• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4881 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostApt, on 17 February 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Just saw this poll on Reddit, trying to sow further disassociation with mainstream media:

https://action.donal...ability-survey/

My research methods professor would have a seizure if he saw that survey.

It's not like every single one of those questions is a leading question, no siree, not at all.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4882 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

It isn't actually a survey it is a verification and entrenchment documentation for his supporters.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4883 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

Take the Next Step

Thank you for taking the Mainstream Media Accountability Survey.

Your input will play a critical role in helping us find ways to cut through the noise and deliver our message straight to the voter.

But now President Trump is asking you to go the extra mile and make a contribution to help defend our movement from the outrageous attacks from the media coming our way.

Contribute now to help us fight back against the media’s attacks and deceptions.

Choose donation amount:$35 $75 $100 $250 $500 $1,000 $2,500

Is this sort of thing allowed?!
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#4884 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostMessremb, on 17 February 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Take the Next Step

Thank you for taking the Mainstream Media Accountability Survey.

Your input will play a critical role in helping us find ways to cut through the noise and deliver our message straight to the voter.

But now President Trump is asking you to go the extra mile and make a contribution to help defend our movement from the outrageous attacks from the media coming our way.

Contribute now to help us fight back against the media's attacks and deceptions.

Choose donation amount:$35 $75 $100 $250 $500 $1,000 $2,500

Is this sort of thing allowed?!

As he announced his candidacy for 2020 pretty much they day he was inaugurated, yes. He can hold campaign rallies as long as they follow campaign protocol.

Is it normal? NO. He doesn't know how to govern. He knows how to campaign, and that's about it.

He's doing this for two reasons:

1. He cannot deal with how unpopular he is, so he is going to build himself up by being with his loyal followers.
2. It shows his Republican colleagues how popular he is with the base and they follow or perish.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4885 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 17 February 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

1. He cannot deal with how unpopular he is, so he is going to build himself up by being with his loyal followers.
2. It shows his Republican colleagues how popular he is with the base and they follow or perish.

^^This. The 2020 Rally on Saturday in FLA is utterly and completely this. He wants the unwashed masses who thronged to his campaign and supported him to do so again...to take his mind off the fact that SO many people hate him and find him completely unfit, and to try to keep the Republican congress in line as they begin to fall out of it.

He assumed that "winning" meant that everyone would shut their mouths and support the "winner"...and then there's the bit about being ABLE to govern...which he is incapable of doing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4886 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Tangential Canadian connection to this stuff...our version of Brietbart (Extreme Alt-right) news, The Rebel, held a rally in Toronto...and a muslim young woman and some VICE reporters attended. Here's her story.

https://broadly.vice...art-in-my-hijab

These Alt-right people are in my city. Ugh. And the speakers included some of the people trying to become leader of our Conservative party. Goddamn it, I can't stand that this stuff is rearing its ugly head up here. Here's some video...

http://torontoist.co...-bonkers-video/

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4887 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

This is a throwback to how presidential administrations used to assume office in the 1800s - slow/haphazard assumption of power, lots of cronyism, plenty of bragging, very little governance, and lots of "fuck the opposition, I won" talk. The Andrew Jackson imagery purposely brought to his office is proving prophetic.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 17 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4888 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 February 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Tangential Canadian connection to this stuff...our version of Brietbart (Extreme Alt-right) news, The Rebel, held a rally in Toronto...and a muslim young woman and some VICE reporters attended. Here's her story.

https://broadly.vice...art-in-my-hijab

These Alt-right people are in my city. Ugh. And the speakers included some of the people trying to become leader of our Conservative party. Goddamn it, I can't stand that this stuff is rearing its ugly head up here. Here's some video...

http://torontoist.co...-bonkers-video/

Ezra Levant is the scum of this earth (Not worse than Bannon though, but I don't have words for that guy).

It's really disconcerting the number of otherwise normal people I see in Vancouver who follow and believe his BS.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 18 February 2017 - 01:03 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4889 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

I just saw an ad for the Supreme Court Nominee. This is just so beyond the pale it's unbelievable. The politicization of the Judiciary has come main stream and common.

Also, while driving through Kentucky the other day back from a Career Fair I was at, I had the joy of hearing someone call Democrats: Bolsheviks. That was a new one. Legitimate commies would be upset.

I'm somewhat amused and mostly alarmed, even though I shouldn't be.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4890 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

I would say mostly alarmed is exactly what you should be

#4891 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

'Murrica: where wilful ignorance isn't just celebrated, it's a career. :D

'Straya: 10 years behind 'Murrica. :D

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 18 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4892 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

Britain: hurrying to catch up. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4893 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

I just read that the lady who was Roe in Roe vs Wade died. I always kind of knew what Roe vs Wade was about but never the details. How interesting that the baby was 2 1/2 and adopted by the time the ruling was made and that the mother went on to become an anti-abortion activist. I kind of assumed she wouldn't have had a baby and would be some liberal bad-ass feminist type. That's not even thinking about how slowly the Supreme Court in any country works.

I should read up on who Wade was I suppose.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4894 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

There's a fantastic documentary on abortion in America called Lake of Fire, by Tony Kaye (the guy who directed American History X). It's as even-handed as I've seen and includes a good chunk about Roe and her change of mind. I don't recall it having much direct info about Wade though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4895 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 17 February 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

I just saw an ad for the Supreme Court Nominee. This is just so beyond the pale it's unbelievable. The politicization of the Judiciary has come main stream and common.

Also, while driving through Kentucky the other day back from a Career Fair I was at, I had the joy of hearing someone call Democrats: Bolsheviks. That was a new one. Legitimate commies would be upset.

I'm somewhat amused and mostly alarmed, even though I shouldn't be.

If the democrats are Bolsheviks, where do I fit on the Kentucky political graph I wonder.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#4896 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Reverse Hitler.

#4897 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

This bodes well for our republic: https://www.nytimes....nald-trump.html
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4898 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

I find it funny to see the parallels between the Bush/post Bush Era and now. Doesn't anyone remember the crazy people like Glenn Beck that polluted the political discussion in the last decade?

#4899 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

I don't see too many Dem's white-chalk talking their way towards an Apocalypse that'll save the world on news.

#4900 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

So little bit weird that there was a riot in Sweden AFTER Trump's comment.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

46 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users