#4501 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 January 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Nato comments have to hurt him.

In what way? His core support won't care what NATO members say, surely? It's the same mentality as we have here about letting in refugees. Why should we pay for other people when we can only afford to put food on the table, heat our homes, keep clothes on our backs, send our kids to school and receive free healthcare?

Unless ego plays a big part and his support enjoy feeling like the US keeps the world from falling apart (which in the case of Russia it does but the nuance may be lost).

Sorry, that was assumption. What reason for other nation's protests? Serious question.

That he's an affront to womankind and typifies everything that is wrong in the developed world (plus a whole load of stuff that is wrong in the emerging nations due to being an 80s throwback twat). And while we're at it let's just be pissed off about how if you are planning on abusing and holding down 50% of humanity then anyone from a smaller minority might as well roll over now. The US exports a vision of global leadership and you just disappointed a fucktonne of people.

I just watched the new Independence Day so I'm feeling patriotic for a nation that isn't my own and angry that it was allowed to shit on a classic.

And two more things (yes I have been drinking):
1. Melania looks terrified.
2. Trump has a mouth that looks like he's permanently ready to suck someone off.

Edit to add - apologies for using the word "you" because I find it really offensive when people say that the UK voted for Brexit. I DAMN WELL DID NOT.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 21 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4502 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 January 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 January 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Nato comments have to hurt him.

In what way? His core support won't care what NATO members say, surely? It's the same mentality as we have here about letting in refugees. Why should we pay for other people when we can only afford to put food on the table, heat our homes, keep clothes on our backs, send our kids to school and receive free healthcare?

Unless ego plays a big part and his support enjoy feeling like the US keeps the world from falling apart (which in the case of Russia it does but the nuance may be lost).

Sorry, that was assumption. What reason for other nation's protests? Serious question.

That he's an affront to womankind and typifies everything that is wrong in the developed world (plus a whole load of stuff that is wrong in the emerging nations due to being an 80s throwback twat). And while we're at it let's just be pissed off about how if you are planning on abusing and holding down 50% of humanity then anyone from a smaller minority might as well roll over now. The US exports a vision of global leadership and you just disappointed a fucktonne of people.

I just watched the new Independence Day so I'm feeling patriotic for a nation that isn't my own and angry that it was allowed to shit on a classic.

And two more things (yes I have been drinking):
1. Melania looks terrified.
2. Trump has a mouth that looks like he's permanently ready to suck someone off.

Edit to add - apologies for using the word "you" because I find it really offensive when people say that the UK voted for Brexit. I DAMN WELL DID NOT.

That's the Michael Bay effect, generally laughed at, lol.

I don't disagree with anything, but didn't think it bothered others who didn't have to deal with it. He assuredly has a misogynistic flair: he even owns it.

With the amount of people on this forum who shit on the US (sometimes rightfully), it's interesting to see. Just curious.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4503 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

Generally it's because no one *wants* to see the US fail. Most of my criticism at least is due to the US doing things that actively hurt itself or the rest of the world. I imagine most of the international protesters are the same - they don't want the situation in the US to get worse, or be replicated elsewhere. It's a solidarity thing, too.

Basically, just because you criticise a country and hate some of the stupid ass things it does (like electing Trump), doesn't mean you don't support that country and its people, or the good things they do.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4504 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

http://money.cnn.com...ment/index.html

Sweet Mary mother of god, the level of whining.

The guy is so incompetent, I could have gave the same talk better.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4505 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 22 January 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4506 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:20 AM

Fantastic use of resources there on Day 2, some real good governing going on!
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4507 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 January 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

With the amount of people on this forum who shit on the US (sometimes rightfully), it's interesting to see. Just curious.

