Cyberpunk 2077 The Grim future of Cyberpunk is surprisingly buggy

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

The PC gaming world just had an orgasm.

http://www.rockpaper...ew-sci-fi-game/

CD Projekt Red’s New RPG: Cyberpunk

EXCITING UPDATE: It’s a AAA RPG of Cyberpunk, the pen and paper RPG. It is being made by Witcher and Witcher 2 veterans. They’re saying stuff like “Advanced RPG mechanics” and “mature content”. Customisable characters, different classes. Lots of weapons. Non-linear. “Cutting edge looking game”. And also “not a game for everybody, for mature audiences.”

Cyberpunk RPG’s creator Mike Pondsmith is there, talking about it: “I love Bladerunner, I love that kind of future.” Yeah. That’s the stuff.

ORIGINAL STORY: The mystery sci-fi game from The Witcher devs CD Projekt Red is about to be announced over here. I’ll get more details up here as they arrive. All we have so far is the teaser image of a punk with techno-glasses and a gun (above) and the knowledge that it will be some kind of cyberpunkian thing.

Not a lot of information yet but the setting of their much anticipated new IP has been revealed. CYBERPUNK.

I don't know about you people but when the publisher that gave us the Witcher games starts talking about how much they like Blade Runner and wanting to create a hardcore RPG with mature content that is not for everyone. Well, they have my attention.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 December 2020 - 03:56 PM

#2 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

This will be awesome.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#3 User is offline   Nocturnal 

• Rabid fangirl

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Oh, I'll play any RPG with a customisable main character.
"Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat."

#4 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Awesomesauce!
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostNocturnal, on 30 May 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Oh, I'll play any RPG with a customisable main character.

I will second this, but only in general. XD

Also, ZOMG THIS GAME WILL BE GOD-TIER!!! (Yeah, CD Projekt RED has now got themselves a lot of those pesky 'expectation' things, hehe...)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

This is truly amazing news.

coupled with the Shadowrun Returns being Kickstarted, 2012 is a great year for RPGs.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

Fuck yeah!

I don't know the Pen and Paper game, but I like a cyberpunk setting, and I think these guys will do a damn good job of it :lol:
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

First teaser'ish trailer is up for the game.

This video told me absolutely nothing about the game but I want to play it even more now than ever.

EDIT: Apparently this message was posted somewhere on Reddit:

Do you like our latest creation? We certainly hope so! :D You may remember that we sometimes send you guys secret messages like this. it’s a great way for us to speak right to you instead of burying ourselves in corporate mumo-jump. So let’s begin!
First of all—have you noticed all the details in our teaser (yes, it’s a teaser, we’ll make a proper trailer in the future)? If you know the Cyberpunk setting, there are some things you can spot, like implants—look for the weapon hands and the real skin—corporate emblems that should look familiar, and more happy hunting!
You’re probably curious about the release date. It’s currently scheduled a way off, in 2015, but in truth, the delivery date is more like, “when it’s done.” We will release Cyberpunk to you when we’re convinced it is nothing but pure, refined, unadulterated awesome. we want it to be the most kick ass futuristic RPG ever—ok, maybe this sounds pretty bully, but it is our actual goal! You judge if we deliver it!
Ok—and you may wonder why we announced our game so early before the release. The reason is that we’re still building our dev team. So if you are a talented dude or dudette, willing to work in a really different company (gamers rule & boring corporate stuff drools!) on a super ambitious project, send us your application right now:careers@cdprojektred.com
So, you want to know what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 will be? The short description is that it will be a story-heavy, nonlinear, open world RPG based on teh well known Cyberpunk pen & paper system and setting. Building open world games is osmething we are mastering right now, and we believe that properly joining nonlinear gameplay with excellent story telling will bring a totally new quality. Hmm. We’ll tell some more about it soon!
And that’s not all that’s new. We are about to reveal our other project, which is much closer to being completed. And yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we’re talking about. ;-) On the 5th of February it will all be clear.
So stay tuned, as we will have quite a lot to show and tell you soon!
We are waiting for you on our newly created forum called Afterlife—what other name could we have chosen for it? :p
CD Projekt RED Team

Sounds like we might be getting a Witcher 3 trailer on February 5th.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 10 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

#9 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

This looks promising. Glad its going to be open-world in a cyberpunk setting. Hopefully we'll get a great contrast of old and new structures.

