Malazan Empire: (True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man - Malazan Empire

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man Spoilers! These characters are in the future known as...

#21 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 August 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Wasn't it said several times that Draconus was punishing Arathan to get back at his mother who had left them. How does that go well with the idea that Arathan's mother is MD?

My suspicion is that Arathan's mother is Karish - Hood's wife. Or another Jaghut. That'd change the flavor of the Draconus confrontation with Hood and Draconus's grief a bit, eh?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#22 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostDestiny, on 23 August 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

I've got to say that I strongly dislike the idea of Arathan=Tayschrenn. To me it would kind of devalue all his accomplishments in MBotF. Instead of him being an exceptionally powerful mage, capable of at least holding his own against the likes of Anomander Rake, he becomes yet another EG in disguise. I feel like we have enough of those already.

Also, I don't believe that Korya is QB. I distinctly remember his older sister, who was called Torahaval Delat, thinking of young QB and calling him Ben Delat. So at the very least we know that Ben Delat was a human mage from 7C. He could possibly be a descendant of Korya, but I don't think he actually is her.

FINALLY someone who remembers Torahaval, too. I've been feeling like everyone gets blind temporarily every time I mention her or glazes over the fact that she exists and remembers QB as an evil brat.

Also, agreed about Tayschrenn.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#23 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Have to say I agree. i'm getting tired of everyone now popping up as Elder Gods. T'riss, Brood and now possibly Quick Ben and Tay's too?

#24 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Have to say I agree. i'm getting tired of everyone now popping up as Elder Gods. T'riss, Brood and now possibly Quick Ben and Tay's too?

Nefarious Bredd has to be an Elder God.

And of course Bela.....

#25 User is offline   Anomander irake 

• Recruit

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

i also liked that the 3 "sisters" Menandore,Sheltata Lore and Sukul Ankhadu appears in the book, but under slightly different names.

This post has been edited by Anomander irake: 23 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

#26 User is offline   Destiny 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:MBotF,
    Supernatural,
    Vampire Diaries

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostPuck, on 23 August 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

I've got to say that I strongly dislike the idea of Arathan=Tayschrenn. To me it would kind of devalue all his accomplishments in MBotF. Instead of him being an exceptionally powerful mage, capable of at least holding his own against the likes of Anomander Rake, he becomes yet another EG in disguise. I feel like we have enough of those already.

Also, I don't believe that Korya is QB. I distinctly remember his older sister, who was called Torahaval Delat, thinking of young QB and calling him Ben Delat. So at the very least we know that Ben Delat was a human mage from 7C. He could possibly be a descendant of Korya, but I don't think he actually is her.

FINALLY someone who remembers Torahaval, too. I've been feeling like everyone gets blind temporarily every time I mention her or glazes over the fact that she exists and remembers QB as an evil brat.

Haha yeah I totally get you. Every time someone points out that Ben Delat must have been the Andii soul I just want to pull my hair in frustration. Of all the QB scenes surely that one must stand out, since it gives us so much valuable history. And it's not like we get a lot of that Posted Image

View PostAnomander irake, on 23 August 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

i also liked that the 3 "sisters" Menandore,Sheltata Lore and Sukul Ankhadu appears in the book, but under slightly different names.

Yeah, I liked that too, up until the point we learn that Tathe Lore has a daughter named Sheltatha. So does that mean Menandore is hanging around somewhere too?
Я изучаю русский язык, but I'm not very good yet.

#27 User is offline   spim 

• Recruit

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Since Brood shares a blood vow with Anomander or whatever, it probably stops him from being an Elder God which is all about blood magic. Or maybe he follows the same fate as Anomander about refusing to be worshipped as an EG.

#28 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS.

That is all.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#29 User is offline   Anomander irake 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostDestiny, on 23 August 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Haha yeah I totally get you. Every time someone points out that Ben Delat must have been the Andii soul I just want to pull my hair in frustration. Of all the QB scenes surely that one must stand out, since it gives us so much valuable history. And it's not like we get a lot of that Posted Image

View PostAnomander irake, on 23 August 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

Yeah, I liked that too, up until the point we learn that Tathe Lore has a daughter named Sheltatha. So does that mean Menandore is hanging around somewhere too?

yeah she is mentioned in the same note as Tahe Lore i think..i dont have the book before me now..but if you read that passage i think you can discern her name from the one mentioned.

