey, you are freely entitled to dislike AVENGERS, but considering the praise the film earned across the board from critics and audiences alike as I stated earlier, you are merely in the minority.

And "good" is subjective. Those people who like Justin Beiber and One Direction believe that they are good...how is your opinion of "good" any better or worse than theirs? It's their joy, they are entitled to it, just as you are entitled to yours.

:p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#67 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostBattalion, on 31 October 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

I just read that Mark Hamill is set to return as Luke Skywalker, so that should give some idea about when the film is going to be set.

Sweet! Hamill is in his what 50's or 60's now?

Bring on Grand Master Skywalker and the New Jedi Order!

I'm seriously pumped for this.

In perspective: Had Lucas announced he was doing more movies himself, I'd have been "meh" to "bummed", but for Disney to get new creative talent and a fresh director on these has me "excited" to "pumped"

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#68 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

This so applies in my case:

"You blink, you lose that time forever. You can't be sure how long that blink lasted. A moment, a thousand years. You can't even know for sure that what you see now is the same as what you saw before. You can't. You think it is. You tell yourself that, convince yourself of that. Just a continuation of everything you knew before. What you see is still there. That's what you tell yourself. That's the game of reassurance your mind plays. To keep things sane. But think on that one blink - you've all known it - when all that you thought was real suddenly changes. From one side of the blink to the other. It comes with bad news. It comes with soul-wrenching horror and grief. How long was that blink? Gods below, it was fucking eternity"

This post has been edited by Garak: 31 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#69 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hopefully this no longer applies . . .

This post has been edited by Serenity: 31 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

#70 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

The same critics praised Avatar.
Which also banked tons of cash, was pretty to look at but story wise was a steaming pile.

call me old fashioned if I'm not blown away by pretty cgi effects.
My opinions on games holds here as well. Id rather it looked worse and had better content

#71 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostMacros, on 31 October 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

The same critics praised Avatar.
Which also banked tons of cash, was pretty to look at but story wise was a steaming pile.

call me old fashioned if I'm not blown away by pretty cgi effects.
My opinions on games holds here as well. Id rather it looked worse and had better content

Yes, but these are your opinion. A lot of people liked AVATAR...You seem to be trying to sway me or others that the things you don't like are officially "bad". That's simply untrue. It just means you didn't like them.

Huge, vast, untold billions of people will see and possibly enjoy new Star Wars material from Disney. And a bunch of people probably won't like them or see them. That's cool, either way. But attempting to cease a juggernaut franchise with the words "AVENGERS was bad" is really not going to work methinks. But hey, have at it!

I'm cool with your opinion, but it does not a whole world opinion make. I learned that from my long ago argument about LOST with Amph. :The Force:

Anyways, I like Star Wars...and more Star Wars will make me happy. That's about it.

#72 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Also, is it just me or is it fun to be speculating about new SW movies again?

I haven't properly done this since 1999. Makes me feel young again. :The Force:

#73 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'm gradually recovering from the shock and getting excited.

Unfortunately, I think whatever Disney comes up with will annoy the hardcore. The Thrawn trilogy is the natural next cycle, but it requires the original cast to not have aged 35 years. So maybe they could start with Thrawn but set farther forward and used to introduce the Solo kids. That would destroy a shitload of EU continuity, but I'd be OK with that. More properly they would do NJO to have the kids at the right age, but I pretty much detest NJO, so I'm willing to throw that whole storyline out.

Or hell, jump forward to Legacy or backward to KOTOR. So much gold they could mine either way.

Disney is going to get so paid starting in 2015...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#74 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 31 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm gradually recovering from the shock and getting excited.

Unfortunately, I think whatever Disney comes up with will annoy the hardcore. The Thrawn trilogy is the natural next cycle, but it requires the original cast to not have aged 35 years. So maybe they could start with Thrawn but set farther forward and used to introduce the Solo kids. That would destroy a shitload of EU continuity, but I'd be OK with that. More properly they would do NJO to have the kids at the right age, but I pretty much detest NJO, so I'm willing to throw that whole storyline out.

Or hell, jump forward to Legacy or backward to KOTOR. So much gold they could mine either way.

Disney is going to get so paid starting in 2015...

They won't immediately go back to KOTOR era, since "Episode 7" in the press release implies a post-ROTJ tale. But it could happen down the line.

The more I think on this, the more I think we will see "adaptations" of certain ideas and themes from the EU books (most probably the NJO), and it will be an all new continuity that is an homage to the books EU...which I would be surprisingly okay with. It will be a fine line they will have to tread with fans...if they jettison the entire EU and create a whole new canon, I'd be livid...but if they (for example) decide to not kill off Chewie, or the like and changed only minor things, but still had the spirit and broad strokes of the EU books I'd be very cool.

I mean, as it is it would be HELL to try to match up a new set of movies with 20+ years of EU books, so as long as they pay it a bit of attention then I'm down.

Just don't change the names. The Solo kids need to be Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin. Luke's son has gotta be Ben. Mara Jade needs to be in it. There are certain things which should remain fixed, and I'm cool with other stuff fluctuating.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Look, when I start a sentence with the word "Uh" that's when you should just not bother disagreeing with me, cuz you just make a fool of yourself. Consider such matters settled.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#76 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Vader
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#77 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

give me Anakin Solo on the big screen.

I too want to see Anakin handle his light saber on the big screen, solo.
No Touchy.

#78 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

I dont know what you guys are moaning about. The new star wars are much better than the old ones. Yoda looked totally fake in the old ones and the lasers in the new ones looked much better along with all the other effects. Im looking forward to this new trilogy....

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Somehow i just know the Ewoks are going to factor HUGE in whatever happens next.

Darth Wicket. You heard it here first.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#80 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Avengers was awesome. However, it shouldn't be the reason why anyone wants Joss Whedon as director of a Star Wars film - what worked for one won't work for the other. In particular, the action wasn't special apart from being REALLY BIG and, ideally, SW wants a bit more finesse than that. And it shouldn't be incessant snark either.

However, Serenity showed that Whedon can handle Star-Wars style action just fine, especially space battles.

Even so, though, the most obvious answer isn't necessarily the best one even if he was available. Myself, I'm hoping that Matthew Vaughn left First Class 2 for good reasons...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users