• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#3661 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

I Got Crabs, on 27 October 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

I bet she is think right about now..."fuck why couldn't this Obamacare hike come to light in 15 more days" lol

Or, you know, "Why won't anyone who is influenced by the hike in terms of voting realise that it was Republicans who gutted Obamacare and also made it susceptible to these hikes which are entirely based off companies pulling out of the deal, not an inherent flaw in the design of the healthcare itself?!"

Bloody low-information voters. *shakes fist* :thumbsup:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3662 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Also very interesting, is the Donald going to screw over the RNC completely or has he just painted himself up into a corner?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#3663 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

http://www.facebook....58333687688893/

Huh...

#3664 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

The Obamacare rate hikes are unfortunate, and Sil is right about some of the causes (though I've also read that Americans just turned out to be sicker/more costly than expected), but they still literally affect like ~0.5% of America's insured. It's also still unclear how much of this is simple balancing after the initially insanely low rates, or if newly insured people kinda splurged, giddy with the new options. What COULD be terrible is if this causes a stock market-style panic causes "healthy" people -- ie people who wouldn't incur big costs -- to opt out, thereby damaging the collective nature of the ACA.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3665 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

There are several facets of this election that make me weep for the future of democracy, but perhaps the worst are.

Trump's numbers are rebounding (albeti slightly for now) again. Now, forget about that from the spectrum of which candidate you like. He hasn't done any big in the last week to improve his numbers. Clinton hasn't taken a major hit.

All that has happened is he didn't add a NEW controversy to the news cycle. And this is the second time, the first being in September post convention after he fought the Gold Star parents.

And that means there are voters out there who consider Trump's behaviour disqualifying, but have such short attention spans that they forget all about it in about a week or so. Just stunning
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3666 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'm sure both sides of the spectacle will come up with some kind of an uber-scandal for the election week.

There is some nihilistic part of me that's fascinated with the theoretical possibility of Trump winning, "just to see the world burn" ©

But realistically, it'll be business as usual most likely. I don't think the "protesting masses" can pull off a Brexit-esque fail on such a scale.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3667 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

HRC camp on the horrific crackdown on NoDAPL protesters:
Posted Image

Didn't know such a fluffy weightless string of nothing words could still feel so disgusting. Feel like I've defended HRC a lot recently given how asinine the right's attacks and talking points have been, but this is the kind of thing that makes it such an uphill task -- against myself, at least, not GOPers. They're even worse, obviously, as sick as that is. But being better than Trump or any of the other GOP walking nightmares is a pretty low bar, and though she clears it, all too often it's just by a hair.

#3668 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

worry, on 28 October 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

HRC camp on the horrific crackdown on NoDAPL protesters:
Posted Image

Didn't know such a fluffy weightless string of nothing words could still feel so disgusting. Feel like I've defended HRC a lot recently given how asinine the right's attacks and talking points have been, but this is the kind of thing that makes it such an uphill task -- against myself, at least, not GOPers. They're even worse, obviously, as sick as that is. But being better than Trump or any of the other GOP walking nightmares is a pretty low bar, and though she clears it, all too often it's just by a hair.

Yeah, it's that kind of empty doublespeak that is endemic to the "please everyone" politicians.
Workers rights to work safely? If there are protesters blocking construction, its up to the company to, you know, stop construction, to keep their workers safe. It's really not on peaceful protesters to do that. Nor is removing them a justifiable solution, because that just allows the money focused people to forget about them, as they're no longer affecting the progress.

*sigh*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3669 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

Seems like more nothing. Huma Abedin used her husband's laptop to communicate with her boss a few times. You'll maybe get one more "tsk" to add to the earlier investigation's tsk tsk-ing, and absolutely zero criminal behavior (except, of course, from Wiener himself).

#3670 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:33 AM

What "underlings"? You're already reading way too much into this.

#3671 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

The only thing that can hurt her is if it's stated by Hillary that she knew the home server was illegal and knew there was classified material on there. Everything I've seen says it's not her email, so it's meaningless.

This post has been edited by Hairshirt: 29 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

#3672 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

They haven't actually read the emails yet. They are opening the case so they can do the legal process of reading/investigating them. It's even possible they're just repeats of emails they found already, just from the other end. Maybe they'll be something crazy, though I don't personally find that likely, but we'll see. My point really is that so far, it's not a sign of anything we didn't already know, and all the GOP & Trump cheerleading the FBI today is waaay premature. It's pretty mundane process stuff right now (though I'm not sure why FBI Director Comey had to be so weird about it).

#3673 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

I think it might have been just a big middle finger to the justice department from Comey. I found it odd they trotted him out to say there would be no charges a few months ago. It's usually the justice department who explains no charges will be filed or if charges will proceed, since it's their decision not the FBIs. It came off to me as a political move, that noone would trust a Democratic Attorney General, so they ran out Republican to explain it and fall on the sword.

It will be interesting to see if they turn on Comey and spin this to him being a Republican grandstanding after praising his bipartisanship over the last few months.

#3674 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

I Got Crabs, on 29 October 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

Idk. Just wondering if anyone will wind up scapegoated at any point.

Not watching news but why would they reopen the case just for that. Gotta be something more then that

As I understand it, the FBI didn't reopen the case "just for that". The case wasn't closed to begin with.

#3675 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

This new info has me voting Trump. He is clearly the responsible and presidential candidate.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3676 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3677 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

But really, it is bonkers to only have two choices. This is scylla and charibdis. At least you'd need something like the monster raving loony party in the USA. Anything to bring the choice beyond two.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3678 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

Gorefest, on 29 October 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

But really, it is bonkers to only have two choices. This is scylla and charibdis. At least you'd need something like the monster raving loony party in the USA. Anything to bring the choice beyond two.

It's not like there aren't other candidates. Libertarian or Green. Of course they get such a small share of the total votes that turning them into viable options is almost impossible (and believing that keeps it so), thus why it's treated as a two horse race.

Shinrei said:

#3679 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

We better thank our lucky stars that Bernie ran as a Dem and Jill Stein is a total incompetent, or else the world would be getting President Trump for real.

#3680 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:34 AM

I will spend the week doing my best not to have a panic attack.

Share this topic:

• 711 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users