• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6721 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 08 May 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

This is actually (without exception) the single most polite, easygoing message board I've ever seen on the entire internet. If a Trump enthusiast can't withstand the discussions that happen here, I don't know what to tell you.

Except me. I'm a big meanie.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6722 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

I'm not sure what more the board can do without forcing dishonesty.

Like, we can't pretend that Donald Trump hasn't been a famously stupid, corrupt, business failure and rich-boy celebutante for 40 years and more. We can't pretend everybody around our age and older didn't know this about him. We can't pretend that his political star didn't start rising until the Birther movement gained traction and he jumped in with both feet.

What more can we do? Without pretending he's not openly white nationalist and pursuing policies to that end? Without pretending he was always one of the dumbest, most disreputable people in our entire pop culture landscape, and hasn't changed for the better since entering politics?

In my observation (which is limited, I know), even when people take personal swipes at others out of frustration or whatever, they tend to get called on it by other boarders and it very rarely explodes into worse -- people are, for lack of a better term, exceedingly nice here. But in terms of discussing public figures' behavior, decision-making, policy, world view, and other things that are up for grabs in a politics thread, what else can people here do for Trump supporters without lying about who and what he is?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6723 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

I'm nice and I still get put on ignore. Maybe I'm too goofy? Dunno.

But about Trump. Every week it's a cluster fuck of something new. It's like being a bystander at the worst automobile wreck you've witnessed and staring agape at the carnage. Except it's every week. There's no one sided or bias about it. Just open your eyes and pay attention. If you can't see it, then you've got too much emotion invested in being a Trump voter and are blinded by your worship.

Consider the so called push for Trump to get the Nobel Peace prize for solving the N. Korean problem. He didn't solve shit and his meeting with Kim Jung Un isn't going to solve anything except give KJU legitimacy. If Trumpters would dig deeper they would know that KJU has attained a watershed mark in developing a nuclear bomb (quicker then he thought they would) so is playing the coy game of "we'll immediately cease all nuclear activity". Don't buy it, Trump sheeple. The only prize Trump deserves is worst U.S President in our lifetimes (I think there was one way back that was also pretty horrible).

#6724 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

I'm pretty sure at this point there are two prongs to Trump's policy goals:

1. Erase everything Obama accomplished during his presidency for... reasons.
2. Enrich his family and friends.

That's it. I'm open for other options, though.

Edit: Koozie, please don't use the word "sheeple" seriously. It's ridiculous. Propaganda works on everyone, that is why everyone uses it!

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 08 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6725 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

I imagine BK is alluding to the idea that people who support Trump (at all) get assumed to support all of his beliefs (stated or not) when they don't necessarily do so.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6726 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

I remember reading BK stating he disagrees with quite a few things. I think the difference here is in that people speak in general as to those not on the board and engaged in discussion, as opposed to including: "unlike, BK, etc...."

I don't think these things are generally meant in attack on any member. Generally. Things get heated from time to time, as I well know.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6727 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:17 PM

After Trump finished his speech about the JCPOA today,Rouhani went on nighttime tv in iran (kind of equivalent to American primetime but not really) and gave a BS reassurance speech.

About ten minutes later, a mid level member of the Majlis (deputy head of a committee) went on TV and outrighted stated that his committee is looking at "a three priority piece of legislation to direct the president to withdraw from the NPT."

Obviously this isn't very likely to happen; but isn't it so lovely that Trump so efficiently moved dthe public debate in Iran from "Is the JCPOA conciliating the imperialist west?" to "Is there any reason to stay in any treaties with the imperialist west? since they don't honor them anyways"
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#6728 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

These actions are what are maddening. Why withdraw without talks? WHY?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes isn't an idiom meant for entire countries.

I don't want another war or threat of it. Ain't NK enough?

Can't run foreign policy on brinkmanship.

#6729 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

I guess "Just start a war. They'll fall for it every time." is at least part of the logic here?

Meanwhile, it appears Michael Cohen's consulting firm/shell company didn't just exist to pay mistresses hush money, but took a whole lot of other pay-to-play money as well. Including from a Russian oligarch and at least one telecom (AT&T) hoping to buy the Net Neutrality decision or at least influence a positive decision on that merger they wanted.
https://www.nytimes....y-payments.html

This post has been edited by Luv2B_Sassy: 09 May 2018 - 01:02 AM

#6730 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:14 AM

View PostSilencer, on 08 May 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

I imagine BK is alluding to the idea that people who support Trump (at all) get assumed to support all of his beliefs (stated or not) when they don't necessarily do so.

