Malazan Empire: Simeons Rapid Ascent into Crackdom - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simeons Rapid Ascent into Crackdom Of the Dresden kind, obv.

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

**Spoilers up to whatever book I'm on at the time of posting. I'll make it clear!**

It has started... I began reading Storm Front yesterday & I'm already half way through & really enjoying it. I find Harry easy to get along with & I like how seamlessly "our" world is incorporated with the magic world & while people are wary of it, they accept it (kind of how I imagine it would actually be if it happened here...) Very easy to read.

The best part is I have the fir 12 books plus Side Jobs lined up on my Kindle! (Incidentally, where would be a good place to read SJ?)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

(Incidentally, where would be a good place to read SJ?)

Each story in Side Jobs tells you where it fits in the series ("between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty" for example) and you should totally read them at those points, because hey why not?* A full listing, including those stories not found in SJ is at Butcher's site here. I'd also recommend finding and picking up his Welcome to the Jungle graphic novel, which takes place shortly before Storm Front.

*As far as I know, the short stories have no spoilers for those books they slot in before.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

The dresdencrack, it growz, IT GROWZEZ!!!!!!!
Welcome to the ranks of the dresdencrackheads. Bk 1 will entertain you. 2 and 3 will do so slightly more. After 4 IT OWNZEZ YOUR SOUL!!!

Altho i will raise the spectre of drescrack overdose. I found that i needed to read something else between every 3-4 books or so. Of course, that was when i had nine books to work with.

A 'less work' approach to SIDE JOBS rather than having to check where the short stories in SJ fit in would be to read it whole after CHANGES. The latest set story in SJ takes place just after that book and believe me there are things you do NOT want spoiled.

I'll second SMZ on WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. Worth your time/dollars and you can read it at any stage.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I dunno if it's just the UK version, but my Side Jobs has a short intro before every story which includes, at the top, its precise place in the series...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

If it's less work you're after, I'm your huckleberry:

• "Restoration of Faith" (Side Jobs)
  • Welcome to the Jungle (graphic novel)
  • Storm Front
  • Fool Moon
  • "B is for Bigfoot" (Under My Hat)
  • * Ghoul Goblin (graphic novel)
  • Grave Peril
  • Summer Knight
  • Death Masks
  • "Vignette" (Side Jobs)
  • Blood Rites
  • Dead Beat
  • "I Was A Teenage Bigfoot" (Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste)
  • "Something Borrowed" (Side Jobs)
  • Proven Guilty
  • White Night
  • "It's My Birthday Too" (Side Jobs)
  • "Heorot" (Side Jobs)
  • Small Favor
  • "Day Off" (Side Jobs)
  • Backup (Side Jobs)
  • The Warrior (Side Jobs)
  • "Last Call" (Side Jobs)
  • "Curses" (The Naked City)
  • "AAAA Wizardry" (Dresden Files RPG: Our World)
  • Turn Coat
  • "Love Hurts" (Side Jobs)
  • "Bigfoot on Campus" (Hex Appeal)
  • "Even Hand" (Dark and Stormy Knights)
  • Changes
  • Aftermath (Side Jobs)
  • Ghost Story
  • * Bombshells (Dangerous Women)
  • Cold Days
  • * Skin Game

(* forthcoming)

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 04 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Like Abyss, I got seriously burnt out by book 4. Do yourself a favor and insert something different between installments o' the crack. Prevents burnout, plus holds off the point you catch up the series and have to wait like everyone else.

So jealous of the fun you're about to have. Enjoy!!!
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 23 July 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Like Abyss, I got seriously burnt out by book 4. Do yourself a favor and insert something different between installments o' the crack. Prevents burnout, plus holds off the point you catch up the series and have to wait like everyone else.

Yep, as aweosme as the series is, you really should do 3 books in a row and then break for a few books and then come back and repeat. It works best that way!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

The dresdencrack, it growz, IT GROWZEZ!!!!!!!
Welcome to the ranks of the dresdencrackheads. Bk 1 will entertain you. 2 and 3 will do so slightly more. After 4 IT OWNZEZ YOUR SOUL!!!

