• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8321 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

I believe it has to do with Mrs. Pence (aka Mother) working for a private Christian school that overtly discriminates against LGBT staff and youth (employees have to literally sign a pledge). The Catholic school mob harassing the Native elders is something of a timing coincidence, but isn't exactly a separate issue in historical context.

Obviously there are plenty of good Christian people (I even board with some!), but Christianity as an industry -- which it very much is, in the US and abroad -- is toxic, anti-educational, bigoted, and abusive (not just figuratively, as protestant/evangelical institutions have the same issues the Catholic Church does, but with much less collective scrutiny).

The hashtag, naturally, is full of people from all walks of life explaining their horror stories, large and small, growing up at the mercy of this industry.

This post has been edited by worry: 19 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8322 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

50 ways the shutdown is screwing the USA:

https://www.news.com...44398abbda46f43

Holy shit! :p

EDIT: whoa, the stories on that #exposechristianschools thread are fucked up! Why are there so few actual Christ-ians, compared with vile hypocrites?
Or is it just another example of the way the world is? Bad people win, good people put up with it and/or suffer?

Just seems like the louder people trumpet their own supposed virtue, the worse they actually are.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8323 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

Lol!

"5.7 billions dollars for a strategic deployment of physical barriers. Or a wall."
"A powerful, and fully designed see-through steel barrier."

The art of the deal in action folks. He's the best negotiator, makes the best deals.

#8324 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

It's times like this I enjoy reading the tweet of God:

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod

if you haven't seen and bookmarked/followed it already.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8325 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:43 AM

worry, on 19 January 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Obviously there are plenty of good Christian people (I even board with some!), but Christianity as an industry -- which it very much is, in the US and abroad -- is toxic, anti-educational, bigoted, and abusive (not just figuratively, as protestant/evangelical institutions have the same issues the Catholic Church does, but with much less collective scrutiny).

100%
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8326 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Okay, show of hands. As the Trump climate continues unabated, the line of people who should be punched in the face (multiple times) keeps growing - Stephen Miller, DJTJ & Eric Trump, EpiPen Bro (Martin Shkreli). Who thinks this squirt of vomitous shit should go to the top of the list?
Posted Image

This pissant better disguise himself or get plastic surgery to change his looks, cause I imagine many have it out for him.

#8327 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Kids just vocalise the opinions of their parents and surroundings. Better have pity on that kid, just think what sort of community he must be growing up in to display such warped world views at such a relatively young age. Tragic more than punch-worthy.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 20 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8328 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yeah his mum said it was the fault of Black Muslims or something...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8329 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Gorefest, on 20 January 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

Kids just vocalise the opinions of their parents and surroundings. Better have pity on that kid, just think what sort of community he must be growing up in to display such warped world views at such a relatively young age. Tragic more than punch-worthy.

'Black Muslims made my son do it [...] Shame on you! Were you there? Did you hear the names the people where (sic) calling these boys? It was shameful. Did you witness the black Muslims yelling profanities and video taping trying to get something to futher (sic) your narrative of hatred?? [...] Did you know that this 'man' came up to this one boy and drummed in his face?'

https://www.newsweek...veteran-1298609

Granted, they were being called names by black activists, though I haven't seen any evidence that all or most of them were Muslims. CNN has some footage of it:

https://www.youtube....h?v=WzJU1L-1VrE

That the mother put man in quotes seems very telling.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

#8330 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

They weren't Muslims, but members of the Black Hebrew Israelites (an anti-gay, anti-white religious hate group).

'"[the students] witnessed these individuals on their soapbox saying what they had to say," Phillips said. "They didn't agree with it and got offended." Phillips said some of the members of the Black Hebrew group were also acting up, "saying some harsh things" and that one member spit in the direction of the Catholic students. "So I put myself in between that, between a rock and hard place," he said. But then, the crowd of mostly male students turned their anger towards Phillips."There was that moment when I realized I've put myself between beast and prey," Phillips said. "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that."'

https://www.freep.co...deo/2630256002/

#8331 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

Nicodimas, on 18 January 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

Alternative Goose, on 18 January 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

Republican's have been fucking over their voters for decades. It's accepted so long as people get to keep their guns and gay convertion therapy.

