• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4781 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

You'll pry my passwords from my cold dead hands!

Actually password. I only use one. But, it's "Strong", so I got that going for me.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4782 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

I don't think I can remember my facebook password...Is that a problem?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4783 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

Primateus, on 10 February 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Probably not as big a problem as the digital sticky note on my laptop that contains all my passwords by site. Including banks, credit cards, work email, etc.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4784 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

HoosierDaddy, on 10 February 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

You'll pry my passwords from my cold dead hands!

Actually password. I only use one. But, it's "Strong", so I got that going for me.

I don't know why you need a bunch of sticky notes when your password is "Strong" at least through in a number or a bang!

I use last pass. So I can honestly say I have no fucking idea what any password is. :doh:

Also not on facebook.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4785 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Something of an aside, but if you're into lengthy, fairly academic explorations of political figures, this is a good one. It's an in-depth look at Milo, how he fits in the alt-right landscape, historical precedents, where he stands alone, more general gay/fascism intersections in history, etc.

Like I said, it's fairly lengthy, but if you need a good read during a lunch break or something: http://bostonreview....thetics-fascism
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4786 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Primateus, on 10 February 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Nah... according to various 'Border Security' reality shows that happens all the time and the officers are totally cool with it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4787 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

My dog ate my password.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Trump may not appeal to the Supreme Court after all: http://thehill.com/h...o-supreme-court

Regarding undocumented people though, the big raids are already starting: https://www.washingt...efe5_story.html
Obama was bad, but Trump is looking to be much worse, a return to the nightmares of the 80s.

ICE agents had raided homes, and were “not just detaining individuals they are looking for ... but in fact, taking anyone else in the community, or in these homes who does not have immigration status at the moment, or who is not able to prove citizenship,” Barrientos said. In some cities, activists said that ICE had set up roadside or neighborhood checkpoints, where ICE agents, often in unmarked cars, appeared to be asking people at random for proof of citizenship or identification.

#4789 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

I don''t know half my passwords. Chrome knows my passwords.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4790 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

Briar King, on 11 February 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

I can't remember my YouTube or FB passwords that I just redid to input in my shiny new IPhone 7.

Why are we talking about passwords here? Did I miss something?

See QT's post above: #5181

Also, there is running joke that the WH Press Secretary Sean Spicer has accidentally tweeted out some of his passwords.

About QT's post, I'm guessing if you're registered with http://www.farmersonly.com/, you are good to enter the country.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 11 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

#4791 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

The password stuff isn't hypothetical, btw: http://www.torontosu...denied-us-entry

#4792 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

death rattle, on 11 February 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

The password stuff isn't hypothetical, btw: http://www.torontosu...denied-us-entry

The (Canadian)people that put up with this sort of treatment confound me. If they need to fingerprint and interrogate me in order to let me inside their country ... well fuck them. Why would anyone tolerate that sort of behavior when they are already somewhere better?

For those fleeing from Syria, I can see why this sort of vetting might be necessary and why a person might be willing to go through it. For Canadians, I cannot see it at all.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4793 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

It's very disturbing.

Sure, entry to the USA when you aren't a legal resident is a privilege and not a right. Border Services is allowed a huge amount of discretion in who they let in, but they still have to be systematic and reasonably consistent. You still have to be able to be able to explain your reasoning and defend your decision, or else what do we need you for? Haphazardly applying the rules always leads to shoddy results, meaning that you aren't actually helping with national security, no matter what you think you are doing. In this case, they say he didn't have a visa, but you don't need a visa to get in from Canada. Just a passport, and his passport is valid. So on the surface, it's sloppy, which is a problem all by itself.

What's chilling is this: the first set of sisters we heard of were Moroccan-born, this guy was Canadian-born. Brown and Muslim, but Canadian born and bred. That means that they aren't even pretending to use country of origin as an excuse. They are using race and religion, which the 5hrs of questioning proves, in case there was any doubt. If this is how quickly things have escalated at the border, what the heck is going on inside the borders? It started with anti-immigrant rhetoric, but you knew if you didn't put a stop to this, that this was going to happen. If you were wondering how soon they will be going after natural-born US citizens who happened to have the "undesirable" parentage, I think answer is, "not long now." Remember, the President is a guy who has gone on record saying that he thought that the Japanese Internment was a good idea.

So yeah, this is happening - Refugees hiking across the border from US to Canada
It's Manitoba in February. Apparently, this has been going on for a while, but since November, the numbers have been going up and up. As far as I'm concerned, if they can survive the journey, they deserve to stay. I really can't fault them for trying to get the hell out of Somalia OR the US. It's what I would do, if I were brave enough. They've already faced some of the worst winter conditions and earned their Canadian Winter Cred. I didn't earn mine until I was 22 years old and moved to Alberta for school, so hat's off to them. I also love how in the article, the MLA says that local people have been contacting his office with "safety" concerns. And you'd think, given how public sentiment has been in the news, that they would be worried about increased crime or terrorism. But in the next sentence, you learn that they are afraid that people will freeze to death on the journey.

