• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10741 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:35 AM

Sure, no conflict of interest there. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10742 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:44 PM

It's utterly disgusting but completely unsurprising with this, the most corrupt president ever.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10743 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 July 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's utterly disgusting but completely unsurprising with this, the most corrupt president ever.

Shockingly enough, he's not in the top three most corrupt presidents (yet). Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson, Nixon, maybe Harding are all ahead of him still.

But he's firmly in the worst 10 for corruption and sinking further almost by the day.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10744 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

Always going the coward's route and making these kind of announcements at EOB on a Friday.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 11 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

#10745 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:16 AM

Trump looks weak wearing that mask. Looks weak and is not projecting an image of power and leadership. It's settled and my mind is made up, I'm not voting for him in November because he looks so weak wearing cloth over his nose and mouth.

#10746 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:16 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 July 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Trump looks weak wearing that mask. Looks weak and is not projecting an image of power and leadership. It's settled and my mind is made up, I'm not voting for him in November because he looks so weak wearing cloth over his nose and mouth.

Posted Image

Looks like there's nothing but blubber and/or sagging neck skin where his chin should be....

'Trump Wanted to Sell Puerto Rico After Hurricane Maria, His Former Homeland Security Head Says'

https://www.thedaily...d-says?ref=home

#10747 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:17 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 July 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

And SCOTUS just ruled against Trump in the Tax Returns thing for NYC State...so they get his taxes!

Also, surprisingly both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh voted against Trump, which surprises me as Kavanaugh is 100% his plant on the court...so maybe Kavanugh just feels untouchable by trump now?

Anyways, he can't re-appeal this right? This is it. NY State will get his taxes, right?

EDIT: I just read that it gets kicked back down to the lower courts...what the fuck is wrong with your legal system that the highest court in the land isn't the last word on this shit? Fucking hell.

3 day late response:

An appeal was made on a matter of law that the Supreme Court decided needed a new "test" for establishing whether or not some form of evidence can be included in the case. Thus, with a new "rule" being put into effect, the lower court must now APPLY that new rules to the substance of the evidence or whatever before it.

When the RULES of the game are being fought over, you take it to the final arbiter of the rules. Which has now been done. Now the new rules can be implemented at the based level and appealed based upon decisions made from there.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10748 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:02 PM

...and Kanye drops out. LOL

For those paying attention and know his medical condition, you could literally not have a better example of the swings between the manic state (I'm running for president of the USA!") and depressive state ("I'm no longer running for president") on the grand stage.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10749 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

Trump's interview that aired on national news yesterday. It's everywhere so should be easy to find.

So, his replies about the Confederate flag and BLM and where he stands regarding these. *RubsChin. Hmmm, I wonder what one could surmise from his responses. I'll have to give it strong consideration before I can form an opinion.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 15 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

#10750 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:19 PM

Pop a link in my good man

#10751 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:10 AM

#10752 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:04 AM

'"Disturbing" memo reveals Trump's USPS chief has slowed delivery amid calls to expand voting by mail

“The people in power are trying to keep voter turnout low"'

https://www.salon.co...DRyclKOWoNiTnpI

#10753 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

Republicans are leading the anti-mask charge for the regular citizens in certain states....but they are also too afraid to gather for their own convention because of the virus.

Like you can't make a better example of "We only really give a fuck about us, you all can burn and we actively would rather you did"

I sure hope you all take your country back in November from the South Park episode you're all currently living in.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10754 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

God damn it, that woman has to be one of the most pivotal people of the next 10-20 years.

#10755 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 July 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

God damn it, that woman has to be one of the most pivotal people of the next 10-20 years.

Should have retired during the Obama years.

#10756 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

'Portland has been invaded by federal agents—including unidentified, camouflage-clad officers who have emerged from unmarked minivans to arrest protesters. These officers have reportedly refused to say what agency they work for. But their supposed authority to police Oregon’s largest city and make arrests appears to rest on a June 26 executive order by President Donald Trump calling for the protection of statues, monuments, and federal property.

Black Lives Matter protests in Portland have continued this month, drawing attention from Trump, who falsely described the city as “totally out of control.” Trump also threatened this week to “take over” cities he claims are suffering from crime sprees. Agents from US Marshals Service, Federal Protective Service, Homeland Security Investigations, and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have been in Portland since early this month. But on July 14, protesters began to document instances in which armed agents wearing masks and military-style fatigues emerged from unmarked vehicles, detained protesters with no explanation, and drove away.

