Malazan Empire: Cinquentas - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cinquentas 50-word stories -- try and write one!

#1 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

Here is a thread for people who want to try writing these ultra-short stories. 50-word hard limit, a cinquenta must be exactly 50 words, no more, no less. Have a go!
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#2 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

A gorgeous day, sailing the clouds on his ivory glider, the vivid ochre desert scenery below marred only by his shadow. Day after his 60th birthday, he enjoyed his last rush of adrenaline, white on black, wet on dry, soft on hard, his soul squeezed free of this wretched cancer.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#3 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

In the morning he rose, another day to labor for nothing, staving off the streets for noone but himself. At work he beat the clock, forced to stay, but he walked. When the bus passed, he laughed. Never again. Would he come back tomorrow? How could he? But he will.

I liked yours, gh.

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

Sighing, he gazed adoringly at the glass before him. It showed a view of surpassing loveliness, but when didn't it? A shame she couldn't take it anymore, a shame she left him over his worship. Still, on reflection, he liked the lack of distractions. He kissed the mirror and left.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

The rain poured down on the cobbles, gas-lit street lights spread gloomy bulbs of yellow at regular intervals, emphasizing the harsh angles of slate rooftops. The imperfections of the blown glass window panes distort my view of the outside world, turning Aachen into Transsylvania. I order another cup of coffee.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

He screamed—a terrible wail that filled his ears like water fills the lungs of a drowning man. His heart pounded wildly, trying to burst out of his chest and his skin was slick with sticky sweat—or was it blood? He didn't know. In the darkness, he screamed again.

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 04 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#7 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

the smell of the room reminded him of home, Cindy and kids playin' games in the lounge. He looked around. Cindy would love the orange curtains. He lay back, eyes closed. Then she walked in. a stranger in nothing but a towel and a smile. After he'd go buy curtains.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 04 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

There was only one thing left for it, and he knew nobody was going to like it, but he'd lay out their options and let them fight about it. While they were doing that, the last fueled vehicle left would carry him away. In the end, families always ate themselves.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 06 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

The man? Or the woman? He couldn't decide. Both had their attractions. The man, tall and strong. The woman, pale and demure. The choice was black and white. In the end, perhaps, he would choose as he always did. And make the same vow: "No more wedding cake, ever!"

This post has been edited by UseOfWeapons: 06 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

These are fun.

#11 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostJLV, on 07 June 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

These are fun.

Agreed, so much talent. Thanks UoW for starting this thread.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#12 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Palms red from back slapping, chapped hands, all are laughing. What a lark! A breeze! Like tweets el supreme! Literary fancy takes flight from our fingertips! Not the ones down below, man, what are you a savage? But sudden a thought, a circlejerk? Really? It seems I've stumbled into Reddit.

Tongue firmly in cheek <_<

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 07 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

- Oscar Levant

#13 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

"Wrong day to play," clucked Chuck, ruffling sparkling dust of his feathers.
"Meh, we would have died, not swerving," stated Harrison, preening a wing atop the Mustang hood, "'cause we're almost as stubborn as a... hehe"
"Very funny, at least you didn't assume she wasn't a goddamn fairy!" brayed Jack.
~Abyss

#14 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

"That one." He pointed, then crooked a finger at the assistant, beckoning. "I'll take her."

"An excellent choice, sir. She comes with all the latest features." The assistant smiled artificially, then presented the terminal for his thumbprint. Transaction declined. "Sorry, sir."

Who wants a blow-up doll these days, anyway?

This post has been edited by UseOfWeapons: 10 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

-- Oscar Wilde

#15 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

The red rivulet oozed gelatinous down the schismatic tracks of the cracked paving, fanning branches descending together into the gutter. A mop’s flash and surge of soapy water, and it was gone. The viscous blackening patches on the brickwork followed suit. And so the traces of the act were vanished.

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 15 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#16 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sweat beaded on his brow and he could feel the heat rising in his cheeks. His mind raced as he glanced over his shoulder at the ever-growing crowd bearing down on him. Suffocating him. He knew that his time was almost up. How hard could it be? Chocolate or banana?
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#17 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:28 AM

He struck, leaping forth, desperate for the prize. Spectators caught breath as smiles came unbidden to their faces. His opponent spun, arcing around to come in for another pass. His weapon tightly gripped, he swung blind, aiming to score a hit upon the papier-mache donkey and claim its candy innards.

- Oscar Levant

#18 User is offline   Nomadicus 

• D'ivers
  • Interests:Reading, playing guitar, piano and bass. Malazan malazan malzan mzlamn zmanlzn anzmna :D

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

Skulking in the shadows he witnessed: Two men stood around a fire. They were talking in hushed tones. Inhuman tones. He pressed the button on his radio and whispered, "I've found the-"
Slowly they turned and he found himself staring into four eyes; black swirling pools, pitted with red. These were not humans. Anything but.
Geared and ready sergeant. Point the way.

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

I made one of these. A little formally odd perhaps but it's what came to me. If you don't like it, no problem. Tell me, and I will burn down my computer.

Heat. Crawl. Hours. Thirsty. Canteen? Unlikely. Empty.

Think. Sand. Dry. “Shit!” Ouch. Whimper. Curl. Sleep.

Wake. Dark. Cold. Shiver. Stretch. Stand. Step.

Fall. Shit. Stop. Steady. Rise. Steady. Listen. Anything?

Something. Something! Step. Steady. Step. Go.

Kitten?! Sleeping. Miracle. Meat. Blood. Quick.

Yes! Big. Kitten? Wait. Cub. Wait. Growling.

Wait!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

He crept forward, sick with fear and expectation. The crowd roared him forward, a monster at his back. He hefted his weapon as he stared down as his adversary. There was truth in this contest, and losing another kind of death. The plate beckoned. Deafening chants: "COME ON LITTLE LEAGUERS!"

This post has been edited by Use Of Weapons: 29 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users