Also, I am not going to the US anytime soon. The border situation is getting ridiculous. And the outright hostility is not worth it. My Facebook is mostly pictures of my sewing projects. They are welcome to look at my profile, but I refuse to give up my passwords just on principle. I really wanted to go to Hawaii again sometime. I've been talking about making a trip to Portland forever because I've been there twice and both times I was with people who were not nerdy to go with me to Powell's Books. I really want to take my son to the Smithsonian when he is old enough. I've never been, but I've dreamed about going there since I was a 13. None of that is happening now. I don't know what people who have to travel to the US for work are going to do, but there's no way this doesn't directly hurt all sorts of industries with the USA.

#4794 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

Una, you seem to be a pretty cool, pretty liberal person. Please realize that there are a lot of pretty cool, pretty NORMAL guys and gals in the US that don't like this at all either. Left and right there is discussion here.

I'm sorry if you've had a bad time. You shouldn't have.

The US is a country of immigrants. We are made stronger by inclusion.

The current administration will find this out eventually.

#4795 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

HoosierDaddy, on 11 February 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Una, you seem to be a pretty cool, pretty liberal person. Please realize that there are a lot of pretty cool, pretty NORMAL guys and gals in the US that don't like this at all either. Left and right there is discussion here.

I'm sorry if you've had a bad time. You shouldn't have.

The US is a country of immigrants. We are made stronger by inclusion.

The current administration will find this out eventually.

Thanks!

I think I would actually be classified as a Canadian moderate, which would translate to a US Super Pinko Lefty Commie. The whole country skews centre. The joke is that Canadians as a people, when forced to make a decision, will always choose firmly to sit on the fence. You have to realise that even conservatives here have always had single payer healthcare and fully expect it from their government, so scale accordingly.

I know that there are people in the US who are not completely crazy. I've met some. I have cousins down there. I just won't be visiting them while this is going on. God help us, maybe it will be over soon and our 2 countries can resume normal relations.

Unfortunately, as with most things, the leadership sets the tone, and right now, that tone has me very, very concerned. I was saying to my SO that after the election, we could plan a trip to Portland because it was too scary during the election, what with all the racist crap going on. Yeah...that's not happening anymore. With all the badness happening at the border, it's just not worth the headache. They probably won't let me in anyways. They are literally asking people what they think about Trump and I would definitely fail that test. i can't say his name without shaking my head. I am scared for people who are living in the US. I know that there are some of you who are not fascists because we can see the protests on the news here. However, I do not share your optimism that the current administration will suddenly start to see reason and figure out that inclusion is the way to go. They've gone full 1984. I really hope that those of you who can see what is happening have the fortitude to fight this, because even power-hungry wannabe dictators do not go down without a fight. Also, the President is stupid and easily manipulated, so you've got a bunch of figures with their own shady agendas jockeying to get close to him. Those types like to set up their own little networks of influence. If you let them get established, they will foil any attempt at change. Fight for your democracy. I will be watching and hoping for you, but as a foreign national, there's not much room for me to help.

#4796 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

We have socialized medicine for the poor and elderly. People just don't like to think of that in that terminology.

We'll be fine. It's been 3 weeks and the administration is already falling apart.

I think Portland is probably the MOST Canada-lite portion of the country, lol. You should go.

#4797 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

Just caught up with this thread after moving and finally getting my interwebz back. Some truly unsettling stuff and quite depressing when binge-read. :)

I have decided that from now on whenever I read/see anything about Trump I will have Metallica's "Leper Messiah" playing in my head. Probably could apply to most politicians or televangelists though. :p

Spineless from the start, sucked into the part
Circus comes to town, you play the lead clown
Please, please
Spreading his disease, living by his story
Knees, knees
Falling to your knees, suffer for his glory
You will

Time for lust, time for lie
Time to kiss your life goodbye
Send me money, send me green
Heaven you will meet
Make a contribution
And you'll get a better seat
Bow to Leper Messiah

Marvel at his tricks, need your Sunday fix
Blind devotion came, rotting your brain
Chain, chain
Join the endless chain
Taken by his glamour
Fame, Fame
Infection is the game, stinking drunk with power
We see

Heaven you will meet
Make a contribution
Bow to Leper Messiah

Witchery, weakening
Sees the sheep are gathering
Set the trap, hypnotize
Now you follow

Heaven you will meet
Make a contribution

Lie
Lie
Lie
Lie
Lie
Lie
Lie
Lie

EDIT: kinda makes me think of Nostradamus and the plain of Meggido :doh:

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 11 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4798 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

Apology accepted for being gone, Captain Needa.

#4799 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

An intimate and not often seen look into Trump's White House.

#4800 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

That was pretty good. I feel like all the activism -- both against Trump's policies and at congressional town halls -- has been beautiful, but w/ Trump specifically the aim has to be emasculating him. You're never going to win a policy disagreement with Trump or his minions (including civilians, those Friends of Friends on Facebook or whatever), because they don't actually care. None of this is principled. You can cite any number of sources and the replies will be "fake news!" or something similarly deluded, rooted in simple primate hierarchy tiers (and btw, Assad has started using the "fake news" line too, specifically in response to the mass prisoner hangings). I know a lot of you are logical people who like making reasoned arguments, but frankly, if you're up against someone who earnestly uses words like "cuck" or "libtard" ( whether it's someone you know or DJT's own personal lawyer, for instance: https://twitter.com/...810505183776768) your goal shouldn't be to reason with them, but to humiliate them. For having so much faith, so much confidence in an incompetent president, a grifter who's making a fool out of them and himself.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

97 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 97 guests, 0 anonymous users