• You cannot reply to this topic

Arrow

#21 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 November 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

That or they'll go hamhanded and make him 'Cyborg', in which case i will likely drop the show faster than the next Flash tv series.

That would, I agree, be a surefire way to ruin an otherwise decent show!

I don't really care so much that they're already playing loose and fast with established cannon, as long as what they're doing works. Cyborg wouldn't work!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#22 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

OK, who is the guy with the yellow and black mask? It's right on the tip of my mind but I can't get it. EDIT - it's Deathstroke!

And regarding "The Hood" it's reasonable to assume Ollie just doesn't land on Green Arrow as a name right from the start. Presumably we're going to see that evolve into his name.

Anyway, each ep is a little better than the last, so I'm enjoying.

This post has been edited by McLovin: 08 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 08 November 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

OK, who is the guy with the yellow and black mask? It's right on the tip of my mind but I can't get it.

And regarding "The Hood" it's reasonable to assume Ollie just doesn't land on Green Arrow as a name right from the start. Presumably we're going to see that evolve into his name.

Anyway, each ep is a little better than the last, so I'm enjoying.

Rumour is that he will never be GREEN ARROW...the implication being that him being just ARROW separates him from the GA we saw in Smallville and the one in the comics. At least that's what I heard the showrunners said.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just saw the Deathstroke/torture episode. Decent ep, minus a few downpoints...

On the bright side, neat to see Digg wear the Hood. Mommy Queen finally ball's'd up. Some neat info on the island situation with the mercs. I can't quite decide if everything is a part of Ollie's Master Plan or he just fakes it well, but fun either way.

On the down side, Det. Drake's vendetta is suffering for being both boring and obvious. The romantic tension between Ollie and Laurel is silly, at least on her side. Asian Arrow's fight with Deathstroke was poorly choreo'd and involved a lot of rolling around on the ground (and ffs can't the stunt team stop using bows as hand to hand combat weapons? it's just silly...), and the Deathstroke mask looked bad... i get the (semi-)iconic nature of the comic character, but some comic costumes don't translate well and the half-orange mask is one of them. Should have just made it grey or whatever.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Just started a trawl on this programme, watched the first seven episodes over the last few nights.

Enjoyed it quite a lot to be honest, glad I stacked it up on the old box.

Anyone know if a second season has been ordered?
meh. Link was dead :(

#26 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

I believe a second season has been commissioned.
I quite enjoy the show- it's decent and I kind of like how they develop the characters and the Queen family- as McLovin said, it gets better with each episode.

This post has been edited by Miss Savage: 24 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

#27 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I tried to like Arrow, but I can't. It just doesn't keep me wanting to watch it, and mostly, I just find it extremely un-original.

I lump Arrow in there with Nikita, Beauty and the Beast, and Supernatural. Although I think Nikita is somewhat ok, and I actual sort of like Supernatural. I can't decide which one, Arrow or Beauty and the Beast, that I dislike more.

Sorry, just my two cents.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#28 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I can't decide whether I like this show or not. I've sat through ten eps so far and haven't yet deleted the series link on my Sky box, so I must be enjoying it on some level or other, yet I'm not finding the characters particularly engaging, and some of the acting is abysmal. I guess I'm just hoping something will happen towards the end of the season that will kick it up a gear or three.

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

It's one of those shows that we could just never muster the interest to watch off the PVR...we'd watch one ep, but it was never compelling enough to want to watch the next one...and when we eventually got around to it, we'd watch it and question why we were still PVRing it.

