• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#11401 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:11 PM

'Under Ohio law, election officials are supposed to mail a notice to any voter whose ballot is rejected, giving them a chance to correct an error, but Mangeni said he never received a notification. His name did, however, go into a spreadsheet at the Ohio secretary of state's office, which is how the ACLU found it. Mangeni agreed to become a plaintiff in a suit challenging Ohio's signature-matching law.

[...] 97 percent of rejected signatures are likely to be authentic—or, for every invalid ballot, 32 valid ones are thrown out.

Even in normal election cycles, signature-matching requirements result in many ballots being rejected. Hundreds of thousands of such ballots were disqualified this way in 2016—almost all, presumably, cast by voters who had done everything right. Rejections disproportionately hit certain demographic groups, including elderly voters, young voters, and voters of color, that are expected to heavily favor Vice President Joe Biden this fall. As voting by mail surges across the country, many elections, including the presidential race, could hinge on a process that one expert recently described to me as "witchcraft."

[...] How that is done, like the rest of the American election system, varies wildly from state to state and even from county to county. Some jurisdictions use the signature on a voter-registration form or a ballot request or a driver's license. A software program might make the first cut, or humans might conduct the whole process. Examiners might have a single autograph with which to compare, or dozens.

"When you pay attention to this stuff, you start realizing how important things like the signature pad at the DMV is for election administration," Nathaniel Persily, a law professor at Stanford University, says. "Absentee voting is not what you think of when you're 16 and getting your first license."

The training and rules for officials are all over the place too. Florida law says that ballots can be rejected because of a mismatch, but a 2019 lawsuit filed by Democrats complained that the state offered no training or procedures for officials assessing signatures, "resulting in processes that are demonstrably standardless, inconsistent, and unreliable." Under a new law, the state must offer standardized training, and a two-hour training video is posted online. You can also watch an Oregon training session on YouTube. Colorado, which conducts its elections via mail, posts its signature-verification guide online.

Your mileage may vary, but these materials didn't give me a great deal of confidence in the system. It's not that election officials aren't trying—the presentations are earnest and straightforward—but they offer fairly minimal training to the people who will decide whether someone's vote for president gets to count. Professional forensic document examiners are typically trained for two to three years, but even the most robust training systems for election officials are more like eight hours. Some of the judgment calls depicted in the materials are obvious mismatches, but others are much fuzzier.'

https://www.theatlan...ections/616790/

For Pennsylvania, those of us who registered to vote by mail online will apparently have our signatures matched against the one on file at the DMV (at the time we first registered? most recently registered? is it the same as the one on our current license? I emailed two different addresses from the PA voting site, hopefully I'll get an answer...). From what I remember I either did the DMV signature on a paperback book in my lap or using an electronic pen that didn't write normally. Either way, the signature on my driver's license, despite mostly being an illegible scribble, differs noticeably from my usual illegible scribble, and after 15 minutes of practicing, I'm having a hard time reproducing it in a way that doesn't seem suspiciously deliberate.

I'm thinking I should just vote in person. I'm probably not high risk, especially with my P100 mask. I'll wear my bulletproof hoodie and bring a rifle-proof plate in my backpack.

But I didn't realize until today that anyone who requested a mail-in ballot who wants to vote in person will have to either bring that mail-in ballot (and security envelope) to be voided or do a provisional ballot instead (which may take longer, and so not be counted on election day...). Many people are probably going to go to the polls not realizing they were supposed to bring their absentee ballot... and even if they do, voiding the ballot is going to take more time. Overall, I'd expect much longer wait times on election day.

I wish I were rich enough to supply poll workers with gas masks, body armor, and large bulletproof shields. (The new knights?...) Though if I got one of those shields to walk around Philadelphia someone might rob me for it....

[Edit: perhaps worth mentioning that Cursive is the only class I ever got a D in. And I stopped taking it when I was 9 iirc.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 October 2020 - 10:22 PM

#11402 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:51 AM

The Republicans are geniuses. Just fucking geniuses.

