• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMOL Excerpts and news, etc.

#21 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Demandred was the one Rand used Balefire against in Shayol Gul, right? And their balefires hit each other,and that's how Rand can use the One Power? It's been a while.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#22 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostBrujah, on 27 September 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Thats good to hear, actually. I never wanted Taim to turn out to be Demandred. So is there a current theory as to who Taim really is? Or is he just Taim.

Taim is just Taim. Some thought he was Moridin but that was debunked in the prologue (and further debunked by a beta reader on Theoryland). He was probably trained by Ishamael before he proclaimed himself Dragon in Saldaea. After Ishamael died he apparently reported to Demandred, and then reverted to reporting to Moridin when he appeared.

View PostBrujah, on 27 September 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Demandred was the one Rand used Balefire against in Shayol Gul, right? And their balefires hit each other,and that's how Rand can use the One Power? It's been a while.

I assume you mean Shadar Logoth. That was Moridin (Ishamael in a new body). I also assume you mean the True Power? We are pretty sure he uses it via his link with Moridin, but we're not sure whether the link was forged during the stream-crossing or whether the stream-crossing merely aggravated an already-existing link.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#23 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostTerez, on 27 September 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Thats good to hear, actually. I never wanted Taim to turn out to be Demandred. So is there a current theory as to who Taim really is? Or is he just Taim.

Taim is just Taim. Some thought he was Moridin but that was debunked in the prologue (and further debunked by a beta reader on Theoryland). He was probably trained by Ishamael before he proclaimed himself Dragon in Saldaea. After Ishamael died he apparently reported to Demandred, and then reverted to reporting to Moridin when he appeared.

I assume you mean Shadar Logoth. That was Moridin (Ishamael in a new body). I also assume you mean the True Power? We are pretty sure he uses it via his link with Moridin, but we're not sure whether the link was forged during the stream-crossing or whether the stream-crossing merely aggravated an already-existing link.

Yeah, Shadar Logoth, True Power^

It's been an extremely long time since I read that book. Just remembering some of this stuff makes reminds Mr how great the series is. I like Logain. Min kept seeing greatness in his future, so maybe he plays an important role at the Last Battle. My favorite character is Mat, though, by far. He's such a brilliantly created character. I was never a huge fan of Perrin, though for some reason. I just find him boring, and I always hated the entire Faile sub- plots. I could read about Rand or especially Mat the entire time, though.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#24 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostBrujah, on 27 September 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

View PostTerez, on 27 September 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Yeah, Shadar Logoth, True Power^

It's been an extremely long time since I read that book. Just remembering some of this stuff makes reminds Mr how great the series is. I like Logain. Min kept seeing greatness in his future, so maybe he plays an important role at the Last Battle. My favorite character is Mat, though, by far. He's such a brilliantly created character. I was never a huge fan of Perrin, though for some reason. I just find him boring, and I always hated the entire Faile sub- plots. I could read about Rand or especially Mat the entire time, though.

For the first few times I read the series my favourite character changed. I loved them all but each time I had a new favourite. After many re reads my favourite is Mat.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#25 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

To be honest, it makes me a bit sick that you would release the prologue for money. Just feels so greedy to me.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#26 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

It's over 10% of the book; it would be stupid to release it for free. They don't make very much money off it because most fans don't hang out on the internet; likewise we don't have to pay very much for it. Which is more worth $3? The AMOL prologue 3 months early, or a Big Mac? You tell me...

There it is.

#27 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Not blown away by the prologue excerpt (but thanks for the linky), and the quick gloss-over of Chapter 1 seems nothing more than a catch-up between Rand and Perrin.

The chapter 11 cut-out however.... seems Sanderson has mastered writing Mat. And it seems lacking an eye does not make him less bad-ass with a throwing knife.

As for the 80 PoV thing: I guess this is going to be akin to the Marines Dying Chapters in Erikson's chapters, and The Last Battle is going to be a real Battle instead of armies dying for show somewhere while the Big Guns duke it out at high noon in Caemlyn with balefire instead of Colt 45s and the winner porting in to re-seal/open the Bore.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#28 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostTapper, on 27 September 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Not blown away by the prologue excerpt (but thanks for the linky), and the quick gloss-over of Chapter 1 seems nothing more than a catch-up between Rand and Perrin.

The prologue excerpt is probably the least interesting scene in the prologue. The chapter 1 excerpt barely hints at what happens in the rest of the chapter.

The chapter 11 cut-out however.... seems Sanderson has mastered writing Mat.

:)

There it is.

#29 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostTerez, on 27 September 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 27 September 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

The prologue excerpt is probably the least interesting scene in the prologue. The chapter 1 excerpt barely hints at what happens in the rest of the chapter.

The chapter 11 cut-out however.... seems Sanderson has mastered writing Mat.

:)

From what I remember of the first book Sanderson wrote in WoT, Sanderson-Mat was not quite Jordan-Mat and it screamed so on every page. This was much better.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#30 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

There have been some improvements, but I don't think it's much better, and nothing close to 'mastered'. Now, I realize that my WoT saturation level makes every little difference stand out, and that most readers are far less sensitive to these differences, so I won't detail them because, for the sake of your enjoyment of WoT, it's best you don't notice them. But I will say that the worst part about Mat in TGS was his introduction, and everyone knows the importance of first impressions. Our first impression of Brandon's Mat, his opening scene in TGS, screamed (more than anything else) 'trying too hard' (and failing). So that affected our view of Mat through the entire book. We didn't have the same problem in TOM, so most people relaxed, but overall Brandon's portrayal of Mat did not change very much. And some of those things in the first scene (the backstories that were so awful on so many levels) are actually referenced in TOM and also in the chapter 11 excerpt, which was galling for people who not only hated those bits but discussed them on the internet as we bookgeeks tend to do.