To me, a show really worth watching should make you desire to see the next ep immediately after the end of the one you are watching...otherwise it's kind of failing at episodic TV.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, it does just enough to keep me tuning in, but there's a lot of room for improvement. The lead himself isn't bad but the supporting cast, meh. OTOH, they're not being given a lot to work with. Thea/Speedy, for example, apparently exists to model schoolgirl outfits. They have put several characters on potentially interesting trajectories though - we'll see how that all pays off. Plus the whole island storyline adds just the right amount of WTF.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#31 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Sew....is anyone still watching this? :(

I'm mildly enjoying it. I think the main thing holding it back is really the limitations of the premise; especially in terms of the amount of machination they can fit into one season without throwing out the whole cast. They have to keep *something* for the next season to work on. In that sense, I don't mind so much that it is a bit slow. Better than getting everything done with in one season and then struggling to properly step up for season two. But it also is kind of awkward to be stuck on the whole "maksed hooded vigilante threatens next bad person on his list - possibly while killing several mooks - with his bow". There's a *really* limited scope on that premise, frankly. The best bits are actually from his time on the island... :S

Anyway, rambling summary of thoughts aside, how many of you have made it past ep 15/16? Anyone still watching up to the airing eps? (20, I believe...)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm still watching tho' i'm a week behind. The show held my interest. Some eps have been fairly weak but i don't expect much from the CW and on the balance i've enjoyed more than i haven't.

There are some parts i really dislike, mostly involving Tommy and Laurel, mommy Queen and/or Thea, or any time daddy Drake tries to bust anyone for anything, but Oliver is carrying on nicely and i like the dynamic between him and Dig and now Felicity. Daddy Merlyn hasn't done enuf to really sell him as the big bad, but he has potential. I haven't made my mind up about Roy yet.
The island scenes are great.
They've cut back on him using his bow as an all purpose club but I just wish they'd stop entirely because i roll my eyes every single time he does it.

#33 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I'm still watching. There's still vast room for improvement. I'm not sure if recent events are slow-burning plot advancement, or just giving the adolescent viewers some angst to chew on.

And both the island and current storylines are a bit limited IMO. The show will stand or fall depending how they blow these storylines open in Season 2.

#34 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

My wife watches it still, therefore I watch it, still. I think it's ok. I like the flashback scenes with Crixus the best.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#35 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm still watching it and I'm still enjoying it, but then again, I'm not expecting that much from it so it's not really that easy to disappoint me.

View PostAbyss, on 29 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

and i like the dynamic between him and Dig and now Felicity.

I have to agree, aside from the island, this is by far the best part of the show, and this is coming from someone who immediately sold off Felicity as simple "nerd eye candy". While she's still certainly that, I have to admit that she's grown on me quite alot. Best part about her, she's not useless eye candy and she actually does pull off the I'm basically a nerd" part of her character splendidly.

But as I said, the Island part is definitely the best part of the show,
Spoiler

Hopefully the island will pay off with a truly fucking awesome plot!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I vaccilate on Shaido, mostly because the original comic character was way more intricate. That being said, she's an interesting addition to the island storyline and I like the dynamic between her, Oliver and Slade.

Basically this show shines when there are dangerous people being witty and doing cool stuff, and flounders when it tries too hard to inject needless emotional drama that doesn't end with someone getting an arrow in the face.

#37 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

so i started watching arrow. So far im enjoying it, it is a bit formulaic but it isn't as strict as some show. We'll see how it pans out. I do enjoy the flashback sequences to the island. One thing that irked me though, ep7, that is possibly the worst saber fencing i have ever seen in my life. That's not how you do it!

#38 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 01 May 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

One thing that irked me though, ep7, that is possibly the worst saber fencing i have ever seen in my life. That's not how you do it!

The fight choreography, in general, sucks. See Abyss' rants about using a bow as a melee weapon.

#39 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 01 May 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostBalrogLord, on 01 May 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

One thing that irked me though, ep7, that is possibly the worst saber fencing i have ever seen in my life. That's not how you do it!

The fight choreography, in general, sucks. See Abyss' rants about using a bow as a melee weapon.

went through the thread, couldn't find it.

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

It's not one rant it's a running point. A bow is not a staff and using a bow to clobber six or so thugs would just break it or at least ruin it for accuracy.
The JLU cartoon did the same thru it's entire run but usually Green Arrow ran out of arrows and got clobbered wherever he tried it. Young Justice did it less with Roy.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users