• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8721 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Yah, but I will also say this is laughable: "Republicans have accused her of downplaying the attacks, but Democrats have largely rallied to her defence, saying she had been quoted out of context and some accusing Mr Trump of inciting violence against her and Muslims."
Let's not forget how many Dems jumped on the bogus anti-semitism train just last month, alongside Chelsea Clinton, just to score Moderate points while opening Omar up to the wolves in the GOP. And just these past few days she was sold out on live TV by Tom Perez, the response from Pelosi has been horrible (and Schumer has been a no-show), the tweets from Beto, Buttigieg, Harris, Klobuchar, and Gillibrand are godawful -- either saying nothing or talking out both sides of their mouth.
This about says it all for these focus-tested creeps:

It's hardly worth mentioning Booker and Biden. But I was heartened to see Liz Warren's excellent (maybe the best) day-of response, and surprised to see Julian Castro show some backbone, but largely the actual defense of Omar has come from who'd you expect: her friends and allies with actual principles like AOC, Pressley, Tlaib, etc.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8722 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Real subtle huh.

#8723 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

The republicans like having a target that seems to be all american politics is these days.

That said she is making it easy for them. She stumbles from one stupid thing to another.

She said 'Some people did some thing and so we are losing our rights', when she got flak for this she dug up a quote by bush where he said 'some people flew a plane into buildings'. There is a huge difference I think. Bush spoke in a way that made the terrorists unimportant but what they did and the consequences were not. Omar made both the terrorists and what they did seem unimportant. I'm inclined to think it was more carelessness than it was a secret Muslim Manchurian candidate infiltrating the congress. However as one of two muslim congresswomen she should I think be more careful. So far her actions make it easy for most of her american audience to brush her off.

#8724 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:57 AM

View PostCause, on 14 April 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

The republicans like having a target that seems to be all american politics is these days.

That said she is making it easy for them. She stumbles from one stupid thing to another.

She said 'Some people did some thing and so we are losing our rights', when she got flak for this she dug up a quote by bush where he said 'some people flew a plane into buildings'. There is a huge difference I think. Bush spoke in a way that made the terrorists unimportant but what they did and the consequences were not. Omar made both the terrorists and what they did seem unimportant. I'm inclined to think it was more carelessness than it was a secret Muslim Manchurian candidate infiltrating the congress. However as one of two muslim congresswomen she should I think be more careful. So far her actions make it easy for most of her american audience to brush her off.

Couldn't disagree more. What she said, in context, makes perfect sense. Continuing to take the phrasing out of context feeds directly into what DJT/Murdoch/Dan Crenshaw are trying to do; in fact, it is exactly what they are doing. It's 100% clear that she wasn't saying "some people" like some sarcastic 80s sitcom character. She was saying some (as in a small amount) of Muslims did something wrong, and all Muslims have taken the blame -- a fact born out by nearly the last two decades of US domestic and foreign policy. So it's a distinction between who should bear the blame vs. who was forced to bear the blame, not a diminishment of what those culprits did. Why give this disingenuous right wing smear any breathing space?

#8725 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

I don't care that she said 'some people'. It was saying that they did 'something' which makes it a terrible soundbite. As I said I attribute it to carelessness. However she is a politician, she should be aware of her vulnerabilities and she should be more en guard. She is allowing the republicans to frame the narrative. No one even knows the context, where was she speaking, to whom. What she said and why is no longer important, the debate is now about if what she said is offensive. I read an article the other day that said Americans no longer even care about the issues in politics. They are focused solely on the people and their perceptions of them.

There is a reason she and the AOC are so famous at the moment and the reasons are not good for democrats. The republicans are picking fights with the junior most democratic congresswomen and making these irrelevant (in the grand picture) instances their major talking points. Doing so helps them win.

I read that Omar only won her seat because four strong black candidates split the vote of her districts predominantly black voters base. That means she already faces an uphill battle for re-election. If the republicans can continue to paint her as the congresswomen only fighting for mulsim and palestianian rights her district wont re-elect her.

#8726 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Anybody got the scoop on this Pete Buttigeg candidate. He sounds like a promising guy.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and it's revealed that he's secretly a former pizzeria owning child rapist or something.

#8727 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Well he's gay so you're going to hear all sorts of things about him and people like Nico will repeat them.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8728 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

I know it's hard but you really should try to refrain from these constant jabs at forum members you disagree with. You're implying a pretty dirty thing based on nothing but political prejudice.

Not very Christian.

#8729 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

I know it's hard but you really should try to refrain from these constant jabs at forum members you disagree with. You're implying a pretty dirty thing based on nothing but political prejudice.

Not very Christian.

'Political prejudice' = Racist, Homophophobic, fascists?

I learn a new phrase every day!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8730 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

Is that what you think Nico is?

#8731 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

Well he's gay so you're going to hear all sorts of things about him.

Im not sure america is ready for a gay president.

#8732 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

I'm ready for a political debate between Buttigeg and Pence. That would be glorious.

#8733 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'm ready for a political debate between Buttigeg and Pence. That would be glorious.

I loved the sound bite where pence was asked is homosexuality is a sin. he wouldnt deny it and he wouldnt agree. I believe in god, I believe in the bible etc etc Who do these tricks work on

#8734 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

The group he continues to voice his support for certainly is.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8735 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

View PostObdigore, on 15 April 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

The group he continues to voice his support for certainly is.

Yeah I never said Nico was those things but he certainly parrots a lot of nonsense from the right...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8736 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Pence is so homophobic he eats bananas sideways.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 15 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8737 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

huh, I'll be damned, well smack my ass and call me Sally and dip me in honeydew brine. Some unknown (to me) named Bill Weld declared his run for 2020 presidency and will challenge Trump for GOP nomination. Had to search Bill Weld, he was governor of Massachusetts early to mid 90s. Probably drops out real quick.

#8738 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:51 AM

"Children are dying."

#8739 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:09 PM

Wow. I haven't seen that gif on a decade I think. Can we start posting demotivational posters again?

#8740 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Thought I'd bring out one the classics, seemed appropriate. Sure, love demotivational posters. Go for it! Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users