• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#3561 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:57 PM

The public/private thing:

"But If Everybody's Watching, You Know, All Of The Back Room Discussions And The Deals, You Know, Then People Get A Little Nervous, To Say The Least. So, You Need Both A Public And A Private Position."

"CLINTON: You just have to sort of figure out how to — getting back to that word, "balance" — how to balance the public and the private efforts that are necessary to be successful, politically, and that's not just a comment about today. That, I think, has probably been true for all of our history, and if you saw the Spielberg movie, Lincoln, and how he was maneuvering and working to get the 13th Amendment passed, and he called one of my favorite predecessors, Secretary Seward, who had been the governor and senator from New York, ran against Lincoln for president, and he told Seward, I need your help to get this done. And Seward called some of his lobbyist friends who knew how to make a deal, and they just kept going at it. I mean, politics is like sausage being made. It is unsavory, and it always has been that way, but we usually end up where we need to be. But if everybody's watching, you know, all of the back room discussions and the deals, you know, then people get a little nervous, to say the least. So, you need both a public and a private position."

That's called politics.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 11 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3562 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

I have a Hillary anecdote. It might be dull but this election needs a bit of dullness. Two of my cousins are obsessed with famous people and have a running competition for who sees the most. There's a points system with increasing points depending on international status and attire. Top points are for an American famous person wearing sunglasses indoors. One cousin blew the other out of the water at her brothers Oxford uni graduation. Chelsea was graduating so Bill and Hills were there and Hillary was wearing sunglasses. The end. You're welcome.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3563 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

Bonus points if they were this pair:
Posted Image

On a more serious note, more women are coming forward: http://www.nytimes.c...rump-women.html
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3564 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

View Postworry, on 12 October 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

Bonus points if they were this pair:
Posted Image

On a more serious note, more women are coming forward: http://www.nytimes.c...rump-women.html

Color me surprised.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3565 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:57 AM

And another one. A firsthand account from a People Magazine reporter who personally covered him as part of her beat: http://people.com/po...-people-writer/

He is a sexual predator.

#3566 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

And now his fans are saying women should no longer be allowed to vote after someone did a map saying that is only women voters nearly every state would be blue... I'm at work and about to start so I can't link but there's a #repealthe19th going round...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3567 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

That sounds more like 4chan trolling than something that would originate with Trump folks, to be honest. I'm not saying it didn't catch on a little with some of them, but it seems keyed specifically to get a reaction after the Access Hollywood tape...and people (and media) obliged.

Edit: That's just a hunch, mind you.

This post has been edited by worry: 13 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

#3568 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Well, pretty sure nearly every state would be blue if the demographics were limited by the 18-35 age bracket too (just going by what I've seen of us polling stats from memory), or limited to those with a degree. So unless they want to enact laws to restrict the voting age to middle age or older white men.... Hmm... Probably shouldn't suggest that, in hindsight. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3569 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

Are you guys referring to this?

http://www.news.com....7759c10bc2cfe1a
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3570 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

The map is from 538 he did one that showed if only women voted as well. It is almost totally blue.

538 article
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3571 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

Not sure if this was posted yet as its a few weeks old now...but it's pretty spot on.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3572 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

View PostVengeance, on 13 October 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

The map is from 538 he did one that showed if only women voted as well. It is almost totally blue.

538 article

MS is a depressing exception. I made the mistake at looking at the comments on an article from WLOX (Biloxi) about a Miss Universe pageant participant from Hattiesburg, my college town. Every single top-voted comment was about how women who parade around on stage in bikinis should expect that kind of treatment. It was atrocious, and most of the comments were from women.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3573 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:52 AM

I can legitimately see Michelle Obama as Hillary 2.0 with a far higher rate of popularity.

She's got the chops, but not the experience though. That said, if she went 2 years in House, Senate for 1 or 1/2 a session.....

Hillary's biggest hitters are the Admin she worked in with Biden and Barack and Michelle Obama, with Bill at #4.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 14 October 2016 - 01:52 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3574 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 October 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

I can legitimately see Michelle Obama as Hillary 2.0 with a far higher rate of popularity.

She's got the chops, but not the experience though. That said, if she went 2 years in House, Senate for 1 or 1/2 a session.....

Hillary's biggest hitters are the Admin she worked in with Biden and Barack and Michelle Obama, with Bill at #4.

Could happen, but I would not automatically expect it. Hillary was always politically driven.

She was a force behind Bill. Michelle has maintained credibility and popularity but in a more traditional first lady role. No talk of co-presidency or such. The closest attacks I can recall republicans having on her was wanting to force their fat kids to eat better. That's a far cry from a first lady pushing single payer health care.

Lets put it this way. Hillary was always going to want to run. I would not expect that from Michelle, but depending on the state of the party I could see people reaching out to her to go for first a senate seat, then the big job. But a presidency takes a lot out of you. The Obamas may well get pressure and still simply enjoy their retirement.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3575 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostNevyn, on 14 October 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 October 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

Could happen, but I would not automatically expect it. Hillary was always politically driven.

She was a force behind Bill. Michelle has maintained credibility and popularity but in a more traditional first lady role. No talk of co-presidency or such. The closest attacks I can recall republicans having on her was wanting to force their fat kids to eat better. That's a far cry from a first lady pushing single payer health care.

Lets put it this way. Hillary was always going to want to run. I would not expect that from Michelle, but depending on the state of the party I could see people reaching out to her to go for first a senate seat, then the big job. But a presidency takes a lot out of you. The Obamas may well get pressure and still simply enjoy their retirement.

Oh, I don't think she will ever run, so it doesn't really matter. BUT, she's so fantastically awesome.

That being said, a little experience here and there, it wouldn't take much... if she did. Hypothetically.

But, she won't. And shouldn't for her and her family.

Hillary will work for at least 4.

#3576 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:30 AM

She's an all-time great though for sure.

#3577 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:21 AM

The Trump campaign has now gone full Alt-Conspiracy.

Every conspiracy you can think of? He just agreed with.

I typed "Lol.". Then I thought: This is my country.

I'm sad. Let's vote and get this done.

#3578 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

Seriously scary: the barely coded language about an international cabal of bankers and media to go with the Dem and minority bashing. Even when he loses it's not gonna stop being ugly.

#3579 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

View Postworry, on 14 October 2016 - 05:14 AM, said:

Seriously scary: the barely coded language about an international cabal of bankers and media to go with the Dem and minority bashing. Even when he loses it's not gonna stop being ugly.

See, the thing is, conspiracies like that actually make a certain amount of sense. Money, after all, makes the world go round, and bankers are pretty much in control of the money. After the clusterfuck that was the GFC, it's *very* easy to point at the financial sector as being outright malicious, engaged in conspiracy, and corrupt as hell.
Of course, that doesn't explain why it was grounded in America, or why various people within the industry were trying to raise the red flag, why it all actually fell over instead of just continuing to suck the economy dry, why the bailouts and post-bailout bonuses happened, etc, etc.

But it's an easy conspiracy to sell, and an easy conspiracy to believe. Of course, it's more likely to be a dozen or more competing "conspiracies" (read: rich people trying to get richer and damn the consequences), and be much less in control than a *real* global conspiracy would have to be, even if you want to take it that far. So yeah, that particular sort of talk won't be going away for a loooooooooong time after he loses.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3580 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ump-letter.html

I believe that's what you would call a burn.

The level of snark in that response is physically hurting me. Also, I wonder how stupid someone has to be to become Trump's lawyer. Have they no self respect?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

Share this topic:

• 709 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users