• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7961 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:26 PM

Has the Georgia election been called yet?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7962 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Nope. As far as I know there's been no big news update since Kemp resigning earlier.

On a personal note, the firm I work for got our first critical reply from a random MAGA worm -- and wouldn't you know it, it was a QAnon adherent spouting nonsense about the caravan.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7963 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

Oh I hadn't even seen that! I was more asking if anything had been finalised, what does Kemp resigning mean or is it unrelated to the election?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7964 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

It means if there's a recount (or a runoff election) he won't be presiding over it, but in terms of what already has happened it's basically an empty gesture and a means around a lawsuit to force him to recuse himself.

#7965 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:28 AM

It does start to reach truly scary levels when government officials are using doctored 'evidence' to discredit critical voices. That starts to reek of totalitarianism. Very, very scary stuff.

"But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought."

"It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to 20 grams a week. And only yesterday it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to 20 grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only 24 hours? Yes, they swallowed it."

"At this moment, for example, in 1984 (if it was 1984), Oceania was at war with Eurasia and in alliance with Eastasia. In no public or private utterance was it ever admitted that the three powers had at any time been grouped along different lines. Actually, as Winston well knew, it was only four years since Oceania had been at war with Eastasia and in alliance with Eurasia. But that was merely a piece of furtive knowledge, which he happened to possess because his memory was not satisfactorily under control. Officially the change of partners had never happened. Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia. The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible."
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7966 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:36 AM

Sinema is a Manchin-style barely-Dem, but still....

#7967 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:01 AM

More generally:

Looks like the blue wave was real, just more of a medium than a large, and there was also a reddish wave to boost the GOP/elderly's more general midterm advantage.

#7968 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostGorefest, on 08 November 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

https://www.theguard...y-minority-ruleUgh, some voting systems really need to get updated with the times. Same for the UK system. I'm sure it worked fine 50-100 years ago, but times change.

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

A couple of very good articles there, and here's a surprisingly decent one (for a Murdoch site) summarising gerrymanders for us Aussies, who got rid of the last of those things in the Queensland state elections roughly back in the late 80s.

https://www.news.com...bcdbee502b2fef8
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7969 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

Rick Scott is suing two counties in FL because they're recounting votes after more were found (apparently one box was "left behind" in a school in Broward FFS....left....behind. Thousands of votes)...and he and Trump are both railing about "liberals trying to steal the election"....

I want to stand in front of both of them and scream "if you won the state, then let the recount happen and you'll be vindicated" ....suing and or pissing and moaning about "stolen" election on twitter only makes it look like you're panicking that the recount will prove you maybe lost.

Because if FL and GA both recount to the Dem side...the senate isn't as secure as it seemed now is it? And they can't let THAT happen.

Oh, and Rubio tweeted out links about voter suppression in FL....stupidly not reading them to realize they are about REPUBLICAN voter suppression of Democratic votes. LOL, what a fucking wad.

And the count in FL for Senate is THAT CLOSE that a few thousand votes (in largely Dem counties) MATTER:

Attached File  FLMATTERS.png (27.76K)
Number of downloads: 0

Broward county alone is 1.936 MILLION people. A 15,000 vote difference could EASILY flip to Nelson.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7970 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

They obviously forgot the rule that you're only meant to count the White votes, sheesh what is this anateur hour? Quick, get Trump to do something moronic so the media focuses on that and not the blatant tearing down of actual democracy...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7971 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 November 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

They obviously forgot the rule that you're only meant to count the White votes, sheesh what is this anateur hour? Quick, get Trump to do something moronic so the media focuses on that and not the blatant tearing down of actual democracy...

What blows my mind is that Rick Scott is complaining about the slow counting of votes/fraud by people on his own side that he had a hand in appointing.

taken from WaPo: "The FL GOP installed the current Elections supervisor, Rick Scott's own GOP-dominated state supervisors are overseeing a GOP appointee's election process - and yet somehow its the Democrats fault that votes are not counted faster, that ballots are not delivered to the Post Office on time, and other voting irregularities?"

There is not enough hypocrisy in the world...

Oh, and he did the Republican thing of "Accuse the other side of something they themselves are guilty of...offered no proof or source...and then bailed out without taking questions"

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7972 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 November 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Rick Scott is suing two counties in FL because they're recounting votes after more were found (apparently one box was "left behind" in a school in Broward FFS....left....behind. Thousands of votes)...and he and Trump are both railing about "liberals trying to steal the election"....

I want to stand in front of both of them and scream "if you won the state, then let the recount happen and you'll be vindicated" ....suing and or pissing and moaning about "stolen" election on twitter only makes it look like you're panicking that the recount will prove you maybe lost.

Because if FL and GA both recount to the Dem side...the senate isn't as secure as it seemed now is it? And they can't let THAT happen.

Oh, and Rubio tweeted out links about voter suppression in FL....stupidly not reading them to realize they are about REPUBLICAN voter suppression of Democratic votes. LOL, what a fucking wad.

And the count in FL for Senate is THAT CLOSE that a few thousand votes (in largely Dem counties) MATTER:

Attachment FLMATTERS.png

Broward county alone is 1.936 MILLION people. A 15,000 vote difference could EASILY flip to Nelson.

Apparently 25,000 ballots in Broward County voted for a governor but did NOT mark any vote in the senate box - a discrepancy not matched elsewhere in the state. Broward County's ballot papers put the senate voting box in a less prominent place compared to ballots in other counties.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#7973 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

#7974 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Can someone explain how the Republicans elected a dead guy? Not sure how that one works...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7975 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:53 PM

Its a highly Republican area, so they urged the voters to elect the Republican even though he's dead. Then the commissioners from his district are allowed to select a replacement.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7976 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

Ari Melber just destroyed Lindsey Graham.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7977 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:03 AM

Really solid article on how to fix the southern problem and the GOP in general. (I would tackle the Medical monopoly problem which hit us at what 1.44 trillion.. this year alone too)

http://www.economicp...ine-is.html?m=1

It addresses the cartels and how to adequately manage/route immigration sensibly. Be warned it’s from a member of the Republican Party !! Those guys I know . I know. /shivers

I like articles when they talk actual money and how you know that goes as a note versus let’s accomplish all this stuff and foot someone with the bill. Drives me bonkers as that’s the taxpayer, or middle class.

Super solid article on moving foward in America.

Very relevant and hope y’all read and consider. Here’s to drinking for the “everything “ bubble amiright ??

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 November 2018 - 01:03 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7978 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

I’m 0% shocked to open an article from Nico and the word “doomsday” is in the title.

Ok, I’ll read it now.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 10 November 2018 - 01:26 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7979 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:13 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 November 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

Ari Melber just destroyed Lindsey Graham.

Did Melber actually physically destroy Graham or did he just write some snarky comment on Twitter?

#7980 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

Heh, apparently CNN sent Acosta to Paris at the press conference. I want an image of Trump's face if Acosta gets up and starts asking him questions.

https://thehill.com/...ver-trump-visit

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

35 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users