I think people mainly shit on the US because the US has painted a big target on its back by espousing that it is the leader of the free world. And it is but once you are up there you deserve to be criticised for every indiscretion. You are an awesome country. Especially around the edges. Anti-Trump is also a broad church where can you protest about a lot of stuff. He's so wrong on his attitude to women, climate change, immigrants, race, demagogues, truth, evidence. The future looks genuinely scary for all of us with him in the White House. He's an ape.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4508 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostSilencer, on 22 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

Generally it's because no one *wants* to see the US fail. Most of my criticism at least is due to the US doing things that actively hurt itself or the rest of the world. I imagine most of the international protesters are the same - they don't want the situation in the US to get worse, or be replicated elsewhere. It's a solidarity thing, too.

Basically, just because you criticise a country and hate some of the stupid ass things it does (like electing Trump), doesn't mean you don't support that country and its people, or the good things they do.

Indeed, none of us wants the US to fail. We, pardon my language, fucking need the US! And if the US goes belly up, so does the rest of us. This means economically, culturally, militarily, whateverly! Fuck! (Again, pardon my language) Russia is practically at the gates and this asshole who now resides part time in the white house states outright that he wasn't sure if the US would honor the NATO agreement. What the actual fuck? (again, pardon my etc.)

Pretty much no one outside the US agrees that the United States of America is the greatest country in the world, for a variety of factually correct reasons. But pretty much all of us agree that it is our greatest ally! And now, the new president has openly questioned whether it should remain that way.

We shall wait and see. But there's really no other way of putting it but saying that Donald Trump should not been elected!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4509 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

One of my favourite political commentators, about the inauguration...

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4510 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 22 January 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

In response, we have this;

Chuck Todd v. Kellyann Conway
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4511 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 22 January 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

In response, we have this;

Chuck Todd v. Kellyann Conway

I think I'm going to start every post I make about Trump administration with "Sweet Mary mother of God ..."

Although credit where credit is due, Kellyanne Conway is Goebbels levels of good. She lies through her teeth and makes you question the existence of truth, reality, and everything else.

I think my blood pressure is going to go through the roof by next week and not come down for 4 years.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4512 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

I'm glad to see Chuck Todd doing that. By the end of this first year he might become a journalist.

WaPo had a good -- I won't say call to arms -- but maybe wake-up call is a good term for it, regarding the Spicer press conference and the Conway/MTP thing: https://www.washingt...09ba_story.html

The gist is that this weekend reinforces The Press as Enemy #1 for the Trump admin, and instead of fighting fire with fire they need to fight fire with actual, true blue journalism. They can't rely on the admin (or govt at large) to present a fair case even of their side -- #AlternativeFacts -- so journalists are gonna have to reinvest in the hard work of fleshing out a news story. This is long overdue, of course, and should have been going on w/ every admin, but this is clearly the most dangerous one by far.

#4513 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 22 January 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm glad to see Chuck Todd doing that. By the end of this first year he might become a journalist.

WaPo had a good -- I won't say call to arms -- but maybe wake-up call is a good term for it, regarding the Spicer press conference and the Conway/MTP thing: https://www.washingt...09ba_story.html

The gist is that this weekend reinforces The Press as Enemy #1 for the Trump admin, and instead of fighting fire with fire they need to fight fire with actual, true blue journalism. They can't rely on the admin (or govt at large) to present a fair case even of their side -- #AlternativeFacts -- so journalists are gonna have to reinvest in the hard work of fleshing out a news story. This is long overdue, of course, and should have been going on w/ every admin, but this is clearly the most dangerous one by far.

I'll be so excited if real journalism comes back, specifically investigative journalism. Over the last 2 administration's news and journalism as become more opinion vs opinion. One side vs the other for 2 minutes of screaming then a 5 minute editorial from the host followed by 2 more people talking over each other. It's even gone into my escape from politics, sports. ESPN's First Take might be the worst show on television, followed by whatever network that gasbag Skip Bayless went to for his show.

#4514 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 January 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

That's the Michael Bay effect, generally laughed at, lol.

I don't disagree with anything, but didn't think it bothered others who didn't have to deal with it. He assuredly has a misogynistic flair: he even owns it.

