• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6301 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

I get what's being said back and forth here, I think the distinction on APTS last post there is the view that all jews are greedy grasping etc is an antisemitic view, and would be more relevant if we were talking about someone using a derogatory term for Jewish people (is yid the term?)
Whereas Tiste is saying (in his view) a redneck is someone who ticks the boxes he listed, not saying all people from certain states are rednecks. So Tiste is using the term redneck to describe people he views as racists. However accurate this is, well that's up for debate but I think it's a case of people over here not understanding how loosely the term redneck is bandied about in the states as an insult and so Morgys right, we'll just file it in the unmentionable box.

In my head that post made sense
TLDR apts post was a bit of a straw man, but let's just bury the word and be done with it

#6302 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Well for one it's not racism because it is not applying it to a race. Yes it's a bit derogatory and insulting but I never denied that. I've always thought redneck was a catch all for ignorant backwards racists, as Macros said. Yes it is a term that is often applied to the South of the US but it doesn't necessarily mean that (I know some people in California I might consider to be a bit redneck).

You'll also note I have never called BK a redneck. His assertion that is as bad as the "n" word is false. His claim that it is racist is false. Calling a majority of Trump fans rednecks because they are ignorant, backwards racists is, from what I can tell, accurate. Why BK wants to throw his lot in with them I don't know.

I disagree in the strongest terms with his choice to vote for Trump but he isn't like most of them in that he's mostly willing to talk about stuff, has shown that he does put thought into his words (possibly with the exception of his love for the Bachelorette but that's a whole other story...)

I don't really get why Apt brought the Jews into it. Anti semitism is just another form of racism, I never stated otherwise.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6303 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

N****r and Redneck are not in the same category. Not by any metric. But that doesn't mean we can't show a friend the courtesy of not using a word he clearly finds disagreeable.

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 02:50 PM
Reason for edit: Edited for common decency.

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6304 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

If it hadn't been for... :)

#6305 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Ha, cotton eye Joe came into my head yesterday as well on this thread.
I love the next play list after that, Apache Indian and the baha men, it's like being 12 again

#6306 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Context is weird... most prairie province Canadians i know claim 'redneck' with pride.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6307 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

We have Redneck Games here in the U.S. that is a lot of fun. We have comedians where it is a prominent part of their act/brand. We have television shows (Here Comes Honey Boo Boo / Duck Dynasty) that embrace it. Google "Redneck Festivals" and you will see various results that one can travel too for a good time. Google "N-word (I won't say it or type it) Festivals" and see if you get anything.

I understand that it can be offensive to someone but it in no way is equivalent to the n word, or any of the pejoratives used against Hispanic / Latino individuals.

It's not a southern U.S. thing either. My grandfather was a farmer and was considered a redneck and he had a farm in Pennsylvania. He was proud of the connotation that working hard in the field to feed family and community gave him a red neck from being in the sun all day.

#6308 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

FFS.

It offends a fellow forum member people. That's enough for me not to use it here. We are all supposed to be friends of some sort. If one friend says "please don't use that term, it bothers me", I'm going to try to never use it.

I don't care about the comparison to other words. The word itself can be seen/felt as derogatory, and there is no reason to use it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6309 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

QuickTidal, on 10 January 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

It offends a fellow forum member people. That's enough for me not to use it here. We are all supposed to be friends of some sort. If one friend says "please don't use that term, it bothers me", I'm going to try to never use it.

Bottom line... This^.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6310 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I don't think that anyone is challenging it just to offend and I for one will definitely avoid the term. But there does seem to be some legitimate confusion on the interpretation of the term which seems a valid point for discussion, surely.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6311 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

This must be a regional thing. If someone called me a h****y I'd laugh. I've been called a c****er to my face before. I've been called a redneck many times, used it for myself and where I grew up many times. Hell in Tennessee I was called a Yankee as a pejorative. Redneck here, Yankee there... okay? Confusing.

My main point is that it isn't the equivalent and it is a false equivalency.

But, I won't use it again on this forum.

Also, Apt: That was purposefully written that way to ape said 4channers and T_D members.

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6312 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

I find it deeply problematic that some of you guys assume BK has particular 'ownership' of the word 'redneck', that he has special insight into when and how other people say it, just cuz he's from the South. Very patronizing and perhaps even bigoted. Frankly, you should all be ashamed.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6313 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Worry, can you please explain that? It sounds innocuous but I'm unsure who you are calling out.

Anyways, what are the odds that Trump actually goes one on one with Mueller? Dollars to donuts it is zero chance.

This post has been edited by H. D.: 10 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6314 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

I'm afraid on this one I'm gonna have to refuse to explain myself, except to say, I'm calling everybody out, once and for all. But innocuously. You got that part right.

On the other issue, do you think he can get away with just signing a written general "I did not collude" denial though? And I know the pres has broader powers than most people, but how can he get away with literally telling the GOP to hamper the investigation?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6315 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

worry, on 10 January 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

I find it deeply problematic that some of you guys assume BK has particular 'ownership' of the word 'redneck', that he has special insight into when and how other people say it, just cuz he's from the South. Very patronizing and perhaps even bigoted. Frankly, you should all be ashamed.

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't assume that my neighbours have some sort of "ownership" or "special insight" into the word "ch**k" and how other people say it, just because they're from Vietnam. I should keep on using it despite their protests until a *qualified* person tells me to stop. /s :)

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6316 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

No, I don't. Feinstein finally put the boot to obstruction by the GOP and I hope fellows follow. This went from bipartisan to a terrible place the minute people got indicted and started pleading. They are scared as hell.

#6317 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

D, on 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't assume that my neighbours have some sort of "ownership" or "special insight" into the word "ch**k" and how other people say it, just because they're from Vietnam. I should keep on using it despite their protests until a *qualified* person tells me to stop. /s :)

See when people tell me that I am a pot growing hippy who lives in the mountains just cause I am from oregon. I tell them no my parent are. Because you have to draw the line somewhere. And just because I am from oregon doesn't mean that I grew pot. Just because I lived in the mountains doesn't mean that I married my sister. I don't have one so the joke is on you. Ha
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6318 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

You are using words with no comparison to extreme racial prejudice and can't tell the difference?

#6319 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

H. D., on 10 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

You are using words with no comparison to extreme racial prejudice and can't tell the difference?

The thing that you're not seeing here H.D. is that there is a racial prejudice involved with "Redneck" as well. Seriously, go google the word and look at what comes up for images. Every one of them features a dirty white person in ragged clothing with fucked up hair and teeth. No, it doesn't have the same tragic history as several of the other words that have come up throughout this conversation, but it's difficult to deny that it exists. But go ahead, keep insisting that this racism isn't as important as other racism, keep ignoring it, and nursing that impression that their issues don't matter because I'm pretty sure we've seen how it turns out when someone comes along and manipulates the "despicables" into thinking they've got their best interests at mind.

#6320 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Trump sent ICE after 7-11 in biggest crackdown of his administration so far. 98 stores hit nationwide that corralled 21 people. Not a lot for the effort, time and $$ spent on the operation.
He seriously can't believe that regular Americans are going to fill the open jobs at 7-11 if every illegal is removed. And why 7-11 anyway. I don't recall them hiring a lot of "bad hombres" from south of the border.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

66 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 66 guests, 0 anonymous users