Malazan Empire: FoD landscaping question - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FoD landscaping question who? what? why? when? Wu?

#1 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

If you've read Fod or just looked at the maps you have to be asking the question what happened to the world that created Wu?

My crazy theory is that that K'rul ripped out the lands that would become warrens from the original world ( like he did to jackaru in the MoI prologue) and that Burns dream becomes the world everyone escapes to in the Tiste invasions.

What do you think
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#2 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

just seen someone has posted this theory before in the crazy theory thread :blink:
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yah, it's a good thought though. The Imperial Warren is a pretty huge hint. The only thing I wonder is where the Vitr went. Could K'rul's heart contain even that?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I bet it does. K'rul's heart is like your mom, it can contain anything! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

K'rul's heart is like your mom, it can contain anything!

So much win.

And I don't think K'rul will have much to do with creating the Wu. Well, maybe he will have some role to play in shaping the Burn's dream, but he probably won't pull the Jacuruku shit. When he tries to do this with Draconus and Nightchill they're shocked, can't really believe he can do that, so Wu must have come to existence in a different manner:

(Memories of Ice prologue)

K'rul spoke within the minds of his kin. It must be done. I will fashion a… a place for
this. Within myself.
A warren to hold all this? Draconus asked in horror. My brother—
No, it must be done. Join with me now, this shaping will not be easy—
It will break you, K'rul, his sister said. There must be another way.

and this

The effort left K'rul broken, bearing wounds he knew he would carry for all his
existence. More, he could already feel the twilight of his worship, the blight of Kallor's
curse. To his surprise, the loss pained him less than he would have imagined.

And the same prologue says in one place that Kallor fought wars against Ardatha on Jacuruku. Pretty interesting, and I somehow missed that on both my reads of MoI. Is it somehow explained im Stonewielder?

This post has been edited by Siergiej: 19 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

#6 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Is it somehow explained im Stonewielder?

No, not that I remember. Jakaruku is hardly mentioned at all in SW if I'm correct. There is some addressing of it when Kyle, Ereko and Traveller...uhm...travel...to the place where Ereko gets killed by Kallor in RotCG. And in The Bonehunters, Mappo visits Ardata in the Jakarukan past after the Fall, and declares she has become quite good at hiding. I think it is widely held that she is hiding from Kallor because of that MOI prologue bite. Its murky, but the right clues are around. I think the main point of that scene though was to illustrate how Shadowthrone is so sneaky good he used Magora to get to Ardata to enlist her help in his plans. No one else could find her, but ST did. Sneaky Shadowthrone...

This post has been edited by Stalking Stonny: 19 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well we already know that SD and KG are two chambers in K'rul's heart, so it's pretty safe to say he DOES make room for whatever's gonna happen. I suppose in a roundabout way that does shape Wu too, but as a byproduct. The reason taking in Jacuruku is so problematic for K'rul is that it's a dead, destroyed land -- we don't know how much creating warrens and shaping the paths in general hurts K'rul, of course, but even then we can tell this was a special case. We also know that K'rul has intimate connection to dreams, so I don't think it's unlikely at all that K'rul and Burn communicate.

On a lighter note, my mother was murdered by a couple sadists who filled her with wet cement and let it harden, thinking that would both be very painful and that it would help in sinking the body later. So that joke was particularly on the nose and therefore exponentially more hilarious, obviously.

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

... i feel like i'm at a party and somebody shouted "I have cancer!" just as the song was changing.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

Maybe proof that this IS Wu and that the migration may have happened in the distant past instead of being something to happen later:
"There is a secret place, known to me, known to certain Azathanai. There is a forge that is the first forge.its heat is the first heat. It's fire is the first fire, born inThe time before the Dog Runners, in the time of the Eresal, who have long since vanished into the grasslands of the south, where the jungles crawl down toUnknown seas"- Hust speaking to Ruin, page 445.

This is the first time I got the feeling that the Imass were considered old in this book. Earlier dog runner mentions seemed to view them as an upstart or at least a group that isn't very relevant.
Also seems like SE is trying to tell us something about the Eres, but I don't know what

#10 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Page 296..

"There were never any dog runners this Far East""This wasn't always Tiste land, malady"

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

You gotta admit, FoD is the greatest book ever written.

#12 User is offline   Paleman 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

View Postworrywort, on 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

You gotta admit, FoD is the greatest book ever written.

I'm halfway through and I have to admit you may just have hit the nail on the proverbial.

#13 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Aai! I don't blame you. I don't get the hate from some corners. Kinda fan service, but challenging and confusing in fun ways

#14 User is offline   The Swordbearer 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

Fin reading FoD and still digesting BaB. . I fully agree with worrywort on FoD.

I Have been re-reading RoTCG page 252 and came accross the statement Molk makes to Ghelel outside Li Heng on how the Seti legend puts Burn as actualy sleeping beneath the Seti plain. The book Prologe was stated as Elder Age time unmeasured. Chapter 1 was set as the 1165th year of Burns sleep.

Got me thinking that FoD was set eons into the past. dont know if its enough millenia for a naturaly occuring continentl shift As per our own Gondwana scenario. The Fall of the Crippled God might have accelerated Continental drift and changed the placement of original land configuration. As well as Burns Waking, or tossing and turning in her sleep???

This post has been edited by The Swordbearer: 11 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Well, Edgewalker is surprised to learn in NoK that Malaz is now an island, I'm sure you could squish it up to Quon and then Quon up to Seven Cities. But I'm sure there's both natural and supernatural elements at play in continental drift, since it can't possibly be millions of years span.

And if the Jaghut Odan and Jhag Odhan correspond, would that put the Vitr where the Otataral Island is now? Or maybe a bit west, say Raraku?

#16 User is offline   stev 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

bought FOD the day i finished TCG but i havent got around to reading it yet. will there be any spoilers in any of Eiselmont's books??? Do i open FOD and delve or what???

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Poststev, on 11 March 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

bought FOD the day i finished TCG but i havent got around to reading it yet. will there be any spoilers in any of Eiselmont's books??? Do i open FOD and delve or what???

Nope, no ICE spoilers.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users