These are the people who get onto HOAs and make everyone's lives miserable with their petty power plays, but do so far more sneakily on a much grander scheme.

I am in awe of how pervasive the rot of, not corruption because it is legit, just sheer foul, morally bankrupt actions have inundated a simple fucking election.

As long as there are rules and people who write them there'll be people who abuse them and use them to their own advantage. I get it. But still.

Fuck, I'm tired of seeing people not understand how vital every single local election is to the foundation of this republic. It is not one person one vote by any imaginable means. We have abdicated the responsibility of being a citizen and this is the result. A sham of an election in a sham of a republic in a sham of a nation.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 22 October 2020 - 12:53 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11403 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:20 AM

Saw this bumper sticker on the commute this evening. Do you guys know if there is some nefarious intent associated with this? To get people in the mindset the options (including Biden) are shit, and so don't vote or write in a name that doesn't matter?

Posted Image

Suggestion: Please don't do that dumb shit of writing in a name because Biden isn't your ideal choice. Do as I did in 2016, put a clothes pin on your nose and pull that lever for the best candidate to defeat Trump.

#11404 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:20 AM

It's an anti-trump sticker. Those, and similar yard signs etc., have been around for years. Circa well before it was known Biden would run.

#11405 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:48 PM

Over/Under bet: Trump brings up Hunter Biden and Emails within 5 minutes of debate start.

#11406 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:50 PM

Waaay under. I'd take the under on within 5 sentences.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11407 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

View PostCause, on 21 October 2020 - 07:50 PM, said:

Something tells me if they had footage that would corroborate his version they would have released it already. I suspect another interview like the one he had with Chris Wallace,where he made a fool of himself, but maybe even worse.

Though yes it would be wierd if they had their own cameras recording the interview but maybe they had an audio recorder?

'The footage released by Mr. Trump was filmed by White House staff members; CBS said that the president's aides had pledged to use the footage "for archival purposes only."'

https://www.nytimes....-debate-tonight

'[...] voters in New York and Colorado received letters from their landlords. Democratic candidates were sure to raise taxes, the landlords warned in the letters, and it would be a shame if those candidates won and the landlords had to, say, jack up rent.

While election security experts sound alarms about partisan "poll watchers" potentially intimidating voters, letters from landlords represent a grayer area of voter-influence. The letters received by renters this week never explicitly threaten to raise rents if they vote Democratic: they just heavily imply it could happen. It's a probably-legal tactic adding more pressure to a tinderbox of an election cycle.

"I would equate receiving this letter from my landlord to my boss sending me a letter telling me who to vote for," [...]

"TO ALL TENANTS," [...] "Please understand IF Joe Biden is elected as our next President, everything you do and have to pay for will change completely.

"Everything will be increased. Like paying ALOT (sic) more in taxes, utilities, gasoline, groceries, new permits, fees and regulations…everything! This also means YOUR RENT will be increased to cover these expenses. Most likely, rent would DOUBLE in price! IF the current President is re-elected, WE WILL NOT RAISE THE RENT FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS!"

The letter was signed by the owner of the trailer park'

https://www.thedaily...w-york?ref=home

'Trump's campaign representatives have been filming voters in Philadelphia dropping off their ballots, but the Pennsylvania attorney general warned the Republican surrogates to stop Thursday[...] The campaign has filed complaints with Philadelphia officials based on the videos, alleging fraud on the part of several voters who submitted two or three ballots[...] Pennsylvania law prohibits submitting a ballot for another person unless they are disabled or require other assistance'

https://www.thedaily...w-york?ref=home

They're trying to catch people dropping off other peoples' ballots (without a valid excuse---though 'require other assistance' seems potentially vague) and use that as an excuse for the legislature to throw out all drop box ballots.

