• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4681 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

QuickTidal, on 01 February 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Serious question, would the general masses ALLOW the US to turn into a Dictatorship?

Also, My PM continues to be awesome...and took on FOX News leaving a spurious and utterly false tweet up about the shooting in Quebec....after being contacted by letter form his office, FOX New balked and deleted the tweet.

Not to detract from the appropriateness of the move, but calling Fox News out on an obvious error was fish-in-the-barrel easy.

JT's real challenge is going to be when he sits down w Trump and has to have a coherent discussion about trade, borders and 'Canadian values'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4682 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Abyss, on 01 February 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Serious question, would the general masses ALLOW the US to turn into a Dictatorship?

Also, My PM continues to be awesome...and took on FOX News leaving a spurious and utterly false tweet up about the shooting in Quebec....after being contacted by letter form his office, FOX New balked and deleted the tweet.

Not to detract from the appropriateness of the move, but calling Fox News out on an obvious error was fish-in-the-barrel easy.

Oh for sure...I just didn't think Fox News would be okay bringing it down. I was more impressed by that. It's also nice to know that Trudeau is not even going to let the little Trump-misinformation stuff slide.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4683 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

QuickTidal, on 01 February 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Abyss, on 01 February 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Oh for sure...I just didn't think Fox News would be okay bringing it down. I was more impressed by that. It's also nice to know that Trudeau is not even going to let the little Trump-misinformation stuff slide.

That was Fox, not the US gov, and Fox isn't stupid enough to not backtrack on something so factually wrong and inconsequential to their nonsense in any event.

I'm not saying it wasn't the right thing for the PMO to do, but it's getting played in some places like JT himself stood up to President Cheeto and that's just not even close to the reality.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4684 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

Abyss, on 01 February 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

President Cheeto

It ain't easy being demagogue-ly cheesy.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4685 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

QuickTidal, on 01 February 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

Abyss, on 01 February 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

President Cheeto

It ain't easy being demagogue-ly cheesy.

He's the cheesiest! Great color. Huge crunch. Only truly great consumers eat him. The best consumers, really.

*sniff

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 01 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4686 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Huge. It's true.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4687 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

Query: Is nominating a Constitutional originalist -- as bad as it is for almost every attempt at progress we may want to make as a country -- a self-defeating move for an aspiring dictator?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4688 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

Oddly enough, no. If the originalist has his way (they are almost always dudes), then there is basically zero protection against a dictatorial government that isn't violent revolution. It is extremely dumb sounding, but that's exactly what an aspiring dictator would want.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4689 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Well that's....dispiriting. Especially since it's pretty much explicitly what Steve Bannon seeks (a white Judeo-Christian capitalist revolution). My more pessimistic hunch was that originalists simply help with the legal guideposting for dictators, because otherwise they have such a hands-off approach to "preserving" the republic. In other words, they'll let the country die on principle if the citizenry isn't engage enough to prevent it.

#4690 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

I like the Supreme Court nominee, someone who is a strict constitutionalist ... Nice!!

Trump should go after term limits next and drain the swamp. He could easily set it at age right ?...so he could stack the Supreme Court with a bunch of different people that are strict constitutionalist's and level the playing field with politics. A bunch of young idealistic Supreme Court nominees sounds like a great thing for the republic really...

I see him going long on this angle.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4691 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

https://www.theguard...flynn-on-notice

*Stream of profanities*

Are they crazy or just incompetent? This has made me have a weird feeling in the pit of stomach.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4692 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

So much for being the antiwar President, huh?

@Nico, here's what he meant by "drain the swamp": https://twitter.com/...909247527059457
JUST IN: House approves resolution killing SEC requirement for oil, gas, mining companies to disclose payments to foreign governments

The swamp is America, and they'll drain it of all possible resources. And by the way, if America's the swamp, what do you think they consider you?
Here's a hint (it's what they'll leave us): http://www.godanrive...a19ffcd0f0.html

#4693 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

EmperorMagus, on 01 February 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

*Stream of profanities*

Are they crazy or just incompetent? This has made me have a weird feeling in the pit of stomach.

That's dissapointing I was thinking that working with Russia in the business sense would have offered a bonding of a two state solution on the Middle East.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4694 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

Nicodimas, on 01 February 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

I like the Supreme Court nominee, someone who is a strict constitutionalist ... Nice!!

Trump should go after term limits next and drain the swamp. He could easily set it at age right ?...so he could stack the Supreme Court with a bunch of different people that are strict constitutionalist's and level the playing field with politics. A bunch of young idealistic Supreme Court nominees sounds like a great thing for the republic really...

1. You're messing with bringing out an amendment to article 3 at that point. They are for life barring impeachment.

2. You're anti-government libertarian, correct? You do realize the right to privacy is a judicially interpretive right that doesn't exist in the Constitution?

