• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8341 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

That post isn't meant like to harangue you or anything, it's just that the narrative is so disheartening. White kids do awful thing to POC, nation sees it, nation does its damnedest to exonerate them. As the Concourse article argues: "Perhaps—probably—because what had happened was so undeniable, it was immediately denied."

This post has been edited by worry: 22 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8342 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

Isn't it just as predictable that people jump to conclusions and think the worst of white people wearing MAGA hats?

I'm not defending these dumb kids but considering the venue, they had just as much right to be there, if one assumed they were practicing their right to protest.

(I don't really think that, I think they were just being stupid teens, but still)

#8343 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Well, to me, wearing a MAGA hat now, after two years of the dontron and seeing what he is clearly all about, I jump to that conclusion without any guilty feeling

#8344 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

You don't have to jump to conclusions about white people wearing MAGA hats.

If you're not defending these kids, then why are you...defending them?

If you don't really think that, why are you bringing it up?

#8345 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Yup. MAGA hats are basically the Swastikas of this generation.

Aside from the people who are wearing Swastikas as well.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8346 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

There are a couple of absolutely spot on comments in the Concourse article:

"What you see here hinges on whether you believe that “Make America Great Again” is a dog whistle meant to unite racists, misogynists, and homophobes under one umbrella, or you’re delusional and don’t care about people who aren’t white men."

"It’s so weird that so many people independently decided that MAGA gear and Trump slogans were a great way to intimidate minorities. It couldn’t possibly that all of those people easily understood the messaging behind those things. I’ve been told that would be an unfair interpretation of the facts. So, clearly, they all came to that conclusion on their own. What an amazing coincidence."

and then this one NAILS it.

"White privilege is the media falling over itself to apologize when it thinks it misread a situation. If these were African-American kids, we never would’ve seen alternate video or explanations."
"We would have gotten details of the weed they snuck with them on the trip."

But yeah, the narrative that the teens in the Maga gear (and it IS gear, not just hats, check out their goddamned shirts) are somehow the victims in all this is bullshit. The long version of the video shows them out to be what they are.

And then you have to realize that these kids are not buying that MAGA gear themselves, it's their racist/sexist Trump-base parents who are teaching them this hatred and equipping them with hate-symbols like that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8347 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

I think even with the perspective of the complete video (which I didn't watch, don't need to), I'd still like to see that kid punched in the face. He's still standing there, face to face, with that mocking smirk on his face. In his privileged Catholic school upbringing, he probably has never had to adjust his behavior. A good ol' fist to the beak builds character and will nourish those problem solving skills that are necessary for the individual to apply 'attitude adjustment" to befit the social situations one may find, one's self in.

#8348 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

I dunno if I'm on the fantasizing about watching kids get punched in the nose train (yet!), but you're gonna get a whole lot more opportunity to see this one's smug face as the 'liberal' media make a hero of him.

#8349 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

Lots of things are good for him, I'm sure. Who else is it good for?

#8350 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:58 AM

Now for some good news:

#8351 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:39 AM

View Postworry, on 23 January 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

Now for some good news:

Sweeeeet
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8352 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 January 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

I think even with the perspective of the complete video (which I didn't watch, don't need to), I'd still like to see that kid punched in the face. He's still standing there, face to face, with that mocking smirk on his face. In his privileged Catholic school upbringing, he probably has never had to adjust his behavior. A good ol' fist to the beak builds character and will nourish those problem solving skills that are necessary for the individual to apply 'attitude adjustment" to befit the social situations one may find, one's self in.

Do you realize you're making the kinds of arguments and excuses for violence here that white supremacists use?

Remaining calm and smiling in the face of provocation shows understanding and intelligence. It's a pacifist tactic forcing the opponent to make the first move.

#8353 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:40 AM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 22 January 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

Good for him. Let him speak.

Yeah let the pretentious, spoiled, racist turd further the "wah rich white people are the real victims here narrative" after his parents paid for a PR firm to sort them out, can't see anything going badly there...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8354 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

I mean, who doesn't have a PR rep on speed dial these days?

#8355 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 23 January 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

I mean, who doesn't have a PR rep on speed dial these days?

People who don't need them.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8356 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 January 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 22 January 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

Good for him. Let him speak.

Yeah let the pretentious, spoiled, racist turd further the "wah rich white people are the real victims here narrative" after his parents paid for a PR firm to sort them out, can't see anything going badly there...

I'm glad you see what this group of kids and parents are doing.

There's video of the boys cat calling women and yelling about building the wall at the same time that took place prior to them getting into it with the Black Israelites and Nathan Phillips. These kids were cruising around making people wildly uncomfortable and angry.

People have drawn parallels to the 1960s when black people would try to eat at restaurants and white men would silently stand around them in intimidating fashion. It's happening all over again in a slightly different way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8357 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

There were no victims in the incident because there wasn't even an incident to speak of. It was a group of Black Hebrew Israelites taunting the kids (which they invite by wearing the MAGA hats) and the kids clapping back by chanting. Native Americans walked up to the kids to diffuse the situation, and Sandmann just stood there, seemingly to not escalate it. This was all a nonissue until the video went viral and the media ran with it, and there were no victims until after that. You can say "rich white people don't get a pass" and you can hate the system that raised them all you want. But I can't support this 16 year old individual taking the brunt of the hate and having to fear for his safety. I understand the anger everyone feels at today's political climate. But I think it's being harmfully misdirected here.

#8358 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Meanwhile, day 33 of the shutdown? Wow, never seen anything like it. It seems bizarre that this is even possible. Is there any other country (non-dictatorship) in the world where the entire federal machine can just be shut down over political infighting? It seems like an insane setup. What is the rationale for such a construction? I must confess that my knowledge of American politics is fairly superficial.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8359 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostGorefest, on 23 January 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

Meanwhile, day 33 of the shutdown? Wow, never seen anything like it. It seems bizarre that this is even possible. Is there any other country (non-dictatorship) in the world where the entire federal machine can just be shut down over political infighting? It seems like an insane setup. What is the rationale for such a construction? I must confess that my knowledge of American politics is fairly superficial.

It's very strange, and all because a Fox & Friends personality called Trump out on "caving" to the Democrats initial agreed-upon-by-him-and-the-GOP-plan...he can't be seen to be weak...because he knows he's fucking weak.

But yeah, every single Trump base voter or supporter who is amongst those who aren't working/getting paid...should be taking a LONG HARD look at themselves in the mirror right now as they eat their lack of just desserts.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8360 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:49 PM

For anyone else who wants to defend these troglodytes behaviour...here are some samples BEFORE the incident we've all seen....

and

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users