Malazan Empire: Alex Verus Novels (Benedict Jacka). - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alex Verus Novels (Benedict Jacka). Better than Dresden Files ??

#1 User is offline   Tamilyrn 

• Shuffling the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Just finished the second Alex Verus novel (Author Benedict Jacka) and it's been a long time since I was so impressed with a budding series. Dresden now is well established but I'm not sure that I was so excited after the second installment.

The storyline/theme is similar to the Dresden Files although the 'diviner' mage is an excellent twist and there is enough difference to give Jacka his own voice. Already put the third on my watch list and am hopeful that the series will evolve and fulfill it's potential.

Anyone else read ?

#2 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

I've read the first, was very impressed. Didn't realise the second one was out yet, I can't get it at the moment but I certainly will be.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Better than Dresden... Is that even possible?!?!?!?

But I will now have to check these out for myself, been looking for something new to read and if it comes anywhere close to Dresdencrack then we're onto a winner!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'm holding everyone in this forum personally responsible for my out-of-control TBR pile. {Grumble, grumble.}
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

View Postchamp, on 25 June 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Better than Dresden... Is that even possible?!?!?!?

Not really, no. THE DRESDENCRACK, it RULEZEZ!!!!

but i'll have to check out this series anyways.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 June 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

I'm holding everyone in this forum personally responsible for my out-of-control TBR pile. {Grumble, grumble.}

welcome to my world.
I recently determined that if i read a book a week for the next two years i would get through my TBR, assuming i acquired no further books during that time.

riiiIIIIiiiiight.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostAbyss, on 26 June 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 June 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

welcome to my world.
I recently determined that if i read a book a week for the next two years i would get through my TBR, assuming i acquired no further books during that time.

riiiIIIIiiiiight.

Oh, yes. I did that exact same calculation last year sometime, and I think I got something like 5-7 years. And I've acquired, um, almost 100 books so far this year...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

I don't have that problem. I basically have caught up to everything except the Vorkosigian series and the Vlad Taltos series. This will be a "try out" for me.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't say the series is better then Dresden but then it's only two books long and imo Fated is probably better than Storm Front.

#9 User is offline   champ 

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

These two books are brilliant! Not as good as Dresdens later novels but a match for the earlier ones in my opinion! Finished them both in the day, couldn't put them down!

Very similiar style and pace to Dresden, Benedict Jacka has taken the best elements of Dresden and thrown them in with his ideas. The only thing missing really is the added humour Butcher brings to the table! They could be set in the same world.

Spoiler

I could even see Butcher/Jacka writing a joint novel later on in the game.

Definately added to my must read/buy on day of release list!

Tehol said:

#10 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

I could quite easily say these books are better than the Dresden ones, but I've only just started reading Death Masks so I suppose that mostly invalidates my opinion. Alex Verus is cleverer than Harry Dresden though, and much less of a dick.
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#11 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Fear not my friends. I, in service to the forums, as someone who has read all the Dresden Novels, have just downloaded the first book. I shall return with comments upon completion. Perhaps I shall read Storm Front again afterwords for a good comparison.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Not as good. Not as well written. More YA in feel (not that that is a bad thing in and of itself), so the depth of theme isn't as evident as even early Dresden. Characterisation probably on a par for Alex, but sorely lacking for the other characters. And the sense of place that brings Chicago to life in Dresden is not there for Jacka's London. He could take tips from Kate Griffin on how to make London sing.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostShiara, on 24 July 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

I could quite easily say these books are better than the Dresden ones, but I've only just started reading Death Masks so I suppose that mostly invalidates my opinion. Alex Verus is cleverer than Harry Dresden though, and much less of a dick.

If you finish DEATH MASKS and come back here and post that Jacka has any single scene that compares to the finale of DM, i will aquire these books.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

Finished the first book. The writing is certainly never up to the later Dresden books, but clearly I read it quickly and wanted to read more. I'm DLing the next one on my phone now.

Its kind of different because Verus has no battle magic, so he cant stand up and trade blows with anyone. It is different, but I can't decide if I like it more or less than what Dresden does.

The final battle in the first book was interesting, but I would compare it the final battle in Storm Front, and this one might be better, but there are a ton more players involved.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostUse Of Weapons, on 27 July 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

And the sense of place that brings Chicago to life in Dresden is not there for Jacka's London.

That's a curious one, I can't say I agree... for all of Butcher's strengths, I don't think depicting Chicago strongly was one of them. To a point it's probably a deliberate decision - I love Griffin's books but in terms of her London, for someone who's never been there or only seen the tourist bits it's probably a lot like reading about New Crobuzon, just a different sort of read to the light touch Butcher (and Jacka) are going for - but at least Jacka gives the impression that he knows London a bit whereas Butcher infamously had never been there and received a lot of complaints early on that his Chicago bore no resemblance to the actual one.

I agree that the supporting cast is not yet up to Butcher's standard (as of the first, not read book 2 yet), but I did enjoy them.

#16 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Second Book was not as good as the first. I also do not think the writing has improved at all. The Finale was boring and felt really drawn out in the battle-lead-up then the 'battle' felt amazingly rushed, and although what happened was kind of cool, it was very forgettable as well.

Honestly I like the Scholarly/Time Mage more than either Alex or anyone else. And if he starts working more closely with Cinder and Deleo it might be interesting, but w/e. I wouldn't say no to reading a third, but they certainly are not, at this point, on my pre-order list.

#17 User is offline   champ 

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

New book Taken released tomorrow but Waterstones have it in now! Purchased!

Tehol said:

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I got about 50 pages into FATED and while I found it decent-ish, all it really made me do was yearn for Dresden.

I will finish it, but I'm not overly compelled to do so soon.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I got about 50 pages into FATED and while I found it decent-ish, all it really made me do was yearn for Dresden.

I will finish it, but I'm not overly compelled to do so soon.

_Cursed_ is better, but still not up to Dresden standards. (Given that I really liked _Fool Moon_ on first reading.)
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#20 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Here we go again with the Dresden comparisons ;)
*casting the shaved knuckle*

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users