• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2541 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 August 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

If I never see Poe Rey and Finn again I’ll be happy.

I like the characters, they just got a shitty deal in the writing dept.

But yeah, I think they are largely going to be ignored going fwd. Boyega doesn't like how he was done-by with Finn (and rightly so), and Ridley says she has no interest in further SW stuff either...and Oscar has also likely moved on as well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2542 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:42 PM

View PostTraveller, on 17 August 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 August 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 17 August 2021 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 17 August 2021 - 03:58 PM, said:

ST needs to be trashed and redone.

Yeah but how, and do you think they would? We all know it's balls, but I can't see them cutting it away unless they can come up with a World between Worlds loophole that lets them carry on with the Mando story on a different timeline, continuing into the future, and then leaving the ST as a 'what if.'

Just can't see it happening, more likely current new SW has to try to do its best to justify the existence of the ST in any way possible.

If I could offer a suggestion of what might be happening.

The High Republic, the villains from that, the Mandalorians, and other aspects of the recent content is building a new timeline that we can pay attention to going forward. Like whatever Ahsoka and everyone get up to comes around to take the place of the post TROS Galaxy after having taken pace in the unknown regions or something...you know? Like the old timeline with the Sequels exists and happened, but they shift focus to a new one that gets started by shows like MANDO and AHSOKA and such?

Like as annoyed as I am about it not being Luke when does it...maybe Ezra builds the new Jedi Order?

I like this idea. Build enough of a solid story with OT characters that can run alongside and then past the ST. I'm pretty certain all this cloning content is leading somewhere though.

What seems to have changed after the clusterfuck of the ST and the success of Mando is that the balance is tipping in favour of content provided by the 'new' showrunners (even though they've been producing quality animated shows for years) as live action reaches wider audiences.
Like, whereas content and ideas born in the animated shows (like WbWs) would never have previously had a hope of making it into the movies, the success of the tv shows has given them a platform to grow these threads and expand on them.
(Like, if anyone making the ST had actually watched Rebels, that Minister Hydan on Lothal was just begging to be used as a Snoke origin story, instead of the nonsensical puppet idea we got).

The Darksaber, Bo Katan, Ahsoka herself, Thrawn and therefore Ezra; for the most part born within animated shows and now legitimised in live action. Anything goes now, I think they've been given the go ahead to sort things out.

We've had time-jumps to post rotj in Rebels, so it's not impossible that they'll take stories around TRoS and establish a better future.

I could not agree more about Minister Hydan from Rebels becoming Snoke! I thought that made SO much sense AND could've gone anywhere as to what knowledge he acquired after his disappearance...

#2543 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:50 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 17 August 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

My sister has been working on this for the last year. Looks pretty cool!

Your sister continues to be my favourite person ever ^_^

Some of these looked awfully familiar so I went digging into the creators and sure enough the gritty old-timey samurai one has Takashi Okazaki (Afro Samurai creator) credited as character designer (but it's directed by some new up-and-comer), the one that looks like Promare-but-with-darth-waifu is by Hiroyuki Imaishi/Trigger/Sushio, and I'm not sure which but one of them is directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Moribito, etc) maybe the one with the weed trimmer lightsaber. And the tatooine music one is by Colorido (Penguin Highway) so it'll probably be gorgeous as heck.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2544 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:06 PM

View PostD, on 18 August 2021 - 12:50 AM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 17 August 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=lle0NNmvIyU

My sister has been working on this for the last year. Looks pretty cool!

Your sister continues to be my favourite person ever ^_^

Some of these looked awfully familiar so I went digging into the creators and sure enough the gritty old-timey samurai one has Takashi Okazaki (Afro Samurai creator) credited as character designer (but it's directed by some new up-and-comer), the one that looks like Promare-but-with-darth-waifu is by Hiroyuki Imaishi/Trigger/Sushio, and I'm not sure which but one of them is directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Moribito, etc) maybe the one with the weed trimmer lightsaber. And the tatooine music one is by Colorido (Penguin Highway) so it'll probably be gorgeous as heck.

