• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Envy, Spite and Malice Oh my... *SPOILER ALERT*

#21 User is offline   Votan 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostKanese S, on 12 October 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

It's pretty expressly stated that Olar Ethil is their mother. However, that's not to say that such should just be assumed correct.

Could you point me to where? I thought it was pretty expressly stated that Kilimandaros was the mother of Envy, Spite, and Malice. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Arathan meets Kilmandaros and then thinks to himself, if she had three cruel children by what name should they be called?

This is a pretty straightforward reference to Envy, Spite, and Malice, and made me think it was Draconus+Kilmandaros=3 sisters, not Olar Ethil.

This post has been edited by Votan: 10 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

#22 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostVotan, on 10 March 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

It's pretty expressly stated that Olar Ethil is their mother. However, that's not to say that such should just be assumed correct.

Could you point me to where? I thought it was pretty expressly stated that Kilimandaros was the mother of Envy, Spite, and Malice. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Arathan meets Kilmandaros and then thinks to himself, if she had three cruel children by what name should they be called?

This is a pretty straightforward reference to Envy, Spite, and Malice, and made me think it was Draconus+Kilmandaros=3 sisters, not Olar Ethil.

Olar Ethil speaking to Draconus

Scowling, Olar Ethil set her hands upon her distended belly. ‘They don’t feed her.’
They were silent for a few heartbeats, and then he said, ‘Feren did not deserve that.’ ‘I said I was a cruel goddess and I meant it, Draconus. What care I about who does or who doesn’t deserve anything? Besides, she was already well used. You will have a grandchild to play with and let us be plain: I don’t mean tossing on one knee.

How are they, by the way? Our wretched spawn?’ ‘If they had a fourth sister she would be called Venom,’ Draconus replied. ‘As it is, alas, they have no need for a fourth sister.’

#23 User is offline   Votan 

• Corporal

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postnacht, on 10 March 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Scowling, Olar Ethil set her hands upon her distended belly. ‘They don’t feed her.’
They were silent for a few heartbeats, and then he said, ‘Feren did not deserve that.’ ‘I said I was a cruel goddess and I meant it, Draconus. What care I about who does or who doesn’t deserve anything? Besides, she was already well used. You will have a grandchild to play with and let us be plain: I don’t mean tossing on one knee.

How are they, by the way? Our wretched spawn?’ ‘If they had a fourth sister she would be called Venom,’ Draconus replied. ‘As it is, alas, they have no need for a fourth sister.’

Thanks, I appreciate it. What was Erikson doing with the Kilmandaros quote then? Seems odd, but I know he likes to muddle things. Olar Ethil and Burn anyone? lol.

#24 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postnacht, on 10 March 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Scowling, Olar Ethil set her hands upon her distended belly. 'They don't feed her.'
They were silent for a few heartbeats, and then he said, 'Feren did not deserve that.' 'I said I was a cruel goddess and I meant it, Draconus. What care I about who does or who doesn't deserve anything? Besides, she was already well used. You will have a grandchild to play with and let us be plain: I don't mean tossing on one knee.

How are they, by the way? Our wretched spawn?' 'If they had a fourth sister she would be called Venom,' Draconus replied. 'As it is, alas, they have no need for a fourth sister.'

It is interesting that you mentioned this. It does look a little out of place but the children he might be referring to could be the Forkrul.

He returned to his cooking, adding more chips to the fire, but the chill would not leave him. If a goddess of love had cruel children, he wondered, by what names would they be known?

#25 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

from TTH

Alas, it did not occur to either twin that their father understood all too well the potential danger of his daughters forged together in alliance. And in shaping them – as carefully, as perfectly as he shaped Dragnipur itself – he had done what he could to mitigate the risk.
And so, as they walked side by side up the street, in Spite’s mind she had already begun scheming her fateful stab into her sister’s back. While Envy amused herself with virtually identical thoughts, roles reversed, naturally.

Wait, Spite and Envy are twins (fraternal?). For some reason I always assumed Spite was older by a few years
And Draconus shaped them consciously. Interesting. I didnt think Draconus could be this subtle.

#26 User is offline   Iamme 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

View Postnacht, on 18 April 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

from TTH

Alas, it did not occur to either twin that their father understood all too well the potential danger of his daughters forged together in alliance. And in shaping them – as carefully, as perfectly as he shaped Dragnipur itself – he had done what he could to mitigate the risk.
And so, as they walked side by side up the street, in Spite's mind she had already begun scheming her fateful stab into her sister's back. While Envy amused herself with virtually identical thoughts, roles reversed, naturally.

Wait, Spite and Envy are twins (fraternal?). For some reason I always assumed Spite was older by a few years
And Draconus shaped them consciously. Interesting. I didnt think Draconus could be this subtle.

Triplets, actually.

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postnacht, on 29 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

There were some very interesting references to spite, envy and malice (and venom) that I caught on my second read.

Excellent quote fu there, rep'd accordingly.

