• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5401 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

worry, on 26 June 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Luckily the admin has a solution: http://www.cnbc.com/...n-get-jobs.html

So simple. So brilliant. Just get jobs! (Presumably, in addition to the jobs people already have? And I'm guessing these jobs are coming from all the wonderful jobs that Trump is creating? You know, the ones that are still getting shipped overseas despite his "promises" from the companies in question? Yeah. Cool. Those jobs. >.>)

I do so love that they seem to think health insurance being available "above the poverty line" is somehow a bad thing. Come join the rest of the civilized world, America! :(

(Also, am having flashbacks to the politician here in Australia who had a great solution to people being unable to afford houses - step 1! Get a job that pays in excess of $150k per year [or something equally stupid]. Yup, sounds great. Glad you've committed to bringing the average wage in Australia up from ~$60k per year to $150k. Oh, wait, you're not making that commitment? Well, shit.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5402 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

Silencer, on 27 June 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

(Also, am having flashbacks to the politician here in Australia who had a great solution to people being unable to afford houses - step 1! Get a job that pays in excess of $150k per year [or something equally stupid]. Yup, sounds great. Glad you've committed to bringing the average wage in Australia up from ~$60k per year to $150k. Oh, wait, you're not making that commitment? Well, shit.)

You're forgetting (or deliberately missing) the part where he said to get help from your (wealthy) parents.

It was right up there with Gina "The Hutt" Reinhart giving totally unasked-for and unwanted advice about how to do well in this country. Step 1: have a father who was really, really rich and had mining exploration leases for vast swathes of land just before the resources boom. Why didn't I think of that? It's so easy! *smacks self upside head*
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5403 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Tsundoku, on 27 June 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

Silencer, on 27 June 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

You're forgetting (or deliberately missing) the part where he said to get help from your (wealthy) parents.

It was right up there with Gina "The Hutt" Reinhart giving totally unasked-for and unwanted advice about how to do well in this country. Step 1: have a father who was really, really rich and had mining exploration leases for vast swathes of land just before the resources boom. Why didn't I think of that? It's so easy! *smacks self upside head*

Oh, of course, how could I be so silly! Never forget to have wealthy parents - that's like step 0!

....seriously though, what the fuck, politicians? :(

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5404 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Romney had that same idea when it came to college loans. Ask your parents! It's like duh, how did you even get into college without thinking of such a simple solution?

Anyway, aside from the fact that millions of people who need the Medicaid expansion ARE employed, even millions of people who get their insurance through their employer will lose it.
http://thehill.com/p...-under-gop-plan

Also people aged 64 (retirement age in US is 65) with a decent income will be paying well over 1/3 of that income on insurance:
Posted Image

Makes me wonder how anyone with a chronic condition, like someone who has to take meds regularly for stability or pain relief, is gonna make it. My guess is they simply won't make it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5405 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Don't be silly, Worry. They can just buy their pain relief from independent pharmeceutical contractors on the street at 2 AM. Then hopefully later on they can be arrested for possession of drugs and be incarcerated in a for profit jail. That way the industrial prison complex can fund the law makers next political campaign. It's trickle down economics!

#5406 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

That's why I'm investing all my money in fentanyl pharma companies, private prisons, and corporate franchise-based funeral homes. It's the pipeline method.

#5407 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Damn, but I love this article:

http://www.theonion....-out-bett-36361

Truly, democracy is the worst way of running things. Except for all the others.

And this website:

http://www.daedalustrust.com/

mentioned in this Atlantic article about how with great power comes less and less empathy. Among other things:

https://www.theatlan...-damage/528711/

Might be a clue. I guess it's sort of "sciencing" what we always knew. How power corrupts:

http://www.daedalust...m/about-hubris/

Have fun comparing famous leaders with the list. I think Trump ticks all boxes. But he is far from the only one. How to minimise it eh? Swiss-style democracy?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5408 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:04 PM

From the president of the United States of America.
Posted Image

I'll say it again, so it sinks in. From the president of the United States of America,

Oh, and how is Melania Trump's cause coming along? You know, something about her concern about cyber bullying and working on solutions to diminish it.

