• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12421 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

I assumed there was at least one other officer behind him (filming the video) but not at first at least:

Posted Image

Daring a lynch mob to chase him, correctly guessing they couldn't resist the opportunity to chase after a lone Black officer. (The mob had been chanting 'hang Mike Pence'.) And he led them away from the Senate chambers right into a the Rotunda, where other officers were waiting.

He should be President Biden's first Medal of Freedom recipient.

'Once inside, they were bent on proving themselves fierce and intimidating—and they were those things. But when they got to the National Statuary Hall, on the second floor, where velvet ropes indicate the path that tourists must take, they immediately sorted themselves into a line and walked through it. [...] They were looking for someone to tell them what to do. Trump told them what to do. So did the velvet ropes.'

https://www.theatlan...on-ever/617623/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

#12422 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:20 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 January 2021 - 04:04 PM, said:

I assumed there was at least one other officer behind him (filming the video) but not at first at least:

Posted Image

Daring a lynch mob to chase him, correctly guessing they couldn't resist the opportunity to chase after a lone Black officer. (The mob had been chanting 'hang Mike Pence'.) And he led them away from the Senate chambers right into a the Rotunda, where other officers were waiting.

He should be President Biden's first Medal of Freedom recipient.

'Once inside, they were bent on proving themselves fierce and intimidating—and they were those things. But when they got to the National Statuary Hall, on the second floor, where velvet ropes indicate the path that tourists must take, they immediately sorted themselves into a line and walked through it. [...] They were looking for someone to tell them what to do. Trump told them what to do. So did the velvet ropes.'

https://www.theatlan...on-ever/617623/

I can’t help think this article is dangerous in its own way. It’s easy to imagine the mob of maga as nothing but deadbeat dads, slow learners, losers etc but I I think that makes it too easy to dismiss them. There was a female
Air Force veteran there, there was a state lawmaker in the crowd. It won’t help if we just mock them as the dregs of humanity.

These people have votes, they have agency. They are dangerous.

#12423 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

View PostCause, on 11 January 2021 - 04:20 PM, said:

I can't help think this article is dangerous in its own way. It's easy to imagine the mob of maga as nothing but deadbeat dads, slow learners, losers etc but I I think that makes it too easy to dismiss them. There was a female
Air Force veteran there, there was a state lawmaker in the crowd. It won't help if we just mock them as the dregs of humanity.

These people have votes, they have agency. They are dangerous.

'It's easy to think of the siege of the U.S. Capitol as a clown show with accidentally deadly consequences. A bunch of cosplaying self-styled patriots show up, overwhelm the incomprehensibly unprepared Capitol Police, and then throw a frat party in the rotunda. The miscreants smear shit on the walls and steal laptops and smoke weed in conference rooms. [Note: the ones stealing laptops may have been foreign intelligence. ...]

Those rioters, the bozos, were the ones who talked to the press, who waved gleefully to photographers, who selfied and streamed the entire afternoon, without even a thought that there might ever be consequences. They were doing it for the 'gram, and their story overwhelms the narrative because their faces and voices dominated the day.

But there were other rioters inside the Capitol, if you look at the images. And once you see them, it's impossible to look away. [...]

Call the zip ties by their correct name: The guys were carrying flex cuffs, the plastic double restraints often used by police in mass arrest situations. They walked through the Senate chamber with a sense of purpose. They were not dressed in silly costumes but kitted out in full paramilitary regalia: helmets, armor, camo, holsters with sidearms. At least one had a semi-automatic rifle and 11 Molotov cocktails. At least one, unlike nearly every other right-wing rioter photographed that day, wore a mask that obscured his face.

These are the same guys who, when the windows of the Capitol were broken and entry secured, went in first with what I'd call military-ish precision. They moved with purpose, to the offices of major figures like Nancy Pelosi and then to the Senate floor. What was that purpose? It wasn't to pose for photos. It was to use those flex cuffs on someone.'

https://slate.com/ne...ialflow_twitter

They were also surprisingly adept at scaling the walls....