SE might be doing some verbal trickery but another way to interpret it is

...3. Spite, Envy and Malice are named not only because they have these characteristics but they can actually control these behaviors within others.
4. This is how Envy could control the Seguleh in MoI. Essentially she can amplify that characteristic in others and take over their mind because they cant see anything else

Don't think so. She kept Mok asleep with Mokra, and the other Seguleh had already 'lost' to her so they acknowledged her dominance. No 'envy' involved.

View PostVotan, on 10 March 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. What was Erikson doing with the Kilmandaros quote then? Seems odd, but I know he likes to muddle things. Olar Ethil and Burn anyone? lol.

View Postnacht, on 10 March 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

It is interesting that you mentioned this. It does look a little out of place but the children he might be referring to could be the Forkrul.

He returned to his cooking, adding more chips to the fire, but the chill would not leave him. If a goddess of love had cruel children, he wondered, by what names would they be known?

I took it as Arathan musing on the nature of love and it's lack in his sisters.
Bear in mind that 'love' isn't exactly an aspect to either Kila or Olar, so the comment is wide open to interpretation, but it really does not support Kila over Olar as their mom.

from TTH

And so, as they walked side by side up the street, in Spite's mind she had already begun scheming her fateful stab into her sister's back. While Envy amused herself with virtually identical thoughts, roles reversed, naturally.

...And Draconus shaped them consciously. Interesting. I didnt think Draconus could be this subtle.

Indeed. He shaped them to ensure they would never truly trust each other enough to cooperate, so their power would never be united in one goal. Inevitably one would betray the other.

Interesting how this reflects the dealings between draconic soletaken as described by Silchas in TCG as well.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28 User is offline   Citravaghra 

• Recruit

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

I'm maybe a few weeks late to this discussion, however, I just finished FoD. I really enjoyed the Spite, Envy, and Malice moments. I don't know how to quote other posts yet, so hopefully you can catch what I'm referencing with my points.

1) It's pretty clear (or at least heavily implied) that Olar Ethil is the mother of the three daughters of Draconus.

2) Don't trust anything the Daughters of Shadow have to say. We've met Sheltatha Lore, who is now connected to Sagamander, who is in turn connected to House Dracons. GIven that the trilogy is still 2 books shy of an ending, I think its very plausible that this could be tied in (Creation of the Tiste Edur). I think it's weird, but Sukul Ankhadu is pretty friendly in the books, going as far to bond with Orfantal and looking out for his well-being. I'm curious as to how she becomes crazy as a daughter of shadow.

3) Arathan's thoughts regarding Kilmandaros (Goddess of Love, cruel children...). This is purely speculation, but if some Azathanai are like founding figures of the races, or possibly patrons of a race (OE to the Imass or Draconus to the TIste), is it plausible that Kilmandaros could also be a "patron" in this way. I'm suggesting she's linked as a creator or patron to the Forkrul Assail. Kilmandaros' aspect is a virtue, and that is the highest goal of the Forkrul Assail, to the point where they are cruel and narrow-minded in their pursuits of that. We also know Sechul Lath is the son of Kilmandaros, and in the MBotF he resembles a Forkrul Assail (with multiple jointed limbs). Both Sechul (aka Knuckles) and KIlmandaros fight with their fists, as do the Forkrul Assail.

#29 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

1) i agree. I like those three. Funny stuff, and the are quite wicked.

2) i would posit that its drinking the blood of tiam that makes her act da fool.

3) i think thats about right. O think its mentioned elsewhere that they are her erstwhile children. Knuckles' appearance would be another clue. But SE loves misdirection.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#30 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Sukul Ankhadu was a very sad character to read about, for me, since she seems to be a caring and principled character in FoD, and we know that later she's a lung-eating, murdering psychopath.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#31 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostIamme, on 25 April 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

from TTH

Triplets, actually.

Interesting. Is that stated? Malice seemed younger than the other two.

#32 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostKanese S, on 24 May 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

View PostIamme, on 25 April 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

from TTH

Triplets, actually.

Interesting. Is that stated? Malice seemed younger than the other two.

It is. I was surprised too.

He told himself that he remembered his half-sisters’ mother, a brooding, heavy woman with a strange face, who had either died or departed shortly after weaning the triplets she had borne, but a later comment from Tutor Sagander suggested that the woman he’d remembered had been a wet-nurse, a witch of the Dog-Runners who dwelt beyond the Solitude. Still, he preferred to think of her as the girls’ mother, too kind-hearted to give them the names they now possessed – names that, to Arathan’s mind, shackled each sister like a curse.

#33 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

im hoping draconus really beats the shit out of them when he gets home because what they did.........
also if they are azathanai (are they half or full) can they turn into any form they want
grizzin farl said that he could take any form he wanted to mother dark
so im assuming that enzy and her sis could do
and im guessing they wreak even more havoc when they realise this

#34 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Perhaps Draconus created them in an attempt to control the spite, envy and malice that are destroying the Tiste? To 'excize' it, perhaps, or to at least keep a close eye on it. Pretty stupid of him to let them out of his sight, and he should have known that, so it's puzzling. But so is his entire trip away from his seat of power. Which indeed lets spite, envy and malice (the creatures and the emotions both) grow rampant. Another 'metaphor made flesh', how SE loves those ;)

In my reread, I too enjoy the liberal sprinkling of the words spite, envy, malice, venom in the text. More and more, the triplet seems central to the whole story. In a thematic way, I mean, not in the sense that they control events. Draconus remains a complete mystery though, I still have no idea what his motives are.