Nope thats a cop out.

If some guy says he wants to give me $20 bucks just for fun, I support that.

If some guy says he wants to give me $20 bucks just for fun, AND wants to nuke north korea and iran, I can't support that.

Politics, like religion, isn't a buffet. You don't get to choose 'I'll take tax breaks for rich people and no healthcare for dem poors, but I'll pass on destroying the epa, more war, and being a white nationalist, even though the guy I elected is the whole thing.

BK, if you actually want to discuss what you view as the good points of Donald Trumps' policies/platform, and anything good hes done for this country, I'd be happy to hear your opinion.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6731 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:24 AM

BK, I think you sometimes fall victim to being the "foil" in these discussions as the only person who will speak up to any argument at all. And, that isn't fair to you, I agree.

I don't know what else to say to you. You can stop posting, but we don't want that.

You are surrounded on this board by liberals, just like I am with hard core conservatives in real life. I can't speak out in real life. I'd lose my job in a heartbeat. So, I do it here.

I can't tell you how many unpleasant things I've had to laugh about because I live here.

It's not fun. I don't like it. But, everyone needs a job.

#6732 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

View PostObdigore, on 09 May 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 08 May 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

Nope thats a cop out.

If some guy says he wants to give me $20 bucks just for fun, I support that.

If some guy says he wants to give me $20 bucks just for fun, AND wants to nuke north korea and iran, I can't support that.

Politics, like religion, isn't a buffet. You don't get to choose 'I'll take tax breaks for rich people and no healthcare for dem poors, but I'll pass on destroying the epa, more war, and being a white nationalist, even though the guy I elected is the whole thing.

BK, if you actually want to discuss what you view as the good points of Donald Trumps' policies/platform, and anything good hes done for this country, I'd be happy to hear your opinion.

This. ONE FUCKING THOUSAND PERCENT.

And for the record, I'm not a liberal.

#6733 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:27 AM

I get that BK gets a hard time as being a trumpalumper, but I'm genuinely curious if trump has actually done anything applause worthy.

Melania, fair play to her, she's stuck by trump, Sondheim gets respect for.... dogged perseverance?

This post has been edited by Macros: 09 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

#6734 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

At the end of each day, no matter how heated it gets, we should all agree to give each other a kiss on the forehead so nobody goes to bed with hard feelings.

#6735 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:09 AM

Oh, believe me. I've been on the business end of a Malazan Empire pile on (recent posters here doing their best to make me feel bad).

That said, most of you guys have seen and know that my mantra is: "Have fun and smile, kay?" and "Don't hate: instead hesitate (take a few breaths), then appreciate, congratulate, and then celebrate."

We all can acknowledge each other's happiness and victories, right? Regardless of our differences? #OneMalazanLove #Hugs #XOXOXOX

#6736 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

You make me sick!

#6737 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

The floggings will continue until consensus is achieved.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6738 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 09 May 2018 - 03:56 AM, said:

At the end of each day, no matter how heated it gets, we should all agree to give each other a kiss on the forehead so nobody goes to bed with hard feelings.

After a kiss from you on my forehead, my feelings won't be the only things that are hard.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 09 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

#6739 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 May 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

Lmao

See this is my problem. To my recollection BK has never actually written a reasoned or substantial defence for Trump by him. He has ignored a number of direct questions about stuff and not really explained why he has any kind of support. He's never condemned the bits which are horrendous and the only reason he ever gave for actually voting for Trump was some well rehearsed and slightly vague hatred about Hillary.

BK you state that you try to join in the debates but I've never actually seen you do that. How do you account for the many well documented and horrible things that Trump says/does? How do you marry those things up for the bits you say you like about Trump? What ARE the things you like about Trump? Why do you think that they are his doing? Do you realise he takes credit for many things that he's had little to do with? The harm he and his sycophants are doing far FAR outweighs any good (and honestly I don't think anything he has done is good...)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6740 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

https://www.cnbc.com...-prisoners.html

Trump winning in N Korea !

Attached File(s)

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

51 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users