HD, I disagree with a lot of the things that the US government does and I think that the world be a lot better if no one country wielded as much power as US currently does (and China is going to have in a few decades.)

That doesn't mean I want millions of people in the US deprived of their rights and discriminated against. It doesn't mean I like the possibility that all the rights people have fought for in the US being taken away by a demagogue.

Furthermore, just because I dislike the US gvmt and think their policies are imperialistic and hypocritical it doesn't mean I want innocents dying (ACA) or (god forbid) nuclear holocaust.

DJT is unhinged and he should not be wielding any power whatsoever. Now that he is president, it's the duty of everyone who disagree with him to do as much as possible to reduce his power and stop him doing harm.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4515 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

So looks like Jerusalem embassy move is actually in the works:

https://www.google.c...T?client=safari
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4516 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

Another interesting development - Wikileaks calls for someone to leak Trump's tax returns: https://www.theguard...re_iOSApp_Other

#4517 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 22 January 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 22 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

Indeed, none of us wants the US to fail. We, pardon my language, fucking need the US! And if the US goes belly up, so does the rest of us. This means economically, culturally, militarily, whateverly! Fuck! (Again, pardon my language) Russia is practically at the gates and this asshole who now resides part time in the white house states outright that he wasn't sure if the US would honor the NATO agreement. What the actual fuck? (again, pardon my etc.)

Pretty much no one outside the US agrees that the United States of America is the greatest country in the world, for a variety of factually correct reasons. But pretty much all of us agree that it is our greatest ally! And now, the new president has openly questioned whether it should remain that way.

We shall wait and see. But there's really no other way of putting it but saying that Donald Trump should not been elected!

Russia is frightening because it has a modernized military, a largely indoctrinated population that believes it is at war with the West and a leader who sees the USSR's subject nations as 'his'. It also has an economy that is equal in size to that of Italy. The long term strategy is fairly simple and it has been working since George W. Bush saw his attempts at working with Russia disappear in a cloud of smoke: contain it, enrich its neighbours (and pull them into our economic sphere of influence), eventually watching it implode.

Unfortunately, the European NATO members have been almost exclusively relying on the US for the military part of containment. And that is squarely on us where it concerns conventional warfare (nuclear is different, I guess). When Ukranian 'freedom fighters' coughlittlegreenmencough somehow manage to functionally operate artillery batteries and form tank brigades, maybe we should have invested in a couple of modern armored regiments ourselves?

Trump is going to go America First. I doubt he'll let Putin invade NATO members (if only because that goes against his alpha male/ strong man image), but it does seem likely that Trump will try and use the US military as a bargaining chip against the EU, because essentially, that is all he has that we don't have (read: want to afford) ourselves.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#4518 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

Trump just made TPP irrelevant, for which I'm thankful.

He also put a freeze and all US Federal employee salaries, and any new hiring. I'm sure that will turn out just fiiiiiine. Someone on reddit mentioned that the National Park Board hires a ton of seasonal employees each year to put up with the demand.

He stopped all funding to international organizations that provide abortion services, I don't know the significance of this one.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 23 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4519 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 23 January 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

He stopped all funding to international organizations that provide abortion services, I don't the significance of this one.

It's one of those gross things that hobbles certain organizations for not being strictly "Pro Life" even though the $$ is never used for abortions anyway -- similar to how Rs treat Planned Parenthood domestically -- but it's not a strictly Trump move. Reagan did it (Bush 1 kept it), then Clinton stopped it, then GWB did it again, then Obama stopped it again, now Trump is doing it again -- so it's become a partisan issue because neocons find it useful to keep getting that Evangelical support. If it says anything about Trump it's just that he's willing to play that same old game after all.

#4520 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

The TPP thing is that actually a good move? I've not read/understood enough to grasp it but it never seemed like a good idea so this might be one of the things he does that actually makes sense?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

47 User(s) are reading this topic