• You cannot reply to this topic

Tolkien all Middle-Earth books running discussion

#21 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 June 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

men are not properly from Arda, and therefore they go "somewhere" when they die...presumably "home", whereas the elves live forever on Arda because it is their "home" and even the idea of going to reside in Mandos' Hall is not really death.

Ah yes, that's what it was. Again, a very Christian idea (if not necessarily exclusive to Christianity) and one of those tenets that many Christians (myself included) tend to take for granted without really thinking about. And then I read Tolkien's spin on it, written so beautifully, and it's quite powerful, illuminating and moving.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 04 June 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

And then I read Tolkien's spin on it, written so beautifully, and it's quite powerful, illuminating and moving.

It is indeed all of those things. :tongue:
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Resurrecting old thread...because I'm re-reading (and re-listening to the podcasts by Tolkien Professor and Co.)...and the first thing I'm immediately impressed by is how knowing who all the Valar, the Elves and basic cast of characters from my first read...how much richer it's making the second read. You can almost seat yourself more firmly in the world upon a re-read.

Anyways, just finished re-reading the Ainulindalë....moving onto the Valaquenta next.

:p

Gods, I love this book!

EDIT: Saw this on Tumblr, and laughed my tail off.

Attached File  Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 12.20.43 PM.png (27.66K)
Number of downloads: 5

Secondly, on Tumblr...Maedros is everyone fave Son of Fëanor to draw. There are like a bajillion pieces of art devoted to him (I'll admit his part of the tale is one of my faves) Oh, and people love to 'ship Sauron and Morgoth apparently. Who knew?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hah, that's great. I tried to explain the Tumblr joke to the lady, but she's never read The Silmarillion so the hilarity of it was lost on her.

I'm trying to decide which Lord of the Rings hardcover edition I want to buy. There's some damn good artwork on several of them, not to mention a very appealing 50th anniversary edition. Right now I just have the mass market paperbacks from when Fellowship of the Ring first came out; as a result, pictures from the movie are plastered on the cover which make them very visually unappealing on my bookshelf (not hating on the actors, they just don't make good book covers).
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostDefiance, on 16 May 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Hah, that's great. I tried to explain the Tumblr joke to the lady, but she's never read The Silmarillion so the hilarity of it was lost on her.

I'm trying to decide which Lord of the Rings hardcover edition I want to buy. There's some damn good artwork on several of them, not to mention a very appealing 50th anniversary edition. Right now I just have the mass market paperbacks from when Fellowship of the Ring first came out; as a result, pictures from the movie are plastered on the cover which make them very visually unappealing on my bookshelf (not hating on the actors, they just don't make good book covers).

The mid-sized trade paperbacks are going out of print, but they (I find) have the lovliest and most matching covers. You can get THE SILMARILLION, THE HOBBIT, UNFINISHED TALES, THE LORD OF THE RINGS (each of the 3), THE PERILOUS REALMS, and CHILDREN OF HURIN in the same format. They are the ones I have.

They are the Harper Collins ones:

They looka, lika dis.

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Damn, those look great. I would prefer to have hardcovers, but the artwork on those is nice enough to make me seriously reconsider.

EDIT: Can you give me the ISBN on one of those books? Trying to find specific editions of these books is a pain in the ass given how many different editions have gone in and out of print over the years.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 16 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

~Steven Erikson

#27 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

Just purchased The Children of Hurin and an all-in-one copy of The Lord of the Rings. I'm going to start with LotR since I haven't read them in a decade or so, then check out Children. Really excited for the former given how much I enjoyed the short rendition of the tale in The Silmarillion, which I read last year.

Also, has anyone here read The Annotated Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion? Are either of them worth purchasing?
~Steven Erikson

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

I have the Harper Collins 1991 edition with the illustrations by Alan Lee.
Its fucking awesome.
just saying

#29 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

These need to be linked here for people to see. These are so awesome. What this is is a guy named Mark who does this site called Mark Reads, and in 2011-2012, having never before read the books or seen the movies or, really, knowing anything about them, Mark read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and did chapter-by-chapter reactions and oh my goodness guys, it is glorious:

Mark Reads The Hobbit, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Two Towers, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Return of the King, Chapter 1
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#30 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Finished The Children of Húrin. I knew the tale from The Silmarillion, but this just compounded upon how depressing and tragic it was. Seeing Túrin undone by his own pride was hard to read. The last scene has become one of my favorite book endings.

Now, on to The Lord of the Rings.
~Steven Erikson

#31 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 May 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

These need to be linked here for people to see. These are so awesome. What this is is a guy named Mark who does this site called Mark Reads, and in 2011-2012, having never before read the books or seen the movies or, really, knowing anything about them, Mark read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and did chapter-by-chapter reactions and oh my goodness guys, it is glorious:

Mark Reads The Hobbit, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Two Towers, Chapter 1
Mark Reads The Return of the King, Chapter 1

I started reading these. They're funny, but he's a little high-strung for my taste. It's hard to read the posts without picturing the blogger as a foul-mouthed little girl curled up in a fetal position, alternately weeping and/or squealing-in-delight.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#32 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thread-surrection to post a cool Tolkien link. Makes me long for a Silmarillion film, even after those too-long, too-padded-with-filler Hobbit movies.