Hmm I would assume you mean that about all the politicians and the elite. To be fair.

So Trump got China to the table and is about to sign a deal for an additional 1 trillion dollars and balancing trade. This will be his largest win for his administration. So he also increased manufacturing too during his time.

The sky did not fall and he is making general advanced progress in the area his base really voted for him. This is good for America as China 2020–2030 is going to be a economic powerhouse (well if they can keep their scaling together.. diff convo).

Where do you even get this stuff?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8332 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

Kamala Harris is running for President.

What's the boards opinion of Harris?

When ever I see footage of her I always get the feeling that she's sharp and tough.

I imagine that tactically running as a competent woman of color is an asset in the wake of Trump.

#8333 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Alternative Goose, on 21 January 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Kamala Harris is running for President.

What's the boards opinion of Harris?

When ever I see footage of her I always get the feeling that she's sharp and tough.

I imagine that tactically running as a competent woman of color is an asset in the wake of Trump.

I love her. And if I were an American, she would be a strong contender for my vote just based solely on what I know of her right now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8334 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Part 1 of 4 to the entire "Kid smirks at Native American Nathan Phillips drumming" debacle that shows way more of what was going on start to finish than you see on that little clip from the news...the kids are clearly mocking him, which gets my hackles up....

https://vimeo.com/312330750

But goddamn, aside from all else...who TF gave these kids MAGA hats, and what exactly don't they understand about what that represents and how the world will view them?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8335 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

1) To be clear, I would vote for Kamala Harris in the general election over Donald Trump (or any Republican) in a heartbeat.

2) She's no progressive, and I will not, under any realistic circumstances, vote for her during the Dem primary. Her record as California's AG is abysmal (imo), and I don't trust any 'reform' language that comes out of her mouth. She is, at heart, a fairly typical prosecutor -- interested in wins, not justice. It's an appreciable skill, admittedly, in a Senate hearing on corruption. It's valuable to have a skilled and probing legal mind in there, in contrast to senators who can't set up a VCR trying to ask Mark Zuckerberg questions about data gathering practices. But her record is decidedly awful, at least pre-Senate, if you believe in the civil liberties of everyday Americans, or want criminal justice reform, or want something actually done (beyond rhetoric) to end the war on drugs. If she makes Abolish Ice part of her plank, I maaaaay pay her more mind than otherwise, but I ain't holding my breath.

Anyway, Jacobin has a pretty nuanced, fair-minded take on her imo. The good (which certainly exists), the bad, and the ugly (which is very ugly). LINK

This post has been edited by worry: 21 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

#8336 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:52 AM

#8337 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM

The cries of outrage from right wing snowflakes that not only a woman but a woman of colour being President would make it worth the vote for Harris alone...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

The cries of outrage from right wing snowflakes that not only a woman but a woman of colour being President would make it worth the vote for Harris alone...

Yep. Agreed.

#8339 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

worry, on 22 January 2019 - 01:52 AM, said:

Man I feel bad for this kid. Like everyone else, I wanted to punch him in the face when the first video went viral. I was pissed at him and pissed at Trump for empowering these racists, and honestly afraid for the future. After seeing more footage, I see a bunch of rowdy high schoolers with this kid just standing there. I don't get why there are so many MAGA hats, but I wish we could at least wait until this kid steps out of his bubble and goes to college before doxxing him. He is 16.

#8340 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

He wasn't doxxed. He literally put out a statement through a PR firm.

And that PR firm?

And those rowdy kids?

And just standing there?

Why were there so many MAGA hats? That's not a mystery. Same reason there are so many confederate flags. Same message. Same threat.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users