• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#14221 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:25 PM

amphibian, on 06 July 2024 - 09:53 PM, said:

No candidate in the last 80 years has been switched out this late.

We also have Biden *closing* the polling gaps lately. https://www.bloomber...ter-debate-poll

There's an actual strategy here that's led to Biden getting this type of shit from big media companies - he goes to local media almost all the time for his appearances and events. It's combined with a comms team that is not experienced enough to navigate him well with big media people - who are often in the tank for Trump.

Just to be clear---you were kidding about the New York Times leadership "being in the tank" for Trump, right? You don't seriously think they're trying to get him reelected?

Anyway, that's just one poll. It's directly contradicted by the CBS and OpenLabs post-debate swing state polls. (And indirectly contradicted by the New York Times national poll.) The polling average clearly has Biden down substantially after the debate.

Trump leading Biden nationally and in swing states after debate, CBS News poll finds - CBS News

The Bloomberg poll you're referencing was the first Bloomberg poll after Trump's conviction. So it's not strong evidence of Biden doing better after the debate than he was in the weeks before it.

And even in the Bloomberg poll,

Of all the respondents across the seven swing states [...] only 17 percent thought Biden was mentally fit when thinking about the recent debate, while 49 percent thought Trump was.

Trump Gets Bad News in Swing States Despite Biden's Debate Performance - Newsweek

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 July 2024 - 10:25 PM

#14222 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2024 - 01:34 AM

Sulzberger is absolutely in the tank for Trump.

Things like the Tom Cotton op ed and the coverage/headlines are all things he directed and continues to do so.

The NY Times has hundreds of employees and isn't a monolith, but Sulzberger pulls a huge chunk of them to the right and into the Trump orbitals where he wants to be. Maggie Haberman was enabled to be Trump's uncritical mouthpiece by Sulzberger for years.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#14223 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 July 2024 - 06:39 PM

View Postamphibian, on 07 July 2024 - 01:34 AM, said:

Sulzberger is absolutely in the tank for Trump.
Things like the Tom Cotton op ed and the coverage/headlines are all things he directed and continues to do so.
The NY Times has hundreds of employees and isn't a monolith, but Sulzberger pulls a huge chunk of them to the right and into the Trump orbitals where he wants to be. Maggie Haberman was enabled to be Trump's uncritical mouthpiece by Sulzberger for years.

Tom Cotton's op-ed (as a US Senator) calling for martial law to put down riots during the George Floyd protests? Doesn't seem closely related to electing Trump. Publishing an op-ed is not the same as endorsing it. I read about this extensively and saw nothing about Sulzberger pushing for its publication, though he did initially defend the editorial staff's decision to publish it. See:

James Bennet, the Times' editorial-page editor, and James Dao, the op-ed editor, were committed to publishing heterodox views. [...] The Times had hired me to provide research for columnists and to solicit and edit newsy, against-the-grain op-eds. [...] Our mandate was to present readers with "intelligent discussion from all shades of opinion," as the founder of the modern New York Times, Adolph Ochs, put it in 1896. This meant publishing arguments that would challenge readers' assumptions, and perspectives that they may not otherwise encounter in their daily news diet.

Cotton's office pitched me an op-ed
Spoiler

I Was a Heretic at The New York Times - The Atlantic

The publisher, A.G. Sulzberger, who was about two years into the job, understood why we'd published the op-ed.
Spoiler

Less than three days later, [...] Sulzberger called me at home and, with an icy anger that still puzzles and saddens me, demanded my resignation.

When the New York Times lost its way (economist.com)

As for Maggie Haberman... author of Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America, who Donald Trump has called "a crooked H[illary] flunky" and "an unprofessional hack"... granted, "while giving her endless interviews". She hardly seems pro-Trump, though she almost certainly had to avoid being too overtly critical in order to get future interviews. Interviewing Trump doesn't make her his mouthpiece....

And during A. G. Sulzberger's tenure Trump sued the New York Times and has repeatedly railed against it (and of course continues to). They could be secretly conspiring together, but that seems very unlikely.

It seems much more likely that Sulzberger will be one of the target's of Trump's Justice Department, once he fills it with loyalists emboldened by the Supreme Court decision (which frees Trump from criminal liability for using his pardon power, as one of the core powers of the presidency that has absolute immunity).

There was a great guest op-ed in the NYT recently---by an organizational psychologist at Wharton:

There's a Name for the Trap Biden Faces

[...] escalation of commitment to a losing course of action. In the face of impending failure, extensive evidence shows, instead of rethinking our plans, we often double down on our decisions. It feels better to be a fighter than a quitter.

One of the tragedies of the human condition is that we use our big brains not to make rational decisions but rather to rationalize the decisions we've already made. [...] Some of the worst leadership decisions of our time can be traced to escalation of commitment. Many people lost their lives because American presidents pursued a futile war in Vietnam and continued searching for weapons of mass destruction that weren't in Iraq. [...]

[...] decades of research [...] have identified a few conditions that make people especially likely to persist on ill-fated paths. [...] It's striking that Mr. Biden's current situation checks all those boxes.

Opinion | There's a Name for the Trap Joe Biden Faces - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 July 2024 - 06:41 PM

#14224 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:02 PM

It's way too late to switch candidates now. The fact that it's even being raised is wild, unless he sacrificed a goat on stage. It's like the Dems are trying to lose.

#14225 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 July 2024 - 11:10 PM

View Postthe broken, on 07 July 2024 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's way too late to switch candidates now. The fact that it's even being raised is wild, unless he sacrificed a goat on stage. It's like the Dems are trying to lose.