Glad I've decided to vote in person.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 October 2020 - 01:32 AM

#11408 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:24 AM

'Trump to Black Debate Moderator [...] "I'm the Least Racist Person in this Room"

After explaining why he has called Black Lives Matter a "symbol of hate" and once again claiming he's done more for African-Americans than any other president since Abraham Lincoln during the final presidential debate Thursday night, President Donald Trump told moderator Kristen Welker, "I am the least racist person in this room."

"I can't even see the audience because it is so dark, but I don't care who is in the audience," Trump added. "I'm the least racist person in this room."'

https://theweek.com/...ist-person-room

'Catherine Rampell
@crampell
Santorum just said that no one called Trump a racist before he was president.
AYFKM. 50 years ago, Nixon's DOJ accused Trump of racism, for refusing to rent apartments to Black people.
Do you know how racist you have to be to get accused of racism by the *Nixon administration*?!'

'"No Vacancies" for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias

[...] The Justice Department undertook its own investigation and, in 1973, sued Trump Management for discriminating against blacks. Both Fred Trump, the company's chairman, and Donald Trump, its president, were named as defendants. It was front-page news, and for Donald, amounted to his debut in the public eye.'

https://www.nytimes....using-race.html

'Trump Declares That Windmills "Kill All the Birds"

Biden pointed out Trump's ridiculous claim that windmills "cause cancer," prompting the president to wax poetic about his vast knowledge of wind power.

"[...] I know more about wind than you do," Trump blared at Biden before turning to the windmills. "It's extremely expensive. Kills all the birds."'
https://www.thedaily...-birds?ref=home

'Trump's Sick Burn on Biden: Kim Jong Un Doesn't Like You or Obama'

https://www.thedaily...ke-you-or-obama

Borat Subsequent MovieFilm drops at midnight EST.

[Edit: Meant to post this in Political Comedy, but it's probably just as well here. Borat has been released a bit early. It's more serious than the previous film....]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 October 2020 - 03:51 AM

#11409 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11410 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:02 PM

Lindsey Graham is a High School drama club reject try hard. He's that guy, you know the one, where when they were doing the introductory exercises like "now be a rock, now be the wind", he made every one cringe with how over the top it took it. So much drama and more about the performance and theatrics than anything substantive or worthwhile. Dude is in a perpetual state of "deary me, bring me a mint julep and my hand fan, I do declare I'm overcome with the vapors."

Find the clips of his sad droopy dog pleas to raise more money in his contest with Jaime Harrison. They are HIGHLAIREEUS. Damn I hope Jaime Harrison takes that dub.

#11411 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

'No evidence for Trump claim that Joe Biden earned money in China, according to the Wall Street Journal

[...] The Journal's reporters reviewed corporate records, emails, and text messages.

Trump's claim, during Thursday's debate, came the same week it was revealed he himself had a secret bank account in China.'

https://www.business...n-china-2020-10

'Forbes Estimates China Paid Trump At Least $5.4 Million Since He Took Office, Via Mysterious Trump Tower Lease'

https://www.forbes.c...lU#5efcfc9ced11

#11412 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 October 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

'No evidence for Trump claim that Joe Biden earned money in China, according to the Wall Street Journal

[...] The Journal's reporters reviewed corporate records, emails, and text messages.

Trump's claim, during Thursday's debate, came the same week it was revealed he himself had a secret bank account in China.'

https://www.business...n-china-2020-10

'Forbes Estimates China Paid Trump At Least $5.4 Million Since He Took Office, Via Mysterious Trump Tower Lease'

https://www.forbes.c...lU#5efcfc9ced11

EVERYTHING he says about others is projection about himself. It's a narcissist trait to do this.

In part, it distracts from his own bad behaviours (keeping the narcissistic veneer intact). A narcissist's goal is to make others question their own reality and keep them off kilter. By accusing others of the very thing he is doing, the narcissist makes those others frantically try to defend their innocence. this allows further distraction from the bad thing they did.