3. He's doing anything BUT draining the swamp. It's billionaires, Goldman Sachs, and CEO's in his cabinet. If you thought corruption was a problem in the past, well have fun.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4695 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

death rattle, on 01 February 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

Death will be a constant.
http://www.fox2detro...232856168-story

Not ignoring that Obama rained down death daily on foreign countries, and HRC likely wouldn't have curtailed it, but Trump's doing that too. The drone strikes continue. And then of course there was that raid:
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2960256

It's looking like the story on the mother was another hoax. Their Imam said she died 5 days prior, still waiting on confirmation by her son so who knows.

http://www.fox2detro...233053942-story

#4696 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

Holy hell.

#4697 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

It's the same source correcting itself, so that's just a shame if it was untrue (and not even a relief, since his mother still died, and the EO did result in like 5 year olds being handcuffed and such). What a mess.

On another note, the white nationalist element of Trump's admin got some good reporting lately (and not in the local news story kind of way):

1) Trump wants to focus on Islamic extremism, at the expense of combating other kinds of extremism:
http://www.reuters.c...v-idUSKBN15G5VO

1A) Which is a pretty clever way of saying white supremacists have nothing to fear. Btw the FBI has been keeping tabs on white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement across the nation:
https://theintercept...aw-enforcement/

2) There are TWO Trump advisors named Stephen with white supremacist sympathies. So maybe Bannon's the biggest problem, but he ain't the only problem:
http://www.motherjon...ite-nationalist

2A) Stephen Miller has outright denied his ties to neo-Nazi Richard Spencer, but they're sound:
https://electronicin...richard-spencer

#4698 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:19 AM

Can you explain what the "swamp" is to you?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4699 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

EmperorMagus, on 01 February 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

*Stream of profanities*

Jeez Louise! He's also apparently antagonizing Australia: https://www.washingt...e05d_story.html

and Mexico: http://www.businessi...eatening-2017-2

#4700 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

HoosierDaddy, on 01 February 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

1. You're messing with bringing out an amendment to article 3 at that point. They are for life barring impeachment.

2. You're anti-government libertarian, correct? You do realize the right to privacy is a judicially interpretive right that doesn't exist in the Constitution?

3. He's doing anything BUT draining the swamp. It's billionaires, Goldman Sachs, and CEO's in his cabinet. If you thought corruption was a problem in the past, well have fun.

amphibian, on 02 February 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

Can you explain what the "swamp" is to you?

2) I would argue: I'm sliding into liberalism <or approaching it>. I believe in a middle of line federal government, that remembers the Constitution is it's bible. I believe in government these day's, with state-hoods having more and the federal having less. I think that was the intent that states could check the federal in line, but that's a old old argument. I believe in the federal government keeping out of business, except to punish. Of course if we really wanted to describe this as a X/Y graph in terms of politics...in reality there is a Z tangent too. Socially they should stick out of our lives as religion again is a person choice.... (I think it's really quite frankly personal insecurity if I force my beliefs on others). On the flip-side, government education should produce a strong worker and critical thinking American. Not one that seemingly lives off it's system, seemingly empowering it, which is a such path of misery. We should definitely smash the rackets of government and capitalistic institutions. Liberalism was supposed to be about making sure to go after active ongoing change, seeing what occurred and finding the better and more efficient systems right?? It's We The People! It should be about us versus them, not the federal government as central, the corporations the powerful and us fighting over the scraps. Also we really got to hold people accountable, powerful people, the seemingly untouchable. The interest has been one of the greatest things for civilization, it allows us to share, collude and exchange a great vast amount of information and perception. At our own peril, we should be careful not to become some sort of hive-mind and let mere politic's divide us. Ultimately, reality is a lot more complicated them some tag-line and each person should know where they stand on the issues then merely agreeing with Team A, or Team B.

The Swamp: The global cabal (current globalists/the corruption/whatever you call it). ..Maybe my idealism/utopian-ism, but I am really jaded today. I'm not so much Anti-government these days, but anti-leader...like why do we have to empower these element's. Ever just think back and sit there and realize probably a total of thirty people could just melt the world if they wanted too. I want all the powerful leaders always squabbling for power based off we the people perception and we the people being given the best chance to succeed by the corporations. Whatever enables that..let's aim for that.

I can't be the only one that thinks Trump could be a prime spot. Like really through business interest's <capitalism> we could link up with Russia so easily. Through business he could usher in a profit sharing plan that most politicians might not be able to do for fear of the party politics this could initiate. It would dispel decades of policy and a step closer to peace <from the main holders of nukes>. Equally, more important in dealing business in cold hard money they could go into the middle east and rebuild...The swamp are those that let keeping power to themselve stand in the way of progress. I imagine it's way more complicated that I can picture and navigating this would be a huge undertaking.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

141 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 141 guests, 0 anonymous users