I imagine more competent insurrectionists may have assumed that a direct attack on the Capitol would be almost certain to fail. But after seeing how close they seemed to come... the next attack may be much worse. Particularly if sympathetic Republican congresspeople---such as the QAnon congresswoman (Boebert) who tweeted 'Today is 1776' that morning and also tweeted to let them know that Pelosi had left the chamber---give them more specific details about the layout and defenses. (Hopefully Boebert and others will not be informed of new security measures. Or even given misleading information....)

https://www.rawstory...oebert-twitter/

'Any Washington-based foreign spy who was not in this crowd by the time they got removed from the Capitol deserves to be fired by their government

Countless rioters wandered the halls of government without supervision. Members of Congress and their staff were evacuated so quickly that computers were left on with windows open and unlocked. [...]

For the next 3½ hours, the Capitol Police basically watched it happen. They were embarrassingly outnumbered and arguably had no way to exert any meaningful degree of control over the matter. They prioritized protecting the members of Congress, but they obviously could not be everywhere.

After hours in which the rioters were being publicly encouraged to leave, and even told by the police to leave, an announcement was made that the invaders had been purged from the Capitol building and things were now safe again. This was exactly the wrong thing to do. Instead of chasing them out the door, the police should've locked the doors and arrested everyone inside. Not to punish them (although they definitely deserved it), but to discover who they were and what they were up to.

[...] Hundreds of people wandering around with their smartphone cameras capturing every detail of the building, whether they're publicly accessible or not. Hundreds of people, none of whom were searched, with direct access to electronics, computers, and networks.

It's a cybersecurity truism that if you have physical access to the machine, you own the machine. Applying that to computers with direct access to the congressional networks is terrifying.

[...] While an intruder would not be able to access classified material on any of those computers or the default shared resources, they would have access to basically all of the leadership's deliberative material, emails, employee personnel files, privileged files, and even protected whistleblower disclosures, and likely quick access to personal accounts the computer's owner has accessed while in the office such as banking or Amazon, which may default to logged in and using a password manager to make access easy (which would allow for future coercion). Most importantly, you do not need extended access to the computer if you came prepared; a USB drive surreptitiously stuck into a machine with malicious code on it is the least sophisticated of numerous possible options for a bad actor to maintain extended access and control long after they have nonchalantly walked out the front door. It can even be done by accessing networking hubs or even cables if you have the right tools.

This is not a hypothetical threat either. A laptop was stolen from the office of Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR), who sits on the powerful (and exceedingly relevant to foreign adversaries) Senate Appropriations and Foreign Relations Committees.

[...] Locating surreptitious devices that could be attached to any electronic device in the building is going to be a logistical nightmare orders of magnitude more complex than searching for incendiary devices. Add in the need to look for malicious code and it will be months before Congress can be truly safe again.'

https://www.thedaily...security-threat

What if Russian agents help them?... I doubt the US or the EU could do much more, especially if it's difficult to prove. Economic sanctions by the US and EU are already in place, but no one's going to risk military action. Lukewarm cyber-war maybe....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

#12424 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

'Parler has been removed from the internet [...]

Visitors will now only see error messages informing them that the technology underpinning the site is not working properly.

[...] Parler chief executive John Matze had suggested the outage could last a week but then posted on the site to inform users that it would likely be down longer than expected.

[...] "every vendor from text message services to email providers to our lawyers all ditched us too" [...]

[...] it is possible that the company will be able to find new hosting services – or even host its own website, as The Pirate Bay did when it was hunted across the internet'

https://www.independ...n-b1785290.html

... so Parler gets sold to Trump or (indirectly) Putin, using Russian servers to evade US laws... and comes back to order the mass uprisings / mass attacks on inauguration day (or slightly before...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

#12425 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

'[...] Twilio incidentally mentioned the databases Parler used to function.

Using that information, and due to the fact that Parler was using a T R I A L version of Okta's identity security software, hackers were able to get in, set up "millions" of administrator accounts, and download every single bit of data that has ever been posted to the site.

"Ever?" You say. "What about deleted posts?" you say.

Parler was kind enough to archive them. All of them.

