• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7041 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

The thing is, polls routinely show ~50-60% of Americans generally support "Medicare for all" right now. And it's only getting stronger. Republicans obviously favor it the least, but even among Independents it rates higher than 50%. The inertia on the issue is largely going to be political and electoral in nature, rather than popularity.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7042 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

View PostGarak, on 29 June 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

I'm missing context here or something, why is Universal Healthcare so hated?

Universal healthcare is hated because its a fucking pipe dream. People. Stretched. thin. day to day. The average American lives paycheck to paycheck.

The cognintive dissonance is unbelievable. The left wants to Jam it down a bunch a folks who don’t understand how it works. The Right are always trying to figure how to just afford. The left calls them names. Then stastically speaking more wealth now exists on the modern left then the right. Really the elite keep winning cause this is what they want. The fact that <posters here !!> aren’t cognitive enough to understand the dilemma for the modern working man is baffling.

it wont matter though we are watching live...the crash of all this. But not everyone has caught up. Prepare accordingly...

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 30 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7043 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

Sidebar: The next tax plan before midterms is another 20% cut to the corps . /wink wink nudge nudge
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7044 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:23 AM

Good point. Everyone here’s dumb but you. Particularly the folks living in countries where this pipe dream has been a successful reliable no-brainer for decades.

#7045 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 30 June 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

View PostGarak, on 29 June 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

I'm missing context here or something, why is Universal Healthcare so hated?

Universal healthcare is hated because its a fucking pipe dream. People. Stretched. thin. day to day. The average American lives paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah, I guess it doesn’t work fine anywhere else in the world...oh wait.

Universal healthcare is not only feasible, it should be a basic goddamned right.

This whole illusion you’ve built yourself that it’s going to overtax everyone into oblivion, is bullshit. You’re one of the ONLY industrialized nations to not have it. That should tell you all you need to know.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7046 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

People struggle financially surely in part due to exorbitant health insurance costs and the fact some hospitals in America are run by the fucking insurance companies.

You know how much it cost my grandma to get a new plastic hip? Sweet fuck all.

You know how much it cost me?
Let's go down the route of I paid for it via tax. Ok my NICS contribution last year was like £200.

When I was on the card my stamp was like a tenner a week.

What does fully comp medical cost in the US, I'd say a fuck ton more than that.

You know WHY medical bills are so high? Insurance companies bribe hospitals to raise their fucking book prices. It's horrific how your system is so fucking messed up. Pretty much every doctor working in a privately/corporate run hospital is pissing acid all over their Hippocratic oath

#7047 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

http://youtu.be/CeDOQpfaUc8

#7048 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

To clarify when I was on the cards a few years ago and paying a tenner a week stamp I was earning a pretty good fucking wage.
I'm self employed now so how much I pay is dependant on my tax returns, and I've spent a lot on tools and stuff this year

#7049 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

Trump and friends: "You built your social welfare systems on the back of an American government that provided you with a defensive umbrella against the Soviets and funded your rebuild. Absent that, you would all be living underneath the Iron Curtain and waiting in line for food in Londodngrad; Parisgrad; etc., rather than receiving universal health-care."

Guaranteed response and that red meat would be ate up like the public were piranhas.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7050 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

1: Trump doesn't know 90% of those words.
2: Trump's base would eat it up, and nobody else would.
3: Trump isn't going to be president forever.

#7051 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:55 PM

I'll let future Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez say it in her own words:

#7052 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

View PostMacros, on 30 June 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

You know WHY medical bills are so high? Insurance companies bribe hospitals to raise their fucking book prices. It's horrific how your system is so fucking messed up. Pretty much every doctor working in a privately/corporate run hospital is pissing acid all over their Hippocratic oath

Actually, its worse than that. Insurance companies go to hospitals and say 'I have 70% of the people in your area, you need to give me 30% off or I'm going to send them all to a different hospital.' and those hospitals have no real choice but to say 'ok'. Most hospitals are not-for-profit, and so they are already running as cheap as they can.

And so, to deal with this, the hospitals raise their rates for everyone, so that the insurance companies, with their 30% discount, are now paying the rate they would have been before, and so anyone not-insured (or on medicare, because republicans want that to fail) are forced to pay a larger number.

Repeat across the country and you see just one reason why medical care in the US is so expensive.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7053 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

View PostObdigore, on 01 July 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 30 June 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

Actually, its worse than that. Insurance companies go to hospitals and say 'I have 70% of the people in your area, you need to give me 30% off or I'm going to send them all to a different hospital.' and those hospitals have no real choice but to say 'ok'. Most hospitals are not-for-profit, and so they are already running as cheap as they can.

And so, to deal with this, the hospitals raise their rates for everyone, so that the insurance companies, with their 30% discount, are now paying the rate they would have been before, and so anyone not-insured (or on medicare, because republicans want that to fail) are forced to pay a larger number.

Repeat across the country and you see just one reason why medical care in the US is so expensive.

This shit too...

https://www-m.cnn.co...oltz/index.html

Makes me sick.

( this girl I know has MS @65k a year drug costs, she is terrified that she will lose her job — the fucked up part due the way the system works these days is those “background” checks companies won’t hire her now. She won’t be eligible for a promotion internally. Impossible to prove. For some this may be common knowledge....I can’t wait until the media (if ever) reports on these Shenigans. Be careful what you report as a note—it might effect your future job selection...)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 01 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

#7054 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

And once again.

In most of the western world this shit is NOT a problem for people

#7055 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:29 AM

View PostMacros, on 01 July 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

And once again.

In most of the western world this shit is NOT a problem for people

Good article for you Macro https://www.truthdig...oming-collapse/
(Starting to like this guy :https://www.truthdig.com/articles/america-the-failed-state/)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 02 July 2018 - 04:38 AM

#7056 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

It's an interesting read Nico, it backs up what I've been saying for some time, American politics is totally fucked in the head and you all need to march on Washington and turf every single crooked fucker in the river.

However, it doesn't, in any shape or form, address the fact that universal healthcare works in most other westernised nations. Only in the 'land of the free' is it so damned expensive

#7057 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

That's because land of the free is an absolute fallacy sold to people like Nico to make them comply when they get fleeced by the government and corporations.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7058 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 July 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

That's because land of the free is an absolute fallacy sold to people like Nico to make them comply when they get fleeced by the government and corporations.

For white people in America, corporations have done much more evil to them than any other entity in human history. For non-white people, it's a toss up because the various forms of government have in the cumulative attempted to exclude them, jail them, and take money from them in a manner similar to what the corporations have done to everyone.

The fleecing mostly happens due to rich people convincing the politicians that Policy X is a great idea, when it's not and the only people that get better from it are the rich.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7059 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Scott Pruitt (finally) out at EPA. One of the most insanely (used literally) corrupt dudes in this whole corrupt admin.

(That's about his weird scandals, not his resignation)

#7060 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

He's top three for corrupt Cabinet level officials ever. The other two are the Teapot Dome crooks who took five plus million each.

There was a political appointee by Andrew Jackson for eight years who was in charge of the Port of NYC. He stole the equivalent of $2.8+ billion over eight years, left the country, paid back a fraction of it to get a non prosecution deal, and lived it big. Samuel Swartwout was the name.

That guy and his friends stole something like 0.5% of the entire federal government revenue every year they were in office.

Pruitt is nearly in this kind of company.

That being said, Reagan's administration was more corrupt top to bottom and more competent than Trump's so far.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

62 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 62 guests, 0 anonymous users