• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8781 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

I'm impressed with Warren the most so far as well. I really doubt she can win the nomination, but I'm hoping she could maybe secure the VP where she can actually do some good policy work.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8782 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

I saw a tweet by her which I found hard to believe but by all accounts is true where she said "If we put a 2% tax on the wealthiest families in the country we can have universal pre-K, universal free college, knock back student loan debt for 95% of Americans and still have a trillion dollars left over."

I find that fascinating. 2% is nothing. I mean I'd like to see who would make the cut of "wealthiest families" and suchlike but people were commenting saying that she was a professor of economics and as such is quite qualified to say these things. It'll never happen in an ultra-capitalist Oligarchy (which, let's face it, the US is, despite it trying to talk about being a free and fair democracy...) but it's nice to dream!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8783 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

It would apply to households whose wealth is $50 million or higher, which is roughly the top 75,000 households (man this is a huge, rich country). Then billionaires would have an extra 1% surtax on the money they're hoarding over $1 billion. And itt being Warren, she actually has many of the details on her site, including minimum audit rates for the ultra rich, an "exit tax" for those abandoning their citizenship to avoid taxation, etc.: Link
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8784 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, she's awesome.

Also

Joeeeee Bideeeennnnn.

He's not my favorite, but he's safe and he'll probably secure the nomination.

#8785 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:45 AM

Biden has the rather extreme drawback of several public not-quite-assault situations where he sniffs women's hair or touches them inappropriately. I hope this spikes his campaign and he can do stuff like find a better senator in Alabama than Dough Jones. I did not mistype Dough.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8786 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:49 AM

View Postamphibian, on 24 April 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

Biden has the rather extreme drawback of several public not-quite-assault situations where he sniffs women's hair or touches them inappropriately. I hope this spikes his campaign and he can do stuff like find a better senator in Alabama than Dough Jones. I did not mistype Dough.

This guy?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Lm29Wc227iM

(Or is that Biden?)

#8787 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:32 AM

View Postworry, on 23 April 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

It would apply to households whose wealth is $50 million or higher, which is roughly the top 75,000 households (man this is a huge, rich country). Then billionaires would have an extra 1% surtax on the money they're hoarding over $1 billion. And itt being Warren, she actually has many of the details on her site, including minimum audit rates for the ultra rich, an "exit tax" for those abandoning their citizenship to avoid taxation, etc.: Link

Imagine what it would be like to have someone who understands economics and actually has the (metaphorical) balls to do something about it to help the country!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

Thank you, but I'm not running in 2020.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8789 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

Just read about these heartbeat bills. Why does the US hate women so much? Genuine question.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#8790 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 April 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

Just read about these heartbeat bills. Why does the US hate women so much? Genuine question.

What? You didn't know? It's TOTALLY not that they hate woman. Rather, they want to, like, protect women! It's totally a women's health issue!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8791 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

The first tangible changes of what is to come with the new high court judges that were recently installed. This will just be the tip of the iceberg. The USA is rolling back to 'better times', like the 1700's.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8792 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, Trumps SCOTUS picks are really going to bear terrible fruit. They're just going to rubber-stamp anything that benefits Republicans/big business/rich people/et al and to hell with the law, the Constitution etc.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I fear that I will be right.

You guys really, really need for the Senate to flip and a few ® SC justices to retire early or die.

Question: hey law dudes, can SC justices be fired?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8793 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 25 April 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yeah, Trumps SCOTUS picks are really going to bear terrible fruit. They're just going to rubber-stamp anything that benefits Republicans/big business/rich people/et al and to hell with the law, the Constitution etc.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I fear that I will be right.

You guys really, really need for the Senate to flip and a few ® SC justices to retire early or die.

SC Justices can be impeached, by the same organ (congress) and at the same rate (2/3rds vote yes) as other federal appointments. They would need to show those justices did something impeachable (like lie to congress at their confirmation hearing)

The more likely (I'm not sure how likely) route would be democrats taking the senate (wrote house, meant keeping house and taking the senate, fixed) and presidency in 2020, and increasing the size of the court. I'd also suggest that justices are appointed for Terms so that each 4 year presidential term gets to elect 1 or 2, but the SCOTUS term limits is low on my list of 'changes I want in my representative democracy'.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 25 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8794 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

From what I understand they can only be Impeached, unless they retire or die.

And as far as I understand it, it works just like impeaching a Presdient, which means you need 2/3 of the Senate to make it happen?

Also, did you guys hear that Trump has said that he would "challenge" impeachment in the Supreme Court.

Like what the everloving FUCK?

What good are your supposed Checks and Balances if the President can basically stack the court (as he's done) and challenge his own ousting with cronies?

Like fuck...can he even do that? Does the SCOTUS have a say in the Impeachment process?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8795 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 April 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

It's about making everyone who isn't a straight white male a second class citizen.

While there are true believers from politicians, most of it is pandering to their base of racist/religious.

Most religions in the US (minus the catholics) were for abortion and supported legalization. As the Conservatives continued to lose the racist vote, and the whole southern strategy happened, there was a 'moral majority' where a bunch of shitty preachers got together and decided they were going to convince their followers to vote for the 'correct' choice by using abortion as a wedge issue.

https://www.bostongl...LAnK/story.html

The funny thing is, there are a lot of very conservative, religious people of color who would probably vote heavily conservative, if only they weren't so fucking racist.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 25 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8796 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 April 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

From what I understand they can only be Impeached, unless they retire or die.

And as far as I understand it, it works just like impeaching a Presdient, which means you need 2/3 of the Senate to make it happen?

Also, did you guys hear that Trump has said that he would "challenge" impeachment in the Supreme Court.

Like what the everloving FUCK?

What good are your supposed Checks and Balances if the President can basically stack the court (as he's done) and challenge his own ousting with cronies?

Like fuck...can he even do that? Does the SCOTUS have a say in the Impeachment process?

Reading Wikipedia, nothing is defined by the constitution as to who oversees impeachement proceedings on non-presidential impeachements, so people assume the 'president of the senate' who is the US Vice President, would preside over the 'trial' in the senate.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Democrats are going to start any impeachement proceedings for anyone except Trump, unless trump is out of office and they are trying to clean up this whole shitty gas station toilet of a legacy he's leaving behind.

Oh I misread what you wrote - there is no 'challenge in the supreme court' of impeachement. Nothing would ever get that far. Ironically in a presidential impeachement, the Chief Justice oversees the 'trial' in congress.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 25 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

#8797 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

View PostObdigore, on 25 April 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Oh I misread what you wrote - there is no 'challenge in the supreme court' of impeachement. Nothing would ever get that far. Ironically in a presidential impeachement, the Chief Justice oversees the 'trial' in congress.

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8798 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

Well ladies, find your turtle neck sweaters to defend against unwanted neck nuzzling, and talk to your stylist about the best hair style to defend against unwanted hair sniffing, creepy old Joe Biden has made it official.

#8799 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

Or he could just grab them by the pussy?

Sole priority here should be selecting who can best defeat Trump. Joe can eat into his racist/anxiety riddled (lol) midwestern bloc.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8800 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 April 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Sole priority here should be selecting who can best defeat Trump.

A fucking men

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users