#30 User is offline   Anomander irake 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

the 3 names i thought was the 3 sisters is Tathe lorat, infayen menand and sharenas ankhadu but i see now that they are probably just related to the "sisters" not the sisters themselves. Sukul Ankhadu is a hostage in one of the houses so i was wrong obviously

#31 User is offline   Anomander irake 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

is Kagamandra Tulas the same as Tulas shorn??

#32 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

While some may forget her and others always keep bringig her up, at no point was any actual date mentioned and therefore the memory could go back quite a far distance as we do not know QB's actual age and his sister was involved in many different cults until she fell in with Poliel.... as was QB involved in a shadow cult and maybe others in his past

#33 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostAnomander irake, on 24 August 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

is Kagamandra Tulas the same as Tulas shorn??

Yes, they are the same person.

#34 User is offline   joshbhoy 

• Corporal

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

It is mentioned quite a lot during the series that QB has feminine hands...

Perhaps when QB gains a soul his physical appearance changes slightly taking on some of the characteristics of the person whose soul he has taken.....

Quite like the idea of one of the souls in QB being Korya. There has to be some connection between QB and Korya, i mean the dolls and the closeness of the names.

This post has been edited by joshbhoy: 24 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

#35 User is offline   helgi 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

While I agree that the scene with QB and Torahaval when they were kids seems to go against QB being really old... I still think it's not out of the question.

I.e. I can think of a scenario that goes along these lines:

QB is Korya. Korya is a Mhybe (with a different spelling?) who plays with dolls. Who's to say she didn't live for a very long time and is either:

1) One of QB's souls
or
2) His "actual" soul that was put into the body of a young 7C boy due to... some mysterious reasons via Mhybe and doll magic.

It's kind of far fetched, but I think it means that Torahaval remembering a young QB might not rule out an old QB. At least in some sense...

#36 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postjoshbhoy, on 24 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

There has to be some connection between QB and Korya, i mean the dolls and the closeness of the names.

Korya's dolls ended up becoming the Bole clan in Mott Wood. That's kind of a stretch to relate the Korya dolls/Boles to the stick figures and effigies QB uses as throwaways.

#37 User is offline   joshbhoy 

• Corporal

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

There has to be some connection between QB and Korya, i mean the dolls and the closeness of the names.

Korya's dolls ended up becoming the Bole clan in Mott Wood. That's kind of a stretch to relate the Korya dolls/Boles to the stick figures and effigies QB uses as throwaways.

Is this confirmed in the book?

I kind of rushed through it so might have missed some bits of info. Nearly completed a re-read of the main series and then ill read FoD again slowly while the main series is fresh in my mind.

#38 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

View Postjoshbhoy, on 24 August 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 24 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Is this confirmed in the book?

I kind of rushed through it so might have missed some bits of info. Nearly completed a re-read of the main series and then ill read FoD again slowly while the main series is fresh in my mind.

Korya asks Varandas which series of dolls he gave her, and he tells her the 'bolead' series. it's still entirely possible that varandas or even korya creates some sort of doll ritual that leads to QB being the badass he/she/it is.

edit: because i had to mention that Varandas hadn't mentioned anything about the Venath series yet. perhaps we'll see some first hand jaghut meddling?

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 24 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#39 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 24 August 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

edit: because i had to mention that Varandas hadn't mentioned anything about the Venath series yet. perhaps we'll see some first hand jaghut meddling?

I thought those were the nachts that were with Withal in the main series - or at least Varandas is the guy who created the nachts.

#40 User is offline   FIDDLER 

• Recruit

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 August 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

I'm holding out hope that Arathan is Icarium and that the sundering of the Azath occurred because he was trying to kill Gothos or something other than what the legends say.

Icarium is the son of Gothos and that "Overgrown Hag" as per one of the books.
It cant be Arathan.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users