[...] “I am basically tossed into the van,” one protester, Mark Pettibone, told Oregon Public Broadcasting. “And I had my beanie pulled over my face so I couldn’t see and they held my hands over my head.”

Pettibone, who said he did nothing illegal and didn’t know why he was detained, recounted being taken to a building he later learned was Oregon’s federal courthouse, where he was Mirandized and searched. He said that after he declined to answer questions and asked for a lawyer, the interview ended and he was released after 90 minutes with no explanation or paperwork.'

https://www.motherjo...POMrXBl87xgVUg4

#10757 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:27 AM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 18 July 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

Congressman John Lewis died tonight from the exact same cancer Ginsberg battling.

He was a Titan of fighting everyone who ever treated anyone badly. Pictures of him have been hanging on my office walls since 2017.

He wasn't perfect (the race against Julien Bond to get his Congressional seat being a great example), but he fought so hard and through so much to help millions of people for 60+ years.

He showed up over and over. He brought the trouble as hard as he could.

#10758 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

Maybe now they will finally rename the Edmund Pettus bridge.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10759 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:50 AM

'Trump Plans to Expand Federal Invasion of American Cities

[...] Trump plans to assert new authority this week to dispatch federal law enforcement agents to American cities to quell "unrest," White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said Sunday on Fox News.

"Attorney General Barr is weighing in on that with [acting Homeland Security] Secretary Wolf, and you'll see something rolled out this week, as we start to go in and make sure that the communities—whether it's Chicago or Portland or Milwaukee or someplace across the heartland of the country—we need to make sure their communities are [start scare quotes] safe [end scare quotes---or not?]," Meadows said.

[...] Meadows suggested the Trump administration wants to broaden its legal justification to allow federal agencies to expand their presence in other locations. Notably he cited Chicago, where the issue drawing national attention is gun violence, not political unrest. Trump has previously threatened to "send in the Feds" if Chicago "doesn't fix the horrible 'carnage' going on." '

https://www.motherjo...Txuz8_6Wuj1t3kc

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 July 2020 - 03:50 AM

#10760 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

'Trump Is Deploying Unidentified ICE Agents to Arrest Protesters in Democratic-Run Cities

[...] The generalized increase of blunt force in response to nothing in particular is part of a wider ratcheting up of the government's response to sporadic protests lingering after weeks of powerful nationwide demonstrations. In addition, "[t]he Department of Homeland Security has authorized its personnel to collect information on protesters who threaten to damage or destroy public memorials and statues, regardless of whether they are on federal property, a significant expansion of authorities that have historically been used to protect landmarks from terrorist attacks," the Washington Post reports. "The new guidance was issued as department personnel have been dispatched to police and detain people protesting police violence, itself an untraditional role for a department set up to secure borders and transportation systems."'

https://slate.com/ne...nd-chicago.html

'Chad Wolf Has Turned Trump's Brutality Machine From the Border to Portland

[...] Wolf is perhaps the perfect person to lead this particular dystopian innovation of the Trump presidency, having previously authored an infamous memo advocating for a short-lived but horrific policy of "separating family units" to deter undocumented immigration. Wolf has graduated from advocating kidnapping children from their parents at the border to kidnapping grown adults in American streets.

[...] Multiple parts of the Bill of Rights bar unidentified federal agents from conducting secret abductions and tear-gassing peaceful protesting moms. While Wolf has attempted to use a bizarre and narrow legal interpretation to justify these clearly unlawful practices, he and his roving paramilitaries have already been sued by the ACLU as well as Oregon's attorney general.'

https://slate.com/ne...n-portland.html

'Portland Feds "Beaten Back" by 2,000 Protesters, Moms Group

An estimated crowd of 2,000 people participating in the protests in Portland, Oregon, "tore open the doors of a federal courthouse and then beat back the agents inside" in the early hours of Tuesday morning, a journalist on the scene reported on Twitter. Bellingcat writer Robert Evans posted multiple videos online that appeared to show federal agents shooting what are assumed to be non-lethal projectiles at protesters, including a parents group, Wall of Moms, out of "murder holes" in a wooden structure built around the courthouse to protect it. [...] Trump praised federal law enforcement agents on Monday, saying they were doing a "fantastic job" in Portland'

https://www.thedaily...groups?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users