• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4141 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Rebecca Berg @rebeccagberg Trump announces Steve Bannon as Chief Strategist & Senior Counselor, and Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff - "equal partners," release notes
------------------------------------------------------------------

So is Reince Priebus the name you think of when Trump says "drain the swamp" -- is he anti-establishment? Or is he the ultimate slimy business-as-usual Republican hack?
Is Bannon the name you think of when Trump says "Make America Great Again" -- is he the face of economic anxiety, "bringing jobs back"? Or is he now America's official racism czar, a spokesman for our minority-scapegoating anti-Semitic white nationalist population?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4142 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:46 PM

What position will the KKK foreman get?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4143 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

They literally don't need one. Steve Bannon shares their views and has a lot more juice.

#4144 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:39 AM

From the WSJ article on the Priebus/Bannon picks:

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term. After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

Aside from all the awfulness around the corner, this is also just so weird.

#4145 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:41 AM

death rattle, on 14 November 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama's term. After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

Obama actually has to give tutorial classes to Donald. This is utterly hilarious.

Maybe he should charge for those classes. Trump would

#4146 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:55 AM

Andorion, on 14 November 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

death rattle, on 14 November 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama's term. After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

Obama actually has to give tutorial classes to Donald. This is utterly hilarious.

Maybe he should charge for those classes. Trump would

https://en.wikipedia...of_Barack_Obama

Yeah..sounds confusing as hell.

The Bush administration reportedly went out of its way to make the transition as seamless as possible for the incoming administration, earning accolades from Obama staff members and outside experts alike. According to nearly all accounts, the Bush administration streamlined the process for new officials to obtain security clearances and planned training exercises for the incoming national security team, to ensure that they would be ready to face a possible crisis on the first day in office. Part of this enhanced cooperation is required by laws passed at the behest of the 9/11 Commission, while part is attributed to the difficulty that the Bush administration had with its own transition, which lasted only five weeks and was felt to have had a deleterious effect on Bush's ability to govern. "I'm not sure I've ever seen an outgoing administration work as hard at saying the right thing", said Stephen Hess of the Brookings Institution. "This is really quite memorable."[18]

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4147 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

In non-presidential disgusting news, Keith Ellison has been getting a little traction to become head of the DNC (which would be pretty sweet imo) and the smears have already started. See if you can tell the difference between what is in the subtitle and what is actually being said: https://twitter.com/...300756591906816

#4148 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:27 AM

death rattle, on 15 November 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

In non-presidential disgusting news, Keith Ellison has been getting a little traction to become head of the DNC (which would be pretty sweet imo) and the smears have already started. See if you can tell the difference between what is in the subtitle and what is actually being said: https://twitter.com/...300756591906816

Wait what the fuck?

He is just saying that 9/11 was used as an excuse for invasion. Which is pretty accurate. I don't know why they felt the need to edit that video and insert bullshit subtitles.

He is saying "who benefited from 9/11". English is my third language (fourth if you count Arabic) and I can hear what he is saying just fine ...

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 15 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4149 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:14 AM

I responded to that post but it appears to have gotten eaten somehow (maybe I included too much media and didn't notice). Suffice to say Ellison is a rising popular progressive, is black, and is the first Muslim elected to Congress, and in all three represents a threat that they want to nip in the bud.

I also posted excerpts from this article, which goes in on how the election is what it looks like, in terms of racial tension. It doesn't downplay the complexities of voting Trump, but knows thick veins of racism run through nearly all of them: http://www.nytimes.c...-iowa-race.html

I'll quote some pertinent parts in text instead of as a picture, which is probably smarter anyway:

Douglas never mentioned race, but polls including a recent one of Trump supporters have shown that white Americans’ support for entitlement programs declines if they think black people are benefiting. And the longer Douglas talked, the more she revealed other reasons she had voted for Trump.When Obama was elected, she hoped he would “bridge race relations, to help people in the middle of Iowa” see that black people “are decent hardworking people who want the same things that we want.” She said people in rural Iowa often don’t know many black people and unfairly stereotype them. But Obama really turned her off when after a vigilante killed a black teenager named Trayvon Martin, he said the boy could have been his son. She felt as if Obama was choosing a side in the racial divide, stirring up tensions.

What’s missing from the American conversation on race is the fact that people don’t have to hate black people or Muslims or Latinos to be uncomfortable with them, to be suspicious of them, to fear their ascension as an upheaval of the natural order of things. A smart demagogue plays to those fears under the guise of economic anxieties. Things not as good as you hoped? These folks are the reason. Kelley, the historian, said white Americans have ignored race when it serves them and defaulted to it when it suits them. “We think of interest as an objective thing that floats above, but it is subjective,” he said. “Race always plays a role. It never disappears.”

Lastly, this one is new: a rundown of the actual transition effort for the day.

Posted Image

Along with what is going on with Jared Kushner: http://www.motherjon...n-jared-kushner

#4150 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:32 AM

#4151 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:02 AM

Wow, a little surprised this came up so quickly. Citing the Japanese internment as "precedent" for Muslim registry: http://mediamatters....registry/214509

This post has been edited by death rattle: 17 November 2016 - 04:09 AM

#4152 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:27 AM

Megyn Kelly has never been more attractive.

That being said: This thing is already in place for visitors, let alone immigrants. It's called the TSA. No fly lists absolutely discriminate on where you are coming from.

What is there else to do other than a blanket ban?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4153 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:31 AM

Have them wear a patch on the shoulder to identify themselves to everyone else. For their protection of course.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4154 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:33 AM

That's the risk you take when as a nation you transition from "I don't know much about policy, so I will vote for somebody who does" to "I don't know much about policy, and I will vote for someone just like me in that regard".

#4155 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

Posts 4504 and 4505 are just so awful. Yugely awful. Terrible even. Worst of posts. The worst.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4156 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Sorry. For the record though I was reacting to your post, not doubling down on Venge's gallows humor. That said, I think it's born of real fear and not something we should easily toss aside w/ Godwin's Law. Reminded me of this sharp Tweetstorm from yesterday, on how fascists increase their power by gradually testing what people are willing to accept: https://storify.com/...-testing-people

Where I have hope is that I think there's a big enough group of people who care, enough that we won't fail the tests.

#4157 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

death rattle, on 17 November 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Sorry. For the record though I was reacting to your post, not doubling down on Venge's gallows humor. That said, I think it's born of real fear and not something we should easily toss aside w/ Godwin's Law. Reminded me of this sharp Tweetstorm from yesterday, on how fascists increase their power by gradually testing what people are willing to accept: https://storify.com/...-testing-people

Where I have hope is that I think there's a big enough group of people who care, enough that we won't fail the tests.

It is possible for fear to be both real and unwarranted at the same time.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4158 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:51 AM

Whatcha you all think

One more year of America??
https://market-ticke...www?post=231661

Or is it all a bunch of fear mongering:

https://market-ticke...www?post=231561

Is this it...did American place itself inside a year of simple math???
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4159 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:39 AM

death rattle, on 17 November 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

My sarcasm meter must be on the high end. Obvious joke.

Nicodimas, on 17 November 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Whatcha you all think

One more year of America??
https://market-ticke...www?post=231661

Or is it all a bunch of fear mongering:

https://market-ticke...www?post=231561

Is this it...did American place itself inside a year of simple math???

Please never use that site ever again. It embarrasses you and our site if it's taken legitimately.

#4160 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

That site is like a time capsule from the 90s. Is it hosted by geocities?

I would be more interested in that guys numbers if he actually provided sources.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

83 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 83 guests, 0 anonymous users