So of course your opinion is valid (for you) but please be careful with words like 'mastered'. :)

There it is.

#31 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

So the chapter 1 that was posted is the full chapter, correct? I'll probably read both it and the prologue a couple of days before AMoL comes out. Just to have a head start.

#32 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

The prologue is more than 10% of the book? That seems quite much to be honest.

Anyway, the way I see it, the prologue acts as an enticement to bring in the customers, like cocaine. Give them a bit of it for free, leave them wanting more and then suddenly release a bucketful and tell them that they are free to purchase it. Damnit, it works wonderfully with S.E. stuff!!!

Dunno what to say, I really still feel it is pure greed to release a freaking prologue and demand money for it. As to the value of the money, that is just a bad example.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostSindriss, on 27 September 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

To be honest, it makes me a bit sick that you would release the prologue for money. Just feels so greedy to me.

I don't think it's a lot to pay for the hard work of the author's for the option of reading some stuff early.

A somewhat fair example in another media is that you could see 3 DARK KNIGHT RISES trailers before the film dropped for free...but if you paid a little extra to see Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol in IMAX theatres (which cost a little more), you got to see the first 5 minutes of the film almost a year early. I had no problem doing that. I realize the analogy isn't perfect as you are paying to see another film...but still.

Either way, I don't see how charging some $ to read something early like that is "greedy". You are still paying an author and publisher for work that's been done. Why do you think should it be free? That feels like an entitled stance IMHO.

And Sindriss, no one is demanding anything from you. You are quite welcome to wait the few months till it comes out if you'd rather not shell out.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#34 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostSindriss, on 27 September 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

The prologue is more than 10% of the book? That seems quite much to be honest.

It's just how prologues work; they cover a number of side plots that set up the main body of the book. Not all of them are so long, but the KOD prologue for example was 84 pages out of 746 for the whole book (not counting the glossary). The prologues of TGS and TOM were shorter, but the AMOL prologue is significantly longer than those two. We're not sure what it comes to in print pages, though, or its proportion of the book.

Anyway, the way I see it, the prologue acts as an enticement to bring in the customers, like cocaine. Give them a bit of it for free, leave them wanting more and then suddenly release a bucketful and tell them that they are free to purchase it. Damnit, it works wonderfully with S.E. stuff!!!

That's why they release chapters 1 and 2 for free, and they usually try to make them independent from the prologue (not spoiling the prologue). This time it didn't work out that way, so they gave excerpts of chapters 1 and 11 and cut them off before they became relevant to what came before. We'll probably get chapter 2 for free on audiobook soon, and the full chapter 11 not long after that. I'm guessing that chapters 3-10 are dealing with a plot line that's behind in the chronology. But there is a possibility we'll need another one of those chapters (maybe 3) to catch up to Mat well enough to read the rest of chapter 11. The early release stuff has been coming out earlier than usual this time, so there is either more of it than usual, or they're planning on moving up the release date.

Dunno what to say, I really still feel it is pure greed to release a freaking prologue and demand money for it. As to the value of the money, that is just a bad example.

How is it a bad example? If you want it, and the price is not too much, you will pay it. If you want it, and you think the price is too much, you will be torn between the two. If you don't want it particularly much, you probably won't buy it. You seem to be in the middle, and people like you show up every time a prologue is released to complain. :) If you didn't want it, you wouldn't care one way or another, but for whatever reason you think $3 is too much to pay for something you obviously want. It's a simple reality that books take time to print, and the publishing industry is not rolling in so much dough that it can afford to release blockbusters in full ebook before the print release. And of course the NYT list, being the #1 marketing tool, is a big consideration. Maybe one day. But for most other books it's not even relevant because most books don't have such hugely-long prologues.

There it is.

#35 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Added link for chapter 2 audio:

http://www.tor.com/b...ice-of-an-ajahq

We had a transcript up but had to take it down because of a copyright claim. That's never happened before when we transcribed audio releases or con readings, but apparently we pissed them off by endeavoring to assemble the prologue via Google Books and forcing them to release it early. (We only did that after the ebook went on sale early in Canada, by the way.)

There it is.

#36 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

What really screwed you was whichever pillock linked it to reddit (if it was you, you're still a pillock).
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#37 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

ha, yeah I actually figured as much. He announced that he had done so at Theoryland, and I was thinking....thanks dude. My mom said she saw 2100 viewers on there at some point. Eventually I figured I'd better put a source link up, and less than an hour after I put the source link up, I got the copyright notification. Usually when we do stuff like this, only the HCFFs are paying any attention.

This post has been edited by Terez: 25 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

There it is.

#38 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

If you haven't heard, Tor is doing a promotional mailing list thing (which you can still sign up for) whereby they release one tidbit from AMOL every day from here until the book comes out. The tidbits could be "Sentences, words, paragraphs, chapter titles..." etc. Today was the end of the first week, and I thought I'd do a weekly digest of them here in case anyone could be interested. This week's tidbits, which were all basically sentences/short paragraphs (the last one is technically two paragraphs, but probably the least meaty of the five)....EDIT: They actually meant 'daily', so I'll add Saturday's to this. No real speculation on this one yet, but we think it's pretty huge.

Spoiler

Common speculation on these:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Terez: 01 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

There it is.

#39 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

This weeks tidbits from AMOL:

Spoiler

There it is.

#40 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostTerez, on 09 December 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

"We must not use this weave."

So... this?

Posted Image
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users