Altho i will raise the spectre of drescrack overdose. I found that i needed to read something else between every 3-4 books or so. Of course, that was when i had nine books to work with.

A 'less work' approach to SIDE JOBS rather than having to check where the short stories in SJ fit in would be to read it whole after CHANGES. The latest set story in SJ takes place just after that book and believe me there are things you do NOT want spoiled.

I'll second SMZ on WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. Worth your time/dollars and you can read it at any stage.

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Yep, as aweosme as the series is, you really should do 3 books in a row and then break for a few books and then come back and repeat. It works best that way!

Heretics. The only thing that should be read in between Dresden crack is more Dresden crack. Once the crack has you the taste only gets better with each hit.

This post has been edited by Vengeance: 23 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#9 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Dresdencrack welcomes you!

Started a reread of Dresden and half way through Fool Moon... god I love these books!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#10 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

I've just finished Ghost Story. I read them all in one go in about three months and now I'm exhausted! Well worth it though, this is an incredible series.
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice & chat guys will reply properly/dispense rep when on a computer again... Am now on Fool Moon & quickly read the first story in Side Jobs as well based on excellent advice from SMZ... So easy & entertaining to read!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Finished Fool Moon and am about a quarter way through Grave Peril. Didn't like FM as much as SF for some reason. I think I get slightly annoyed by all his moral pontifications and guilt-laden worries about how people die when they help him take down uber-werewolves with FBI training etc. It gets a bit much though the end of that book was just as insane and fast paced, and I did enjoy it a lot!

Now I am currently loving the character of Michael. Which probably means he will die in some epic way, and Dresden will be left to explain it to a very angry Charity... *sigh*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 July 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Finished Fool Moon and am about a quarter way through Grave Peril. Didn't like FM as much as SF for some reason. I think I get slightly annoyed by all his moral pontifications and guilt-laden worries about how people die when they help him take down uber-werewolves with FBI training etc. It gets a bit much though the end of that book was just as insane and fast paced, and I did enjoy it a lot!

Despite my love for the way Butcher incorporates different flavorsd of werewolves into that book, FM is probably my least fave because the tone and self-angst is so nearly identical to SF that it almost becomes tiresome. That said the book has some legendary action scenes, notably the cop shop massacre and Marcone's knife throw.

Now I am currently loving the character of Michael. Which probably means he will die in some epic way, and Dresden will be left to explain it to a very angry Charity... *sigh*

hee hee mwa hah haa...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

loup garou ftfw!

Reading small favour right now. I wonder if tiny could take the garou in a fight...
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#15 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Quick question. Am halfway through Grave Peril & they think the Nightmare is the demon that they took down whilst tackling a sorceror called Kravos. Why did the White Council not come down on this chap Kravos, cos from what I can tell, he has broken a bunch of the laws of magic and they seemed very quick to condemn Dresden for it in his past when he killed Justin in self defence. They should have done something about him... Seems a bit inconsistent.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Kravos is dead. Something was already done about him.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 July 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Quick question. Am halfway through Grave Peril & they think the Nightmare is the demon that they took down whilst tackling a sorceror called Kravos. Why did the White Council not come down on this chap Kravos, cos from what I can tell, he has broken a bunch of the laws of magic and they seemed very quick to condemn Dresden for it in his past when he killed Justin in self defence. They should have done something about him... Seems a bit inconsistent.

Amph's correct. He was dealt with.

...and it's probably better if you assume early on that the White Council ain't exactly all that white. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Introducing Michael was probably what sold me on the series. Before him I didn't care about any side characters.

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

From what I could make out, Kravos only died when he killed himself in order to come back as a ghost, so as to do his Nightmare stuff.

Anyways, oh my what an ending to book three! Intense! Have started book 4 (will consider a pause once I reach the end of it) and Harry has just entered the Undertown with Billy the Werewolf. It definitely keeps me wanting to keep reading!

Another quick question: Am I the only one who has a little smirk every time he gets his blasting rod out?? :) :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

book four is great fun. The unseelie court is one of butchers better supernatural constructs.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 30 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users