• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5321 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

A few things that bother me.

What the hell is a "nothing burger" and why have so many Trumpkins glommed onto that phrase? Whoever invented that needs to be punched. It's a stupid phrase just designed to shut down people with opposing viewpoints...instead of being....oh you know, intelligent conversation.

There is a friend of mine on FB who often comments on Trump articles, so I see them in my feed...note: she comments from a liberal POV, not one supporting Trump...and what's astonishing to me are the Trump supporters who comment about "fake news"...and when presented with video evidence of the very thing they call fake news (Trump making fun of a disabled person, for exmaple) they spin it into a way that makes them think he didn't do anything wrong and therefore it's still fake news....and I sit there agog that these people exist. Like they are literally being presented with actual proof of Trumps behaviour...and a perfect rebuttal of their initial crazy, ill-informed comment...and they look at that proof and say it MUST be lies.

I'm....I got nothing...this is a fucking circus at this point.

And the slow, definitive erosion of the whole "checks and balances" things that I see occurring...upsets me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5322 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Lately I've noticed them to begin to use the term Deep State as straw man they can blame all the Trump governments short comings on. Didn't pass any legislation yet? It's that damn, Deep State. Stories of abuse of power? Lies from the Deep State, etc.

#5323 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Lately I've noticed them to begin to use the term Deep State as straw man they can blame all the Trump governments short comings on. Didn't pass any legislation yet? It's that damn, Deep State. Stories of abuse of power? Lies from the Deep State, etc.

Isn't that an offshoot of the whole "Trump is new at this" nonsense that Ryan is trying to peddle?

I think Deep State originates from his stupid lawyer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5324 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 June 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

View PostSeduce Goose, on 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Isn't that an offshoot of the whole "Trump is new at this" nonsense that Ryan is trying to peddle?

I think Deep State originates from his stupid lawyer.

It's a pretty tangled web, it's hard to keep track of how the lies are connected.

#5325 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

Deep State is a long held conspiracy theory about some "true government" that runs things from the shadows. You know, all the parts of the government that people either don't understand or even just the background workings of the government that aren't directly elected (things that keep certain people in power, for example, are a result of the "Deep State"). It's not new. It doesn't surprise me that Trump supporters are citing it, however, given the anti-government slant the entire right-wing of American politics has these days.

The same is true of 'Fake News'. Sure, Trump made the phrase a thing, but it's really just an extension of the anti-government sentiment, with an added dose of anti-intellectualism, fueled by the whole echo-chamber thing that social media has become. It's no different than the old "all mainstream media (MSM) is liberal propaganda!", or "all news is left-wing biased!" that has been going around for ages. Unlike Deep State, Trump does get credit for naming this one, but it's still a pre-existing conspiracy theory. (Not to say journalism has lost a lot of integrity, or that the various news channels, especially in America, have significant bias, but still. It's also noteworthy that the main people angry at the MSM and its "corruption" also seem to think Fox News is unbiased, so it goes to show how much the people using that line are actually talking about bias, rather than just complaining that people disagree with their pet -ism.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5326 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Also, does anyone think Sessions will save his own skin in front of the Senate...or will he tow the Trump line and go down with the eventual ship? I'll wager it's the latter, but I think now would be his out if he was going to flip, no?

#5327 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

Question is what Trump or other people connected to the administration has on Sessions? .

#5328 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 13 June 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Question is what Trump or other people connected to the administration has on Sessions? .

Do they have something on him? Or is he really just blindly loyal to Trump?

#5329 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

Well, where does the blind loyalty come from? Obviously you have to be slightly good at your job to reach the level of government Sessions has reached. Only when ever I see the man on screen, I get the impression the man is dumb as a door post. Sessions strikes me as the kind of yes-man that gets promoted because he's useful.

Which leads back to the question why would he be loyal to Trump? Because of the job he received? Or did he receive more than a job? And in turn, what would he stand to lose beyond his job if he went against Trump?

... Oh god, I am starting to sound like an r/donald user.

#5330 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Sessions is coming off like someone who knows nothing/see nothing/has ever heard anything. Doesn't recall anything.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#5331 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 13 June 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Well, where does the blind loyalty come from? Obviously you have to be slightly good at your job to reach the level of government Sessions has reached. Only when ever I see the man on screen, I get the impression the man is dumb as a door post. Sessions strikes me as the kind of yes-man that gets promoted because he's useful.

Which leads back to the question why would he be loyal to Trump? Because of the job he received? Or did he receive more than a job? And in turn, what would he stand to lose beyond his job if he went against Trump?

A scary version might be that Sessions is a true believer.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#5332 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

View PostVengeance, on 13 June 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

Sessions is coming off like someone who knows nothing/see nothing/has ever heard anything. Doesn't recall anything.

I have politicians in my country who cant even say for certain if they themselves exist! They are an amazing breed!

It always amazes me that feigning (or sometimes actually being) incompetent can somehow be a shield

#5333 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

I've got the hearing running in the background. Sessions is so full of shit.

Finally one of the people on the panel, Senator Martin Heinrich, is calling him on his bullshit.

#5334 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 13 June 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostSeduce Goose, on 13 June 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

A scary version might be that Sessions is a true believer.

I think Trump's cabinet meeting where he started by getting everyone to praise him and talk about how great he is points towards an answer... They were all tripping over themselves to tell how great he is. It was disgusting, yes, but it does show that people who want to stay at the top in this administration have to stroke the ego of the orange turd sandwich to do so...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5335 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

This Senator Cotton guy is practically giving Sessions a handjob from across the room. If he's not actually going to ask any direct questions at Sessions, what other point is there for him to be there other than felating Trump's administration?

#5336 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Yah Cotton is a slimeball for sure.

Anyway, not that I think this thing is unimportant, especially if it manages to get Sessions to perjure himself, but Dems spending all their attention on this instead of on healthcare is gonna bite us all in the butt. I wouldn't be surprised if the Senate's secret version of AHCA is just as bad as the House's.

I guess there's a chance Trump screws both parties though, with his trademark malice/incompetence cocktail? But I read this as just one more example of his indifference to governing.
Posted Image
https://apnews.com/b5383189b4dc4dea94890f13846c2639/AP-sources:-Trump-tells-senators-House-health-bill-'mean
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5337 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Someone exercised their second amendment rights and shot at a bunch of GOP congressman.

http://people.com/cr...mbers-baseball/

Reportedly he asked for their political affiliation before he opened fire.

He should have spend more time at the shooting range as he fired 5 shots and only hit 5 people.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#5338 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Sad truth: violence begets violence.

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5339 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

View PostVengeance, on 14 June 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Someone exercised their second amendment rights and shot at a bunch of GOP congressman.

http://people.com/cr...mbers-baseball/

Reportedly he asked for their political affiliation before he opened fire.

He should have spend more time at the shooting range as he fired 5 shots and only hit 5 people.

Fuck this dude. That's not right nor ever will be. I don't care who you shoot, murder is murder.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5340 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I mean, it doesn't get any more hilarious than Trump himself being TOTALLY responsible for the investigations against him by things he said, to which he freaks out and claims are a witch-hunt....no you fucking numpty, you said some shit, and now you're being investigated as a result. You caused ALL of this. You don't get to complain about things you are directly responsible for.

https://www.washingt...m=.6c236a0d9fb1

LMAO

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

88 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 88 guests, 0 anonymous users