• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#3521 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

View PostTerez, on 08 October 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

Trump got caught on tape admitting to sexually assaulting women and bragging about it. The party is dumping him in dramatic fashion.

I've seen the news about that. HD's posts seem to imply something is going on in real time.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3522 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

The real time aspect is that every hour there is a new public official declaring they won't vote for him. Again, very dramatic.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3523 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Yeah but you have to respect trump 'hes got the guts to tell it like it is'

In case anyone was wondering.
That was sarcasm

This post has been edited by Macros: 08 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

#3524 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

What this reveals about the Republican party -- and I'm not the first to say this by a long shot -- is just what they ARE willing to accept. It's been a year-plus of misogyny, racism, xenophobia, hate rallies, and literal violence. Before the tape came out yesterday he had already reiterated his belief that the Central Park Five were guilty, despite the fact that they were exonerated without question, a belief he's held all this time solely because they were 5 black teenagers hanging out together in a park. It's been example after example of stuff like that this whole election cycle, and the GOP has stuck with him. That tape of him was awful, but he's been this same awful guy the entire time. It's possible a lot of congresspeople willing to voice their disapproval now will get an "integrity bump" in their specific races -- I actually don't know if we can predict that, given the GOP base right now -- but literally none of them deserve it. None of this is about integrity, it's about whether Trump has finally turned toxic with enough angry white voters.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3525 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostTerez, on 08 October 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

The real time aspect is that every hour there is a new public official declaring they won't vote for him. Again, very dramatic.

You have a major political party falling apart in real time.

This shit is real time death of Republican party as people disavow Trump.

Kind of scary actually.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3526 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 08 October 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Kind of scary actually.

Considering that the Republicans have successfully captured several state legislatures in recent years, have many influential governors, and control huge swathes of cities nationwide, your analysis is off. They're perfectly fine with Trump driving himself off a cliff because it means they don't have to fund or stump for him - they can focus efforts elsewhere in the down ticket areas.

If the GOP truly supported Trump, he'd be getting Jeb Bush level money from donors. He's not. None of those higher ups give a shit about him or really the country. None of them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3527 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 October 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 08 October 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Kind of scary actually.

Considering that the Republicans have successfully captured several state legislatures in recent years, have many influential governors, and control huge swathes of cities nationwide, your analysis is off. They're perfectly fine with Trump driving himself off a cliff because it means they don't have to fund or stump for him - they can focus efforts elsewhere in the down ticket areas.

If the GOP truly supported Trump, he'd be getting Jeb Bush level money from donors. He's not. None of those higher ups give a shit about him or really the country. None of them.

I disagree. The 30% that supports Trump, no matter what, is the solid Republican base that will never vote any other group.

You are talking donors; I'm talking voters. This is actually a really good convo for after the election; Trump is a kind of wild card candidate that implodes things.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3528 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

For non-Americans I'd just like to remind everyone that the second presidential debate is TOMORROW.

#3529 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

View Postworry, on 08 October 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

For non-Americans I'd just like to remind everyone that the second presidential debate is TOMORROW.

And where before I was a bit disinterested, I now regret not taking time off work to view it! XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3530 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:57 PM

It is going to be a thing of beauty.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3531 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 08 October 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Drumpf didn't decide to just not show up.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3532 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostObdigore, on 09 October 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Drumpf didn't decide to just not show up.

What? He's gonna grab this debate by the pussy and attack it like the man he is!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3533 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 09 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 09 October 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

What? He's gonna grab this debate by the pussy and attack it like the man he is!

I'm not so sure, I mean, that happened back when he was a young, spry and fresh-faced 59 year old!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#3534 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Here is a link to a New York Times book review about a Hitler biography, which is really a piece about Trump: My link

I post this fully aware of Godwin's Law. The review represents an awareness of a political/sociological process. Clearly Trump is not Hitler, yet we are seeing similar idiocies in places like Austria, France, and Britain. As an American I am embarrassed to believe that my country possesses what I believe is the lowest political I.Q. in the developed world, and it provides me no comfort that this idiocy exists throughout the world.

Today I am scared by reports that the Republican Party is trying to remove Trump or to convince him to remove himself. Our system does not seem to allow for this, but I still fear that Trump could make a promise to resign immediately upon the inauguration. We already know that a Trump adviser told Kasich that the Vice President would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy, while Trump would be in charge of "making America great again."

