• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5261 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

QuickTidal, on 02 June 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Actually Nicaragua has a fair reason for not being a part of it. They feel the accords aren't strict ENOUGH on dealing with climate change. So they are technically still on the right side of the issue...they just don't think it's good enough.

That seems like rather warped logic. Surely nothing is stopping them from doing more than the agreement states. It's not like they would go 'guys, we are cutting our emissions another 10% above the recommended level' and then Luxembourg and Tuvala would object 'you cannot do that, it puts us all to shame. Screw your holier-than-thou mentality'.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5262 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Gorefest, on 02 June 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 02 June 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Actually Nicaragua has a fair reason for not being a part of it. They feel the accords aren't strict ENOUGH on dealing with climate change. So they are technically still on the right side of the issue...they just don't think it's good enough.

That seems like rather warped logic. Surely nothing is stopping them from doing more than the agreement states. It's not like they would go 'guys, we are cutting our emissions another 10% above the recommended level' and then Luxembourg and Tuvala would object 'you cannot do that, it puts us all to shame. Screw your holier-than-thou mentality'.

Still technically on the right side though, and I would imagine that this means they are doing their own thing. But I don't know for sure.

I just think they stand in a better place that the US or Syria who just think that "nothing is happening" scientifically.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5263 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

You guys might have read this already, but DJT did say he was gonna follow the four year exit plan from the accord.
via Nature.com:
"The mechanics of the US exit are complicated. The terms of the Paris agreement prevent the United States from withdrawing from the pact for four years, which means that the final word on US participation would not come before November 2020 — around the time of the next presidential election."
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5264 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

QuickTidal, on 02 June 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

I just think they stand in a better place that the US or Syria who just think that "nothing is happening" scientifically.

Syria never had a chance to sign the agreement because by that point their civil war was in full blow and due to international sanctions they were unable to send anyone to the negotiations. So, not knowing what they would've said/done/signed and thus getting the benefit of the doubt, as of now, the US is technically the only nation that's wilfully being stupid.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5265 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

If you wanna talk stupid, this decision might have come down to that Macron deliberately overshaking Trump's hand.
https://theweek.com/...ssive-handshake

#5266 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Oh dear gods, Trump, seriously. The content of his tweets is reaching dementia levels.

First his run-ins with London mayor Sadiq Khan.

Khan said in a TV interview in response to the London attacks that there was no reason to be alarmed about increased armed police presence on the streets that day. The literal quote: "My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today. You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this. We are the safest global city in the world."

Trump's Twitter response was to take the phrase "no reason to be alarmed" completely out of context: "At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!"

And when Khan's spokesman said that the mayor had more important things to do than respond to Trump's ill-informed tweet, Trump tweets: "PAthetic excuse by London mayor Sadiq Khan who has to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!"

FFS, seriously.

Then this second Trump tweet: "Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!"

Not even sure where to begin with that one. Is he seriously suggesting that there wouldn't have been issues in London if every pedestrian in the area had been armed? It doesn't even occur to him that if guns would have been as easy to access in the UK as they are in the USA, the bloodbath in Manchester and London could have been of a whole new magnitude? Just look at the Bataclan situation in Paris and be thankful that there is such a strict gun control system in place here. Trump is a total lunatic. This man should not be trusted with a matchstick, let alone a country.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5267 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

Agreed with all of the above.

The guy is not only damaging the 4th Estate every time he opens his yap, but his incompetence in not understanding these things at a fundamental grade school level...just shows he's literally your cranky grandpa who believes every wacked out conspiracy theory out there.

I'm HONESTLY surprised he doesn't have Alex Jones on his payroll by now...because he's reaching those levels.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5268 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

I can't say how much real damage he is doing. You can't really measure political capital. Yet in the last week I have seem him flames by the president of Canada, Germany, France and the mayors of London and Pitsburg.

To see presidents openly knock him is bad enough. For him to someone be engaged in slugging matches with mayors is amazing. At least to me.

Maybe it happened to Obama. I can't recall an instance.when he ended up duking it out so far below his weight class.

#5269 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Cause, on 05 June 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

I can't say how much real damage he is doing. You can't really measure political capital. Yet in the last week I have seem him flames by the president of Canada, Germany, France and the mayors of London and Pitsburg.