#35 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

My theory is that the Tiste are Draconus' creation. And they were straying from his intended path so he he came among them and tried to right the ship, so to speak, and then we have FoD.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#36 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

If that is the case, there is some quasi-oedipal stuff going on with Draconus.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#37 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 February 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

If that is the case, there is some quasi-oedipal stuff going on with Draconus.

Dat olde time religion.

#38 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 04 February 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

My theory is that the Tiste are Draconus' creation. And they were straying from his intended path so he he came among them and tried to right the ship, so to speak, and then we have FoD.

Its pretty much stated that the FA are Kilys, the Imass are OEs while the Tiste are Draconus 'children; isnt it? We have no idea why these azathanai created these races other than because they could. I think Draconus is only involved with his creations because he fell in love with MD who jumped from the Spar of the Andii into chaos without fear. Isnt there a POV that deals with House Dracons fairly recent rise at the start of FOD? He did well in the war and became a much bigger player after that sort of thing.

#39 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated that they are his get. Just hints, allegations, things left unsaid. I guess I shouldn't have said "theory" so much as "operating premise until otherwise convinced". I do remember that part about Mother Dark jumping into Chaos. Its Tulas telling Sharenas about when Mother Dark saw the dragons as she stood at the Spar of Andii. So I did a little research...

Draconus was the heir to Lady Dracons who died suddenly some time before FoD. Then he earned Mother Dark's respect during the Forulkan Wars. I think this is from Ivis' POV early in the book, and he said something about not knowing who Draconus was or where he came from, only that he was the lady's distant cousin.

Haut later tells Korya this on their journey to the spar:

Haut's hand met her back, solid as stone. 'Unwise, hostage. To look upon Chaos is to yield to its invitation. For that, I am most sorely tempted. It is said,' he went on, the axe-head crunching on the bedrock as he let the weapon down, 'that Mother Dark did not hesitate. She leapt into that wild realm. And returned, but not the same woman she had been before. Now, she would turn her back upon Chaos, a champion of all that it is not.'

Later Varandas talks to Korya about the sorcery that Draconus gave Mother Dark, but she's lost in it.

THere is the part where Grizzin Farl is talking to Mother Dark after she was gifdted with the Gate of KG, and he says this:

‘Lord Draconus brought to you his gift, his power. He is the first Azathanai to have done this solely for those who dwell in his domain.’ Grizzin Farl hesitated, and then said, ‘I did not know that your children were ignorant of your Consort’s true nature.’

So then all that we know for sure is that the Tiste are of his "domain".

There may be another part that relates her actual jump into Chaos that I have missed.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 04 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

#40 User is offline   kempster 

• Recruit
  • Interests:SciFi/Fantasy, Sports, Politics, some gaming and of course Calvin and Hobbes.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 04 February 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated that they are his get. Just hints, allegations, things left unsaid. I guess I shouldn't have said "theory" so much as "operating premise until otherwise convinced". I do remember that part about Mother Dark jumping into Chaos. Its Tulas telling Sharenas about when Mother Dark saw the dragons as she stood at the Spar of Andii. So I did a little research...

Draconus was the heir to Lady Dracons who died suddenly some time before FoD. Then he earned Mother Dark's respect during the Forulkan Wars. I think this is from Ivis' POV early in the book, and he said something about not knowing who Draconus was or where he came from, only that he was the lady's distant cousin.

Haut later tells Korya this on their journey to the spar:

Haut's hand met her back, solid as stone. 'Unwise, hostage. To look upon Chaos is to yield to its invitation. For that, I am most sorely tempted. It is said,' he went on, the axe-head crunching on the bedrock as he let the weapon down, 'that Mother Dark did not hesitate. She leapt into that wild realm. And returned, but not the same woman she had been before. Now, she would turn her back upon Chaos, a champion of all that it is not.'

Later Varandas talks to Korya about the sorcery that Draconus gave Mother Dark, but she's lost in it.

THere is the part where Grizzin Farl is talking to Mother Dark after she was gifdted with the Gate of KG, and he says this:

‘Lord Draconus brought to you his gift, his power. He is the first Azathanai to have done this solely for those who dwell in his domain.’ Grizzin Farl hesitated, and then said, ‘I did not know that your children were ignorant of your Consort’s true nature.’

So then all that we know for sure is that the Tiste are of his "domain".

There may be another part that relates her actual jump into Chaos that I have missed.

I had gotten the impression that the domain of Draconus was actually darkness and that the big secret so to speak was that it was all his power of darkness that MD kind of fell into... and that was possibly the reason Rake ended up Dragnipuring him for his .... what was the term....audacity.... not quite right... maybe it was arrogance. Anyway.... guess we will see.

Cheers
Paradise belonged to the innocent. Which was why it was and would ever remain … empty. And that is what makes it a paradise.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users