• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6161 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostCause, on 13 December 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Now that he has lost what will become of the charges that he had sex with underage kids? Does he face a real threat of prosecution? Has anyone been able to authenticate the charges. Its good that he lost but that should not be the end,

I believe that there's a statute of limitations and that charges were never going to be brought regardless.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6162 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 13 December 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Now that he has lost what will become of the charges that he had sex with underage kids? Does he face a real threat of prosecution? Has anyone been able to authenticate the charges. Its good that he lost but that should not be the end,

I believe that there's a statute of limitations and that charges were never going to be brought regardless.

How certain is his guilt then? Have any journalists or such found damning evidence?

#6163 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostCause, on 13 December 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 13 December 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

How certain is his guilt then? Have any journalists or such found damning evidence?

You mean legal guilt, right? Because it's possible to be absolutely guilty and never get convicted.

Anyway, I haven't followed this as close as I would have liked, but I think there's a number of witnesses and allegations from people who don't know each other and all that.

#6164 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

http://youtu.be/zfyEhAc7K_I

I was disappointed Moore even got close.
Then I watched this and just wonder about people's mentality in general

#6165 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 December 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

For example a black man may have to go to a neighboring county, stand in a line for a whole day at the DMV, and pay 80$ for a driver's licence to vote, even though he neither has a car to drive, 80 bucks to pay, or a day to waste.

I'm curious. Does the UN or what ever international agencies like it, monitor American elections? That kind of shit sounds like third world government strategies.

#6166 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 13 December 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

For example a black man may have to go to a neighboring county, stand in a line for a whole day at the DMV, and pay 80$ for a driver's licence to vote, even though he neither has a car to drive, 80 bucks to pay, or a day to waste.

I'm curious. Does the UN or what ever international agencies like it, monitor American elections? That kind of shit sounds like third world government strategies.

I rather doubt it, but it mirrors a thought I've had from time to time when I hear about American voter suppression.

#6167 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 13 December 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'm not sure to what level or anything, but the DMV closures have actually partially been rolled back since these shenanigans occurred in 2015, and they extended the hours of the existing ones in Alabama. Not saying that it's now super easy for people to get ID to vote now...but it sounds like the dickensian lengths that they initially went to to try to prevent POC of voting, has at least partially fixed since 2015.

It's a start. And hopefully it helped get Jones the win here.

I still think it's entirely nuts that this kind of suppression shit happens or happened...it's just so foreign to me in Canada.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6168 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

This is also an important takeaway from last night.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6169 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Yes, agreed. I actually edited my fb post to include this aspect. As a white male, I figured I needed to denounce those of my heritage, skin color, and gender. Here is what I wrote:

I still find it incredible that I could care this much about a special election for a Senate seat in a state I have never visited and only have passing connection to through some awesome Alabama friends I know.

Congratulations to Alabama for preventing such a depraved Pharisee from taking office.

To the evangelicals who supported Moore, shame. You always ask what Jesus would do. In this case, he would have wept.

**EDIT (see explanation in comments):
To the WHITE PEOPLE who voted in droves for Moore despite what he said, including his denigration of homosexuals, his comments that only the first 10 amendments should be kept and the rest thrown away (which includes outlawing slavery, women's right to vote, black's right to vote), and his horrible religious intolerance in a country THAT WAS FOUNDED on religious freedom, I say this:

Leave our country.

The immigrants that have come since America's founding deserve this country far more than you. You have forgotten the foundations of our nation and spit on the founders who ultimately gave you a country founded on inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If that is not what you believe, find somewhere else better suited to your shriveled up sense of equality and decency.

Other races, and more specifically in this situation blacks, are not second class citizens. I shouldn't have to say this, but they are equals as both American citizens and as human beings. Those of you who treat them otherwise because of skin color are the lesser human beings.

And finally, as a WHITE MALE, let me put this simply to my caucasian associates (I will never call you brothers and wish I did not share heritage with you): women are equal to me. Not lesser, not toys, not weaker or stupider or less deserving. EQUAL. So for you who think it is ok to put a man in office who wishes the right for women to vote to go away and treats women around him in keeping with these beliefs, please go to hell you pigs. I am sick and tired of being appalled of those who share my roots and represent my gender.

To the Republican leaders who decried Moore and then renegged on their stance in the name of party, I hope your lies and moral depravity dog you until the end of your days. And I hope that if you cannot feel shame, at least you will feel ostracized for what you truly are. I am ashamed that you represent my country.

And finally, to all those who support Trump and the Republicans leadership backing Moore, take a hard look at yourselves and those you endorse. If you dislike Democrats, fine. If you want to stay conservative, ok. But if you fail to decry, if not oust, this batch of scum leading your party, I am ashamed of you as well.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#6170 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

I often wonder if a lot of these folks like Moore and his fans have forgotten that Jesus himself wasn't white...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6171 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

HOW DARE YOU!

#6172 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

That whole "leave our country" thing always confuses me. I mean, I know why rightwing nutjobs want liberal leaning folks to leave and I guess they don't care where they go. But when it's left-wingers telling right-wingers to leave the country, where do you want them to go? What other country would you inflict these assholes on?

I can tell you one thing, they sure as hell ain't welcome here!

#6173 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Antarctica is a nice place for them. Noone to persecute down there.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#6174 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 13 December 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Antarctica is a nice place for them. Noone to persecute down there.

I doubt that the people who live in antarctica would want them either. Russia would probably welcome them though.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6175 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

The moon

#6176 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

Read it.

https://www.quora.co...k-31?srid=u6kAZ
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6177 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

View PostVengeance, on 13 December 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Trust a UofT grad to nail satire like that. :D

#6178 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

Two "next issue" things this election leads into: 1) the question of whether the vote on the tax bill will be postponed for Doug Jones (just as an example, Dems waited for Scott Brown to be sworn in before voting on the ACA). The likelihood seems to be 0. McConnell is the least beholden to process or etiquette Senate leader in modern history. And Alabama is gonna take its sweet time certifying the win (ie not til after Christmas). Our only hope, and it's slim but not 0, is that the House and the Senate are irreconcilable.

2) Who's next? The face on the next target seems to be Ted Cruz. Nobody likes him, including his own constituents (his approval is LOWER than Moore's), but he's the incumbent R and free of scandal, so it's gonna be tough regardless. His challenger is gonna be Congressman Beto O'Rourke, so at least he'll have a legislative record, local name recognition, and he's pro-pot so maybe he'll get the Yung Libertarian vote? I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but if he learns how to Dougie in time for 2018 that'd be a miracle victory.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6179 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Wait! Did he seriously suggest taking away the amendments that ended slavery and gave black people and women the right to vote? Did he know whether was saying?

That's.... that's amazing

#6180 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:25 PM

He said getting rid of all our amendments after 10 (ie the bill of rights) would "eliminate many problems" and what he meant by that was exactly what it sounds like.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

84 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 84 guests, 0 anonymous users