• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#11841 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

That's enough you lot. Rein it in.

One fucking comment and you go the dogpile. Get over it.

It's not like we haven't been saying worse shit about Trump for years, at probably a 999:1 ratio. And before someone says "But BK mocked him for his disability, we only mocked Trump for his douchebaggery" please consider the recent proliferation of so-called mental conditions that have come out to explain shitty behaviour.

I'm not going to comment on this again and I trust the rest of us not to as well.

Thank you, let's just bask in the glow now of a great day. Loki came back! ;) :thumbsup:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11842 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:10 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 07 November 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

Loki came back! ;) :thumbsup:

Say hi to her for me since I have quarantined myself in this thread Posted Image

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11843 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

What Tsundoku said.

In other news the news commentary/analysis on the election bothers me. I keep hearing people say it's a repudiation of Trump, that it's a new chapter, bla. bla. as though the electoral isn't split so closely down the middle that out of millions a few thousand votes decide who loses and wins.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 07 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

#11844 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

View PostTerez, on 07 November 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 07 November 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

Loki came back! ;) :thumbsup:

Say hi to her for me since I have quarantined myself in this thread Posted Image

Done. Nice use of quarantine btw, very hip, very now. :)

Apologies for the interruption, we now return you to your regular programming.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 November 2020 - 08:17 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11845 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:31 PM

I'm really hoping that any interview with Trump (eliminating Fox News of course) going forward will drop in subtle hints of losing or being a loser. I would love to see that sickly orange spray tan show a tint of red.

#11846 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 07 November 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

Congratulations President Elect Stutter. You earned it man.

I have a speech impediment. My brother has a speech impediment. My son has a speech impediment.

Politics aside, the fact that Biden has made a career for himself in a field that is both heavily focused on public speaking and open to public scrutiny is more of an accomplishment, and takes more courage, persistence, and resilience, than anything Trump has ever done.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#11847 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:19 PM

View PostLoki, on 07 November 2020 - 09:51 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 07 November 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

Congratulations President Elect Stutter. You earned it man.

I have a speech impediment. My brother has a speech impediment. My son has a speech impediment.

Politics aside, the fact that Biden has made a career for himself in a field that is both heavily focused on public speaking and open to public scrutiny is more of an accomplishment, and takes more courage, persistence, and resilience, than anything Trump has ever done.

That’s because Trump is a coward.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11848 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:05 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 07 November 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

It's very strange as a non-US citizen to feel so relieved about this. I hope it signifies the world going a little more back to normal soon. Being lead by people who can speak in full sentences, stuff like that. I am really hoping that the ripples bring positive things in my own country. Still not entirely hopeful though. If the last 4 years have taught me anything it is how to be politically shell shocked.

And politically left out. After Brexit, Tories, Farage, and Trump.. it's no wonder we're so relieved by this. This is the first time in 4 years something has happened that I could actually get behind that has gone how I wanted it to.

It's not my country but I'm so happy for those in the US that have had to put up with that man as president, and had to watch as he stripped the entire role and establishment of dignity or wisdom and turned it all into a global joke.

Just hearing Biden speak like a human being in an important position is such a huge relief.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 November 2020 - 12:10 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11849 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:57 AM

A pretty fair summary of the problems this result have created for the conservatives. Not enough of a beating to get rid of Trump and his rusted-on supporters unfortunately.
I hope he's wrong but I fear he may be right. Fingers crossed, President Joe and the USA.

https://www.news.com...5e9b5d6cab0df05

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 08 November 2020 - 12:58 AM

#11850 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 08 November 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Wow Kamala what a way to go. These people are trying to celebrate you making history. Let them! Don’t get a tude and raise your fucking hands to silence them.

My goodness.

A man telling a woman to shut up. How original.

How about when you win an election campaign you can decide on how to address your voters and in the meantime let those who actually have voters address them however they like?

This post has been edited by Loki: 08 November 2020 - 01:38 AM

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#11851 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:23 AM

Story time:

I couldn't say my name right for years growing up. Couldn't make the sound of an "r" right. Came out as a "w". Introduced myself the wrong damn way. Had to take speech therapy for it. Got it under control... but it still pops out occasionally and it just kind of happens. I was often made fun of because of it, because of course I couldn't tell I wasn't saying it wrong. But the soft "r" is a pretty common annunciation and so it happened all the time.

It's so jarring when it comes out today and strikes such a discordant note it immediately brings back that though. Was just having a chat with my brother about it on my drive home. Amusing now, of course. Petrifying then. But hey, I got free chocolate in those lessons during school so at least I had that going for me.

As for the election: it only goes to further show how much work is yet to be done, but it will be done, and the slow, inexorable grind of perfecting a horribly imperfect union will continue. With both giant leaps forward and tremendous set backs. It is the nature of America.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 08 November 2020 - 02:24 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11852 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:11 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 08 November 2020 - 02:23 AM, said:

Story time:

I couldn't say my name right for years growing up. Couldn't make the sound of an "r" right. Came out as a "w". Introduced myself the wrong damn way. Had to take speech therapy for it. Got it under control... but it still pops out occasionally and it just kind of happens. I was often made fun of because of it, because of course I couldn't tell I wasn't saying it wrong. But the soft "r" is a pretty common annunciation and so it happened all the time.