Disney tasked my sister's company with finding the best studios and creators to work with. I think they have done a pretty good job!

#2545 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 August 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

Think I’m a watch Ep IX next so I can bitch about Palps clone.

Yeah.

Definitely.

I keep thinking about a rewatch and then I remember that bit with the Sith dagger and the death star ruins and I change my mind.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2546 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:32 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 August 2021 - 12:06 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 18 August 2021 - 10:51 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 18 August 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

Think I'm a watch Ep IX next so I can bitch about Palps clone.

Yeah.

Definitely.

I keep thinking about a rewatch and then I remember that bit with the Sith dagger and the death star ruins and I change my mind.

And umm horses on the hull of a star destroyer..

I acknowledge the absurdity, but they even explained it... it was far far FAR from the dumbest thing in that movie. The Star Destroyer was the size of a city and they needed a way to get around its hull quickly while it was in the atmosphere.
Got speeders? None. The transports? Flying targets. X-Wings? Can't carry troops. What have we got? Well, we have really big horses....
Versus absolutely EVERYTHING to do with Palpatine, the horses were genius.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2547 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:39 AM

Briar King I hail your courage. I just can't bring myself to re-watch the sequel trilogy, just can't. I've meant to re-watch them multiple times, but they are just so utterly stupid (my opinion, no offense to anyone) that every time I fail to even start.

Also, am I the only one not that into The Bad Batch? I feel like it's missing the overarching storyline and is just a bunch of loosely tied episodes of them doing bounty hunting missions. In the beginning it was exciting, but now I still haven't finished it. Whereas with Clone Wars and Rebels almost every episode made you want to watch the next one and I almost binge watched both of them.

#2548 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:46 AM

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 19 August 2021 - 06:39 AM, said:

Briar King I hail your courage. I just can't bring myself to re-watch the sequel trilogy, just can't. I've meant to re-watch them multiple times, but they are just so utterly stupid (my opinion, no offense to anyone) that every time I fail to even start.

Also, am I the only one not that into The Bad Batch? I feel like it's missing the overarching storyline and is just a bunch of loosely tied episodes of them doing bounty hunting missions. In the beginning it was exciting, but now I still haven't finished it. Whereas with Clone Wars and Rebels almost every episode made you want to watch the next one and I almost binge watched both of them.

Yeah I can't rewatch. So much winds me up. That bit during the duel where they were in two places at once was a really good concept, but all I was thinking was 'You just left Vaders helmet in the dirt in a village?!!'

The abuse of the falcon gets me. The thing is a heap in the OT, the full size sets show it's clunky and rough. But the ST makes it a cgi miniature which gets thrown around like a toy, smashing trees, skidding around on rocks, and crashing into the ground at every opportunity like it wouldn't just smash all over the place. Ugh.

That dagger. More ugh. Horses on the destroyer is actually not as dumb as the rest of it.

I loved the Bad Batch. It has a theme, it has a running storyline, it looks beautiful, it's tying into the other shows nicely; it's subtle. Rebels only really got good though accumulative seasons; glad BBs got another season to look forward to and build on.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 19 August 2021 - 08:49 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2549 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:00 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 August 2021 - 03:03 AM, said:

Who all is this in the voice bit? I can only pick out a handful of them.

Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn
Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Frank Oz as Yoda
Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu
Freddie Prinze Jr as Kanan Jarrus (from Star Wars: Rebels)
Ashley Eckstein as Ahsoka Tano (from Star Wars: The Clone Wars/Rebels)
Angelique Perrin as Adi Gallia (from The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars and, er, Jedi Power Battles on PSone)
Jennifer Hale as Aayla Secura (from Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
Olivia D'Abo as Luminara Unduli (from Attack of the Clones and The Clone Wars)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2550 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 August 2021 - 01:58 PM, said:

I only picked out the top 5

All others went right by me.

I heard Kanan in the theatre and nearly lost my shit. I loud whispered KANAN to my wife...she laughed at me.

#2551 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 August 2021 - 11:17 PM

If you wanna talk about Jedis who get done dirty by the series, what about Yaddle?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2552 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:00 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 August 2021 - 01:49 AM, said:

Fucking Jar Jar..

It’s all his fault what happens next after that emergency power vote. Mas Ameda and Palps played that dumb bumblefuck like a fiddle in Palps office. “If only Senator Ameidla were here.”

But that just means it’s not his fault. Palps and Mas used him, and he’s too simple to know Better.

That said, the emergency powers were strictly military at that point.

The Republic doesn’t get reorganized till Anakin fucks up and helps kill Mace in ROTS. So I blame Anakin LONG before I blame Jar Jar.

#2553 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:51 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 August 2021 - 03:18 AM, said:

One thing that really bugged me since the midichorine bullshit was brought up in Ep I… if you start losing limbs you lose the ones that are in that part of the body so you should become less powerful. I much preferred the OT leaving it as just an energy field/mystical shit.

Midichlorians don't directly give force powers/sensitivity. Every person has midichlorians - people with force sensitivity/powers are just the ones who are able to "listen" to the Force through the midichlorians in their body. Having more midichlorians is linked with having greater total potential to develop crazy strong Force powers and it being easier to get started learning to wield the Force, but once you actually start learning it you are wielding the Force directly and don't necessarily need the midichlorians per se - once you've mastered it you could lose all your midichlorians from your body and still know how to wield it just the same.

(something something all living beings are The Living Force but midichlorians are what allows larger organisms to tap into The Cosmic Force something something I don't know that part)

Also yellow is best lightsaber come at me

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2554 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:59 AM

I seem to remember that when the prequels first came out, the midichlorian count business was vaguely used to explain why Vader in OT was slower and kinda clumsy in the duels - like he lost a lot of his ability having lost limbs.

But all the Vader content since then has contradicted it, his suit making him stronger if anything.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 August 2021 - 06:00 AM

#2555 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

Finally finished The Bad Batch. I have to admit it did get better towards the end, when we FINALLY got another clone (Captain-whats-his-name) show regret over the occupation/treatment of Ryloth. I was really dissapointed that it took so many episodes to find clones other than the 99 who were skeptical of their actions or the actions of the empire (inhibitor chip blah-blah, it only excuses so much).

#2556 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 August 2021 - 02:19 AM, said:

But that wouldn’t happen without Jar Jar opening the can of worms to begin with. He would certainly have found another way to get the clones in play.

Oh my that moment when Mace lights his PURPLE blade! All those years of just green blue and red. Looked sooooo different and great.

Right, but who left him in charge? Padme. If Padme had left anyone else in charge of her spot as proxy, it doesn't happen. Padme leaves him in charge even though she KNOWS how simple Jar Jar is.

So Padme and Anakin are equally responsible.

Jar Jar is rather blameless.

#2557 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 August 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

But that wouldn’t happen without Jar Jar opening the can of worms to begin with. He would certainly have found another way to get the clones in play.

Oh my that moment when Mace lights his PURPLE blade! All those years of just green blue and red. Looked sooooo different and great.

Right, but who left him in charge? Padme. If Padme had left anyone else in charge of her spot as proxy, it doesn't happen. Padme leaves him in charge even though she KNOWS how simple Jar Jar is.

Something something Darth Jar Jar theory...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2558 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:16 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 August 2021 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 August 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

Something something Darth Jar Jar theory...

Haha, it's a good theory.

#2559 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:19 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 August 2021 - 04:43 PM, said:

Is this real?

That you have to ask ... :rofl:

Deepfakes are getting better. Soon we'll have all sorts of crazy pr0n.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2560 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:44 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 August 2021 - 04:59 AM, said:

Spoilers if ya ain’t watched quite a number of the current shows these past few years. So what y’all think? Any legs to stand on here?

Huh, I'd never put together the fact that Ahsoka is a Linch pin....but yeah this tracks.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users