To see presidents openly knock him is bad enough. For him to someone be engaged in slugging matches with mayors is amazing. At least to me.

Maybe it happened to Obama. I can't recall an instance.when he ended up duking it out so far below his weight class.

Obama never bother to hit below his weight class. He would make fun of people like trump all the time. But he didn't engage in tit for tats with mayors or sheriffs. He did get into it with Fox News. Mainly because they are fucking insane.

He was the President of the United States why bother with mayors dealing with local issues when he is dealing with global issues. Trump is a 5 yr old playing at President.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#5270 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

Trump has legitimized the term "Fake news". He's done irreparable damage to the faith America, and by proxy the rest of the world, has in news media and journalists. He has effectively severed the only way the ordinary citizen has of getting unbiased "Non-spin" representation of politics.

For this alone, Trump and everyone connected to him should be tried as enemies of the people and have their fucking heads chopped off in a Guillotine.

#5271 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

QuickTidal, on 05 June 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'm HONESTLY surprised he doesn't have Alex Jones on his payroll by now...because he's reaching those levels.

They don't need Jones on the payroll because they have Breitbart anyway. And if you heard about the recent 'ethics waivers' granted by Trump, one was for Steve Bannon to have an open channel with Breitbart. Not that he wasn't talking to them all the time anyway, but now it's officially sanctioned.

Plus, uh, in terms of Jones -- the White House is in fact linking to Infowars in official press releases: http://www.dailymail...ss-release.html

#5272 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

The Intercept published a story today about documents leaked to them about the NSA's investigation into election hacking (including the hacking of at least one election software company): https://theintercept...2016-election/.

The DOJ has arrested the suspected leaker, a contractor, whose name is -- no joke -- Reality Winner.

I think we might be living in someone's fictional content, like one of the later volumes in the series after they've lost steam and started phoning it in.

#5273 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

worry, on 05 June 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

The Intercept published a story today about documents leaked to them about the NSA's investigation into election hacking (including the hacking of at least one election software company): https://theintercept...2016-election/.

The DOJ has arrested the suspected leaker, a contractor, whose name is -- no joke -- Reality Winner.

I think we might be living in someone's fictional content, like one of the later volumes in the series after they've lost steam and started phoning it in.

This book needs a better editor.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#5274 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Apparently the arms deal with Saudi Arabia wasn't a deal at all, but more like the drafting of a wishlist with absolutely no legal contracts ever created. Like it was all show.
https://www.brooking...a-is-fake-news/

This also reminds me of the "privatization" of air traffic controllers that was supposed to happen yesterday, but also turned out to be a "wishlist" type thing with no binding power. They are just keeping this guy's deteriorating mind busy, like they did with Reagan, but everything is more transparent (due to leakers and just the general advance of transparency whether the gov wants it or not).

#5275 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

worry, on 06 June 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Apparently the arms deal with Saudi Arabia wasn't a deal at all, but more like the drafting of a wishlist with absolutely no legal contracts ever created. Like it was all show.
https://www.brooking...a-is-fake-news/

This also reminds me of the "privatization" of air traffic controllers that was supposed to happen yesterday, but also turned out to be a "wishlist" type thing with no binding power. They are just keeping this guy's deteriorating mind busy, like they did with Reagan, but everything is more transparent (due to leakers and just the general advance of transparency whether the gov wants it or not).

And god bless those who're keeping him busy with this shit. At least he isn't starting new wars.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5276 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

He still might, though, over Twitter.

#5277 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

Like today he just took a bunch of the credit for the recent shunning of Qatar by its neighbors. Meanwhile...
http://www.cnn.com/2...isis/index.html

FIRST ON CNN: US suspects Russian hackers planted fake news behind Qatar crisis

#5278 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

What if Trump is secretly the sole person behind all of the "Russian hackers"? What if he is...the hackmaster? 🤔 🤔

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 06 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

#5279 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

That would be so much more interesting than the dimwit mob-adjacent con man with a fizzling brain he is. He ruined his own son's charity work for cancer kids, just to open up another avenue to launder money and rake in a few extra $100k a year: https://www.forbes.c...o-his-business/

#5280 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

In the highly contested Georgia 6th district special election, the Republican actually nails the difference between "liberals" and "conservatives":

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

197 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 197 guests, 0 anonymous users