As of this am, every single thing that's ever been said on Parler is available to the feds, along with photos of the poster's state issued ID.'

https://www.facebook...159346131386042

https://gizmodo.com/...aHBbcbJwNwM_wbc

Not clear if this would be admissible in court (or military court, for members of the military)....

'Army Probes Psy Ops Officer Who Led Group of 100 People to D.C. MAGA Riot'

https://www.thedaily...to-dc-maga-riot

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

#12426 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Making me happy - More and more of the assholes that attacked the capital building have been identified and are being arrested. Funny how some of them are whistling a different tune now that they realize serious criminal charges are waiting for them. The revolution will be televised. The dumbshit parade will be live streamed on Facebook.

Got me on edge / worried - The media talking about the things Trump could attempt prior to Jan. 20. Uh, news journalist guys? Lets not give him any ideas, ok?

#12427 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:07 PM

Apologies for the double post, but just seen this and not sure if it is true. Trump is going to speak today. Is that true? You guys hearing the same?

#12428 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 January 2021 - 08:07 PM, said:

Apologies for the double post, but just seen this and not sure if it is true. Trump is going to speak today. Is that true? You guys hearing the same?

I saw a live countdown I think on YouTube?

#12429 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Apparently evidence obtained through illegal hacking is inadmissible in court (even after it's been posted publicly), but I think anti-terrorism laws may still allow for indefinite detainment, for example at Guantanomo. Then again in the case of credible plots or threats the FBI should hopefully be able to find enough legal evidence to convict... but whether a jury would convict them without the hacked Parler evidence, or whether they would get inadequate sentences, is questionable.

The House plans to vote on impeachment Wednesday. McConnell has indicated he'll delay the Senate trial until the 19th. They might be able to get enough Republicans to vote to remove Trump on the morning of the 20th and bar him from holding future public office, though it still seems a little unlikely... unless his supporters launch another major attack before then, or terrorism succeeds in cowing Republican Senators....

https://www.vox.com/...nt-senate-trial

#12430 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

View PostCause, on 11 January 2021 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 January 2021 - 08:07 PM, said:

I saw a live countdown I think on YouTube?

care to sent a link here? region based algorithm

#12431 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:05 PM

'The FBI has received information indicating “armed protests” are being planned at all 50 state capitols and the US Capitol in Washington, DC, in the days leading up to President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration on Jan. 20, according to an internal bulletin obtained by CNN.

"Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January,” it says.'

https://www.cnn.com/...1-21/index.html

CNN said 8 hours 35 minutes ago that Trump may speak today, but I haven't been able to find any updates on that. Might be connected with: 'Trump is expected to award the Medal of Freedom to Rep. Jim Jordan, a Republican from Ohio, at the White House on Monday'.

#12432 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:07 PM

Am I right in thinking they've introduced the impeachment articles and have the votes for it? How does this work now, does anything actually happen or is it a thing that will stop him from running again in 4 years?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12433 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:18 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 January 2021 - 11:07 PM, said:

Am I right in thinking they've introduced the impeachment articles and have the votes for it? How does this work now, does anything actually happen or is it a thing that will stop him from running again in 4 years?

'House Majority Whip James Clyburn, D-S.C., told CNN on Sunday that the House may delay sending articles to the Senate until after Biden’s first 100 days in office. He worries the Senate spending time on a trial in the early days of the administration would hamper Biden’s early agenda[...]

By the time the Senate votes on impeachment, the chamber could be split 50-50 between Democrats and Republicans. While the chamber could not remove Trump from office at that point, it could prevent him from becoming president again if he tried to run in 2024.

If all Democrats vote to convict Trump, 17 Republicans would have to join them to meet the needed two-thirds threshold. It is unclear now if Democrats can muster that much GOP support.'

https://www.cnbc.com...tol-attack.html

Can the Senate vote to make the vote to convict anonymous? If they only need a simple majority, that seems feasible once Democrats have control of the Senate.

#12434 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:41 AM

The votes for impeachment are a bit complicated because there's a "we're checking for unanimous vote for impeachment" stage, which won't go through. After that, a vote will happen in which the Democrats vote it through (it already has 218 votes lined up for it). It then goes to the Senate, where the Chief Justice presides over a trial - yet that won't happen until Jan 19th at the earliest.

