• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Legend of Korra

#161 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yeah I highly disagree with you on the Bolin romances, one was highly abusive and creepy (from Elsa toward Bolin), and the other Bolin was being stupidly opaque about his unwanted advances. I don't know about you but even as a teenager I understood when A) a relationship was bad for me and B) when my 'moves' were unwanted. You also seem to forget fascism was in fact a revolutionary middle-class movement to oust the traditional authoritarian aristocrat from there power base , not a reactionary conservative movement we see it as today. I think the parallels are pretty clear. It's nationalistic movement to unite the 'nation', the ideals of this nation embodied in a charismatic leader, and the threat of violence to all who oppose them. If she was an analogue to a Russian revolutionary she'd either be a communist or a person who advocates democratizes or at least so form of republic (from the October and February revolutions respectfully) and I think it's pretty clear she's neither of those things, she's to nationalistic and power hunger to be so. Thus Bolin is a analogue to those famous browncoats who decided it was a good idea to burn down the beer hall in Munich. It's is parallel to the Third Reich, or Mussolini's Italy, or Franco's Spain in it's politics and social movements. As for Kuvira being grey or black I direct you to this image:

Posted Image

That's from the first episode. You could argue that they simply reused characters model but I think the guys and girls on the show are smarter than that. If those two people are the same then Kuvira isn't just declining to help feed soon-to-be starving people, she's using people she captured and then with the threat of death made them vow themselves to her to actively deny soon-to-be-starving people food so they have no other choice but join her. That shit is black as tar.

Other than that I really can't refute your last point. I just think Mako is more a man of order than he is analytically realist and you'd think Bolin learned his lesson last time with Varrick who is also attached to Kuvira. It's seems to be a character regression of Bolin exploring already explored territory.

#162 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Fair enough. I just think that equating Kuvira and her sects' behavior to Nazi Germany is high-handed at this point. She bears much more resemblance to Franco, if you wish to use one of your examples. That I can see. But I still think I see more Bolshevik in her than anything else.

As for romances. Sorry, I'm not buying that any teenager, (you, me, or anyone) has any clue as to bad relationships until it's well past time to realize it. Hell, my mother was in a bad relationship after my dad and her split for years before anyone could convince her otherwise and she was an adult. As a teen I was in a few dating relationships that weren't good for me, and I was way too obtuse to see it. On the outside looking in we can see Bolin was in a bad relationship first, and now he's in one that he doens't have any idea how to handle properly...he (being on the inside) has no clue. And that's realistic to me. Bolin has never been painted as sharp enough to get a pass on seeing what's in front of him and judging it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#163 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Wow, I was not expecting that ending. Well done on the creators part!

Spoiler

A solid, solid series! I will now miss it immensely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#164 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

I never saw it coming and dont care enough to give it a second once over.

I feel bad for Mako though! Thats gonna sting

#165 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Just finished. So good. Hope they have a blast.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users