This shit is textbook.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11413 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:51 AM

Another one:

'Ohio Police Say Group Plotted to Arrest Gov. Mike DeWine for "Tyranny"'

https://www.thedaily...f=home?ref=home

'A man standing directly behind President Trump during his rally at The Villages on Friday afternoon repeatedly made a hand sign associated with white supremacy. In June, a golf buggy parade for Trump in the Florida retirement community turned nasty [...] one participant[...] repeatedly shouted "white power" at Biden supporters. A clip of the showdown was tweeted by the president then later deleted'

https://www.thedaily...r-sign?ref=home

#11414 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:35 AM

'A boss who threatened to lay off his employees if Democrats take the White House in a recent letter has now apparently fired one worker for speaking up about it. [...] an employee at the military and aerospace contractor Daniels Manufacturing Corporation, told local news he thought the letter was "unfair" because employees should make their own political decisions.'

https://www.thedaily...n-wins?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 October 2020 - 03:37 AM

#11415 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:34 PM

'A report drafted by a team of independent doctors and experts found a “disturbing pattern” of questionable gynecological surgical procedures performed on female detainees at an ICE detention center in Georgia. [...] records from 19 women [...] “Our findings reveal a disturbing pattern that warrants further investigation: one in which many women either underwent abdominal surgery or were pressured to have a surgery that was not medically indicated and to which they did not consent,” [...] The report represents the most extensive examination of medical records among detainees at the facility to have emerged since a September whistleblower complaint'

https://www.vice.com...ery-doctors-say

#11416 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:13 AM

I watched a speech by Obama on YouTube a couple days ago. First of all what a contrast, both to Trump and Biden. He's ridiculously charming and sharp. But more interestingly this made the YouTube algorithm start feeding me old stories about Obama and compilations of best moments.

God damn. Now I'm reminded of the story about how jealous Trump is of Obama. Obama wasn't perfect but he's a hell of a statesman. A great man you believe in, who you listen to when he speaks, funny as hell and impressively relaxed in public.

I wonder what his administration could have done more if the Republicans didn't hate him so much.

#11417 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:57 AM

View PostAptorian, on 25 October 2020 - 04:13 AM, said:

I watched a speech by Obama on YouTube a couple days ago. First of all what a contrast, both to Trump and Biden. He's ridiculously charming and sharp. But more interestingly this made the YouTube algorithm start feeding me old stories about Obama and compilations of best moments.

God damn. Now I'm reminded of the story about how jealous Trump is of Obama. Obama wasn't perfect but he's a hell of a statesman. A great man you believe in, who you listen to when he speaks, funny as hell and impressively relaxed in public.

I wonder what his administration could have done more if the Republicans didn't hate him so much.

Let me edit that for you:

"I wonder what his administration could have done if the Democrats had acted like the Republicans do and took their supermajorities to the hilt on policy matters they've been advocating and running on for years."

There we go. Now I'm nice and depressed again. Thanks Apt!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11418 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

Seriously, go watch some Obama stuff and it will cheer you up. I watched the ceremony where Obama awards Biden the Medal of Freedom. It was probably the most heart warming endorsement you could need to vote for Biden.

Going down that YouTube hole felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the coverage of the 2020 election.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 25 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

#11419 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

Obama made this point - can you imagine what Fox News would be like if Obama did anything barely approaching what Trump has done and gotten away with over the past four years? They would all collectively shit themselves and then their devoted viewers would collectively shit themselves. We'd have a portion of the country in complete brown-town histrionics.

Also, question: Why is it there have been a string of violent plots to go after democratic governors, and kidnap Biden to ultimately execute him, but there haven't been one of these against Trump? Except crazy Canadian aunt who tried to mail Trump some ricin, she's Canadian though, so doesn't count. Why is that? *rubs-chin *arches-eyebrow I wonder why?

#11420 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Another week. 8 days. Anxiety intensifying.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users