The Most Metal Deaths in Middle-earth, Ranked

Attached File  TOAST_JLongo_JRRTolkienMetalDeaths-HEADER_1500x878px-1024x599.jpg (50.91K)
Number of downloads: 0
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#33 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

The mid-sized trade paperbacks are going out of print, but they (I find) have the lovliest and most matching covers. You can get THE SILMARILLION, THE HOBBIT, UNFINISHED TALES, THE LORD OF THE RINGS (each of the 3), THE PERILOUS REALMS, and CHILDREN OF HURIN in the same format. They are the ones I have.

They looka, lika dis.

Posted Image

Those are the ones I have, and I have a Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion.

I read them all roughly once a year, Sil possibly more. However much I will always love Malazan, these were the first books I fell in love with. Sil in particular is beautiful in its tragedy.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#34 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

this thread has made me wanna buy some nice versions of the books my paperbacks have gotten very tatty however I'm torn between these two
https://wordery.com/...n-9780007525546
https://wordery.com/...n-9780618517657

which one looks better one has better cover art but the other looks sleek as hell
my poor wallet will have a hard time recovering after this realised both links were the same oops

This post has been edited by The Hust Legion: 05 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

#35 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

I still regret the day I had a 50% off coupon at Half Price Books and passed up this bad boy (which had a $100 price tag):

Posted Image

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

They looka, lika dis.

Posted Image

Those are the ones I have, and I have a Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion.

I read them all roughly once a year, Sil possibly more. However much I will always love Malazan, these were the first books I fell in love with. Sil in particular is beautiful in its tragedy.

Yeah, out of all the Tolkien books that I've re-read, I think THE SILMARILLION gets the most wear and tear as it stands...and I only read it for the first time like two years ago, but I've now been through it 3 times.

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 04 July 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

this thread has made me wanna buy some nice versions of the books my paperbacks have gotten very tatty however I'm torn between these two
https://wordery.com/...n-9780007525546
https://wordery.com/...n-9780618517657

which one looks better one has better cover art but the other looks sleek as hell
my poor wallet will have a hard time recovering after this realised both links were the same oops

The sleek one (which I assume is the first one with the clear/transleucent slipcover and blue spine) gets my vote. It's goddamned gorgeous and will look incredible on a shelf. Also points against the second one for the gold leafed edges...I've always found that to be tacky-looking.

@Salt-Man - That's a lovely hardback. Is it worth $50 with the half off? I dunno.

#37 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

got those the anniversary editions of silmarillion and lotr and PHEW they are two of the finest books I've ever had the pleasure of buying. DAAAAAYUM. they look/feel awesome.

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

Another threadsurrection...for those hardcore Tolkienites like me, and RTB and Salt-Man, ect.

So the new Hardcover Alan Lee Illustrated Complete Books/Set are out in the UK now, and in N.America in August.

They are tricksy too, those Harper Collins folks...they knew that if they just released the set (which is THE HOBBIT, and LOTR together in a slipcase) with the Alan Lee covers as they are on the existing trade paperbacks they might not snag me/us...but they are different art, the bastards! LOL

And yeah, it's gorgeous...so I'm contemplating just a hardback HOBBIT, since I have the 2014 single volume hardcover slipcase LOTR (60th Anniversary), so I really only NEED the HOBBIT in a nice edition to stand alongside that...but man these are NICE. Like nice enough to make me seriously consider the whole set. Because I apparently need THREE copies of all these books...LOL.

Anyways, just a heads up.

Attached File  LOTRNewSet.jpg (122.94K)
Number of downloads: 4

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 June 2020 - 04:38 PM

#39 User is offline   Dinivan 

• Captain

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

And right after I admitted I need a great lord of the rings edition for my shelves. It looks gorgeous, but does note fit together with my HOBBIT...

I think I will look around if the red one that Salt Man posted unthread is still available...

#40 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 June 2020 - 04:35 PM, said:

Another threadsurrection...for those hardcore Tolkienites like me, and RTB and Salt-Man, ect.

So the new Hardcover Alan Lee Illustrated Complete Books/Set are out in the UK now, and in N.America in August.

They are tricksy too, those Harper Collins folks...they knew that if they just released the set (which is THE HOBBIT, and LOTR together in a slipcase) with the Alan Lee covers as they are on the existing trade paperbacks they might not snag me/us...but they are different art, the bastards! LOL

And yeah, it's gorgeous...so I'm contemplating just a hardback HOBBIT, since I have the 2014 single volume hardcover slipcase LOTR (60th Anniversary), so I really only NEED the HOBBIT in a nice edition to stand alongside that...but man these are NICE. Like nice enough to make me seriously consider the whole set. Because I apparently need THREE copies of all these books...LOL.

Anyways, just a heads up.

Attachment LOTRNewSet.jpg

Oooof! Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users