#10 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Looks like it'll be good, but 2015 seems so far away :D

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

It sounds so far away but that's because we're all stuck in the "it's only 2010" time bubble that wont burst before we enter 2020.

It's basically a 3 year development schedule, which I would call mandatory for development of new AAA IPs. Consider that games like Fallout 4, Titan, Destiny are also 1-2 years away.

In the mean time it sounds like we will be getting a new witcher game in 2013? 2014? Who knows!

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 14 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

Reported yesterday, sounds like the dev team is even bigger than on Witcher 3.

Basically if this game delivers, I'll be there day damned one.

If they could release next year that would be serendipitous with the title (2017 to 2077 is 60 years), but who knows if they could get it done by then.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

Project Red had something like $ 90 million in profits in 2015, mostly Witcher related one assumes. So they should have a lot of resources available to make Cyberpunk something special.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Considering that they claimed last year (or was it earlier this year?) that no work was being done on Cyberpunk yet, I won't expect Cyberpunk before 2018 earliest. And then knowing CD project they'll probably still delay it 6 months.

There's always the Gwent standalone to tie us over in the mean time.

I do wonder about Cyberpunk. What kind of game is it going to be? It's simple to just say "Open world RPG" but making that kind of game for a Sci-fi games won't be the same as The Witcher. Will it just be one giant cyberpunk city a la Blade Runner? Or will we be going between cities like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? They say there might be flying cars so that suggests a large degree of freedom, but then again, it might just mean quick travel.

#15 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

So, there's news (kinda, sorta)

1) CDPRED acquired a new studio in Wroclaw to help on this game

2) In a recent report to investors, the company president stated the game will be single-player focused (yay!), aiming for a massive experience a-la TW3; no microtransactions (yay!), "pay once and done" . Any potential Multiplayer can be looked @ after the single player experience is delivered.

However, it appears they still haven't really settled on what the game mechanics will be. The only thing he said that's kinda sorta definite is that there'll be multiple classes to choose from.

http://youtu.be/RTZimO5XQIw

All things considered, I'm mentally filing this for a 2021 release, and don't see much point in getting hyped right now, though obviously I expect it to be good once it's released.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

CD Project has a lot of money to burn but I still think it will be out before the end of 2019. If we guess it went into pre-production in 2015 it will be a 3-4 year development cycle. More than that and it starts to sound fiscally exorbitant.

One thing I found interesting about and earlier news piece was the talk about flying cars. Flying Cars are a staple of Cyberpunk but it raises some questions about Open World game design. Is it just one gigantic, very vertical megapolis or will the game world cover a very vast area? Either way it sure sounds expensive.

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 25 March 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

CD Project has a lot of money to burn but I still think it will be out before the end of 2019. If we guess it went into pre-production in 2015 it will be a 3-4 year development cycle. More than that and it starts to sound fiscally exorbitant.

One thing I found interesting about and earlier news piece was the talk about flying cars. Flying Cars are a staple of Cyberpunk but it raises some questions about Open World game design. Is it just one gigantic, very vertical megapolis or will the game world cover a very vast area? Either way it sure sounds expensive.

Not familiar with the source material, but my impression is that the PnP is centered around a single metropolis (Night City), just like Shadowrun was centered on Seattle before they expanded it to other locations.

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:49 AM

https://kotaku.com/r...berp-1826781290

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

http://www.pcgamer.c...packed-e3-demo/

And here's CDPRED rep talking about the game to GameSpot:

Suffice it to say, the press is getting hyped.

(I refuse to get hyped. I know this will be a Day 1 insta-buy off GOG, so excessive hype is unnecessary).

#20 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

Oh crap, it's an FPS? Not that I'm complaining, I'm just a bit shit at FPS games :p

Can't actually remember the last one I played, although I'm going to have a crack at the Dishonored games soon-ish.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users