It's so jarring when it comes out today and strikes such a discordant note it immediately brings back that though. Was just having a chat with my brother about it on my drive home. Amusing now, of course. Petrifying then. But hey, I got free chocolate in those lessons during school so at least I had that going for me.

As for the election: it only goes to further show how much work is yet to be done, but it will be done, and the slow, inexorable grind of perfecting a horribly imperfect union will continue. With both giant leaps forward and tremendous set backs. It is the nature of America.

I had a similar speech issue growing up. I had both the soft r and a lisp. With both S and R sounds in my first, middle and last names, I butchered things something fierce. I don't remember being teased much about it though, other than by my older brother, and haven't had an issue with it since speech therapy in grade four or so.

On topic, very glad to see the Biden win, though I would have liked it to be more decisive, and especially to have seen the Democrats take the Senate. Somewhat surprised by the number of people who still voted for Trump. Hopefully the Biden win in Georgia can translate to wins in the January run offs.

#11853 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:42 AM

MODGOD NOTICE OF FOUR POSTS DELETED.
YOU KNOW WHICH AND YOU KNOW WHY.
WE'RE NOT GOING TO DO THAT HERE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11854 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

As I always miss the fun!

#11855 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

Apparently people want Ivanka or don jr to run in 2024? I need to speak to these people. I’m just genuinely curious what they feel Trump did for them that they are so excited.

Also horrifying thought, trump can still run again in 2024?

#11856 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:49 PM

View PostCause, on 08 November 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

Apparently people want Ivanka or don jr to run in 2024? I need to speak to these people. I'm just genuinely curious what they feel Trump did for them that they are so excited.

Also horrifying thought, trump can still run again in 2024?

Hard time doing that from outside the US. If he stays he gets prosecuted (at least at the state level) and probably goes to prison (and dies there).

Wait a second... actually, people have run for president... from prison.

'LaRouche became the second person in U.S. history (after Eugene Debs) to run for president from a prison cell.'

https://en.wikipedia...0prison%20cell.

Cursory search suggests it's not explicitly forbidden by the constitution, so he could become president while still in state prison. Hopefully it would be a bit of an impediment to getting elected though....

https://politics.sta...son-while-elect

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

#11857 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

To appeal to Trump's ego and to lessen his potential of really doing a lot of harm in the next 2+ months, I would be dripping the honey in his ear that he can run again in 2024, and that no other president has ever done that and he would stand above Obama and any other president in that regard - four year term - ousted - four year term. Although I think in our history of presidents, this might have happened, but that doesn't matter to Trump.

#11858 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Grover Cleveland is the only one who did it.

PS - the only one who did it and won. Teddy Roosevelt is another who tried and lost.

This post has been edited by Terez: 08 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11859 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:13 PM

View PostTerez, on 08 November 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

Grover Cleveland is the only one who did it.

PS - the only one who did it and won. Teddy Roosevelt is another who tried and lost.

And Roosevelt ran as a third party candidate---'The Bull Moose Party'. I'm sure Trump (or his people) could come up with a more ridiculous name than that....

'What Trump promised [in 2016] was authoritarian nationalism plus economic populism. It's a recipe that in other countries has proven strikingly popular. In 2019, Poland's xenophobic and homophobic Law and Justice party won a dominant election victory in large measure because of its immensely popular payouts to Polish families, which, according to the World Bank, dramatically reduced child poverty. (Law and Justice's popularity has fallen since then, as many Poles have revolted against its draconian efforts to outlaw abortion.) In Hungary, Viktor Orbán has launched a New Deal-style public works program that gives hundreds of thousands of Hungarians government jobs. In Brazil, another Trump ally, Jair Bolsonaro, has boosted his approval ratings—particularly with poor Brazilians—by buffering them during the pandemic with government checks. Obviously, these autocrats also use repression and propaganda to buttress their rule. But even commentators who acknowledge their authoritarianism admit that their economic policies enjoy substantial support.

By contrast, Trump has—in spite of his campaign promises—embraced a fiercely anti-populist economic agenda. A Gallup poll taken the month he was inaugurated found that Americans considered infrastructure his most important campaign promise. But a former Trump official told The Washington Post that the White House never seriously considered making infrastructure its top agenda item because "Paul Ryan and these guys had waited 30 years for this once-in-a-lifetime chance to cut taxes. They were not going to let that go." In 2017, after Ryan and Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell shepherded a tax cut through Congress, Trump signed it into law even though, according to the recent book Let Them Eat Tweets by political scientists Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson, it constituted the second-least popular piece of major legislation of the last twenty-five years. When the Trump White House did finally propose an infrastructure bill, congressional Republicans reportedly balked at both its price tag and the prospect that it would increase the deficit. So the idea was shelved.'

https://www.nybooks....how-trump-lost/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 November 2020 - 05:13 PM

#11860 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic