• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6421 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Essentially the previous budget bill was just to buy time to talk about the budget. They thought they had a month.

Then they realized that these stupid-ass tax cuts more than doubled the 'borrow' spending the government was doing, and so it came upon these morons more quickly than they expected.

Meanwhile ol' Tangerine Mussolini has decided he's not going to sign anything that doesn't have a stupid-ass border wall.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6422 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

Goddamn. This man breaking down into his aging mothers lap and weeping breaks me. How can these assholes do this to people? How can they have no compassion at all?

https://www.cnn.com/...ntl1215PMVODtop

And this is barely the tip of the immigration-deportation iceberg....fucking Trump and the GOP.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6423 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

ICE are interested in the ethnic cleansing of the US, plain and simple. That's their goal, that's their MO. They arrested someone yesterday outside of their asylum interview!
https://www.facebook...155549373688152
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6424 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Trump admin wants to privatize and commercialize the International Space Station: https://www.washingt...ly-run-venture/

#6425 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

worry, on 11 February 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

Trump admin wants to privatize and commercialize the International Space Station: https://www.washingt...ly-run-venture/

Better tell those 4 other global space agencies that co-own it that their portions are not longer viable I guess?

The name "International" space station didn't clue him in? Gods, you can't fix President Stupid.

I'd also like to know how NASA removing funding from it, suddenly makes it available for private venture purchase?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6426 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Someone forgot he wasn't at a Klan rally and accidentally left the "Anglo-American" part in before "heritage" in his speech to the National Sheriff's Association.
https://www.cnn.com/...ment/index.html

(Hint: it's the Attorney General of the United States)

#6427 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

worry, on 12 February 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Someone forgot he wasn't at a Klan rally and accidentally left the "Anglo-American" part in before "heritage" in his speech to the National Sheriff's Association.

"Forgot he wasn't at a Klan rally" ... so you're saying that his use of the term "Angle-American law" is racially-motivated even though the very article you are linking as source says it isn't?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6428 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Yes.

#6429 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Isn't that kind of... silly? Like, does tephrochronology normally mean one thing, but whenever a racist geologist says it the word is granted a different, racist meaning?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6430 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Probably not, but 'phrenology' connotes something different when a racist sociologist evokes it than when, for instance, a critic of racial bias in sociology mentions it. I'm sure 'vaccine' means something different when Jenny McCarthy says it than when Dr. Vivek Murthy says it.

#6431 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

D, on 12 February 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

worry, on 12 February 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

"Forgot he wasn't at a Klan rally" ... so you're saying that his use of the term "Angle-American law" is racially-motivated even though the very article you are linking as source says it isn't?

The article never says that "Anglo-American heritage" isn't racially motivated.

It quotes someone from Trump's DOJ in defense of the DOJ's boss (which is basically worthless) and someone in 2016 saying the sheriffs originated in England.

Anglo-American Heritage = White heritage - just like Southern Heritage = White Supremacy

Anglo-American Law: Common law which originated in England and was exported to the US.

I think a proven racist talking about "the Anglo-American heritage of the sheriff's office" to the sheriffs in question can be considered dog-whistling at the least. Considering that there is a real problem with racist law enforcement officers in the US as well ...

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 13 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#6432 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

Ah, I see. I didn't read/listen carefully enough and didn't realize he had said it that way.

#6433 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

D, on 13 February 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ah, I see. I didn't read/listen carefully enough and didn't realize he had said it that way.

The default with Sessions should be that what he is saying and doing is racist. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. He is that racist and has been since the 1970s. He was considered too racist to be a judge in 1980s Alabama - by his fellow Alabamans and by the federal government. That is an achievement that doesn't just go away or get better. And he hasn't gotten better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6434 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

amphibian, on 13 February 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

The default with Sessions should be that what he is saying and doing is racist. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. He is that racist and has been since the 1970s. He was considered too racist to be a judge in 1980s Alabama - by his fellow Alabamans and by the federal government. That is an achievement that doesn't just go away or get better. And he hasn't gotten better.

If that's the case why wouldn't he have just said "white heritage" ?

#6435 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

D, on 13 February 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Do attorneys ever say something in plain speech if they don't absolutely have to?

Sessions may be a racist, but he's not a stupid one.

#6436 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

So it sounds like Buzzfeed is doubling down on the insistence that they can prove that the Russian piss tape is real. They are being sued for defamation, and are maintaining that they are not worried because you can't defame someone with the "truth".

I'm not sure a blogger "news" (gossip) site like Buzzfeed would be doubling down like this in the face of legal woes if they didn't have some proof. I highly doubt that they are calling Trumps's bluff...to whit, the tape sounds more real each day.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

#6437 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

JPK, on 13 February 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Do attorneys ever say something in plain speech if they don't absolutely have to?

If anything, I would say attorneys and other legal professionals use extremely specific terminology that means only one thing as often as possible. But as per up-thread, Jeff Sessions is only able to speak as a racist, he's no longer a part of the legal industry/structure, so he can't do that and it deosn't matter.

#6438 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

I personally think it requires extreme benefit of the doubt to allow that Sessions diverged from the text of his speech, evoking America's long, central (not incidental) history of law enforcement-as-white-dominance of which Sessions his been a proactive true believer in for his entire career, on accident because he's also a linguistic trivia buff.

But let's say I don't appreciate nuance or multi-facetedness. I am a paranoiac who grasps at straws because I already suspect Sessions, and I see demons where there are none because it conveniently suits my narrative. I'm biased, I've blinders on, I have tunnel vision. AG Jeff Sessions, in front of a responsive crowd and feeling it, just wanted to show off his legal etymology bona fides off the cuff.

It's all possible, so best case scenario granted. This is the upshot: https://www.themarsh...law-enforcement

#6439 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Also the pee tape is real.

#6440 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

D, on 13 February 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

JPK, on 13 February 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

If anything, I would say attorneys and other legal professionals use extremely specific terminology that means only one thing as often as possible. But as per up-thread, Jeff Sessions is only able to speak as a racist, he's no longer a part of the legal industry/structure, so he can't do that and it deosn't matter.

No. You'd be wrong. Attorneys are built and trained to be able to argue every point imaginable, which means painting yourself into a corner by using simple terminology, prior to a trial, is not normal.

Legalese is hard to parse for a reason.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

166 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 166 guests, 0 anonymous users