• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4181 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:23 PM

One of the reasons they voted for Trump is because he offered them a reason to. It's a grift, obviously, but it was the only offer on the table. HRC failed to even do that. I think there's plenty of reason to be mad at Trump voters -- they did, after all, fall for a bald-faced liar and throw everyone else to the lions in the bargain -- but classist insults are off base (as Gorefest said), tactically unwise if you're forward-thinking, and cruel to people who are genuinely hurting (scapegoats are worthless without a problem to blame on them, after all).

If anyone is still interested in post-mortems of the election, but w/ thoughts about the next four years, the one I'd recommend most is this one: https://www.jacobinm...icans-trumpism/

It's the sharpest view on both campaigns, it lets nobody off the hook, and it doesn't mistake the symptoms for the disease.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4182 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

On the other hand, these guys got the other half of Trump's message loud and clear.
https://www.theatlan...ech-npi/508379/

It's real. They exist. They're not unicorns. And they were welcomed to the fold.

#4183 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

Can someone explain what is this meeting where people are shooting Hail Trump? Who are they? This isn't your average neo-Nazi group did in a field in the deep south somewhere...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4184 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

That guy speaking is the guy who coined the term alt-right. Because neo-Nazi has obvious baggage. It's the exact same philosophy though. If there's any distinction it's that the alt-right is the Web 2.0 wing of the movement. They funnel Stormfront ideas into other areas of the web, like Reddit, 4chan, and of course Breitbart (and the comment sections of any news site that has one). They're also, for example, the racist wind in GamerGate's sails (as much as you can distinguish it from the MRA/PUA/lonely-boy types).

It's a mistake to think this is a Southern USA problem alone. It exists in all 50 states (well, I'm not 100% sure how it could in Hawaii), and all levels of society. And they're not usually scary as a group--I'm not sure they're big enough an interest group, and I don't think they tilted the election. What is scary is that we know they've been welcomed with open arms by Trump, regardless of what he says during 60 Minutes interviews, because of who he lets have his ear. I think he could have won the election without them, looking back, but that just makes his continued relationship w/ them that much worse.

#4185 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

UK news is currently frothing about Trump suggesting we make Farage our ambassador to the US. I know taking out Trump is going too far but y'know. All those guns lying around. Couldn't one accidentally go off in Farage's direction? He's a nobody really, it would be forgotten about in a week or two.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4186 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Ugh Farage needs to go away forever... Though I can see why Trump likes him, them both being bigoted narcissistic fascists and all...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4187 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

death rattle, on 21 November 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

On the other hand, these guys got the other half of Trump's message loud and clear.
https://www.theatlan...ech-npi/508379/

It's real. They exist. They're not unicorns. And they were welcomed to the fold.

I literally had a bout of nausea after watching that.
I use literally in the literal sense.

I understand from a scientific viewpoint why these views have supporters; but it's still positively horrifying that nazi ideology is so casually accepted.
https://en.oxforddic...f-the-year-2016
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4188 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

I already thought something was up with him when he developed that hoarse whisper.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4189 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

Haha maybe this is why you get misread sometimes, BK. Your first post after half a page of discussion regarding a neo-Nazi rally starts off "What a great ceremony!" I almost spit out my drink before reading the next sentence and inferring you were talking about something else entirely. Posted Image

#4190 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:20 AM

death rattle, on 22 November 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Haha maybe this is why you get misread sometimes, BK. Your first post after half a page of discussion regarding a neo-Nazi rally starts off "What a great ceremony!" I almost spit out my drink before reading the next sentence and inferring you were talking about something else entirely. Posted Image

He's kinda fucked up on meds and permanent pain plus Ambien, so his posting tends to be a little scattershot and short, while not always linking into what's currently being discussed by others. But he does sorta listen to what's going on.

So give him a little latitude this time around.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4191 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:32 AM

I know I know. I did check out the Ellen part of the medal ceremony afterward and it was really touching (haven't seen much about the rest yet).

All I'm saying is if I spit all over my laptop I'm sending BK the bill!

#4192 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

Just saw some highlights of the ceremony myself (Presidential Medal of Freedom awards). Obama has got a sharp sense of humor and boy is that going to be missed with the next administration to say the least. His quip about Michael Jordan and Space Jam and the crying Jordan meme was quite funny.

#4193 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:03 AM

Jordan hates the crying Jordan meme. He hates it so much that it's actually funny.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4194 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:04 AM

Apparently Hannity is now talking about the "alt-left", as if that's a real thing that exists. Normally I'd kinda chuckle at the effort but now I'm waiting for it to actually catch on. I don't know if this is meant to paint anyone left of him an extremist, or if it's meant to normalize the alt-right in cable news's usual "two sides means balance" racket. Probably both. Let's see if we start hearing it thrown around more and more though.

#4195 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

death rattle, on 23 November 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

Apparently Hannity is now talking about the "alt-left", as if that's a real thing that exists. Normally I'd kinda chuckle at the effort but now I'm waiting for it to actually catch on. I don't know if this is meant to paint anyone left of him an extremist, or if it's meant to normalize the alt-right in cable news's usual "two sides means balance" racket. Probably both. Let's see if we start hearing it thrown around more and more though.

Hannity has this uncanny ability to make me viscerally upset whenever I watch him speak. He never disappoints!

Hannity has always painted everyone left of him as an extremist, so this is pretty familiar territory. All he's doing is reverting back to the same talking points that dominated in the Bush era - 'these radical leftist protesters (read: Democrats) are un-American crybabies undermining our democracy!' People ate it up back then and they probably will now. The vocab is just different.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4196 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Alt-left = Communist Bernie Supporters?

#4197 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

Apt, on 23 November 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Alt-left = Radical Communist Bernie Supporters?

Democrats be radical, yo.

Seriously though, it's a code for Black Lives Matter, Bernie supporters, and anyone who calls conservatives racist bigots.

This post has been edited by MTS: 23 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4198 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

Also, people like you and me. Y'know, Eurotrash.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4199 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm not too familiar with the discourse, but I'd assume that "classic left" would be worker's rights + more government regulation (primarily economic), whereas the "alt-left" will be the "social justice warriors" and "too-PC" crowd.

The kind of politicians who say kids in schools should call their parents "parent 1 and 2" instead of "mother and father", so as not to alieanate the kids from LGBT families. I've heard plenty of otherwise decently tolerant (for Euro-immigrants) people go pretty berserk about that topic.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4200 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

She's a right-wing billionaire, and historically a major backer of school vouchers, which means she's gonna be a vampire sucking the life out of public education. There's few people who'd be a bigger nightmare for the poor/working class, public school educators, people with disabilities, etc. Here's a quick rundown on Twitter (from a journalist source, not a rando): https://twitter.com/...489442544427008
Features special mention of Louisiana btw!

Also her brother is Erik Prince, the founder of Blackwater. You know that tree in Poltergeist that tries to eat the little boy? It was played by her family tree.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

105 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 105 guests, 0 anonymous users