• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5561 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

View PostSilencer, on 09 August 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 August 2017 - 02:38 AM, said:

North Korea ain't going to do shit. This has been, and always will be, about negotiating position.

They'd cease to exist if they ever fired an actual missile.

True, and we can hope that the rationale holds out. Especially given the US anti-ICBM system has a test success rate of like 51%...including all the times the practice missile wasn't destroyed or hit, but some new subsystem worked as intended. Without those it's less than 50% reliable. And it's never been tested taking on multiple targets.

But at least NK would be a nuclear wasteland if they ever tried. I'm pretty sure they're not that stupid. Mostly.

The issue here is that everyone is looking at NK like a madman is in charge there.

IMO, he's not a madman, he will never fire a nuclear missile from NK territory without knowing he's already done for.

The problem is whether he'll sell nukes and which state-sponsored terrorist group buys it from them. Just imagine people like ISIS having that kind of weaponry.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5562 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

I think the problem here is very much the poor bastards who are suffering under this tyrants rule.
sure NK will be obliterated if they launch, but what about the millions of innocents who would die to achieve that?

#5563 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 09 August 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 09 August 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

North Korea ain't going to do shit. This has been, and always will be, about negotiating position.

True, and we can hope that the rationale holds out. Especially given the US anti-ICBM system has a test success rate of like 51%...including all the times the practice missile wasn't destroyed or hit, but some new subsystem worked as intended. Without those it's less than 50% reliable. And it's never been tested taking on multiple targets.

But at least NK would be a nuclear wasteland if they ever tried. I'm pretty sure they're not that stupid. Mostly.

The issue here is that everyone is looking at NK like a madman is in charge there.

IMO, he's not a madman, he will never fire a nuclear missile from NK territory without knowing he's already done for.

The problem is whether he'll sell nukes and which state-sponsored terrorist group buys it from them. Just imagine people like ISIS having that kind of weaponry.

Valid point. That's why non-proliferation has always been the goal, but seems as though that has already been thrown to the curb here.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5564 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

^^This 100%.

Their family (the ruling family in NK) has only ever been about holding power amongst their own people. That's it.

They know..beyond a shadow of a doubt that if they launched ANYTHING at anyone in particular, that they would be bombed back to the stone age. They won't risk that.

they just want to hold onto the power they have.

It's all posturing and bluster.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5565 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 August 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think the problem here is very much the poor bastards who are suffering under this tyrants rule.
sure NK will be obliterated if they launch, but what about the millions of innocents who would die to achieve that?

Kim Jon Un doesn't care about them. They are slave labor/serfs.

I care about the people in Seoul and the slaves in North Korea, but that integration would be far, far harder than West/East Germany.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5566 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

Yes, so with that in mind would a drone strike taking out the top echelon of bastardy not be the better option than 'turning NK into a nuclear waste land'? (Paraphrasing I think) as was suggested the outcome would be.

#5567 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Of course, I don't think anyone would disagree. Frankly, they are in la la land over there because the Kim family has brainwashed them for decades into being ready to die for them.

#5568 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

Don't think anyone's posted this, it's from yesterday.
For your daily dose of lolsob
*Men's Frights Activist*

#5569 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostKing Lear, on 09 August 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

Don't think anyone's posted this, it's from yesterday.
For your daily dose of lolsob

I read that yesterday. He's either on the spectrum or a legitimate narcissist.

#5570 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

The FBI raided Manafort's home this AM. (fixed for accuracy)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5571 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

The FBI raided Manafort's home this AM.

Again?
*Men's Frights Activist*

#5572 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostKing Lear, on 09 August 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Again?

Oh lol, that was confusing. Looks like the raid was back in July but it's just come out.

I was looking at that thinking 'didn't I just read that they raided last month???'.

This post has been edited by King Lear: 09 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

*Men's Frights Activist*

#5573 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostKing Lear, on 09 August 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PostKing Lear, on 09 August 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Again?

Oh lol, that was confusing. Looks like the raid was back in July but it's just come out.

I was looking at that thinking 'didn't I just read that they raided last month???'.

Oh, and I didn't notice it either as I said this AM. Apologies.

As far as I understand this means a few things.

1. That this is a criminal investigation, and not a civil one.
2. That a federal judge decided that there was probable cause of criminal conduct would be found at Manafort's home.
3. That they didn't feel that the subpoena's they'd issue would get them all the things they need/want, and they obviously felt that Manafort would hide shit.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

#5574 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostDown South, on 08 August 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

I hope diplomacy succeeds. Each passing day I doubt it will just that little bit more from the day before. Something is going to happen with N Korea and many people are going to die.

How are those emails of Clinton looking? Hope you're feeling proud of the guy you voted for because you focused on the lies and smear campaign of the evil Republicans.

Look where it's got us...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 09 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5575 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

I hope diplomacy succeeds. Each passing day I doubt it will just that little bit more from the day before. Something is going to happen with N Korea and many people are going to die.

How are those emails of Clinton looking? Hope you're feeling proud of the guy you voted for because you focused on the lies and smear campaign of the evil Republicans.

Very unbecoming of you, Tiste.

I realize in the aftermath of the election a lot of anger was directed at Trump's followers and in connection with that people who voted Republican, but a voter is not to be held to account for a politicians actions. It's a representative form of democracy, not a direct form of decision making.

Are all of America's democrats to blame for all the Civilian deaths at the hand of Obama's drone bombings?

If you're angry with Trump, write him a letter. Don't throw that kind of shit in the face of another forum member.

#5576 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Trump was entirely truthful with what he was and is Apt. He is a narcissistic asshat clown and if you voted for him you get what you get. Now, blaming him for foreign actions is wrong, but blaming his reactions to that is not wrong at all. He's a fucking pompous shit show that has no business being in the office and is endangering the world.

Fire and fury! This isn't fucking Game of Thrones house mottoes.

#5577 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Tiste I hope you feel bad you are making me agree with Apt and you know how much I hat to agree with apt. Those type of comments aren't helpful nor constructive.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#5578 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 August 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Trump was entirely truthful with what he was and is Apt. He is a narcissistic asshat clown and if you voted for him you get what you get. Now, blaming him for foreign actions is wrong, but blaming his reactions to that is not wrong at all. He's a fucking pompous shit show that has no business being in the office and is endangering the world.

Fire and fury! This isn't fucking Game of Thrones house mottoes.

Which is all well and good but again, that's not something that should be laid at BK's feed. As though he is somehow meant to carry the water of a fake politican.

Trump was never truthful about what he was or what he would become. Trump didn't even know what he would become because the man believes his own lies. Trump sold the notion of a greater America through a different kind of leadership. Whether you believed that or not or whether you felt you had a better choice is a different discussion.

I hope that the educated people on this board are aware that people vote for left or right for a host of different reasons, that might have nothing at all to do with the candidate on the podium. I won't pretend to know what BK voted or why he did it, but that's his own choice and it's his right.

People on this board should know better than to look at the world in black and white, red and blue or them and us. Politics isn't meant to just be a couple of trenches with a no-man's land in between.

#5579 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

I don't blame BK for voting Trump for his beliefs, I simply disagree with them. And, I disagree with everything else he says. You get what you pay for, and guess what? They paid for Trump.

You own what you vote for. That is ALSO democracy.

#5580 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Never truthful? I think Trump promised to Make America Great Again by hearkening back to the 1950s, with particular emphasis on the traditional nuclear family. And in his funny little way, Trump is keeping that promise: we're all gonna be nuclear families, by golly.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users