Biden is in on the 20th and there's a huge tension between getting the fuckers and passing the legislation needed to help the country.

It's likely Trump gets away after the second impeachment because a 2/3rds threshold for conviction is needed. Enough Senators are dumbasses that it won't happen even if it should.

Gerald Ford fucked us when he pardoned Nixon. Commentators have said he was right to do so for decades and look where that got us - Trump abusing the pardon, a bajillion people talking about healing through reconciliation etc.

Healing the country requires holding people accountable and for reparations to be made - not simply saying "you were bad, ok let's be friends now". Censure isn't enough.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12435 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

'On a private call Monday night, new leaders of the Capitol Police told House Democrats they were closely monitoring three separate plans that could pose serious threats to members of Congress as Washington prepares for Democrat Joe Biden's presidential inauguration on Jan. 20.

[...] Lawmakers were told that the plot to encircle the Capitol also included plans to surround the White House ― so that no one could harm Trump ― and the Supreme Court, simply to shut down the courts. The plan to surround the Capitol includes assassinating Democrats as well as Republicans who didn't support Trump's effort to overturn the election ― and allowing other Republicans to enter the building and control government.

[...] The Capitol Police have established a new perimeter with fencing and razor wire, and the National Guard has already been called in to help protect the Capitol and lawmakers.

But while Capitol Police assured members they were prepared for these terrorist plots, there was obvious concern from a number of lawmakers.

One topic of discussion was the need to put every member of Congress through a metal detector before the inauguration. A member on the call told HuffPost that there was an "eyes-wide-open realization" that Capitol Police needed to take precautions against "all these members who were in league with the insurrectionists who love to carry their guns."'

https://www.huffpost...5b691806c4bf199

'The sighting in Florida this week of a manatee with "Trump" in block letters on its back has prompted an investigation[...]

The Center for Biological Diversity said it was offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to a conviction "for the cruel and illegal mutilation" of a threatened manatee[...]

The Center for Biological Diversity initially described the writing as having been "carved" into the manatee's back and said it appeared to have caused "serious scarring." [...]

It was not immediately clear what was done to the manatee. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said that the manatee did not appear to be seriously injured "as it seems the word was written in algae on the animal's back." [Headed by a Trump appointee of course... no mention of whether they have actually examined the manatee.]

[...] “However this political graffiti was put on this manatee,” she added, “it’s a crime to interfere with these creatures, which are protected under multiple federal laws.”'

https://www.nytimes....atee-trump.html

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

#12436 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

'Chad Wolf, director of Dept. of Homeland Security — charged with securing inauguration — abruptly resigns

[...] attributed his decision to "recent events" and court rulings that have challenged the legality of his appointment by the Trump administration to run the department.

[...] Trump turned the department's focus toward the Mexico border and changed its primary mission from counterterrorism to immigration enforcement.

[...] Biden has named Alejandro Mayorkas[...] as his pick for the secretary role. The Cuba-born Mayorkas would be the first immigrant, and first Hispanic, to lead the DHS

[...] Wolf's qualifications to lead the DHS were often questioned by his critics. He was a lobbyist for the travel industry before joining the Trump administration and working as chief of staff for the Transportation Security Administration. When Trump made Nielsen DHS secretary, Wolf served as her chief of staff[...]

[...] Wolf became one of Trump's most loyal Cabinet members [...]

[...] lawmakers have called for hearings to question why Wolf and DHS failed to anticipate threats posed by Trump's followers [edit: I'm pretty sure they were aware of the threats; hopefully there is enough evidence to convict them of some sort of negligence at least] to Congress's electoral college certification on Wednesday.

In one of his final moves as acting secretary Monday, Wolf announced that the Secret Service would take over security preparations for the inauguration on Wednesday, six days ahead of schedule.

[...] An inauguration is already an all-hands-on-deck affair in Washington, with officers surveilling train stations, canine teams inspecting the inauguration route for explosives, countersnipers manning rooftops and police officers checking and securing manhole covers to prevent people from sneaking closer to the inaugural activities.