#5409 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Malankazooie, on 30 June 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

From the president of the United States of America.
Posted Image

I'll say it again, so it sinks in. From the president of the United States of America,

Oh, and how is Melania Trump's cause coming along? You know, something about her concern about cyber bullying and working on solutions to diminish it.

Nah, that's not cyber bullying, that's just him hitting back 10 times as hard whenever someone "attacks" him. Because, you know, that's the responsible, mature adult thing to do. The Presidential thing to do.

God, I miss having a role model in the White House. :)

Shinrei said:

#5410 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

You'll pardon my language, but holy fucking shit...This is the National Review, an american right wing media outlet, yes? THE National Review?

He needs them the way a junkie needs his junk.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#5411 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I lol'd.

“I always tell the president, ‘You don’t need them,’” says Sean Hannity, the self-abasing monkey-butler of the Trump regime. The president, Hannity says, can reach more Americans via Twitter than he could through the conventional media. That isn’t true, of course: Only about one in five Americans uses Twitter. Hannity might be forgiven for not knowing this, a consequence of his much more general habit of not knowing things.

#5412 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Welp, another one. We are truly living in bizzaro world.

President Trump Tweets Wrestling Video of Himself Attacking 'CNN'

And what an effective use of the American tax payer's dollars. Tasking some schmuck (probably his son in law) on your staff with enough rudimentary video editing sw knowledge to alter old WWF wrestling footage.

#5413 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

The video was created by an r/The_Donald poster called HanAssholeSolo (not joking). Also DJT RTed it from @POTUS so it's gonna be officially archived.

It'd be nice if we had a different president, but since we have this one, I'm fine with him posting this stuff instead of like international transgressions. Let's hope that in the war between Donald Trump and CNN, both sides are destroyed.

#5414 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

Next video will be a 'the apprentice' clip where President Trump will FIRE various media outlets with a stern pointy finger.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5415 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

The same dude made another lovely tribute to CNN not too long ago: https://twitter.com/...619803080986626

#5416 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

Reddit is in a frenzy this morning. New Jersey apparently closing beaches and other public places because of some kind of budget crisis or something, and Chris Christie was caught sitting on the beach, that was closed to the public, with his family:

Posted Image

It's hard to believe a politician is actually this dumb.

#5417 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

Malankazooie, on 02 July 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

Welp, another one. We are truly living in bizzaro world.

President Trump Tweets Wrestling Video of Himself Attacking 'CNN'

And what an effective use of the American tax payer's dollars. Tasking some schmuck (probably his son in law) on your staff with enough rudimentary video editing sw knowledge to alter old WWF wrestling footage.

The best part is that just the other day, one of his cronies was saying how he'd never encouraged violence against anyone. I swear, Trump is deliberately contradicted what his representatives say, now. Like, I was pretty sure he was doing that before, but this is just ridiculous.

Shinrei said:

#5418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have a sketchy feeling all this "Mueller is friend with Democrats" crapola is the Trump Administration and his cronies basically setting the stage to try to call whatever Mueller's results are (if they are bad, and show bad things) "fake news" and "Leftist lies"....and his entire voter base will totally believe it.

At which point, I think I'll just stop reading about your country guys. It's getting to be such a circus that I have trouble stomaching it from day to day. And I only have to read about it... I can't imagine you lot living it.

The people covering for Trump's idiocy are more than complicit in his shit-flinging than he even is at this point. Every Republican who hand-waves the crazy shit he does and says...is 100% complicit, corrupt, and despicable. Enablers, the lot of them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5419 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

And this is a new low. Trump supporters (who want MAGA apparently)....don't understand what they are seeing when they see the Declaration of Independence. I mean....come on. These people are a frigging joke.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5420 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

QuickTidal, on 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Eh...

Posted Image
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

121 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 121 guests, 0 anonymous users