When it comes to policy, Pence is probably more scary than Trump.

#3535 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

All Hillary has to do is stick to answering the actual questions, and look at him like he's an idiot when he attacks her husband and marriage. Perhaps look at the moderator and roll her eyes periodically.
Trump... at this point he should just go for broke and declare war on someone. Anyone. ISIS, Al Quaida, feminists, Puerto Rico, gluten... And then say that Bill Clnton used to rape puppies while Hillary intimidated their owners. He needs to throw that in early, again in the middle, and then a few times at the end. Maybe address her as Madam Secretary Puppy Rapist Spouse.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3536 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

I watched it!

Worst answers:
HRC's response to the private stance/public stance thing, and the reference to Lincoln. Wack!
Trump's claim that Captain Khan wouldn't have died if he were president back then.

Best answers:
HRC on improving Obamacare instead of scrapping it, return to old status quo.
Trump had no good policy/issue answers, but had a pretty good (and seemingly honest) response to that final (lousy) compliment-each-other question.

Overall I don't think it necessarily endeared a lot more new people to HRC but she definitely didn't lose anyone, and I don't think it saved DT from the whirlpool he's already in. Kind of just one more blip on his way down.

#3537 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

View Postworry, on 10 October 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

I watched it!

Worst answers:
HRC's response to the private stance/public stance thing, and the reference to Lincoln. Wack!
Trump's claim that Captain Khan wouldn't have died if he were president back then.

Best answers:
HRC on improving Obamacare instead of scrapping it, return to old status quo.
Trump had no good policy/issue answers, but had a pretty good (and seemingly honest) response to that final (lousy) compliment-each-other question.

Overall I don't think it necessarily endeared a lot more new people to HRC but she definitely didn't lose anyone, and I don't think it saved DT from the whirlpool he's already in. Kind of just one more blip on his way down.

I agree with you. This debate went a lot better than expected considering the shithole Donald is in.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3538 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:12 AM

View Postworry, on 10 October 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

but had a pretty good (and seemingly honest) response to that final (lousy) compliment-each-other question.

That one was difficult for Clinton, given that she's got the honesty perception problem and needs to lie as little as possible now.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#3539 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

Let me get this straight: a presidential candidate stated that he would jail his political rival if elected and this is even a contest? I mean, there are countries where they routinely do that and none of them are anywhere you would want to live.

I honestly don't understand why there is so much ambivalence still in this election. How could you let this happen to yourselves?

Seriously, you are scaring me.

If I were in the USA, I'd make sure my passport was up to date and have researched thoroughly what country I could move to in a hurry. Not exaggerating. History tells us that things can go very bad very fast and its the stragglers who think that "they'll never go that far" who end up in internment camps and mass graves.

#3540 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

View PostUna, on 10 October 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Let me get this straight: a presidential candidate stated that he would jail his political rival if elected and this is even a contest? I mean, there are countries where they routinely do that and none of them are anywhere you would want to live.

I honestly don't understand why there is so much ambivalence still in this election. How could you let this happen to yourselves?

Seriously, you are scaring me.

If I were in the USA, I'd make sure my passport was up to date and have researched thoroughly what country I could move to in a hurry. Not exaggerating. History tells us that things can go very bad very fast and its the stragglers who think that "they'll never go that far" who end up in internment camps and mass graves.

Bear in mind that this is the country which is almost completely responsible for the global financial crisis in 2008, due to rampant deregulation, political corruption, corporate greed, and a complete lack of common sense. The country that then went on to not actually do anything meaningful to fix the causes, despite all the remaining banks being bigger, and more dangerous, then proceeded to employ some of the key architects of the crisis to become the new regulators and overseers of the industry.
Meanwhile, the same country has a gigantic issue with police brutality and racism, a culture of science denial and anti-intellectualism, a firm paranoia about government and regulation in general, and an outright obsession with firearms despite rampant mass shootings, meanwhile being unable to figure out how to fund things like infrastructure and public healthcare.*

....yeah, it's super surprising that Trump is a candidate for the Presidency.

/sarcasm.

And which countries can Americans relatively easily flee to? I'm not aware of any countries that have easy long-term immigration for the US, given how strict and unaccommodating American immigration policy is.....

*to be clear; this is a pessimistic view that doesn't reflect the day-to-day reality for a large percentage of Americans. It's a systemic issue backed by a (still disturbingly large) vocal portion of the population.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 709 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users