But the siege at the Capitol has put Secret Service planners and their federal partners in feverish reassessment mode to consider all of the ways they can mitigate anything like a repeat.

[...] "He has chosen to resign during a time of national crisis and when domestic terrorists may be planning additional attacks on our government," Thompson said in a statement. "Unlike others, he is apparently not leaving the Trump Administration on principle."

"The Trump Administration too often used the Department as a political weapon, left countless senior leadership positions vacant, and let morale suffer," Thompson added. "Our Homeland Security has diminished as a result."'

https://www.inquirer...s-20210112.html

'National Guard inauguration deployment: twice as large as troop levels in Afghanistan and Iraq combined

The Defense Department has authorized as many as 15,000 troops to be deployed to Washington, D.C., for the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

National Guard Bureau chief Gen. Daniel Hokanson said that there will initially be a deployment of 10,000 troops — an increase of about 4,000 from those in D.C. now.

[...] most Guard troops currently at the Capitol do not have the "green light" to wear body armor or helmets. Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, an Air National Guard veteran, died Thursday after rioters struck him in the head with a fire extinguisher.

The troops "are authorized to do law enforcement if that's requested from the supporting agency," said Hokanson. He stressed, though, that using Guard troops as law enforcement would be "literally...a last resort."

Asked whether the Guard was taking special measures to screen the deploying troops — many of whom are already on their way to D.C. — for extremist ties, Hokanson said he was "not aware of that at this time."'

https://www.military...Z54VPxNjVKPcRLU

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

#12437 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

That’s a very complicated way to resign and save face while trying to run for the hills before he gets tarred

#12438 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

Posted Image

Republican megadonor Sheldon Adelson dies

*link is to politico.com

#12439 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:21 PM

I think deutsche bank has been looking for an excuse to cut ties for a while. They fired his two personal bankers a while ago, or they were forced to resign I forget. The tax leaks strongly suggest trump took them for a ride and they were facing the risk of being owed 400 million dollars by a sitting is president. This just lets them cut ties while making it not seem that they are avoiding criminal risk. That’s my 2 cents

#12440 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

'To overcome the bank's wariness, Mr. Trump agreed to personally guarantee most of the debt on all of the loans. That meant that if he defaulted, Deutsche Bank could seize his personal assets'

https://www.nytimes....-to-russia.html

... though most of his properties are money-losing garbage. Maybe they could sell the land (and auction off the pressing of the demolition button...)?...

'in the aftermath of Trump's earlier financial troubles "he could not get anybody in the United States to lend him anything. It was all coming out of Russia." [...]

The overseas money came initially in the form of new real-estate partnerships and the purchase of numerous Trump condos, said a former real-estate partner of Trump's who witnessed the transformation of those years and later soured on Trump. "I think part of it was he was toxic to the banks. I think he also probably learned that personal guarantees [on loans] weren't a brilliant idea either," [...] "So he was saying to himself, 'What else could I do in the world? I'll just convince people to buy my brand.' And the only people who were willing to buy it were [...] Russians, people who like the absurd, ostentatious gold-leaf lifestyle he has.'

https://foreignpolic...rumps-business/

Possibly big news:

'Mitch McConnell [...] has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party[...]

Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader and one of Mr. Trump's most steadfast allies in Congress, has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the riot at the Capitol last week[...]

[...] Trump has shown no trace of contrition, telling reporters on Tuesday that his remarks to supporters had been "totally appropriate," and that it was the specter of his impeachment that was "causing tremendous anger."

[...] the Senate Republican leader has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on from the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for causing Republicans to lose the Senate. Mr. McConnell has not spoken to Mr. Trump since mid-December, when the senator informed the president he would be recognizing Mr. Biden as president-elect[...]

[...] Biden telephoned Mr. McConnell to ask whether it was possible to set up a dual track that would allow the Senate to confirm Mr. Biden's cabinet nominees and hold a Senate trial at the same time[...] McConnell said it was a question for the Senate parliamentarian, and promised Mr. Biden a quick answer.'

https://www.nytimes....mpeachment.html

Probability of Trump being convicted (by the Senate) and barred from holding future office just went up dramatically in my mind....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 January 2021 - 11:14 PM

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users