It's too late not to, if we don't want Trump to win (probably too late, that is)... also, remember that the election isn't until November. Because unlike just about every sane country our election season lasts approximately forever.

#14226 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 08 July 2024 - 02:56 AM

At this point I feel like he’s got to go and fast. Even if he he hast to be called incompetent with Kamala being put in charge. I know the clock is running out, but we still have enough time to get a new candidate put forward that probably has a better shot against Trump and can lead the White House.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#14227 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 July 2024 - 09:52 PM

The Clooney has spoken. Biden just needs to admit that it’s over.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#14228 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 July 2024 - 11:35 PM

So someone took a shot at Trump and hit his ear..

Interested in finding out more in who took the shot…and missed.

Fair to say we’ve reached another level in the violence in the streets probability.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14229 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 July 2024 - 11:50 PM

HoosierDaddy, on 13 July 2024 - 11:35 PM, said:

Fair to say we've reached another level in the violence in the streets probability.

After he gets shot, as the Secret Service is trying to whisk him away, he tells them "wait, wait, wait," starts pumping his fist and making angry faces, and it looks like he's saying "fight, fight, fight".

Guess this will probably make it more difficult for Biden or President Harris to assassinate him now... if some random guy (now dead) could do it, military professionals probably would have done much better.

#14230 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 July 2024 - 01:16 AM

Anyone seen that 1988 miniseries Favourite Son with Harry Hamlin? Based on the book by Steve Sohmer.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#14231 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 July 2024 - 03:22 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 13 July 2024 - 11:35 PM, said:

Fair to say we’ve reached another level in the violence in the streets probability.

Guy was probably a lefty shooter and wasn't disciplined in his training for pull control.

Granted I'm basing this off this was 125 meters ..from a AR platform on a elevated position. Yikes. Somewhat heresay, but based off what I have read!. On the flip side what fudge was the SS doing letting someone jump atop a media unit and gain a elevated position in this manner. We should be concerned on that as political violence is a big no no ..let's the crazies out of the woodwork.A bunch of nopes there.

If you know ..you know. This was a flat shot from a modern rifle by all account. Trump provindence or whatever is so very lucky today. I feel bad for the victim of the shots that missed and the family that lost a family member today. So sad.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#14232 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:12 AM

Largely now lots of pics drops ...very very little about this makes sense. A couple out there that define belief too.

Confirmed 148 yards give or take.

Today I'm in the fact since he seems like a super pro 2nd amendment cat. He might have just lost his marbles and thought killing trump starts a civil war. However some of the screenshots...quite literally don't add and never will

(This t-shirt and belt tell me this as a note.) his gear are the same thing the annoying guys at my range wear so might be my point of view.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 14 July 2024 - 05:14 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#14233 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:13 AM

Should probably not hastily assign the wannabe hero as a righty tightie or lefty loosey just yet. Ed: oh maybe you meant left handed shooter..

As for his shots I’m sure his adrenaline was skyfuckinghigh plus I’m sure the thought of bullets flying his way beforehand were making him twitchy. However if Trump hadn’t turned his head when he did that would have been a head shot for sure.

Also unrelated but why is this site acting like 90’s dial up right now?

This post has been edited by Briar King: 14 July 2024 - 05:18 AM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#14234 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:16 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 July 2024 - 05:13 AM, said:

Should probably not hastily assign the wannabe hero as a righty tightie or lefty loosey just yet.

As for his shots I’m sure his adrenaline was skyfuckinghigh plus I’m sure the thought of bullets flying his way beforehand were making him twitchy. However if Trump hadn’t turned his head when he did that would have been a head shot for sure.

His gear was all right wing stuff. We know his name and quite literally tracked his content he absorbed.(That's kinda scary too!) I guess this could all be ..lies too.

Site giving me fits!

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 14 July 2024 - 05:17 AM

#14235 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:18 AM

I'm having a hard time with the distance and this pic . Most of this will be memory holed and lost so feel it's important to discuss.

Attached File(s)

#14236 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:19 AM

Sorry pics are loading weird.

However we have more information on this event that's probably never going to get good explanations. There's videos and pictures all over. We have the countersnipers reactions..the fact he got up to a elevated position as a SS fail as facts now. His name and info... Are all out there.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 14 July 2024 - 05:39 AM

#14237 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:24 AM

Anyhow don't usally post in this thread. Told I'm too honest and that's too dang depressing for some folks.

This is the shirt reference I mean. Obviously he could have bought gear to blend into a trump rally too.

Attached File(s)

#14238 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2024 - 05:27 AM

Lets see what we learn from this. I wonder how this plays out.

My thoughts are after the week Biden had appearing weak.. trump could appear very strong. Not too many people are fist bumping after getting missed by .223. Hah ! That's actually kinda crazy. Can't prove it as that's madness to say aloud. I'm jetting this thread ..(don't hate on me.) this whole scenario kinda changes Trumps view..and he just kinda profits from it..wild.

Edit: maybe I read to much fiction ..but this scenario makes very little sense. Hopefully just crazy people do crazy things as I think that all gives us solace in these events.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 14 July 2024 - 05:42 AM

#14239 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 July 2024 - 07:19 AM

Trump walks this election now

But as an aside, Nico, I don't think anyone has ever told that you are "too dang honest"

That's trump surviving a 40 cal to the chest level of "honesty " you are usually accussed of :killingme:

#14240 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 July 2024 - 07:39 AM

Gosh.

Is there enough electricity in the world to feed the conspiracy theory machines now?

No matter what the truth of this is, it's not going to be heard by those who are incapable of thinking rationally.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

27 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users